The Little Little Girl with the Big Big Voice

The Little Little Girl with the Big Big Voice

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  34 reviews
There once was a little, little girl... with a BIG, BIG voice.
One day she went to find someone to play with.

In this vibrantly illustrated picture book, one loud little girl looks for a friend to play with. She searches the jungle high and low for a pal but her BIG voice scares all the animals away! One by one, an elephant, a snake and a croc quickly retreat away from her...more
Published June 14th 2011 by Little Simon

Shazzer
As posted on Outside of a Dog:

Little children like it when I'm loud. They find it particularly funny for some reason. I consider myself to be a relatively quiet person by nature, reserved (except where kids are concerned), so there must be something funny about me stepping out and letting my voice be heard. Now I'm not talking about my normal, voice-carries-through-a-crowd voice for storytimes, but extra special, super loud explosions. I tend to gravitate towards books that allow me to stretch m...more
Tasha
A little, little girl has a very loud voice. She heads out looking for a friend to play with. She searches the jungle, but her big voice scares the animals away. First, an elephant run, then a snake, then a crocodile! It’s not until she meets a very loud and very large lion and isn’t scared by his roar, that she makes a friend.

Balouch has created a book that is bright, funny and loud. Her text is simple and easily read aloud, loudly. It has a rhythm that is natural and easy as well as a strong...more
Zoe Hiilani
It was amazing!

I like the page where she moves and I like her pink bow and I like her green bow too.

(She means the page where the lion is looking at her and the girl's mouth is a round pink circle.)
Meghan Hunt
I love the loud color scheme of the illustrations. I think that it helps depict the loud nature of the little girl.
Joy
First, I must admit that I checked this out to read with my two-year-old daughter because she is a little, little girl with a BIG, BIG voice. I couldn't resist the title! This book is funny, bright, loud, and delightful to read aloud. The illustrations are bold with colors of citrus, lime, and hot pink, and bold with a graphic, swirling, joyful style. I loved how the animals and the little girl were happy playing until she frightened them with her big voice and enthusiastic personality. Happily,...more
Amy Musser
The bright, bold colors are just irresistible. This tiny girl has a big voice, so big that she scares away all the animals she tries to befriend. That is until she meets a lion with a roar as big as her voice. I like that the story is about a child who finds happiness by being her unique self. She doesn’t, not even for a second, think about changing to get others to like her.

Full Review at Picture-Book-a-Day: http://picturebookaday.blogspot.com/2...
Bridget R. Wilson
A small girl with a humongous voice scares away all the animals she meets until she meets lion. He is as loud as she is. Together they enjoy the day.

What I thought: A lovely story with simple text. Children will enjoy guessing what animal comes next. I like the illustrations--so colorful and no lines. My favorite illustrations are the elephant, blowing bubbles, and the girl and lion laughing together.

Story Time Themes: Animals, Loud Noises (pair with The Loud Book)

Mary
A good book for preschool storytime. A little girl with a big big voice is looking for a friend, but something keeps scaring potential friends away. Finally she meets an animal that can rival her voice and they become friends. Kids will enjoy telling you what is frightening the animals even though it does not say it in the book. The pictures are very bright and somewhat unusual, using mostly pinks, greens, and oranges.
Lauren
The story here is not especially riveting as the little girl scares each animal away until the lion roars back. Then she and the lion play. There isn't much to be taken from that. However, the illustrations are colorful and dynamic and would appeal to preschoolers. Her voice is visually represented in bright concentric circles and the animals are exciting to look at.
Molly
I wish the words she says loudly were words besides "something." The kids don't understand when I read it out loud- why am I saying the word "something" loudly? They just don't make the connection that it's her voice. Even when prompted. I don't know. The idea is good and the colors are nice. Just didn't work at story time.
Jane G Meyer
A silly, bright and easy-to-read book about a loud little girl who scares everyone away because of her boisterous nature. Finally, she finds a lion, who can match her zeal for noise and they become friends. Since I have a very loud and boisterous daughter, I found this book fitting.

She would have LOVED this when she was a munchkin.
Tricia
What joy this title brought to my audience while reading...a little girl's voice is much bigger than she--and each animal she encounters is frightened away. Until...she finds the perfect animal friend who enjoys her big voice. This is a potentially fun readaloud with audience participation during the big voice pages.
Swannanoa Library
Am I becoming a curmudgeon? This book to me should have been about the dangers of an extremely loud and obnoxious child who gets a comeuppance when the crocodile/lion/snake eat her to quiet her down. I bought it for Swannanoa based on the reviews. Sad to say, I wish I hadn't.
Megan
Apr 12, 2012 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddler-preschool
A little girl's voice frightens away some of the scariest animals--an elephant, a snake, and a crocodile. Yet when the lion hears her voice, he roars back. Luckily the little girl is not afraid; in fact, she realizes she has a new friend!
Brianna
Very charming. I love it when a little girl doesn't have to be told to be quiet!

Full review forthcoming at: http://slatebreakers.com/2011/09/29/r...
Mary
The little girl with the big voice manages to scare away all the animals - including an elephant, snake and crocodile - until she finds an animal who can be just as loud. Vibrant illustrations filled with movement.
Amanda
We really enjoyed this short and sweet story. The only reason for not rating it higher was because I hoped there would be a moral about trying to be quiet- instead of just making a friend to be louder with. :)
Jen
psychedelic bold clean pictures. might challenge a kid to try to do some new art work. my favorite illustration is of the lion or the snake. could be a great book for participation.
Kelly
A funny, short story that encourages lots of sounds from the kids at storytime. A nice message about finding just the right friend, too. A tried-and-true storytime book.
Hope
We enjoyed this book. The illustrations were quite good. Vibrant, bold colors to match the personality of the little girl in the story. A fun read.
Justin Guardiani
Cute book with simple, fun and colorful imagery. You felt yourself kinda of sway with the book as you read it to your child.
Naomi
Love it! The little girl in the story was like me when I was a little girl! She talks with the animals and roars with a lion!
I enjoyed this book, though our copy was damaged from the publisher--looked like it was dropped in the tub!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Fun story about a little girl who goes out to play and who she finds as the perfect playmate.
Kim
Girl wants to play but scares all the animals away with her loud voice . . . until the lion
Christine Ridout
A little girl with a very loud voice finds her match in a lion. Loads of fun. Lots of laughter.
Melissa
Storytime idea: Have kids yell "HI (insert animal)!" as she greets each animal.
Tracie
A loud little girl befriends a lion with an equally loud ROAR.
Molly
Very sparse text. The illustrations are expansive and really cool.
Liz
Aug 03, 2011 Liz rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mitten
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Dot
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Tony Baloney
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • Cat Secrets
  • Are You A Horse?
  • Mostly Monsterly
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • I'm Not.
Mystery Bottle Feelings Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat Baby Polar The Ghost Catcher: A Bengali Folktale