Start by marking “One Day My Soul Just Opened Up: 40 Days And 40 Nights Toward Spiritual Strength And Personal Growth” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,896 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
From Iyanla Vanzant, the star of the hit OWN network series Iyanla: Fix My Life!, One Day My Soul Just Opened Up is a program of inspiration and motivation that will help you work through problems and improve your emotional and spiritual health.

Through exercises and readings, Iyanla provides you with the tools to tap into your strengths and make your dreams come true. One
Published September 17th 1999 by Touchstone (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about One Day My Soul Just Opened Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day My Soul Just Opened Up

Jackie
May 05, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In Nov 1998 and through to March 9, 1999 – I read and worked with a book by Iyanla Vanzant, called:
One Day my Soul Just Opened Up. It was recommended to me by a dear friend, MaryAnn Kluga, and it was SO helpful. Here is a piece of the poem she read to me over the phone that convinced me to go find it, buy it, and do it. "You are now put on notice that... YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED!"

"One day, my soul just opened up
and out poured all the things
I'd been hiding
and denying
and living through
that had just
Marilyn Diamond
Oct 22, 2009 Marilyn Diamond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book got me through a rough divorce.
Shalonda Williams
Nov 11, 2009 Shalonda Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those seeking their personal, spiritual TRUTH
Everyday is a new experience with mind renewal. Thinking that we know ourselves and actually knowing ourselves are two different things. I believe that reading this book brings that reality into focus.
Elynur Gambet
Jun 20, 2012 Elynur Gambet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
got a copy of this when i turned 18.. a gift from a childhood friend.. truly an inspiring book that opened my soul to possibilities of LIFE and to grow in spirit with HIM..
Jo
Aug 23, 2008 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE guide to being a decent human being co- exisiting in a society of other people (not my strength). skills that I find amazingly difficult to do on a daily basis. This book also comes on CD/tape. And that is particularly helpful when trying to really "get it". The author does a great job of breaking down the difficult areas and providing examples of when she had issues, and how to connect spiritually to find the strength to re think how you can be in the world. A book that you can come back to ...more
Gregg Bell
One Day My Soul Just Opened Up: 40 Days and 40 Nights Toward Spiritual Strength and Personal Growth is mostly filler. Like the author had a book due her publisher and had to pump it out for deadline.

It's full of worksheets and questions and affirmations like:

I am so GRATEFUL! I am so GRATEFUL! I am so GRATEFUL!

(Well, that'll change your life right there.)

But anyway, although the negatives are strong, there are some absolute gems in this book.

Are you working hard and feeling like you're not get
Adriana
Feb 01, 2015 Adriana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adriana by: adriannaa@gmail.com
A friend of mine gave this book to me. I had it on my shelf for some time. Then one evening, not knowing what to read, my eyes stopped at the brighness of the cover and I realized I needed some light in my life. I had unfortunately, been experiencing some turmoil in my life. I did not expect to enjoy, learn, or get as much out of it as I did. But I was greatly greatful for it's accompaniment and lectures during this tough time. It is a powerful book.
Kat
I struggle to do this book daily because I have a hard time trying to do something in the morning and at night. I do find that I agree with what it says a lot, I just tend to do most of my daily meditations once a day and not twice a day. It also makes you think a lot because of all the questions it asks.
Judi
Jan 16, 2016 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second or third time through this book. It is uplifting, but in a very down-to-earth way. Iyanla has been married and divorced, remarried, has adult children, practiced law and then chose not to, became a writer and even a minister.

The book is divided into two-or-three page chapters, with space for written reflection. You can read one section per day, or choose your own pace. She summarizes the main concepts at the end, and says she could have written the entire book in five pages. (
Pg
May 29, 2012 Pg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. It's a must for anyone who has questions that can only be answered by looking within. I give this book to anyone who is having any kind of emotional, spiritual, personal, and financial problems.

