Start by marking “Jump First” as Want to Read:
Jump First

Jump First

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  286 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
For Heath, the star highlight of every week is attending his writers’ group meeting. The leader, Marguerite May, writes romance novels, and not just any kind: The dude/dude kind that are so freakin hot, Heath gets embarrassed to critique them. But don't tell anybody: He secretly adores her books and buys them all. With a fake ID.

Marguerite’s son, Ryan, just happens to be t
Published May 4th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published May 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Jump First, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jump First

Jade Archer
May 12, 2011 Jade Archer rated it really liked it
Okay dokey...they say confession is good for the soul, so here goes...In the spirit of full disclosure I want to say up front that I consider Charles Edward my friend and I did critique part of this story before publication. Having said that, I'm not in the habit of recommending books to others I don't enjoy, and I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed this story!

A Brief Overview : Take one young, gifted writer (Heath), mix with a cast of writers and authors from all walks of life and one opinio
Ami
May 04, 2011 Ami rated it liked it
What amuses me most about Jump First is the writing group scenes. I can imagine it so easily in my head, how these want-to-be-published writers meet and try to make each other's stories better. I also enjoy the voice of the narrator, Stuart (the story is written in 1st person view); his monologue/thoughts can be downright funny as hell.

Like this, for example ...

And then he took me in deep.
Oh!
That last “Oh”? Pretend it was followed by about thirty exclamation points. Real writers don‟t d
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
3.5

Were there little things about this book that threw me off? Yeah, there were but the story's cute factor was high, making me push aside every little thing that bothered me.

I was in the mood for something sweet. Heath and Ryan were just what I needed.

I imagine that one of the hardest things about writing characters in their late teens is trying to catch the essence of that teen mentality. A lot of authors strip their 18 and 19 year old characters of that last bit of the bumbling innocence that
A.B. Gayle
Jun 10, 2011 A.B. Gayle rated it really liked it
First up, I should mention that I helped Charles edit this book. However, I don't think that precludes me from rating it as really the book was there before I started.

Sure I helped him tweak a few paragraphs around and got him to expand a couple of sections, but my input was minor.

What I really liked about this book was that he got the voice, thoughts, insecurities and motivations of a young man just right.

It wasn't an easy job writing a book where the background is the scene of the genre it's s
Isabella
Aug 09, 2011 Isabella rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful!!!

MJ suggested to people to read your latest release and I went and got this story to see what it was all about. I loved it, which in my world means you just got yourself another fan who loves your writing.

The story was too endearing for words. A little bit of misdirection, a surprised mom, mild BDSM and a beautiful love story. Basically all the ingredients of a kick ass book.
May 30, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Holy awesome snark! The entire book is basically a caricature of writing groups, which makes it both incredibly funny and vaguely offensive. I liked the definite teenage boy feel of everything. The romance in this is just perfectly paced, to the extent that I want to wag my finger at some other authors. I did feel that they should have been a little slower jumping into bed together, but this is a novella, and there's only so much time for such things to happen in.

Some problems-

These people aren'
Kathleen
Dec 13, 2011 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Initially, I steered clear of this book because I was not attracted to the cover (yes I occasionally judge a book by its cover...so sue me). But I heard good things about it so I decided to give it a shot. I am very glad that I did!!! This was a fun story about a high school senior realizing the boy he has crushed on for ages likes him too but it is also so much more. =) Throw in a little self deprecating humor, horny swimming and two adorable MCs and you get this wonderful book. If you have eve ...more
Anna May
May 09, 2011 Anna May rated it did not like it
The story line was good, had a lot of humour in it. But I couldn't warm up to any of the characters. I thought Heath was acting silly at times and while I could understand Ryan's motivation, I still fail to find any shred of sympathy for Margarite.

Overall I have to say the book didn't hold my interest even though it had some good points going for it. The writing was descriptive but the characters simply weren't likeable to me.

