Start by marking “Imponderables: The Solution to the Mysteries of Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Imponderables: The Solution to the Mysteries of Everyday Life

Imponderables: The Solution to the Mysteries of Everyday Life

Imponderables
The Solution to the Mysteries
of Everyday LifeDid you ever wonder why you never see baby pigeons? Or why a thumbs-up gesture means "OK"? At last the solutions to some of life's most baffling questions are gathered here in one volume. Written in an informative and entertaining style and illustrated with drawings that are clearly to the point, "Imponderables" get
Published September 24th 1987 by Harper Perennial (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Imponderables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imponderables

Pamela(AllHoney)
It doesn't answer all of life's imponderables but it entertains when you have nothing better to do. Great for those people who like useless trivia/information like me.
Ron
Jul 19, 2012 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, science
An enjoyable, if lightweight book.

I only note one thing about a book before I start reading it: it publishing date. That's often critical to separating poorly written from merely dated science fiction for example. This poor demonstrates how even well researched and written material becomes out of date so quickly. (Though the compilation was published in 2006, some components date as early as 1984, and it shows. Some of the pop culture and science references are so dated as to perplex young reade
Cheryl
Aug 11, 2015 Cheryl rated it liked it
This is the first in the series of questions to life's little mysteries and it was interesting, but not as much as the later ones. It did show its age somewhat, since the questions regarding technology are almost all about objects that are now obsolete. Still, it would be one way to explain some of it to the younger generation.
Kerry
Nov 08, 2009 Kerry rated it liked it
Shelves: kerry-s-books, 07-08
This is an entertaining piece that explores the answers to questions that many of us give no real thought to! Once the author raises the question, it is pretty fascinating to discover the answers to these amusting topics. Some questions that are raised are "Why is a mile,5,280 feet"?, or "Why does any x stand for a kiss"? I found this book a lot of fun to read, and it really satisfied my curiousity about these issues. I would recommend this to anyone who has a sense of curiousity about the world ...more
Camille
Jun 08, 2011 Camille rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially teens
This is the kind of book that obnoxious people (like me) read just so they can blurt a fun fact in the middle of a conversation that is vaguely related to the fact. Filled with fun little things that most people wouldn't even think about, it makes a great read! It's good to keep handy just in case one of those questions arise, such as why is the middle of the ice cube cloudy? What does the "Q" in Q-tip stand for? and various others. I enjoyed this book and I liked how it was organized to make it ...more
Amy
Jul 10, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Now I know all of the answers to all of those burning questions... like "Where do they get that awful music for ice skating?" and "Why do women wear uncomfortable shoes?" Yay, 1986!

This is why we weed our collection. 5 stars for being ridiculous!
Alex Seals
Jun 09, 2010 Alex Seals rated it it was amazing
This is a great series, explaining the most ridiculous things of life. If you want to know the answer to a random question, you can try perusing this series.
Beth Gordon
Feb 29, 2012 Beth Gordon rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book that answered questions that you sometimes think to yourself but aren't very Google-able.
Kaethe
Jul 17, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
Back before the internet could answer all my questions quickly, I loved books like this.
Aaron Deel
Apr 27, 2012 Aaron Deel rated it it was ok
I'm all for cramming my brain with useless facts, but an entire book of the stuff put me to sleep. I would recommend this book as something to just look at the table of contents, find something you would like to find out about and read it. Unless you are just into reading different facts I wouldn't try to read this book the whole way through. If nothing else it taught me that I need an actual story with a plot and characters. :)
Chana
Feb 05, 2009 Chana rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-trivia
There was some interesting information here, but overall it was outdated and boring. It did settle a long-standing disagreement between my husband and I over the percentage of humidity when it is raining. We both now agree that I was right! That was worth reading the book for! I also amused to see and remember that in the 1980's we were worried about pollution bringing on the next ice age (as opposed to global warming).
Maura
Aug 25, 2013 Maura rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction
Yes, some of the information was a little too in-depth, and a few of the questions were outdated, but this was still an enjoyable read. If you're interested in fun facts or "solutions to the mysteries of everyday life" appeal to you, I would recommend this author, but perhaps one of his more recent editions of Imponderables would be a better choice. From my experience, however, this book is definitely a conversation starter!
Andd Becker
Oct 06, 2012 Andd Becker rated it really liked it
Wonderful! Find answers to questions. Do you know why Swiss cheese has holes? Do you know why wintergreen Life Savers sparkle in the dark? Do you know which fruits flavor Juicy Fruit chewing gum?
Many fascinating questions and answers inhabit the pages of this book.
Amy Arsenault
Sep 26, 2012 Amy Arsenault rated it really liked it
Great sense of humor, good questions, good answers. Worth reading, or at least skimming through to the questions that you're most interested in. It's not a boring book (except maybe the 3 pages about washers and a couple others that may have felt too long).
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
This series has answered many questions for me and prompted many more. It's truly fascinating and well written.
Megan Anderson
Aug 30, 2015 Megan Anderson rated it really liked it
Some of it is out of date, but it's pretty interesting bathroom reading regardless.
Don Gubler
Nov 14, 2012 Don Gubler rated it liked it
Semi-interesting trivia.
Matthew Dambro
Matthew Dambro marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Jasmine Wang
Jasmine Wang rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Aaron Parrish
Aaron Parrish rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Matthew Smith
Matthew Smith rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Charles Wade
Charles Wade marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Alain
Alain added it
Jul 30, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Mackenzie
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Jeremy Maddux
Jeremy Maddux marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
  • Duh!: The Stupid History of the Human Race
  • Contrary to Popular Belief: More than 250 False Facts Revealed
  • Uncle John's Fast-Acting Long-Lasting Bathroom Reader
  • The Ultimate Book of Useless Information: A Few Thousand More Things You Might Need to Know (But Probably Don't)
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • The Intellectual Devotional Modern Culture: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Converse Confidently with the Culturati
  • Entertaining Mathematical Puzzles
  • Big Secrets
  • How Do They Do That?
  • What are the Seven Wonders of the World?: And 100 Other Great Cultural Lists--Fully Explicated
  • Hoyle's Rules of Games
  • Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things
  • Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity (with General ChemistryNOW CD-ROM)
  • The Straight Dope Tells All
  • Cassell's Concise Latin-English, English-Latin Dictionary
  • Math Hysteria: Fun and Games with Mathematics
  • The Play of Words

He holds a bachelor's degree in literature from Grinnell College, and a master's degree in popular culture from Bowling Green State University in Ohio. He consults and lectures on the media. He lives in New York City.
More about David Feldman...