Start by marking “Boots” as Want to Read:
Boots

Boots

An M/M Fairy Tale for the Modern Reader

Willem’s father never approved of his artistic talents, his choices in life, or the fact that he’s gay. When the only thing Horst leaves to Willem is the family cat, he thinks it’s his father’s last insult from the grave. That is, until the cat starts talking to him.

Though Willem’s lost his boyfriend, his home, and his job, Kasha, who
Published April 17th 2011 by Amber Allure (first published April 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Boots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boots

Vivian
Dec 25, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it
Reimagined telling of my favorite childhood fairy tale. I loved Puss N' Boots. I wanted to be him so bad with the boots, the feathered hat, and the sword. I really wanted a sword. Looked so cool. Machetes are cool, but not as elegant as a sword. Plus I had a machete, I didn't have a sword.

Anyway, I digress. Rating might be closer to 3 if I wasn't reminiscing, but it is charmingly funny and romantic with true love triumphing over ... Yeah, if I tell you I'd spoil it. Cute.
T.A. Webb
Nov 26, 2011 T.A. Webb rated it it was amazing
Willem is at a crossroads. He has lost his job, his cheating lover, his home, and his father. He was left $300 and the family cat, Puss. Refusing to stay with his older brother, he is unsure what to do next.

Puss is really Yorukaze, a kasha, a cat demon. Banished by one of the gods, he is sent from master to master to guide and assist. Unable to return home, he is at the mercy of those who choose to take his service. And he has been led to Willem and his family.

Pasha's job, it seems, it to find W
Christy Duke
I think having one of my cats suddenly begin speaking to me might be either the most terrifying thing in the world or the most fantastic. In my house it would depend on which cat did the talking. *grins* Regardless, I think I could understand Willem's denial when the family cat, Puss, suddenly spoke to him.

Willem is currently homeless and jobless and found his boyfriend in bed with another man, so he is also loveless. His father has just passed away and he left Willem $300 and the family cat. Pu
Susan65
Nov 12, 2011 Susan65 rated it really liked it
This is really a 4.5 and that's saying something because I generally do not like fairytales. This had it all; humor, sex, plot, more humor, more sex and a walking, talking cat that wears cowboy boots and a cowboy hat..hot damn.

It was short but had no added filler so the story flowed quite smoothly. It held my attention, it was funny in many parts, it was goofy in others with a little angst to break up all the giggling.

Really, if you want a cute read about a magical cat who shifts into a small bu
Enny
Apr 27, 2011 Enny rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book!!! Boots is a fantastic mixture of the Grimm brothers fairytale, Japanese folklore and a very, very sweet m/m romance. And it was very funny to boot!
Lilli *slowest reader ever*
May 05, 2011 Lilli *slowest reader ever* rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
I don’t have anything bad to say about this book. It just didn’t have a very strong impact on me.

It’s an inventive re-telling of the fairy tale “Puss in Boots” with an interesting mythical twist to it which was intriguing. Willem’s character was very likable and the perfect match for endearing Puss whose attitude, secrets and struggles added greatly to the story.

My not so enthusiastic rating might stem from the fact that since I’ve first heard the tale I’ve never been partial to the image of a
Diane
May 25, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and sexy reimagining of the Puss in Boots fairytale - complete with a sassy cat, witches and ogres! Oh my! :)
Tess
Feb 26, 2015 Tess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first ever shapeshifter story … and it's Puss 'n Boots!!
Very sweet, fairly short fantasy. Just what I was looking for.
Chris
Apr 17, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing
Excellent m/m fairy tale, based on Puss in Boots, about an estranged youngest son (going through some rough times) who inherits only $300 and the family cat when his father dies...
Bookwatcher
Jan 29, 2012 Bookwatcher rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: Lola
THE GAY EROTIC RETELLING OF Puss in Boots!!! Do I have to say more to convince you???

The plot is so good this book had my attention all the time. Nothing could distract me, from the dearest Willem and his demon kasha fairytale. I love everything, from the kasha smartass comments, to all the magic creatures around them.
So yes, read it if you want a magic story, with an amazing world.

