Start by marking “The Final Judgment” as Want to Read:
The Final Judgment

The Final Judgment

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  3,458 ratings  ·  86 reviews
A young man has been murdered. His girlfriend, twenty-two-year-old Brett Allen, is found at the scene of the crime. She claims she is innocent--even though she's dripping in blood, the murder weapon covered with her fingerprints. Enter attorney Caroline Masters, Brett's estranged aunt. She's been summoned back to her affluent New England hometown to help Brett out of this ...more
Published November 29th 2011 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Judgment, please sign up.

Asteropê I Googled and didn't see anything about an actual series. I did find this:

"One recent example is “The Final Judgment,” based on the Richard North…more
I Googled and didn't see anything about an actual series. I did find this:

"One recent example is “The Final Judgment,” based on the Richard North Patterson novel, acquired by Jaffe/Braunstein Films for an estimated high-six-figure sum against more than $1 million, to be produced as an NBC miniseries." http://variety.com/1995/more/news/net...

It sounds like they optioned it and/or bought the rights to it, but didn't actually make it?

It looks like Degree of Guilt and Silent Witness were make into TV-Movie/mini-series, though.

I didn't see a list for this book on his IMDB, where it if were made, he could have been credited.

Christina
I REALLY enjoyed this author! A very compelling story with intrigue from the start about a middle aged attorney on the cusp of receiving a Presidential nomination to a judgeship who is then thrust back unwittingly to her hometown and long estranged family. The writing is sharp, focused, not overly descriptive or bogged down with minutiae. The pace is very good flipping back to the past at just the right times to fill in pockets of history necessary to the murder mystery unfolding in the present. ...more
Jeff Dickison
Good tale by Mr. Patterson. Caroline Masters is called back to her hometown in New England to defend her neice who has been unjustly accused for a murder. Recommended!
lynn
Caroline Masters is awaiting appointment to judge on the Appeals Court, something for which she has aspired from a very young age. Then her niece is charged with the gruesome murder of her boyfriend and Caroline's father asks her to return home to defend her. This brings forth all kinds of memories as she has not been home on over 20 years. The flashbacks to her childhood and the nuances of a dysfunctional family make for an intriguing tale, not to mention all the emotions surrounding her prepar ...more
Amy L. Campbell
Pretty standard murder mystery plus court room drama with some familial angst thrown in on top. Characterizations are decent, if a little dated. The twist ending was pretty predictable, although I didn't quite know who the murderer was until the reveal. The writing is a bit clunky in some areas, but is a vast improvement over some of the more current drivel I've forced myself to read recently. This is not my typical genre, but I would probably be willing to give Patterson another shot.

