Start by marking “Battlestar Galactica” as Want to Read:
Battlestar Galactica

Battlestar Galactica (Battlestar Galactica Miniseries #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  415 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
For forty years, the Twelve Colonies of Man experienced peace, united since the war against the man-made Cylons. The Cylons, mechanical beings created to perform the manual labor civilization required, were gone forever…or so humanity thought.

But in those years, the Cylons developed new Cylons that looked and acted like humans--with one goal in mind: to destroy all humani
Published December 27th 2005 by Tor Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Battlestar Galactica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battlestar Galactica

Lindley Walter-smith
The two stars are for the plot and characters, which are amazing and stunning - but the writing really lets it down.

There are far too many cases of showing not telling here, and not just that, telling over and over. The prose is extremely flat. What happens as a result is that scenes that were thrilling, or charming, or heartwrenching, just go over with no impact at all. One example - a CAG, watching his shipmates die around him as their ships go dead, waiting for his own death seconds away? "Hi
Liz BooksandStuff
Jun 13, 2016 Liz BooksandStuff rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Review for the series, which I adore: https://booksandstuff1357.wordpress.c...
Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan)
I just want to start off saying that I will not compare this to the original novels or original TV series because for me they are very different, too different for a proper comparison. Now, moving onward.

I loved the 2004 television series. It is by far one of my favorite shows of all time. Keeping that in mind, Battlestar Galactica the novel is basically just the literary version of the show. As I read this book, I very vividly pictured the episodes unfolding beautifully before my eyes.

I notice
Lee
Apr 30, 2014 Lee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
People read movie-to-book novels for two reasons. One, they curious about the tv show/movie and want to read to see if they'll like it; or two, they are in love with the tv show/movie and they want to read to keep that flame burning. I fall into the latter category, and as such, I hated this book. (I've been trying to think if I'd have liked it if I was in the first, but as I've rewatched the show so many times, it's difficult to say.) This book is based on the mini series of the tv series. This ...more
Angela
Dec 17, 2008 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, ebooks
Battlestar Galactica: The Miniseries is one of the free ebooks I got off the Tor.com site in its promotion for going live. It's pretty much what the title advertises: a novelization of the story depicted in the opening miniseries for BSG.

Carver does a decent enough job putting the story into prose, but it's a very straightforward translation; there's nothing added to the story here. When I read a novelization of a TV show or movie, I'm generally hoping for something new to enhance what I saw in
Linda
Oct 09, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
It's basically a retelling of the terrific mini-series with details fleshing things out for a narrative. It's on the dry side, not riveting like the actual broadcast. Biggest fact error: saying William Adama's call sign is "Husher" when we devotees all know it's "Husker".

But anything that brings BSG to more people is a good thing. So say we all....
Bobby Underwood
May 04, 2016 Bobby Underwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and exciting, everything the show was. Enough time has passed to enjoy this and not bag on it simply because it is like the show. I understand the next couple of books weren't as well written or conceived, but Carver's is fantastic fun for those who loved the show. Great fun for me.
Julie-Anne Mckay
Just like watching the show
Johnny Crespo
Sep 08, 2011 Johnny Crespo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Show ever made by Man !
Lukas Lovas
I'm a fan of the TV series, so I decided to give this book a try. It's basically the same as the begining of the TV series....except the writer had absolutely no freedom to write anything new, there were even some scenes missing...all in all, watching the series was quicker and gave a much more satisfying experience. Don't judge the TV series by this book...it's much better.
Also....there is one thing...it's nothing really, but it was just so damn irritating....in the TV version of the story, the
Crystal Starr Light
I know I'm not quite in the right generation, but I have read the old Battlestar Galactica book adaptations of the TV series (thank you, public library!) and have grown rather fond of them. I was a little perturbed about the new Battlestar (particularly how Starbuck is now a woman), but I am open to new ideas, so I bought this one with my birthday gift card.
PLEASE NOTE: I have never seen the actual miniseries, so this is just a review on the book, not on how the novelization compares to the mini
Garrett
Sep 19, 2008 Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, quick read.

