Start by marking “Enriching the Brain: How to Maximize Every Learner's Potential” as Want to Read:
Enriching the Brain: How to Maximize Every Learner's Potential

Enriching the Brain: How to Maximize Every Learner's Potential

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Eric Jensen- a leading expert in the translation of brain research into education, argues in Enriching the Brain that we greatly underestimate students' achievement capacity. Drawing from a wide range of neuroscience research as well as related studies, Jensen reveals that the human brain is far more dynamic and malleable than we earlier believed. He offers us a powerful n ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Enriching the Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enriching the Brain

Louise
Oct 16, 2013 Louise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, education
Jensen's theories of enrichment are based on research which he explains in jargon-free everyday language. The research confirms that the brain changes throughout the lifespan. The brain grows with positive experiences. Negative experiences, if they are not managed properly, stunt the brain's ability to grow.

Jensen's definition of enrichment is that of a result: "a positive biological response to a contrasting environment, in which measurable synergistic, and global changes have occurred."

He cite
Patrick
Jan 05, 2009 Patrick rated it really liked it
Enriching the brain is a great introduction to the field of Neuroscience and the principles involved with understanding how our brains work in the hyper sensitive world around us. From the physical makeup of the brain to exterior stimulation and neurogenesis, Enriching the brain makes the case for how to make classrooms a better environment to learn, grow, and develop. Memory is the name of the game and it needs to be created, used, and applied to real life situations to remain a lasting, inform ...more
Zane
Oct 22, 2007 Zane rated it really liked it
A book that combines nueroscience with education and discusses DNA is both influenced by both nature as well as nurture. In the past science thought that DNA and genes are fixed but new science using twins as the baseline are discovering that this is not the case. A very good read as it relates to parenting, education, and children.
mm
Jul 17, 2015 mm rated it liked it
This book is aimed at educators more than autodidacts, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have well researched information. The biggest take away is exercise. It doesn't even have to be real exercise, you can just mentally picture going through the motions, making sure to increase the weight, and you will increase muscle mass. The paper of the research can be found here.

Other things covered seemed very self evident. Eat right, avoid excessive stress, form social ties, etc.
Makayla
Oct 03, 2015 Makayla marked it as didnt-finish
This book was, and could have been, fascinating, but I just couldn't get into it. Also, it doesn't help that I felt pressured with having to return it to the library soon so I was trying to hurry more than I was reading it. I'll probably pick it back up later...when i don't have so much to do.
Bethany
May 12, 2014 Bethany rated it liked it
Good information, but unoriginal.
Sonyajohnston
Jan 07, 2011 Sonyajohnston rated it really liked it
This book gave me insight about how to use the brain not only to enrich my students that I teach but also how to enrich my own life. He gives a lot of practical suggestions that can be done without too much effort. This book gives me hope that things can change.
Heidi
Feb 19, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers and parents
I wrote down a bunch of notes about this book because I really got into it. But I don't have them with me at the moment. A good book for teachers or parents who want to enrich their children's brains.
Gordon Nicol
Apr 08, 2009 Gordon Nicol rated it it was amazing
great stuff and I want to read more on this subject matter, and by this author
Sign2me
Feb 12, 2010 Sign2me rated it it was amazing
Fascinating stuff!
Melanie Stephens
Melanie Stephens marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Annie Pickering
Annie Pickering is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Hillary Marek
Hillary Marek rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Anca
Anca marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Karina
Karina is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2016
Matt Hooks
Matt Hooks rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Chesarae
Chesarae marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Susanne Ortiz
Susanne Ortiz marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Kit
Kit rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Ingrid added it
Mar 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • What Works in Schools: Translating Research Into Action
  • Research-Based Strategies to Ignite Student Learning: Insights from a Neurologist and Classroom Teacher
  • How the Brain Learns
  • What's Math Got to Do with It?: Helping Children Learn to Love Their Least Favorite Subject--and Why It's Important for America
  • The Systematic Design of Instruction
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Smart Moves: Why Learning Is Not All in Your Head
  • Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility
  • Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All
  • Beyond Boredom and Anxiety: Experiencing Flow in Work and Play
  • Active Learning: 101 Strategies to Teach Any Subject
  • Historical Thinking and Other Unnatural Acts: Charting the Future of Teaching the Past (Critical Perspectives on the Past)
  • 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times
  • Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction
  • The Power of Reading: Insights from the Research
  • Multimedia Learning
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Quality Software Management: Systems Thinking