It would seem I am in a minority with his, having read the other opini
Katharina
Dec 23, 2013 Katharina rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, humour
3.75

A very sweet, short read, with two charming high school boys as the main characters. There were several elements here that I really enjoyed - the writing group scenes, for example, and Heath, the protagonist: he's the perfect kind of geeky, nice, but not a push-over in the least.

I didn't like Ryan's mother that much - I know that this is intended, but even as a character she seemed too flat to me, too easily categorised.

Still, this story was very enjoyable to read. I'm not that much into You
Roger Kean
Jun 18, 2011 Roger Kean rated it really liked it
Will high-schooler Heath ever write something worthwhile? Will Ryan, the most gorgeous guy in the universe, come across for him? Will Ry's successful author-mother ever see the error of her ways? Neat characters, a lesson in how to plot and write a book, a central mystery solved, and…very hot M/M sex. What more could you want in a novella?
Carly
Aug 13, 2011 Carly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, m-m, teens
Ryan's final line is one of the cutest declarations I have ever heard or read. And the whole story is such a wonderful mess of fear and bravery and hotness and writing fiction. Love Heath's voice. Love Tippy.
Alec
Mar 27, 2012 Alec rated it really liked it
Shelves: laughs
This was a very sweet first love story with an interesting inside scoop to the writing process as well as the specifics of writing M/M.
Dark Divas
Jul 05, 2011 Dark Divas rated it really liked it
Truly, a delightful and original tale. To read this review in its entirety, please visit http://www.darkdivasreviews.com/?p=5584
Lasha
May 31, 2011 Lasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: darkdivasreviews
AJ
Jun 15, 2011 AJ rated it really liked it
Heath is a shy teenager who is thrilled to be invited to join his favorite author, Marguerite May’s, critique group. The bonus to this weekly meeting is seeing her son Ryan. Little does Heath know he was asked to join the group for alterative motives. Ryan and his mother are keeping a secret from the group and the world at large.

Ryan is harboring deep feelings for Heath but unsure if Heath shares the same attraction. Ryan uses Heath’s love of storytelling and writing to get to know him on a mor
ManOhMan
Aug 15, 2011 ManOhMan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Reviewed by Jamie: What a delight this story was! I devoured it very quickly and know I will read it again.

The plot features Heath, a sweet and shy high school senior who desperately wants to write so visits a writer's group every week, chaired by a published author who writes saucy male/male romance. Heath doesn't let the other writers in the group know that he adores reading the male/male themes in secret, as he's too shy to come out, especially to the author's own handsome son, Ryan, who just
Elisa Rolle
I think Jump First was intended to be a light coming of age story, but I read a touch of bitterness that made it not so light to my eyes. First of all, while the author tried to make Marguerite a nice character to the reader’s eyes, at least at the beginning, I had an instinctively aversion on her regards. She seemed to me fake, and I tried to understand if the author was referencing to someone real, or if he was simply directing a group. In any case my first reaction to her was in the end the r ...more
Ana
Mar 26, 2014 Ana rated it liked it
Stacey Jo
What an awesome book! It's going on my favorites shelf and I'd happily dish out a sixth star if I could. It was so well written.

I love how Heath really seems to come into his own by the end. He seems so quiet and timid at first. And I thought it was really sweet how Ryan tested him out to see if he was interested. By the end, Heath really knows what he wants :o) There's a twist that's pretty cool too. I disliked Marguerite from the start and never did grow to like her much even though she seeme
Amy
Dec 03, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbtq, 2011
As I am in a critique group as well (and subject some of them to my tame glbtq stories), I just HAD to read this. As far as the romance goes, I was very pleased by it. The boys were sweet together and the story had very hot romance without being PWP (plot? What plot?).

What I didn't think worked so well, was the mother. She went from one extreme to the other. I loved being able to hate her, but then she was all better and understanding by the next chapter. Maybe we just didn't get to see the tran
Kira
May 15, 2011 Kira rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, family, teens

I just finished reading this, and I have to say I haven't read such a funny, light, cute and sexy little story in a while.

