Start by marking “As You Do: Adventures With Evel, Oliver, and The Vice-President Of Botswana” as Want to Read:
As You Do: Adventures With Evel, Oliver, and The Vice-President Of Botswana

As You Do: Adventures With Evel, Oliver, and The Vice-President Of Botswana

The wry, honest and often hilarious chronicles of a very brave and clever TV presenter, Arctic Explorer and general drawer of the Short Straw. As one third of the BBC's Top Gear team, Richard Hammond's year since his near-fatal accident has been full of stunts and drama. From a race to the North Pole (with skis and dog-sled) to a journey through Botswana in a car named Oli ...more
Published (first published September 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about As You Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As You Do

Kimberley
Feb 24, 2010 Kimberley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Interesting to read how Richard felt during the many escapades in this, how he felt awed meeting his childhood hero and his thoughts on Clarkson and May in the challenges, how he misses his family and his devotion to them even when he is on the other side of the world. I laughed and cryed and loved every word of it.
Mark Wilson
Aug 05, 2011 Mark Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice easy and enjoyable read with some great moments that made me laugh out loud to myself as I was reading. Perhaps not quite as good as "On The Edge", but then again, it is a different style of book. Mandatory reading for fans of Top Gear.
Jenn
Mar 03, 2009 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2009
Hahaha, oh my god, I really, truly, unabashedly loved this. Wee Richard's a great storyteller, and he can turn a surprisingly lovely phrase, and I think this might turn into one of my go-to comfort listens.
Kim
Aug 01, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoirs
Behind the scenes of "Top Gear" with my favorite presenter. Definitely fun reading if you're a fan of the show (and it's probably best if you've already seen the two specials - North Pole and Botswana - that he discusses), otherwise you probably won't care.
Andrew Watson
An interesting look at behind the scenes of a couple of classic Top Gear episodes, and a few other events.
Being Richard Hammond, and being written pretty much in the same way he speaks, it was a bit long-winded and all over the place at times, but it was enjoyable enough.
Soho_Black
Dec 17, 2014 Soho_Black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, used-to-own
Whilst he had already gained some attention by hosting Sky One's "Brainiac: Science Abuse" and BBC 2's "Top Gear", what really brought Richard Hammond to the public's attention was a serious crash whilst driving a jet propelled car whilst filming the latter back in 2006. The outpouring of public support, both emotional and financial surprised even him and the book he and his wife Mindy wrote about the accident and his recovery was the best selling non-fiction book of 2007.

Since then, millions ha
Brian DiMattia
I wouldn't mind if there were more books like this! It's a quick little look behind the scenes of the life of a well beloved Television presenter. It's not the usual dull blabbering about "So I got to work with so-and-so and they were so nice in person!" And it's not a tabloid-sleazy-tell-all sort of book. Instead it's "I went and did a few things, some of which people enjoyed watching. Here's more information about what happened, how we did what we did, and what I learned from it."

I picked the
Neil Frankland
Jul 05, 2009 Neil Frankland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Top gear and I like Richard. He is the glue between Jeremy and James. He provides a sane and down to earth voice compared with Jeremy shouting power! and taking a hammer to everything or James constantly looking into hidden meanings and reasons. Richard even does something I would have done and ran home for his kid when faced with floods. He even comments that have we become so dependent on the things around us that we can't think for ourselves because of the floods. A guy is only 8 miles ...more
Sam Still Reading
Nov 22, 2008 Sam Still Reading rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Top Gear fans
When I first started to read this I thought, oh no. Richard Hammond writes like he talks, non stop and with thirteen thousand commas in each sentence. He either improved or I stopped noticing it when I had read 30 or so pages.
This book covers some of the situations, stunts and adventures during a year- going to the North Pole, driving a Hilux across the English Channel, coping with the English floods of 2007, driving across Africa in Oliver and meeting his boyhood hero.
I don't think the North
Angela Hills
Feb 14, 2009 Angela Hills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Top Gear, and anyone who likes a funny travel story.
Now, I love Top Gear, so I guess I was destined to enjoy this. I've never had so many laugh out loud moments from a book. Every page had me twittering, then every three or four pages I would embarrass myself with a loud guffaw brought on by Hammond's sarcastic, dry British humor, and the absurd situations he finds himself in: stranded in the middle of an African river standing next to his faithful "Oliver", having polar bear dung flung at him while trying to relieve himself in the Arctic wildern ...more
Helene Harrison
ISBN? - 9780297855200

General Subject/s? - Biography / Top Gear / Cars

Title? - Things that happen in the life of Richard Hammond, that he gets used to.

