Blank-133x176
Abe Lincoln: The Boy W...

Kay Winters

Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Traditional Chinese edition of Abe Lincoln: the boy who loved books. Kay Winters and illustrator Nancy Carpenter tell the story from our sixteenth president's humble beginning. The book has won numerous awards including the 2009 Notable Children's Books. In Chinese. Distributed by Tsai Fong Books, Inc.
Published October 1st 2010 by Wei Jing/Tsai Fong Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Abe Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abe Lincoln

Casey Brock
Reading level: 1-3
Carpenter uses an interesting type of brush strokes while creating the pictures. They appear to be made on canvas because of the little white spaces between the brush strokes. The faces are rather fuzzy but they still show emotion. Winter’s uses small text throughout the story that seems to blend into the pictures at some parts. The illustrations seem to overpower a lot of the text and much of the story can be told through the pictures. The sentence length is fairly short thro...more
Andy Kavanaugh
The title of this book is Abe Lincoln: The boy who loved books. The author is Kay Winters and was illustrated by Nancy Carpenter. The book is published by Simon and Schuster. The copyright date is 2003.
This book is about Abe Lincoln, obviously. The book talks about his life as a boy and teen and mentions his deep passion for books. He reads all of his mother's books. The book goes on to mention some of his accomplishments such as being a lawyer and then becoming interested in politics. The fin...more
Maria Reyes
Summary

Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books is a picture book who talks about Abraham Lincoln and gives us information about his life. The book starts off from the time he was born until he grew up and ran to become President of the United States. This informational/biography picture book would be a good childrens book because it informs kids about his mother passing, his familyand how he came about being involved in politics and running for president.

Response

I gave this book 5 star rating, sim...more
Kristina Taylor
This picture book is also a biography of Abraham Lincoln. It tells the story of his life from the time he was born until he became president. The biography tells how his family moved and is mother dying. The story also tells how he got involved in politics and how that lead to him becoming president. The pictures in this book are colorful and full of detail.

This book is a great way to introduce children to a biography. This book is easy to understand and teaches in such a great way that kids wil...more
Caroline Downer
This biographical picture book of Abraham Lincoln was a great read! I really think this book is a great fit for children! It incorporates history, by giving facts about Abraham Lincoln's life, with entertainment, by providing very excellent illustrations and a fun story! Also, the love of books that Abraham Lincoln had is a huge part of this book itself. I think that is great because as children are reading about Abraham Lincoln, they are understanding that this famous man had a love for books a...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Abraham Lincoln loved books. He loved to learn. He loved writing. He also worked hard and appreciated life. He was an honest and great man. He was born in a log cabin in the woods and grew up to be the 16th President of the United States because he studied, worked hard and read BOOKS! This book follows Abraham Lincoln’s life from when he was an infant to 16th president and tells the reader how important reading and books were to his life.

Why I liked this book – First of all, I LOVE to read about...more
Karen
I have adored Abraham Lincoln since I first studied Law. This book only reinforces my love.

This book provides an excellent introduction to Lincoln for the younger set -- the elementary set. Lincoln's biographical story is deftly told in verse. The verse is accompanied by lovely, poignant illustrations. The two-page spread of winter scene and the cross nearly broke my heart.

Bethe
Main theme - power of reading and words can help overcome humble beginnings. Great reason role model. Solid addition to collection of biographies of the beloved 16th president.
Aprils
I enjoyed the oil illustrations. I would read this book alongside a child aged 6-8. I wouldn't use this for a storytime because it has too many words.
Mckinley
Focuses on his childhood more than his adult accomplishes although they are briefly outlined. Much more than his love of books is discussed.
Emily Bernd
This is a very good story teaching students about Abe Lincoln. I think it is a great book to connect history and reading together in one lesson.
Donalyn
Hmm. A picture book biography about Lincoln that stresses how much he loved to read? You know I have to love it:)
Betsy Owens
This is a cool way to present historical fiction. As a biography of Abe Lincoln, the author uses picturesque language. Since it is written in verse, it really covers the highlights of his life or an overview.

It begins…

In the wilds of Kentucky, 1809,
a boy was born.
His mother called him Abraham,
his last name Lincoln.
His bed was made from corn husks,
his covers, skins from bears.
His cabin built with logs
from towering trees.