I haven't seen the series (I still had too many fond memories of the original and I didn't want to see Starbuck as a girl), but this book has changed my mind.

Setting: I never really knew or cared about the setting of the original (I was fairly young and just enjoyed the story), but I liked how this set it all up and explained how the cylons came to be and why this battlestar was still around, and so forth.

Plot: Not very original or unique, but not horrid either. I wasn
Syahira Sharif
Mar 01, 2013 Syahira Sharif rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Battlestar Galactica fans and SciFi fans

As an avid fan of Battlestar Galactica, I devour the series in several days, just as the same enthusiasm I had with this book actually. Usually I dislike movie-to-books adaptation and they usually a bad reincarnation of the screenplays or the author is extremely boring. The last adaptation book I read (The Dark Knight Rises) was plain awful and it doesn't add anything to the enjoyment. However, despite all the subpar unglowing reviews that this book have, I felt this book does the miniseries tru
Catherine Fitzsimmons
Yet another in the list of ebooks that I received from Tor.com before said website opened. This is a novelization of the beginning of the new Battlestar Galactica TV series, based on the old 70s series. It is the story of the namesake warship, about to be retired and turned into a museum after years of peace, only to be thrust into combat again from the sudden attack of the deadly Cylons, the robots turned war machines that rebelled against humanity decades earlier. The attack devastates the twe ...more
Dark-Draco
I usually don't like novelisations, as they tend to be one dimensional and disappointing after watching the film/TV. But this one was ok. It covers the story of the pilot mini-series, with all the characters introduced and the background filled in.

Humanity invents intelligent robots, Cylons, which are used to do all the jobs that humans don't want themselves. But when they turn on their masters, a long, bitter war is fought. No-one really wins, but both sides retreat into far space, keeping well
Caro
Apr 09, 2012 Caro rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I got it free from the Jeffery A. Carver website (free download), and now I'll have to find the next book. It seemed a little slow at the beginning, but that was for the intro to the characters ( a little confusing cuz there are a lot). But after the intro it was really good. I liked the action, suspense, emotions, characters, and the moral and tough decisions that were made. It really makes you think about how you think/feel. (i hope that was understood). Everything wa ...more
Sarah Sammis
I am old enough to have watched the original Battlestar Galactica. I watched it when it was new and I grew up watching it over and over again in reruns at my grandmother's house. It came on after The Twilight Zone, right during lunch.

When the new series started, I was asked to review the second and third books in the companion book series. I really wanted to read the first in the new series too, Battlestar Galactica by Jeffrey A. Carver. Recently I realized I could get the book via an interlibra
Nicole
Basically a book version of the 2003 miniseries. Reading this, I kept on seeing the scenes from TV running through my head. Had hoped this book would give me more insight into what the characters were thinking and feeling, perhaps some more background information than we saw on television, however this was not the case. Doesn't make this a bad book as it wasn't, just means I was a little disappointed that it wasn't all I'd hoped for.
Ashlee Kiel
This was the first novelization of a TV show I've ever read so I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I was vaguely disappointed by this book. As a blow-by-blow of the miniseries, it worked, but I wanted more background from the characters' perspectives, especially Starbuck, Adama, and President Roslin, and I didn't really get it. The writing was meh - repetitive diction made the most exciting parts of the story fairly boring, which was a letdown. It also took me forever to read because it just ...more
Septima Severa
I must confess that I was disappointed a bit. It's been just about a month since I discovered that something like Battlestar Galactica existed at all. I even cannot remember properly how I got to the so-called TV show. But ever since the first moment, I've become a BSG addict. Junkie.
And I didn't want to admit it.
It's just natural to crave for more. I wanted to explore something beyond the borders of the screen - I wanted to know more about the individual characters. To know what would they be t
Raja99
Jun 30, 2008 Raja99 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-kindle
Why I read this book: It was the Tor free eBook on the day when we were going on a trip, so I downloaded it and put it on my Kindle.