It makes a great gift, anytime of the year.
Suzie
Sep 02, 2009 Suzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is also a yummy read. Allows one to keep focused on changing old/outdated/toxic patterns and forging ahead toward the life you want to lead. Excellent read.
Lareynolds
Apr 13, 2016 Lareynolds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal read for anyone in the process of soul work! This book is for anyone who enjoys maintaining a positive outlook on life and knows that gratitude and day-to-day joy can only come from healing old wounds from the past (that we may not even realize are there). I thoroughly enjoyed this book and, quite frankly, I finished it way before the 40 days. Iyanla Vanzant demonstrates how very important it is to take a very close and REAL look at who we are, why we are the way we are, and how to fe ...more
Amanda
Jan 04, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was a really good book and I am sure I will be referencing back to many of the chapters again and again.
Laquarn Michaels
AWESOME!
Dawn Johnson
I received this book to read from my sister and I did go through it! While I have some respect for her due to her experiences and suggestions I found this book a bit cumbersome. It almost seemed that there was a page requirement for her publisher. I am also a different spiritual seeker, so I found this book a bit off the mark for me.
Kim
Apr 16, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A meditation and insight for every day! Some will stand out more than others, but make no mistake: there's something for everyone ... and the key is to honestly 'listen' to what you need to do!
Maki
Jun 30, 2014 Maki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic journal to get you through the tough times. Fabulous mentor and speaker, speaks from the heart and about her own choices in life and how it affected her life and those around her.
Ronnie Mack-Gabriel
My mother gave this book to me. It is a lovely daily affirmation of faith.
MizzSandie
So, for some reason I had gotten the impression that this book was something completely different than it was. Must have gotten it mixed up with some other author.
And that's not the book's fault of course, but the first pangs of disappointment stemmed from that.
And then, it just didn't bring me any new insight or clarity or intrigue. I felt like this was something I read a long time ago, but that I've sort of passed that point by now. Like this was somewhat Basic stuff, which is important too, b
Lindsay O'callaghan
One of the most inspiring beautifully written books I have ever read.
Diane
Jun 13, 2015 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An inspirational, motivational and practical book.
Carolyn Parker
Mar 08, 2015 Carolyn Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent...on my third read.....
LeeLee
Jan 22, 2015 LeeLee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
actual rating 4.5
Christa
Once again, it takes much courage and openness to understand her books and actually make she teach work. Very inspirational and thought-provoking.
Christine
Mar 06, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Iyanla's since the The Oprah Winfrey Show was in full swing. I've referred to this book during several times of transition over the course of my life and each time, I learn something new about myself. The book has great passages on a variety of topics (Faith, Balance, Discipline, etc.)as well as exercises for reflection. It's inspiring to chart one's progress without it feeling like "work." Would love to read something new of hers.
Vickie Ventura
Nov 24, 2014 Vickie Ventura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate the way Vanzant offers perspective in this book. I have read each page but am by no means finished with it. As she promotes several principles I know that I will find myself reviewing different chapters in the future. I would recommend this book to anyone finding themselves lost or apprehensive about their future. There is a calming effect in the reflection exercises.
Alice
Apr 15, 2008 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think that I benefited by just learning to reflect on situations and meditate about how I am in control of the good & challenging things that happen to me. In fact ‘things’ don’t happen ‘to’ me but rather, I am part of events that happen! This is all said in hindsight as I'm writing this review years after I read part of this book, & admit I did not finish the book.
Amanda Hains
Jul 12, 2016 Amanda Hains rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysticism
I really loved this book. I read it at the beginning of my spiritual journey and it has been with me ever since. It is like reading a letter from a best friend. Kind, warm, deep, great advice that is easy to understand and implement in your own life. It made a big positive impact on the way that I viewed my thought patterns and the way that I was treating myself.
Hanan
Sep 02, 2015 Hanan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is literally a treasure , from page 1 u'll find urself indulging in it And it will talk about u at some phase of your life not only , but also it gives u the steps how to move on from it.
i so much recommend it to anyone who is willing to change for better or whatever kind you are it 'll suit u perfectly(Y)
Elise
Sep 07, 2014 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book of hers I had read and fell in love with her style and honesty. Oh yes, you need to be brutally honest with yourself if you hope to get anything out of this book. You also need to allow yourself to stop, look, and wake up, which I desperately needed to do at the time I discovered this book. Thanks Iyanla...
  • Further Along the Road Less Traveled: The Unending Journey Towards Spiritual Growth
  • A Woman's Worth
  • Soul Stories
  • Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self
  • Soul Mates: Honouring the Mysteries of Love and Relationship
  • The Dark Side of the Light Chasers: Reclaiming Your Power, Creativity, Brilliance and Dreams
  • Why People Don't Heal and How They Can: A Practical Programme for Healing Body, Mind and Spirit
  • There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem
  • Imagine a Woman in Love with Herself: Embracing Your Wisdom and Wholeness
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • The Complete Artist's Way : Creativity as a Spiritual Practice
  • The Woman's Comfort Book
  • Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old
  • Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing
  • Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals
  • Sacred Woman: A Guide to Healing the Feminine Body, Mind, and Spirit
  • Black Pain: It Just Looks Like We're Not Hurting: Real Talk for When There's Nowhere to Go But Up
  • Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Vol. 2
In Peace From Broken Pieces New York Times best-selling author Iyanla Vanzant she recounts the last decade of her life and the spiritual lessons learnedfrom the price of success during her meteoric rise as a TV celebrity on Oprah, the Iyanla TV show (produced by Barbara Walters), to the dissolution of her marriage and her daughters 15 months of illness and death on Christmas day. Like a phoenix ri ...more
More about Iyanla Vanzant...

“Remain open. There is something bigger than you know going on here.” 188 likes
“Honor your own Self. Meditate on your own Self. Worship your own Self. Kneel to your own Self. Understand your own Self. Your God dwells within you as you.” 0 likes