Start by marking “Boots” as Want to Read:
Boots

Boots

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  49 reviews
An M/M Fairy Tale for the Modern Reader

Willem’s father never approved of his artistic talents, his choices in life, or the fact that he’s gay. When the only thing Horst leaves to Willem is the family cat, he thinks it’s his father’s last insult from the grave. That is, until the cat starts talking to him.

Though Willem’s lost his boyfriend, his home, and his job, Kasha, who
Published April 17th 2011 by Amber Allure (first published April 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Boots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boots

Truth in the Dark by Amy LaneDuck! by Kim DareCinder by Marie SextonThe Pedlar and the Bandit King by Kirby CrowThe Student Prince by FayJay
Best Gay books based on fairytales
7th out of 136 books — 283 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneThe Locker Room by Amy LaneDivide & Conquer by Abigail RouxBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton
Best M/M Romance Published in 2011
103rd out of 503 books — 985 voters

More lists with this book...

Vivian Archer
Reimagined telling of my favorite childhood fairy tale. I loved Puss N' Boots. I wanted to be him so bad with the boots, the feathered hat, and the sword. I really wanted a sword. Looked so cool. Machetes are cool, but not as elegant as a sword. Plus I had a machete, I didn't have a sword.

Anyway, I digress. Rating might be closer to 3 if I wasn't reminiscing, but it is charmingly funny and romantic with true love triumphing over ... Yeah, if I tell you I'd spoil it. Cute.
T.A. Webb
Willem is at a crossroads. He has lost his job, his cheating lover, his home, and his father. He was left $300 and the family cat, Puss. Refusing to stay with his older brother, he is unsure what to do next.

Puss is really Yorukaze, a kasha, a cat demon. Banished by one of the gods, he is sent from master to master to guide and assist. Unable to return home, he is at the mercy of those who choose to take his service. And he has been led to Willem and his family.

Pasha's job, it seems, it to find W
Susan65
This is really a 4.5 and that's saying something because I generally do not like fairytales. This had it all; humor, sex, plot, more humor, more sex and a walking, talking cat that wears cowboy boots and a cowboy hat..hot damn.

It was short but had no added filler so the story flowed quite smoothly. It held my attention, it was funny in many parts, it was goofy in others with a little angst to break up all the giggling.

Really, if you want a cute read about a magical cat who shifts into a small bu
Enny
I LOVED this book!!! Boots is a fantastic mixture of the Grimm brothers fairytale, Japanese folklore and a very, very sweet m/m romance. And it was very funny to boot!
Lilli *slowest reader ever*
I don’t have anything bad to say about this book. It just didn’t have a very strong impact on me.

It’s an inventive re-telling of the fairy tale “Puss in Boots” with an interesting mythical twist to it which was intriguing. Willem’s character was very likable and the perfect match for endearing Puss whose attitude, secrets and struggles added greatly to the story.

My not so enthusiastic rating might stem from the fact that since I’ve first heard the tale I’ve never been partial to the image of a
Chris
Excellent m/m fairy tale, based on Puss in Boots, about an estranged youngest son (going through some rough times) who inherits only $300 and the family cat when his father dies...
Diane
A wonderful and sexy reimagining of the Puss in Boots fairytale - complete with a sassy cat, witches and ogres! Oh my! :)
Christy Loves 2 Read
I think having one of my cats suddenly begin speaking to me might be either the most terrifying thing in the world or the most fantastic. In my house it would depend on which cat did the talking. *grins* Regardless, I think I could understand Willem's denial when the family cat, Puss, suddenly spoke to him.

