Start by marking “Teacher, Teacher!” as Want to Read:
Teacher, Teacher!

Teacher, Teacher! (Teacher #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  291 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
It's 1977 and Jack Sheffield is appointed headmaster of a small village primary school in North Yorkshire. So begins Jack's eventful journey through the school year and his attempts to overcome the many problems that face him as a young and inexperienced headmaster.

The many colourful chapters include Ruby the 20 stone caretaker with an acute spelling problem, a secretary w
Published May 7th 2007 by Corgi

To ask other readers questions about Teacher, Teacher!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teacher, Teacher!

Gill
Jun 18, 2012 Gill rated it it was amazing
As both a contemporary of Jack Sheffield and a retired primary head teacher myself you might expect me to give five stars to this book; just for its nostalgia value ,but NO it if far more than this. As a gently humorous read it has a lot to teach us of community and its positive influences on children then and now.

Jack Sheffield is the head of a rural school in a Yorkshire village and this is his first year of headship.Excerpts from the school logbook begin each chapter but soon we realize that
Josette
Sep 16, 2011 Josette rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
'I'm part of the Transworld book group' and was sent this book to review by Transworld.

I really loved the idea of this book, and had high hopes for it before I began, but for some reason, it just didn't quite live up to expectations.

The book is semi-autobiographical, and chronicles the first year of Jack Sheffield's role as Head Teacher at Ragley-on-the Forest primary school in North Yorkshire. There's a whole slew of colourful, larger-than-life characters, and life in the tiny village of Ragley
Jenni
Oct 20, 2011 Jenni rated it really liked it
Shelves: british-author
This was my third book for the Transworld Book Group challenge, I was really intrigued by the synopsis and as I want to read a little more non-fiction this semi-autobiographical book seemed like a good step to take.

The book covers a school year, each chapter starts with an entry from the school log book and then proceeds to tell the story behind the entry. Whilst many of these stories are funny and thoroughly entertaining, dotted throughout the book are a few more touching and emotional stories.
Juliana Graham
Jun 03, 2015 Juliana Graham rated it liked it
A sticker on the front of this book said 'if you like Gervaise Phinn you'll love this' - and to be fair the books are very similar in style and subject. A gentle tale about a young headmaster and the village school he works at in the late 1970s. I enjoyed the book because it really conjured up the day to day life of a school throughout the seasons and also introduced a series of amusing characters and sub-plots apart from the school. I think it appealed to me more because I trained as a primary ...more
Louise Graham
Aug 15, 2011 Louise Graham rated it liked it
Teacher, Teacher by Jack Sheffield is the first in a series of books depicting the time back in the late 70′s when Jack took on the responsibility of becoming Headmaster at a little primary school called Ragley School.

It’s 1977 and Jack starts his first day at the School near York in North Yorkshire. In charge of approximately 80 children and a handful of Teachers, catering personnel and his extremely organised secretary Vera. Jack starts each chapter covering the full academic school year with
Dan
Feb 27, 2013 Dan rated it liked it
This is semi-autographical book where Jack Sheffield becomes the new headmaster of a little village school in Ragley, North Yorkshire. It tells the story of his first year in the form of various anecdotes.

It is an easy read and is a heart-warming book. Each chapter is effectively a different short story and they vary in success. Some are very funny, some are heart-warming whereas others feel a bit pointless. It really is a varied book and if every chapter was as good as some of the best ones, I
Book-shelf Shelf
Aug 17, 2011 Book-shelf Shelf rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly writen as a whole book which many people will enjoy, but also as many mini stories of the goings on in the school. Jack has hit the nail on the head with the 70's where Children respected their parents and the people around them. In this time of trouble this could be the sort of book that would lift your spirits and bring back faith in humanity. A author i will be looking out for again very soon :)

‘I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Chris
Sep 15, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! I can't wait to read some more of his books. Although set in the 70s, teachers now will recognise the families and the children - in some respects they haven't changed that much. I laughed and giggled and cried all the way through this book. It is written with genuine warmth and based on true events, which makes it believable and heart-warming.
Ria
May 15, 2012 Ria rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story, full of charm and humour, the teaching equivalent of the James Herriott's All creatures great and small, written in the same witty style, full of larger than life but at the same time believeable characters.
Well worth reading.
Beadyjan
Sep 20, 2011 Beadyjan rated it it was ok
I read this book as part of the Transworld book group reading challenge 2011. Whildt the first 2 books I read for this challenge justified a full 5 stars and I completely loved them this one failed to impress quite as much and didn't entertain or amuse me as much as I'd anticipated.

It's the memoirs of a newly appointed head teacher in the 1970s in rural North Yorkshire, a place not far from where I hail and with which I am familiar and set in an era which I recall well.

Written in similar vein to
Cath
Oct 12, 2011 Cath rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: short story lovers
This is a funny autobiographical book with in every chapter a funny anecdote. It’s not a long story, but every chapter contains a new event that happened in the school year 1977-1978, when Jack Sheffield was headmaster in a little village school in Ragley, North Yorkshire.
After a wile you get to know the staff and some of the parents. There were a few I especially liked. Ruby, the caretaker had her own special way of spelling. I also liked Vera, the secretary and Beth, Mr. Sheffield’s lover.

The
Alex
May 25, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing
This was given to me at Christmas by my Great Nan, as she knew that I wanted to go in to teaching. The book shares the life that surround the village school and what goes on as Sheffield embarks on his first year as headteacher. Each chapter has a new story, almost like a book of short stories, with each one leaving you to want to find out what happens next. I now cant wait to read the next book or get into teaching. It has also inspired me to write my own teaching experiences down as well.
Nina Levison
Jan 26, 2014 Nina Levison rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this story about a Primary school in Yorkshire told through the eyes of the headteacher. Some very funny anecdotes and amusing characters in the book. As a teacher myself I appreciated the funny moments in school life and the children's hilarious spelling mistakes. As some of the chapters were better than others I only gave it four stars. Liked it enough to start reading the second book in the series, Mister,teacher.
Gina Di
Apr 22, 2011 Gina Di rated it liked it
Book 2 of the North Worcester Book Club!

