Start by marking “Dialogue (Elements of Fiction Writing)” as Want to Read:
Dialogue (Elements of Fiction Writing)

Dialogue (Elements of Fiction Writing)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This book discusses and demonstrates the power of dialogue in fiction. So whether you write novels, short stories, or scripts, you'll benefit from all the different purposes and techniques of dialogue writing the author illustrates in these very pages.
Published May 15th 1989 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about Dialogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dialogue

Justin
Dialogue reads fast and so does this book. Written in Socratic dialogue, Turco and his fictional buddy Fred Foyle discuss dialogue. The book's five chapters cover: Definitions, speech in narration, diction, types of speech, and genre dialogue. The book didn't offer much than I already know aside from the occasional tidbit like British formatting using single quotes. I've learned more about dialogue from other writing books dealing with other elements of fiction, and online resources. I wouldn't ...more
Susinok
The book is written in dialogue, and bad dialogue at that. Not very helpful.
Nannah
This was pretty decent.

I thought the book didn't really deliver what it promised on the cover (i.e. "How to get your characters talking to each other in a way that vividly reveals who they are, what they're doing, and what's coming next in your story"), even if it did have some useful information. Most of the formatting/grammatical issues that it covered I already knew about, which is why I didn't pick out a book on dialogue's structure and where to put quotation marks, etc.

I was very glad tha
Devon
Turco has plenty of solid advice on dialogue here, more than you can pick up from a generalized "how to write fiction" book. The written format is entirely in Socratic dialogue, which is a bit unusual...some thoughts on that:

PROS: The format makes it more entertaining and faster reading. There are plenty of examples of applying his lessons to dialogue, since the book is literally 100% dialogue.

CONS: About half the book is conversational filler, so in that sense it's not faster reading at all. Th
Mark Adam Thomas
A book on how to write dialogue, written in dialogue format. It was a novel idea that worked fairly well. My only reservation is that many of the examples were not clearly defined for me, and I found myself not quite getting the author's point. It is a very short book, and perhaps not the best book on dialogue out there.
Ron
An older but very engaging guide to the basics of dialogue for beginning writers. Covers all the basics and for most that's enough. I enjoyed the Socratic dialogue approach to the text.
Hilary
Terrible! The author attempts to explain how dialogue works... in the form od a book-length dialogue. Barf. Do not read this book. If I could give this book negative stars I would.
Sariah
Not a fan of two characters talking about dialogue for the whole book. Also, just skip the first chapter or two. It's mostly uncessary definitions.
Rebekah
A bit dated and not a lot of information. There are better books and workshops out there. Find them.
David Fortier
A decent book on writing fiction. Apparently there are better ones out there. Still, helpful to a beginner.
Melissa
Loved that the entire book teaches how write dialogue by dialogue. Very entertaining and clear.
Joel Gomes
A very short book, perfect to learn the basics of writing good fiction dialogue.
Winston Brown
Great informative book.
Robert
Good reference
Cate
Cate added it
Nov 23, 2014
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Gloriavirtutisumbra is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2014
Trinae
Trinae marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Shon
Shon marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Taz -
Taz - marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
J Demedeiros
J Demedeiros marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The New Book of Forms: A Handbook of Poetics The Book of Literary Terms: The Genres of Fiction, Drama, Nonfiction, Literary Criticism, and Scholarship The Book of Forms: A Handbook of Poetics The Museum of Ordinary People and Other Stories The Book of Dialogue: How to Write Effective Conversation in Fiction, Screenplays, Drama, and Poetry