Willem is currently homeless and jobless and found his boyfriend in bed with another man, so he is also loveless. His father has just passed away and he left Willem $300 and the family cat. Pu
SueM
Just when life had already bought Willem low - betrayed by his lover, unemployed and homeless - Willem's father dies, leaving him $300 and a cat. Reeling from the blows that life has dealt him, Willem is sitting on a park bench, all his wordly possessions in a pack by his feet (well the cat is not in the pack, but it is sitting by his feet), when a voice startles him from his introspection. When he realizes that the voice is actually his cat talking, the story reveals itself to be a modern versi ...more
Bookwatcher
Jan 29, 2012 Bookwatcher rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: Lola
THE GAY EROTIC RETELLING OF Puss in Boots!!! Do I have to say more to convince you???

The plot is so good this book had my attention all the time. Nothing could distract me, from the dearest Willem and his demon kasha fairytale. I love everything, from the kasha smartass comments, to all the magic creatures around them.
So yes, read it if you want a magic story, with an amazing world.

The main characters couldn't be more precious. I can't find words to describe how much I love Willem. The human, fr
Ami

A modern retelling of "Puss in Boots": Willem is a very kind-hearted man, who just down on his luck after discovering his boyfriend cheated on him, losing his apartment, and having no job. When his father died, all Willem gets is the cat. Lucky for him, Kasha, the cat is not just a cat. He's actually a demon that has been punished and with his power, he will help Willem.

I find this story as cute and endearing. Who knows, Kasha who seems to be so confident in his cat form, is actually a
Hannah
3.5 stars.

Boots is a very endearing, imaginative take on the "Puss in Boots" story. I loved how the author worked elements of Japanese mythology into this classic western tale. The characters were great, and their love felt real even with limitied space to develop their romance. I do wish it had been longer, because I wanted to get to know Kasha a bit better and learn more about his history.
Emy
Willem loses his job, lover and apartment in quick succession, so imagine his disappointment when the only thing his father leaves him in his will is the old brewery cat. But this particular cat can talk, and soon Willem finds that his fortunes will change forever.

Boots is a retelling of the old puss in boots fairytale, and, let me just say, it is one of the most adorable books I've ever read! <3

It is a very character driven story, as Willem and Puss/Kasha tread along the well-known plot of t
Rachel
Willem has lost everything: his job, his cheating lover, his home and his father all in a short period of time. All that he has left is $300, a backpack of clothes, a storage room of his stuff and the family cat, Puss.

Puss's real name is Yorukaza he is a kasha or cat demon, who was banished by the sun god. He has been sent from master to master as a guide and to assist. 20 years ago he was sent to assist Willem and his family.

Kasha's has bought it upon himself to find Willem and job, a home and
Feliz
The author took the familiar European literary fairytale and gave it an interesting exotic twist by adding in elements of Japanese mythology. This was brilliantly done; the different lores fit seamlessly together, making a fresh and original fantasy tale. Puss, the cat, is really a kasha, a Japanese cat demon, banished from the realms of the Gods by Amaterasu, the Sun Goddess, for defying her. Now Kasha has to live among humans, only getting to use his magic when someone claims him by giving him ...more
Eden Winters
I had the privilege of hearing the author read an excerpt from the book at GayRomLit 2012, and from that time struggled to find time to read, finally downloading the story to my phone and reading whenever I could.

What a lovely retelling of Puss in Boots! Kasha so fit how I believe felines think and act, and Ms. Martinez's portrayal of him during her reading pulled me right in. I knew then and there I'd be buying this story.

Willem is delightful as the slightly clueless young man in distress, an
Momof3-Ater is mine!
3...maybe 4 stars...I was kinda like "whaaaaat?" a few times, but overall, it was fine, I guess. It's not my particular kind of story and that's basically what I took off the stars for. It wasn't poorly written or anything, though if it had been a little longer, I think that would have been good.
My issues were mostly with the whole "shifting" thing. He didn't "shift" enough for me...the whole "penile spines" and kitty tongue thing kind of ecks me out, but as far as a fairy tale, sweet little st
Catherine
A modern fairytale about a demon cat named Puss, Boots by Angel Martinez is anything but a children’s bedtime story. This male/male fantasy romance spins and old story with fresh fantasy, magic, witches, love, and one lawyer who happens to be an ogre. Don’t think the lawyer/ogre got past this reader. The love story between Willem and Kasha, the demon cat formerly known as Puss, is sculptured into an unforgettable read. Ms. Martinez draws in the reader on page one and never lets them go. This is ...more
Наталья
Дотянула до четверки.
Позабавила меня эта интерпретация "Кота в сапогах". Точное изложение сказочного сюжета в современной интерпретации(ну только короля с принцессой не было), постоянные отсылки на кота из "Шрэка", смешные (для меня) японские корни котофейской магичности - все это оставило приятный осадок.
 photo puss-in-boots_zps29915815.jpg
Charly
A cute little fairy tale