General Analysis? - This one wasn't as good as On the Edge. It was funnier, but I preferred On the Edge because it had such a different tone to what we're used to hearing from Hamster. Some of the incidents described in As You Do however were some of my favourite Top Gear episodes ever, so it was interesting to read about them after the fact. Hammo
Jan 11, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-story, top-gear
To try and compare this book to his first isn't right..Both books are completely different.

I think fans of Rhichard Hammond and Top Gear will get a kick out of reading this book. There are also some photographs through the book for you to check out.

I found this book a little slow going but again I'd just finished reading his first book so I was trying to adjust. This is more about his life as a TV presenter on TopGear and so. Worth a read if you're a fan..If you don't know who he is then you mi
Iamshadow
While not as polished and cohesive as his previous book, On The Edge, Richard Hammond has nonetheless written a pleasant and enjoyable account of some of his adventures over the last year. I was a little disappointed that despite the subtitle, the section on Botswana is only nineteen pages long, whereas the Polar Challenge section (which isn't mentioned in the title) is significantly larger. I know that this is likely the result of marketing spin, as subheadings are often decided on by the pub ...more
Georgie
Feb 23, 2014 Georgie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographical
Here's another fascinating book from my favourite, Richard Hammond.

Hammond writes with a lot of passion and a lot of dedication; by the end of the book, you feel like you are a close friend and that you were with him on all of his adventures.

Granted, this is not prize winning literature or anything massively profound, but it is a lot of fun.

As You Do includes stories about the 2007 floods, meeting Evel Knievel, meeting and keeping Oscar (the car), and dog-sledding in the Arctic.

Definitely an
Alexandra
Oct 15, 2012 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well after managing to acquire the last section of the book that the audio version leaves out, I can say I enjoyed this immensely.

I know Hammond gets stick for his "stop start narrating style" but he just writes the way he speaks. I don't just find it endearing, I find it makes sense. This man is a television presenter, he is his delivery style. He's not an academic, and he's not even James May.

This book, in it's entirety, is a good enjoyable read. It's a shame he's stayed with team Clarkson, b
Margaret
Whilst not a fan of "Top Gear" I do admire Richard Hammond immensely. His fight back to life after his horrific accident is inspirational. This, however, is not that story.

This is the story of a number of crazy things he has done for "Top Gear" and other shows.

Richard's sense of humour is self deprecating and delicious. I literally cried with laughter at some points.

It's the sort of book you read simply for the joy of doing so.
Mathew Bridle
Apr 01, 2011 Mathew Bridle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of the Top Gear related books that I have read this is one of the best. Hammond actuall has something worth writing about. The training for the sledge race to the North pole, meeting Evel Knieval, the love affair with Oliver and other tales all make for excellent reading. If you are not a fan of the man or the show I'd recommend borrowing a copy as it is an excellent biography of a very eventful year.
May 23, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly disappointing. Funny, as Richard Hammond always is, yet disjointed. He made no effort to connect one chapter to the next; he just quit writing about one thing and jumped straight into the next. Also, not as introspective as I'd hoped. It read like one of my sixth-grader's papers: "First we did this, then this happened, and then we did this." There was no conclusion. He just stopped writing and leaped into the acknowledgments.
Wattle
I read this right after reading a Jeremy Clarkson book, and it felt a little odd at first as their styles of writing are different. But once I got into it after ten pages or so, it was so much fun!

You learn little things about how they film Top Gear (specifically the Polar special and the amphibious cars) as well as insight into how frustrating and boring it can all be.