This was an enjoyable read, though it had no major surprises for me; I've watched the miniseries more than once. The author did a solid, if not spectacular, job of translating (I presume) the screenplay to SF novel form. I didn't see anything new that wasn't in the miniseries except for the name of the diplomat at the beginning (Wakefield) and the revelation that Bo
David Schick
May 05, 2010 David Schick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
As a fan of the original TV series, I avoided the remake simply on the basis of Starbuck being changed into a woman. It just seemed wrong to me on some level that the womanizer was turned into a woman. I was still curious however, despite wanting to remain true to the original series, so I read the book based on it.

WOW! They changed a lot more than a few genders, and most of it was for the better. I doubt I will ever watch the series still, and I doubt I will read any stories set in the BG unive
Teri
Mar 31, 2015 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story. This is my second time around reading the book but I also have the audio cd to which I have listened many times.
Paul
Apr 06, 2016 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fine as is the Audio. If you saw the miniseries it is just a novelization of that miniseries.
Duncan Jones
Pretty straight forward novelization of the show, some small additional bits not in the series that probably are just the deleted scenes. Doesn't add a lot if you've seen the show and reads like the script tidied up for publication.
Chloe
Yeah, it's a novelization of the SciFi Channel miniseries that ran prior to kicking off Season 1, with all of the pitfalls a book like that carries with it like the proverbial albatross. There is no new content. No special peek inside the heads of Adama or Starbuck. Pretty much just a rote recitation of the 4 hour opening of the series as put together by a writer who had the script and a very thin thesaurus. Nothing special, but it keeps my appetite whet until the series conclusion in January.
Mary
Feb 12, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, bad translation, too many errors left in for lack of time for translator to finish, probably, miss this series so much, it faced basic philosophical questions of what it means to be human, was very deep in its own way, I 'm not watching anything else on celluloid until another just as gripping series comes along, this one was just too good, its the last I'm watching for now....what I wouldn't do to see them pick up where it left off....alas.

Alvin
Jul 18, 2011 Alvin rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2011
I read this book AFTER watching the entire series. However, it has been a couple years since then. To my (bad) recollection, the book mirrored the miniseries almost exactly. Seeing the show first, enhanced my enjoyment of the book. The show was amazing, and its visuals was one of the main draws for me. But the story lines gave the show its backbone. Experiencing the story in a literary form made my love for BSG stronger.
Gordon
Feb 15, 2009 Gordon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bsg fans who don't read, quick airplane reads etc
This was a free download from Tor. As I haven't watched the new TV show (really?) I actually kinda liked it - I've caught the odd episode on cable over the years and this novel seems like it's basically as good setup/novelization of the start of the show.

Carver does a straightforward and enjoyable job of making a good fast read - many TV and film novels read like screenplays, this was _at least_ a novel.
Jennifer Sakash
audio - car trip
  • Sagittarius Is Bleeding
  • The Cylons' Secret
  • Unity
  • Reiffen's Choice (Stoneways Trilogy, #1)
  • Flash (Archform: Beauty, #2)
  • In the Midnight Hour (Light Warriors, #1)
  • The Disunited States of America (Crosstime Traffic, #4)
  • Dogland
  • Soul
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds IV
  • What You Leave Behind
  • Crystal Rain (Xenowealth, #1)
  • Touch of Evil (Thrall, #1)
  • The Science of Battlestar Galactica
  • Sun of Suns (Virga, #1)
  • Mudd in Your Eye
  • Battlestar Galactica 3: The Tombs of Kobol (Battlestar Galactica, #3)
  • Troublesome Minds (Star Trek)

Battlestar Galactica Miniseries (4 books)
  • The Cylons' Secret