The main characters couldn't be more precious. I can't find words to describe how much I love Willem. The human, fr
SueM
Just when life had already bought Willem low - betrayed by his lover, unemployed and homeless - Willem's father dies, leaving him $300 and a cat. Reeling from the blows that life has dealt him, Willem is sitting on a park bench, all his wordly possessions in a pack by his feet (well the cat is not in the pack, but it is sitting by his feet), when a voice startles him from his introspection. When he realizes that the voice is actually his cat talking, the story reveals itself to be a modern versi ...more
Ami

A modern retelling of "Puss in Boots": Willem is a very kind-hearted man, who just down on his luck after discovering his boyfriend cheated on him, losing his apartment, and having no job. When his father died, all Willem gets is the cat. Lucky for him, Kasha, the cat is not just a cat. He's actually a demon that has been punished and with his power, he will help Willem.

I find this story as cute and endearing. Who knows, Kasha who seems to be so confident in his cat form, is actually a
Hannah
3.5 stars.

Boots is a very endearing, imaginative take on the "Puss in Boots" story. I loved how the author worked elements of Japanese mythology into this classic western tale. The characters were great, and their love felt real even with limitied space to develop their romance. I do wish it had been longer, because I wanted to get to know Kasha a bit better and learn more about his history.
Emy
May 06, 2016 Emy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Willem loses his job, lover and apartment in quick succession, so imagine his disappointment when the only thing his father leaves him in his will is the old brewery cat. But this particular cat can talk, and soon Willem finds that his fortunes will change forever.

Boots is a retelling of the old puss in boots fairytale, and, let me just say, it is one of the most adorable books I've ever read! <3

It is a very character driven story, as Willem and Puss/Kasha tread along the well-known plot of t
Joyfully Jay
Dec 21, 2016 Joyfully Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kenna
A Joyfully Jay review.

3 stars

Let me start of with how I loved the concept of Boots. I’ve never read the original story. My only knowledge of Puss in Boots comes from Shrek. I’m a huge fan of cats, having five of my own. However, I didn’t feel a true connection to Boots. It had its moments, but there weren’t enough to make me love this book.

Willem and Kasha, as characters, were ok. Of course, I had an affinity with Kasha. He IS a kitty, after all. I enjoyed his excitement over his new boots, and
Feliz
May 20, 2011 Feliz rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, shifter
The author took the familiar European literary fairytale and gave it an interesting exotic twist by adding in elements of Japanese mythology. This was brilliantly done; the different lores fit seamlessly together, making a fresh and original fantasy tale. Puss, the cat, is really a kasha, a Japanese cat demon, banished from the realms of the Gods by Amaterasu, the Sun Goddess, for defying her. Now Kasha has to live among humans, only getting to use his magic when someone claims him by giving him ...more
Rachel
Jun 19, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Willem has lost everything: his job, his cheating lover, his home and his father all in a short period of time. All that he has left is $300, a backpack of clothes, a storage room of his stuff and the family cat, Puss.

Puss's real name is Yorukaza he is a kasha or cat demon, who was banished by the sun god. He has been sent from master to master as a guide and to assist. 20 years ago he was sent to assist Willem and his family.

Kasha's has bought it upon himself to find Willem and job, a home and
Eden Winters
I had the privilege of hearing the author read an excerpt from the book at GayRomLit 2012, and from that time struggled to find time to read, finally downloading the story to my phone and reading whenever I could.

What a lovely retelling of Puss in Boots! Kasha so fit how I believe felines think and act, and Ms. Martinez's portrayal of him during her reading pulled me right in. I knew then and there I'd be buying this story.