For one,it perfectly conveys some of the emotions everyone goes through with their first, more or less unrequited crush. That was excellently told. I loved all the inner musings of Heath and all the humor in this little story.

It was wonderful, quite realistic and as a writer and a not-straight person, I could totally identify with the characters.

Very nice writing, perfect len
Becky
Aug 13, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011, m-m
I liked this one quite a bit. Heath and Ryan were sweet, and their attraction completely believable. The twist revealed in the second half of the story was implausible at best, and I found it highly unlikely that they'd be so aware of their own desires and sexually in sync right off the bat (they are after all teenagers, and all though it's never explicitly stated, the suggestion is that neither have any experience). But I was willing to go along with the fantasy for the sake of a fun story.
Lily
Sep 06, 2011 Lily rated it really liked it
I thought this book depicted a very realistic situation between two guys who are pussy footing around with their relationship. Heath is part of a book critique group and Ryan is the son of the woman who runs the group.

Sparks fly between them but they are both reluctant to go further. I loved the pacing and how these two men finally get it together.

Ociany
Jun 26, 2011 Ociany rated it really liked it
Great story but kind of short. The sex scenes were light compared to others and the plot kind of simple. But there's minimum angst so it makes for a perfect light reading material. If you are looking for a complex plot with a litmus character development this is not for you. But if you're looking for a nice mm story to introduce you to the genre, this is perfect.
Brandon Fox
May 08, 2011 Brandon Fox rated it it was amazing
This story has all the right elements: engaging characters, humor, drama, polished writing and a plot that moves right along. The dialogue is extremely well done and the sexy parts are entertaining. Another thing that stands out is the adept use of descriptions to make the story feel very realistic. Hopefully we'll see a lot more of this author's work.
Jess Candela
Sep 28, 2011 Jess Candela rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2011
Sweet story, I really enjoyed it. The writing group scenes were an utter delight. The teenagers really seemed like teenagers to me, teetering on that cusp between childhood and adulthood. And the mother was, I thought, realistically portrayed through teenage eyes. Especially through disillusioned teenage eyes in major lust with her son.
Jennifer Wardrip
Part coming-of-age tale, part teen m/m romance, part hilarious parody of a writer's critique group. I enjoyed the writing style, and the plot wasn't bad, but I have to admit that I enjoyed the subplot of the writer's group (and Marguerite May) than the actual main plot of the two teenage boys growing into their sexuality.
Dena
Oct 17, 2013 Dena rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, ya-na
3.5* Really cute story--I did think the love scenes were a little advanced for two boys, even though they were very familiar with m/m romance books. I would have liked an apology from the Mom for her extreme rudeness to, well, pretty much everybody. Still I enjoyed it and will read more from this author.
leigh
Jul 01, 2012 leigh rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-bn
Sweet teen/young adult story with the amusingly meta angle of a M/M authors writing group for a milieu. Ryan was a little too inscrutable for me, but Heath quite obviously loved him that way. Ryan's mom was somewhat over the top as well. The boys' first coming together was very touchingly done.
Nene
May 07, 2011 Nene rated it it was amazing
This is one of those stories that has you grinning from ear to ear. You just really *like* Heath and want good things for him, and you get what he's going through!! So stinking sweet! I will admit that the last bit threw me for a loop, but not really in a bad way. Just surprised me.

• When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • If I Must
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • Slow Bloom (Slow Bloom #1)
  • Fugly (connected by Jackson Spey #9)
  • Things I'll Never Say
  • Deefur Dog (Deefur, #1)
  • Broken Bones, Mended Hearts
  • Lift Me Up
  • Left of Centre
  • All Stirred Up (Stir, #2)
  • Prove It
  • Squire (Indigo Knights, #1)
  • College Boys (Men of Holsum College, #1)
  • Summer (Seasons of Love, #2)
  • Abandoned (Little Boy Lost, #2)
  • The Sound of Your Voice