Caroline M
Colin
A good read, the heroine Caroline Masters is about to be appointed as a court judge when she hears that her niece is suspected of the murder of her boyfriend. She travels to where her family, including Caroline's father, live which is on the North East Coast of America. There are a couple of flashbacks - one where we find that Caroline's mother died in a car crash after having an affair with a local lothario and the other tells us that Caroline had a fling with a man who was a Vietnam draft dodg ...more
~mad
from amazon.com:
"Richard North Patterson frequently rejects the label "legal thriller" for his novels, and The Final Judgement works hard to transcend this limiting category. A cleverly assembled murder mystery told with rich prose ("Moonlight refracted on the still, obsidian waters of the lake and traced the pines and birches and elms surrounding it. The only sound Brett heard was the rise and fall of James's breathing.") and filled with a cast of quirky small-town New Englanders, the novel ul
Karol
Deb
After reading Protect and Defend, the book in which Caroline Masters is nominated for Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, I wanted to read the book which supplies her back story and that of her daughter Brett. The plot is fast paced and compelling but, as with other Patterson books, the number of horrors one family inflicts on itself is incredible. Why Betty would tell her father about Caroline's illicit boyfriend, for example, is a little hard to swallow. Was her father supposed to be so gratef ...more
Jennifer Morefield
I thought this was a very good who-dun-it with lots of twists and turns. This is an older book, but it is very good. I did not see the ending coming, but when it did, it made perfect sense. I will likely look into some of Richard North Patterson's other books. Don't know why the pages are listed as 0 because the book is over 500 pages long. Whatever... A worthy read!
Mary
Caroline Masters is a lawyer. Her father is a retired judge & Caroline has high hopes of becoming a judge. She is being considered for an appointment to the U.S. Court of Appeals. Just as everything she has worked so hard for & hoped for is about to happen, she receives a plea for help from a family member on the opposite coast where Caroline currently resides. There are several reasons for Caroline's decision to live as far away from her family as she could possibly get and yet she is d ...more
Kevin
The book has two parallel stories that intersect at the end. Part of the book is a murder investigation / courtroom drama and the other part is a story about the young woman who is a defense lawyer in the court case. The book had me guessing until the end. There are multiple possibilities and I didn't have it figured out completely until I read the end - just the way I like it. The characters are convincing; they feel real. The family drama will probably be familiar in tone to many of us. All in ...more
Laurie Dougherty
I enjoyed this book very much. It gave a great insight into the character of Caroline Masters. I had read the book Degree of Guilt before this one so gaining insight into her character was great. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed "Degree of Guilt" and/or "Eyes of A Child".
Jane Glen
Not my favourite by a long shot. Predictable and somewhat corny at time. Not enough depth of character to suit me.
Mary Jo
A new author for me. I liked the storyline and the characters were well done in that damaged way.
Al Canary
A good read with many backstories, mostly about the "Chamber's Clan", finally coming around to the trial at hand with "Brett" the youngest of the tribe. Also a very interesting weave of the possible "suspects" thru gentle plot twists and a (semi-expected conclusion.)
Charlene Gordon
Good book. Read this in 1998.
Levent Mollamustafaoglu
Familiar, Grisham-like court drama. Loses pace in the middle of the book, so I almost lost interest.
Avvincente legal-thriller. La storia segue due filoni: uno è quello dell'assassinio di James Case e l'altro è la storia di Caroline Masters, brillante avvocato chiamata a proteggere sua nipote Brett da un'accusa di omicidio. La lettura è intervallata da vari flashback, che ci fanno capire il passato di Caroline, il perché del rapporto conflittuale con la sua famiglia. Ho trovato più interessante le vicende famigliari che il caso d'omicidio, anche se le due cose sono collegate.
Roxann
This book has some subplots within the main story. There are also lots of twists. The main story is about one of Patterson's recurring characters, Caroline Masters. Caroline's character is about to become a judge when she is called 'back home' because her niece is charged with murdering a boyfriend. This book does give a little more background into Caroline and who and why she is the way she is. Good book, but I could have done without as many subplots and twists.
Suzanne
Richard North Patterson has written a book that I believe to be very Scott Turow-esque. The plot involved a murder, a who done it, and a trial but intermixed with all of that was the story of the family. This included a family dynamic that was far from healthy. It demonstrated that the choices made in the past could continue to reverberate into the future. I enjoyed the book and found the courtroom scenes particularly vivid and interesting.
Aubrey
Good read. A mix of legal, mystery and love story.
Simon Booth
enjoyed it
slow at times
Scott
I have been looking for a new author and I think I found him with Richard North Patterson. The Final Judgment is excellent. I like that it takes place in New Hampshire. His description of New England is excellent and reminded me a lot of when we lived in Vermont. It is a most entertaining legal thriller with several twists and turns along the way. I struggled with putting it down. A must read.
Vicki
I liked this book. Just when I thought I knew where it was going, it took a different twist
Carrie Zagzebski
This is the 2nd book I've read by this author and am officially a big fan! This book moves at a good pace, keeping my interest. There is some back and fourth between time periods, but not in a way that made it confusing for me at all. By the end of the book, no question was left unanswered. I have more books by this author on my book shelf and I'll be reading them very soon.
Frederick Bingham
A page turner. The story is about Caroline Masters, a California lawyer called back to her hometown in New Hampshire to defend her niece who is accused of murdering her boyfriend. The book is about family secrets and one's relationship to the past. It is a legal thriller partially set in a courtroom where Masters is trying to discredit the prosecution witnesses.
Min
While I like the plot, I wish the legalities of it weren't laughable. I realise that including every step of the legal process would be boring, but I wish the author would at least make the courtroom scenes more realistic and grounded in legal theory. And, dude, if you're going to write about an attorney, at least "judgment" the way the law does.
Joy
Andrea Schoellkopf
An absorbing book about strong women characters with a mystery tied in. However, there is a typical lack-of-depth in the female characters that is so often typical with male authors, unfortunately. The main character, Carolyn Masters, feels like she is making decisions from a male point of view. But otherwise, quite interesting in detail and plot.
Vicki Mollenauer
Loved the story and characters, but the ending was too predictable for my taste. So much went into the development of the characters, but the foreshadowing was too obvious in the plot line. When the moment of revelation came, it had been so obvious for 200 pages or so that I didn't get that wow moment I would have liked.
  • The Laws Of Our Fathers (Kindle County, #4)
  • Reasonable Doubt
  • Undue Influence (Paul Madriani, #3)
  • Abuse Of Power
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • After Dark
  • Corruption of Blood (Butch Karp, #6)
  • The First Counsel
Richard North Patterson is the author of fourteen previous bestselling and critically acclaimed novels. Formerly a trial lawyer, Patterson served as the SEC’s liaison to the Watergate special prosecutor and has served on the boards of several Washington advocacy groups dealing with gun violence, political reform, and women’s rights. He lives in San Francisco and on Martha’s Vineyard.
Macmillan.com
More about Richard North Patterson...
Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2) Silent Witness (Tony Lord #2) Eyes of a Child (Christopher Paget, #3) Protect and Defend (Kerry Kilcannon, #2) Exile

“The rulings of the past do not always apply in the present.” 8 likes