As I read this book, I imagined trying to read it aloud to a class. I felt as...more
Natalie Zagara
Who doesn't love to read about Abe Lincoln. This story is akeeper for sure. With it's vivid oil paintings and it's staightforward facts, this book will entice any Lincoln-lover. Through Lincoln's life was mostly in the wilderness, Lincoln prefers books to pioneer life. He uses his reading skills to further his schooling and intelligence and goes on to becomes the 16th President of the United States. With a mix of intersesting bordered paictures and full-bled pictures, the illustarator captivates...more
Ellon
I read this book to my first grade class for Presidents' Day. I like the overall message (that education will help you achieve amazing things) but I felt like a lot of it was way over the comprehension level of children that enjoy picture books. I really could have done without the setting descriptions and would have loved if more emphasis was place on events in Lincoln's life. That being said, I think I will still read it next year since so many of my students responded well to the great centra...more
Patricia
I found this to be an excellent resource that I could use in my classroom. It is geared to K-3 students but could be used with third or fourth. It tells the life of Abe Lincoln from birth on with simple text and appealing illustrations. Abe's love of books and thirst for knowledge are apparent on most of the pages and the author uses little incidents to convey this theme. I would like to get this book for my classroom library.
Joe
This a good book for younger kids who are learning about our former president Lincoln. It's a easy read with fun pictures so that kids can follow along with someone who many be reading it to them. It talks about the life of Abraham Lincoln and how he was raise and how he became the president. It's not in depth about how he really became president or what happened afterwards, but it focuses on his pre-presidential life.
This is a really cute book. This story goes through the life of Abraham Lincoln. The story starts at his birth, goes through his education as a child, and then how he became President. This story tries to relate some of Lincoln's chores to students today so that students can relate to him somehow. Overall, this is a very informative book to learn about Mr. Lincoln.
Breanna Zarate
As a child, I always loved learning about Abe Lincoln. This biography was definitely no different. This biography tells the story of Abe Lincoln from the perspective of Abe Lincoln as a child. As the title says, it is about a boy who loved books. I would definitely recommend this biography to all teachers. It is definitely a must have!
Children's Literature Project
DRA:16-18

This book tells the life story of Abraham Lincoln. It talks about his childhood of reading many books and helping his parents with chores at the farm. The story also explores how Abe's ability to think for himself made him disagree with slavery practices of his time, and strive to be a notable sixteenth president.
Relyn
Apr 15, 2010 Relyn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody, really
Recommended to Relyn by: love the work of the illustrator
Shelves: lawsonland
I got this book from the library because I really like the illustrator's work. But, I found this biography to be well, a dud. The author was trying so hard to make Abe's life story into some sort of a weird poem that she made the language stilted and difficult to read. Plus, my class was bored by it. Never a good sign.
Jackie
This picture book biography about Abrahma Lincoln shows how he loved words and books and used that love to educate himself. The law of the land was his study as he got older and he was able to speak eloquently.

Used for "Who is Our President and What Does He Do All Day?" storytime-February, 2010.

Gustavo Garcia II
This book offers a great perspective of the childhood of the great president Abraham Lincoln. It tells about how, as a child, Abraham Lincoln loved to read books. This attribute alone can be great for inspiring a love to read in young children.
Kayla Schum
This book is about Abe Lincoln's life as a child and teenager. This then shows him becoming the president of the u.s. I think that this is good for younger children that are learning to read and teaches them about Abe Lincoln.
Marilyn
I wished it were more specific. I like the facts more than the general sweeping directions of a person's life. It hurts me to give a Lincoln book 2 stars, but it doesn't compare to the others I've read.
Jennie
This is a fantastic book for President's Day reading with little ones. I like the illustrations and the important history it teaches kids - Pres. Lincoln's feelings about slavery and education.
Amanda
This book gives a short recap of Abraham Lincoln's life. It focuses on Abe's desire to learn, read, and write. Shows how he went from living in a log cabin to finding his way to the White House.
Ruth Ann
A good introductory biography told in free verse. Readers will learn about Lincoln's childhood and the influence books had on this boy who eventually became the 16th president.
Amy
We liked this a biography of Abe Lincoln that stops before the sad ending. A good intro -- better than the one I mistakenly started with (ahem. Scarred for life!)
Lisa C
I worry a little about the historical accuracy of focusing only on the over-told good traits of our forefathers, but then again, he *was* one of our presidents.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln
  • Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)
  • Lincoln Tells a Joke: How Laughter Saved the President (and the Country)
  • Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein
  • The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
  • The Camping Trip That Changed America
  • Lost Boy: The Story of the Man Who Created Peter Pan
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • George Washington's Breakfast
  • Noah Webster and His Words
  • Gandhi
My Teacher For President This School Year Will Be the BEST! The Teeny Tiny Ghost Colonial Voices: Hear Them Speak Voices of Ancient Egypt