Manhattans and Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #2)

Manhattans and Murder (Murder, She Wrote #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  480 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Promoting her latest book in New York, Jessica Fletcher encounters a former drug smuggler dressed up in a Santa suit and sets up an interview with him, only to discover the unlikely St. Nick dead the next day. TV tie-in.
Published December 1st 1994 by Penguin Group US (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Manhattans and Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manhattans and Murder

Berry
[As always, this rating is relevant only to this corner of fiction: MSW "novels" and others based on TV shows. Obviously with these mass market, pop fic, "readables" I don't consider the quality of the prose or anything.]

This is the second novel based on "Murder, She Wrote" and it's clear that at this point in time Donald Bain hadn't yet watched the show. At all. In the first novel he made the big faux pas in having Jessica Fletcher drive a car. On the show, she never ever drove--the creators ri...more
Jim Thornburg
This book is lightreading, not full of gut wrenching drama, but it's interesting enough. There are plot holes galore though. Some plot elements seem really unnecessary and are only there to create drama, but if they hadn't happened there would have been no story at all. I'm trying not to give any spoilers away. (But if you're trying to get away with murder, don't call the person who's investigating!) Like others have said, the ending just kind of ends and there really was no build up. Just happe...more
bella
Jessica Fletcher is in New York to launch her latest bestseller. Naturally where Jessica Fletcher goes murder and mayhem follows. Jessica is shopping in New York when she sees Waldo Morse, a convicted drug dealer who disappeared into the witness protection program when he testified against fellow drug dealers. Jessica is surprised when he asks her to meet him the next day. However, the next day Jessica witnesses Waldo's death and as she starts to snoop into the life of ex-Cabot Cove resident, sh...more
Pam
01/31/08
TITLE/AUTHOR: MURDER, SHE WROTE: MANHATTANS & MURDER
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery/1994, 277 LP pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: #2 Jessica Fletcher
TIME/PLACE: 1990's/NYC
CHARACTERS: Jessica Fletcher/mystery author
FIRST LINES: It was his eyes.

COMMENTS: library book. Jessica is promoting her latest book in Manhattan. Her publisher is taking advantage of the gift sales for the holidays and has Jessica on a busy schedule. Jessica recognizes a Santa Claus on Fifth Avenue as a forme...more
Bootsie Stumph
I love the TV show and that is why I'm making my way through these books. This one was OK but I thought the ending could have been better. Actually my rating is more of a 3.5 than 4. I'll continue reading them just to see if they continue to get better. Happy reading everyone.
Kathy Chung
I love this book as it feels very much like the television series. in here , Jessica, work hands on from page one to the end.
Liisa
Not as bad as "Murder on Parade". Still very bad. I will have to find another way to get my fix.
Mary Ann
I'm a sucker for a TV tie-in novel, let alone a series! Jessica Fletcher, Cabot Cove, Maine's own Angel of Death, is off promoting her latest novel in New York when she witnesses the street-corner murder of a hometown boy gone bad. In true J.B. Fletcher style, she snoops around until she finds out what's happened and who's responsible.

A few wonky character misfires here (Sheriff Mort's from New York, not Cabot Cove!), but an enjoyable enough look into Jessica's off-screen exploits. Spoiler alert...more
Mom
Jessica Fletcher comes to Manhattan for a Christmas-time book tour and runs into a sidewalk Santa who seems strangely familiar. She recognizes him as a former drug smuggler and the most notorious citizen of Cabot Cove, Maine. When Santa is murdered, Jessica finds herself involved in a mystery in which the police are strangely slow on their feet and the dead man's wife is uncommonly fast on the run.

Love Jessica.
Emma
my first Jessica Fletcher, have been watching the series on TV for years! :)

it was an easy read, interesting whodunnit mystery and kept my interest, short enough quick read, but good all the same, might read another one or two from the series, but think that would be all

dont think my attention would be kept interested in each book of the series, ok read though :)
Tim
Actually 2.5 stars. It was ok as far as the series goes. The reader was better on this outing than her previous I listened to (she seems more comfortable with a New York accent than a Main accent). There wasn't a lot mysterious in the mystery...but it was the first in the series.