A very interesting book, and I definitely recommend it if you're a fan of Mr Hammond :)
Timo
Jun 09, 2010 Timo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: äänikirjat
I'm not a motor enthusiastic, but Top Gear is about the best tv show, like, ever.
So to that background, I was a wee bit sceptic to grab this audio book. Would this ruin everything by being boring.
It did not. Great back ground stuff about some of the challenges in Top Gear (like the North Pole race) + Hammond's thoughts about the challenges. Written in very witty and funny way, read with passion. Good entertainment!
Kristin
This book was entertaining, but took quite some time to get into. I didn't enjoy the Arctic section nearly as much as I thought I would, having just gone on an Arctic adventure myself, but I found the rest of the book to be pretty interesting, and sometimes entertaining. It wasn't nearly as gripping as his previous book (his memoirs about his crash and subsequent brain injury), and it probably wouldn't be interesting to people that aren't fans of Top Gear, but it was a decent read.
Dolly
Jul 17, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: BBC Top Gear fans. Fiona.
Shelves: 2011
This book by Richard Hammond, "The Hamster", of the BBC program Top Gear was as entertaining as the show. His humor and wit come through in this book of his. If you like the show and Hammond, you should enjoy his book.
SharlzG
Jun 18, 2011 SharlzG rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Top Gear and love Richard Hammond. Knowing this a friends gave me this Christmas and I wasn't really sure I'd like it but it turned out to be quite an interesting read. He does prattle on a bit a some time, but he writes it like he's narrating the events as they occur which actually made it easier to visualise the events. Easy and enjoyable read.
Mark Farley
Mar 06, 2015 Mark Farley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with Richard's autobiography (released not long before this book), his writing has a grace and warmth to it, the same happy feelings that warms you to him on Top Gear, as the hapless fool who crashes cars, lives in the country and loves his beautiful family. The stories and anecdotes are some of the most infamous things he has been involved in with Top Gear and also personal stories.
Julie Martinez
Aug 06, 2012 Julie Martinez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
This is not nearly as emotional as "On the Edge". "As You Do" documents Richard's adventures after his accident. It is interesting to get his perspective on many of the Top Gear adventures, especially the North Pole episode. I had no idea when I watched that episode just how difficult it was for Richard to handle.
Karen Anne
Jan 14, 2011 Karen Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I love Hammond and i love reading about Oliver! I think Hammonds incredibly funny and i love that when i read his books i can picture him just like he is on Top Gear and can hear him speaking the words in my head as he writes just like he talks. Fantastic book im going to read of his books now, im hooked!
Nando
Aug 08, 2009 Nando rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sure, the cover makes it look like the travel log of a gay hairdresser, but it's a decent read for anyone who is a fan of Top Gear. Hammond shares a few funny anecdotes about the filming of two epic Top Gear challenges and making a documentary about a childhood hero.
Liz
Jun 18, 2012 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed this book. Hammond has a really great way of writing and it was an enjoyable, witty and intriguing read.
Reading this makes me Want to find his previous book 'On the Edge' and all his others :)
Lisa Swanepoel
Nov 06, 2012 Lisa Swanepoel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to book as read by Richard Hammond and found myself very amused by his antics. I appreciated that he did not rehash the episodes as shown on Top Gear but rather gave his experiences of the events. He is a great story teller and a very funny man. Enjoyable!
Gini
Sep 19, 2010 Gini rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite of Richard Hammond's books - though I still really liked it. It was nice to get the behind the scenes look at some of the show's most famous episodes, but some of it got a bit long-winded.
  • Notes from the Hard Shoulder
  • The Big Book of Top Gear 2011
  • The Man in the White Suit: The Stig, Le Mans, the Fast Lane and Me
  • Billy Connolly's Route 66
  • Don't You Know Who I Am?
  • Halfway To Hollywood: Diaries 1980 to 1988 (Palin Diaries, #2)
  • Life is Just What You Make It: My Story So Far
  • Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story
Richard Hammond is a British TV presenter, most noted for co-hosting car programme Top Gear alongside Jeremy Clarkson and James May, as well as presenting Brainiac: Science Abuse on Sky1, Should I Worry About...? on BBC One and Total Wipeout, also on BBC One and Richard Hammonds Blast Lab on CBBC. He has also presented several one-off specials such as ITV's The Gunpowder Plot: Exploding The Legend ...more
More about Richard Hammond...

“As it turns out, skiing trips are pretty bloody annoying anyway. It’s mostly about queuing, skiing. You queue to get your breakfast in the stupid wooden hotel, you queue to get on the minibus or find a taxi to take you to the stupid skiing place at the bottom of the stupid hill. You queue to buy a pass, which you lose later in the day and then you get down to the serious queuing, at the point where you get on the lift at the bottom of the mountain to take you to the top. This, technically, isn’t queuing, it’s something more akin to fighting, so I preferred this bit. You hang around in a big crowd on a sort of train platform. Except there are no tracks, just a big wire overhead. Eventually, the cable car device lumbers into view and disgorges a load of really annoying people with stupid smiles under their stupid hats on to the other side of the platform. The car never stops; it just swings around the bottom of the platform on a huge, horizontal wheel until it comes up the side on which you and several million Germans are loitering, ready to get on board. Then there is a really massive fight, lots of shouting, some vicious pushing and, the next thing you know, you’re on the cable car, face pressed to the frosted glass, staring through it at crying kids back on the platform, disappointed mothers and bereft lovers waving mournfully as the other half of their life is transported away on the carriage that someone, usually you, prevented them from getting on by elbowing them in the face and jabbing a ski pole into their groin. It’s really rather good fun. But only that part is fun; the rest of it is terrible.” 0 likes