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- This is an original idea for a story. I haven’t read anything else quite like it.
- The story is short, but Martinez manages to pack quite a bit of hurt/comfort punch into it without any truly hard-hitting angst. The sad passages are brief and are followed quickly by sweet ones.
- There are some amusing moments, particularly when Kasha works magic in his feline form and people can’t f
Juliebookworm
A very cute and clever retelling of Puss in Boots. It was sexy, funny, and all around enjoyable. And you can't go wrong with a cute, cowboy boots wearing kitty! The writing was very well done and I thought it was a unique telling of a classic story. Will check out more work by Ms. Martinez for sure!
Harper
Short and sweet! I'm a fan of fairy tale retellings in general, and I liked how the author combined the traditional "Puss in Boots" story with some Japanese mythology.
Michael Mandrake
This book is so unique, well written and one of my favorites.

Angel is such a great writer!

Lola
Just like the Fairy tale only hot and gay and really sweet. Too short in my opinion but awesome!!
Anna
A hot, sweet short story. A nice read, good for a lazy day.
L-D
3.5 stars. This is a shameless retelling of the French fairytale Puss in Boots, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. In the original story, the third and youngest son of a miller receives a cat as an inheritance while his brothers receive the mill and the mules. Willem is the third and youngest son in this retelling. Willem receives the puss, his brother Gunther receives the brewery, while Kurt gets the truck. In both cases, puss uses trickery to try to make his master's fortune. If you haven't ...more
Miz Love
**possible plot spoilers**

When Willem finds out all he’s been left is the family cat from his late father, he is hurt, especially since he thought they had built bridges just prior to his death. This leaves Willem with no place to live—he recently broke up from his ex, who he caught having sex with another man (poor love)—and even though his brother says he’s welcome to live there until he finds his feet, Willem says no. I felt he needed some time alone, a bit of peace to help him come to terms
Bill
I think Angel was tokin' on some giggle-sticks when she wrote this one. :-) But, as always, a very entertaining read. Fun characters, good sex, and some action.
Omega696
Willem was a sweetheart but Kasha was the best part of the book.
  • Truth in the Dark
  • Paul's Dream
  • Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2)
  • Dawn of Darkness (Daeva, #1)
  • Caged
  • Heartsong (Fae, #2)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • Hell Cop
  • Earthly Desires (Tempting Tales, #1)
  • Raincheck
  • Like a Sparrow Through the Heart (Like a Sparrow, #1)
  • Tatterdemalion (Foundations of Magic, #1)
  • Inheritance (Dominion #1)
  • Lucky (Putnam County, #1)
  • Cinder: A CinderFella Story
  • The Seventh Veil (Etsey Novels, #1)
Angel Martinez currently lives part time in the hectic sprawl of northern Delaware and full time inside her head. She has one husband, one son, two cats, a love of all things beautiful and a terrible addiction to the consumption of both knowledge and chocolate.

Angel's alter ego writes the all-ages science fiction - Sandra Stixrude.
More about Angel Martinez...
Prisoner 374215 Gravitational Attraction Finn (Endangered Fae #1) Vassily the Beautiful (The ESTO Universe, #1) Rarely Pure and Never Simple (Variant Configurations  #1)