Start by marking “The Wrecking Yard and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Wrecking Yard and Other Stories

The Wrecking Yard and Other Stories

A collection of short stories which illuminate, with imagery and humour, the darkest corners of the American soul. The author attempts to capture the personalities of rural America, shaped by poverty, cruelty and an odd compassion.
Published June 13th 1994 by Minerva (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Wrecking Yard and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrecking Yard and Other Stories

Melki
Apr 06, 2014 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been striking gold in my choices of short story collections this year, and this one is no exception.

Benedict's tales of guys gone wild are well written morsels that shock and entertain.

One fellow rescues an elderly man from an old folk's home, another man's obsession with a caged baboon leads to trouble, some carny folk help deliver a ne'er-do-well's just deserts and two good ole boys find themselves ejected from a bowling alley by a league of female bowlers:

"It'll teach them to strip us
Jillian
Years and years ago, a writing instructor at my university recommended three authors to me: Arundhati Roy, Per Petterson, and Pinckney Benedict. Roy’s novel The God of Small Things turned out to be one of my favorite books I have ever read. And Pinckney Benedict’s collection of shorts The Wrecking Yard has been sitting on my shelf for years now, based on this instructor’s recommendation, but never seemed to feel the pull to read it. I just finished it this morning and was fairly disappointed. Be ...more
Paul Luikart
May 12, 2014 Paul Luikart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure, Pinckney Benedict was a visiting lecturer in my final grad school residency and I loved him. Interestingly, and not so much relevant...the guy loves guns. Atypical of an artist. Huh. But, he gave me some great pointers on how to write the realistic use of guns in fiction. Quite helpful, because a lot of my characters are pretty violent folks. I digress.

Wrecking Yard, at this point, is way back in Benedict's career. He's a pretty prolific guy. This short story collection came ou
billy
billy rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2008
Keith
Keith rated it really liked it
May 26, 2013
Cary Jones
Cary Jones rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Ryan Cassidy
Ryan Cassidy rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Jojo
Jojo rated it liked it
May 29, 2014
Christine Roddy
Christine Roddy rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2012
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2011
Taylor Brown
Taylor Brown rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Kathrin Passig
Kathrin Passig rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Ian
Ian rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2013
Rusty
Rusty rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2007
Guinotte Wise
Guinotte Wise rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Sheryl Monks
Sheryl Monks rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Michael Fischer
Michael Fischer rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Ron Yates
Ron Yates rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2011
Kirsa
Kirsa rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2012
tartaruga fechada
tartaruga fechada rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2010
Goat
Goat rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2008
Marvin
Marvin rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2013
Mary Klinghammer
Mary Klinghammer rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Robert Beveridge
Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2008
Ross McMeekin
Ross McMeekin rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
yasekabood
yasekabood rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2007
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
209481
Pinckney Benedict (b. 1964) is an American short-story writer and novelist whose work often reflects his Appalachian background.

Benedict grew up on his family’s dairy farm in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. He graduated from Princeton University, where he studied primarily with Joyce Carol Oates, in 1986, and from the Writers’ Workshop at the University of Iowa in 1988.

He has published three col
More about Pinckney Benedict...