Willem is delightful as the slightly clueless young man in distress, an
Momof3-in an Ash and Cael sandwich
3...maybe 4 stars...I was kinda like "whaaaaat?" a few times, but overall, it was fine, I guess. It's not my particular kind of story and that's basically what I took off the stars for. It wasn't poorly written or anything, though if it had been a little longer, I think that would have been good.
My issues were mostly with the whole "shifting" thing. He didn't "shift" enough for me...the whole "penile spines" and kitty tongue thing kind of ecks me out, but as far as a fairy tale, sweet little st
Catherine
Aug 13, 2011 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotic-romanc
A modern fairytale about a demon cat named Puss, Boots by Angel Martinez is anything but a children’s bedtime story. This male/male fantasy romance spins and old story with fresh fantasy, magic, witches, love, and one lawyer who happens to be an ogre. Don’t think the lawyer/ogre got past this reader. The love story between Willem and Kasha, the demon cat formerly known as Puss, is sculptured into an unforgettable read. Ms. Martinez draws in the reader on page one and never lets them go. This is ...more
Наталья
Mar 26, 2014 Наталья rated it really liked it
Дотянула до четверки.
Позабавила меня эта интерпретация "Кота в сапогах". Точное изложение сказочного сюжета в современной интерпретации(ну только короля с принцессой не было), постоянные отсылки на кота из "Шрэка", смешные (для меня) японские корни котофейской магичности - все это оставило приятный осадок.
 photo puss-in-boots_zps29915815.jpg
Juliebookworm
Jun 03, 2013 Juliebookworm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-fantasy
A very cute and clever retelling of Puss in Boots. It was sexy, funny, and all around enjoyable. And you can't go wrong with a cute, cowboy boots wearing kitty! The writing was very well done and I thought it was a unique telling of a classic story. Will check out more work by Ms. Martinez for sure!
Tamara (M'rella)
The story is cute and cuddly, just like The Puss :)
Unexpected twists and turns kept me reading through the night and into the wee hours. Nice and easy, sticking to the original story in all the important places, but with several surprises of its own, a dash of yaoi - a few very sexy scenes - and the books is a 5 star read :)
Pickles
Short and sweet! I'm a fan of fairy tale retellings in general, and I liked how the author combined the traditional "Puss in Boots" story with some Japanese mythology.
Michael Mandrake
Jul 16, 2011 Michael Mandrake rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is so unique, well written and one of my favorites.

Angel is such a great writer!

Alex
Aug 04, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing
4.5
Anna
A hot, sweet short story. A nice read, good for a lazy day.
Lola
May 07, 2011 Lola rated it it was amazing
Just like the Fairy tale only hot and gay and really sweet. Too short in my opinion but awesome!!
Karen
Jan 02, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
3.5 out of 5 stars

OK, I have to admit it. I love retold fairy tales! I love how an author can take a recognizable skeleton plot and add, change, twist, and fold it into something entirely new. I discovered them when my kids were in elementary school (East by Edith Pattou is one of my all time favorites), and have been reading them ever since. And I was so happy to find that they are a fairly popular sub-genre of M/M romance (Brute by Kim Fie
The Novel Approach Reviews
Reviewed by Cassie for The Novel Approach

I didn’t realize until I was about halfway through this story that the only thing I knew about the story of Puss in Boots was actually from the movie Shrek, so I jumped over to Wikipedia and looked that sucker up. I’m so glad I did, because half the fun of these retellings of fairytales that Angel Martinez is so good at is enjoying how the pieces of the original get their modern update, then enjoying where they get turned on their ear for the M/M update.
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • Paul's Dream (Touching Fire, #1)
  • Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1)
  • Hell Cop
  • Truth in the Dark
  • Caged
  • Dawn of Darkness (Daeva, #1)
  • Tentacles for the Brides Bouquet
  • Balancing Karma
  • Raincheck
  • Like a Sparrow Through the Heart (Like a Sparrow, #1)
  • Avoiding Hell's Gate (Hounds of Hell, #1)
  • Artie, The Good Witch
  • Lucky (Putnam County, #1)
  • Tatterdemalion (Foundations of Magic, #1)
  • Heartsong (Fae, #2)
  • By Chance Met (Chronicles of Ylandre, #3)
Angel Martinez currently lives part time in the hectic sprawl of northern Delaware and full time inside her head. She has one husband, one son, two cats, a love of all things beautiful and a terrible addiction to the consumption of both knowledge and chocolate.

Angel's alter ego writes the all-ages science fiction - Sandra Stixrude.
More about Angel Martinez...