Easy going and heartwarming! The novel recounts a year in the life of a primary school teacher in Yorkshire during the 70's. This book can be described as a pair of fluffy slippers!

The minor characters were well balanced and comical. Although, I found jack himself a little frustrating. This could very possibly be tge age difference between us though! It certainly left me wondering whether his reluctance to act on his relationship was a sign of the times o
Carol
May 12, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
I read the German version "Unsere kleine Schule"
Ein Buch, mit soviel hintergründigem Humor und nostalgischem Charme beschrieben, dass ich an mehreren Stellen laut lachen musste. Jedes Kapitel beginnt in Form eines Tagebucheintrages aus dem realen Dienstbuch einer englischen Grundschule in Yorkshire in den 70er Jahren und wird dann mit den eigenen Worten des damaligen Schulleiters zu einer herrlichen Anekdote aus persönlicher Sicht weiter erzählt. Ein Buch, das beim Lesen Kindheitserinnerungen eb
Sue
Oct 03, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it
Somewhat in the style of James Herriot or Gervase Phinn, this is a fictional account (almost certainly based heavily on personal experience) of a young headmaster in his first year at a small Yorkshire school in the late 1970s. I thought it very well written, giving a great impression of what life was like in a village environment. There are some colourful characters who seem believable, if caricatured, and some delightful children. It's written in the first person, with one or two very funny mo ...more
Trudi-louise
Aug 22, 2015 Trudi-louise rated it it was amazing
A light-hearted and enjoyable read. The characters are funny and engaging and there were some laugh out loud moments for me. This is the first book in a chronological series and I will definitely be seeking out the others. I would recommend this book to any teachers
Gemma
May 24, 2014 Gemma rated it liked it
Nice tales of teaching in a rural primary school. Well written and engaging with great characters. Perfect type of book to read a chapter before falling asleep.
Jen
Aug 01, 2014 Jen rated it it was amazing
Very lighthearted book. Easy to read. You can picture the scene.
Rachel
Oct 05, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
A hilarious account of a year in the life of a village school. Can't wait to get the next book in the series .
Annabel
Jun 30, 2014 Annabel rated it really liked it
Funny, light reading
Shriya
Feb 23, 2015 Shriya rated it it was ok
Recommended to Shriya by: No-one
First book of the series based on Mr Sheffield a teacher in Yorkshire during the first year; set in 1977.
Each chapter is a school log book of different days.

I had high hopes since I love shows based on school/college life particularly Waterloo Road.

Although Jack Sheffield does write well. Some interesting characters just how you would come across in schools.

I will not be reading the rest..

Recommend to:
Those brought up in Yorkshire/70s and maybe primary school teachers who like the 70s.
Angela
May 07, 2013 Angela rated it did not like it
Hmmm. Very disappointing. I guess I’m not arty farty enough to appreciate this book, but I just couldn’t get into it. I persisted through 3/4 of it but found myself always getting sleepy when reading it. The blurb on the back sounded so promising, sure to be hilarious but I just didn’t laugh once. Pages and pages describing one rather uninteresting event was very frustrating. Wouldnt bother with anything else by this author.
Terena
Jan 06, 2015 Terena rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I absolutely loved this book - OK, it may not be very original, and there may be autobiographical accounts in the same genre, but for me this book brought back happy memories, as I was in the 4th year of junior school in 1977/78 and I could remember all of the historical events that were written about. I look forward to reading the other books in the series, and hope I enjoy them all as much as this one.
Kim
Mar 04, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok
I did quite enjoy this but it was a bit too saccharine for my taste. I prefer the Miss Read or Gervaise Phinn. I think I would have liked it better if the book was a memoir rather than a novel.
Ann Massey
Feb 27, 2012 Ann Massey rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this hilarious account of a year in the life of a village school. Set in the Yorkshire Dales it is in the style of James Herriott and left me feeling nostalgic about gentler and simpler times.
Elisabeth
Jul 30, 2011 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Interesting to read from a teacher's view when i would have just started primary school. As a teacher myslef now, I think it has extra hilarity added and can't all be true but good none the less!
Tracy
Mar 03, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it
Just a lovely book that reminded me how much I enjoyed reading about daily life in Yorkshire. I'm glad I've discovered another series set in this beautiful part of the world.
Cheryl
Jan 07, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-fiction
I'm a teacher and have always wanted to live in England. This was a perfect book to read during vacation. It was easy to read and I enjoyed all the characters.
Alison
May 02, 2013 Alison rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, easy to read and will be on the lookout for the next in the series. Such a pleasure to follow the characters through the school year.
  • The Other Side of the Dale
  • Just One More Day: A Memoir
  • Saga Sigrun (Północna Droga, #1)
  • Emotional Geology
  • We Are at War: The Diaries of Five Ordinary People in Extraordinary Times
  • Summer at Fairacre (Fairacre, #16)
  • A Carpet Ride to Khiva: Seven Years on the Silk Road
  • Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)
  • Lime Street at Two
  • Waiting For Gonzo
  • Nurse On Call: The True Story of a 1950s District Nurse
  • The Grafton Girls (World War II, #3)
  • Gang of One
  • Nurse! Nurse!: A Student Nurse's Story
  • Girl with a One Track Mind - Exposed: Further Revelations of a Sex Blogger
  • Crippen
  • Send Me No Flowers
  • The New Rector (Tales from Turnham Malpas #1)

Teacher (8 books)