If you are listening to the series, tick to the later titles read by Cynthia Darlow.
Susan
Captures the feel of the show and characters pretty well. Sometimes it does feel a bit weird to be completely in Jessica Fletcher's head as my perception of the character on the screen does not completely match that of the book. I do feel that the outcome of the story was a bit of a disappointment and could of been much better.
Leeann J.
Not as good as some of the others I have read in the series. The ending was kind of anti-climactic.
Daniel Devereux
I enjoyed this to a point. Waldo seemed an annoyance to me, it might have been the name though. I found this one to be a bit lacking to be honest. I think my favorite parts are her daring escape from the penthouse and Bobby. I hope we see Bobby later in the series, it's unlikely but you can always wish.
Stephanie
While I was not entirely thrilled with the conclusion of the mystery, I find that Jessica Fletcher continues to be a charming character who is a pleasure to read about. The story takes place in New York City over the holidays, so the book was more of a pleasurable read for this time of year.
Janet
Enjoyable Christmas time mystery with Jessica Fletcher. This is the second book in the series and I was happy to be able to find. Great read for this time of year.
Samm Seals
it was a fun read. I always amazed when a mystery isn't solved by me early in the read.
however, there wasn't enough explanation of the death of the priest......not a problem...good story.
Herb
In keeping with my new habit of re-reading Murder She Wrote mysteries with holiday themes, I am tackling this again and will love it again. Oh, what Jessica Fletcher does for me!
J
Great series for carrying around to read in those moments while waiting for your bus, your number to be called, your lane of traffic to move, or just waiting for the next day.
Runze
Legible but bland plot. Not terribly exhilarating but fast-paced. The main character is nicely developed.Good for a light read while waiting for the bus or before bed.
Lisa
I enjoyed reading this book. It wasn't as good as some of the others from this series that I've read. However, it filled some of the days of my summer off.
Sherri Smith
This book moved quicker & had more of the to be of the "Murder She Wrote" series than the first book. But it connected the two books very nicely.
Linda
Light weight reading but fun and fast moving. First one I've read in the Murder, She Wrote series. Will probably read more of them.
Cindy
I like these storeies. So funa nd so rich in character and info. I really felt like I was in new York with Jessica Fletcher.
Sarah Jowett
Another good one, this time with ties to back home instead of being all on location in NYC. It did kind of drag though.
Janice
Nice to have a easy read with a good story and mystery during this busy time of the year. Merry Christmas.
Lynn
Twists and turns like all of Murder She Wrote stories. Jessica is in the thick of things this time.
Jane(Janelba)
Great cozy mystery set around christmas time when Jessica is doing a book tour in New York.
Nicole Bennett
It wasn't as fun as the other books I've read on Murder She Wrote. Hopefully the next one will be!
Simona
It was a good reading...as I appreciate her on tv, I like her on the paper! Well done Jessica!
The Women's Myste...: #2 Manhattans & Murder 14 12 Feb 03, 2013 10:06PM
  • Bran New Death (Merry Muffin Mystery, #1)
  • Tragic Magic (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #7)
  • The Nine Lives of Christmas
  • Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse (Mr Monk, #1)
  • Pages of Sin (A Bibliophile Mystery, #4.5)
  • New Year's Eve Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #12)
  • A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3)
  • Out of Circulation (Cat in the Stacks, #4)
  • December Dread
  • Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)
  • A Fatal Fleece (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #6)
  • The Spy Who Came For Christmas
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
Jessica Fletcher (born Jessica Beatrice MacGill, and writes under the initialed J.B. Fletcher) is a fictional character from the US television series Murder, She Wrote.

In keeping with the spirit of the TV show, a series of official original novels have been written by American ghostwriter Donald Bain and published by the New American Library. The author credit for the novels is shared with the fic...more
More about Jessica Fletcher...
Gin & Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1) A Yuletide Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #11) Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote, #3) Murder on the QE2 (Murder, She Wrote, #9) Trick or Treachery (Murder, She Wrote, #14)