Start by marking “Teacher, Teacher!” as Want to Read:
Teacher, Teacher!

Teacher, Teacher! (Teacher #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  36 reviews
It's 1977 and Jack Sheffield is appointed headmaster of a small village primary school in North Yorkshire. So begins Jack's eventful journey through the school year and his attempts to overcome the many problems that face him as a young and inexperienced headmaster.

The many colourful chapters include Ruby the 20 stone caretaker with an acute spelling problem, a secretary w
Published May 7th 2007 by Corgi

To ask other readers questions about Teacher, Teacher!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teacher, Teacher!

Gill
As both a contemporary of Jack Sheffield and a retired primary head teacher myself you might expect me to give five stars to this book; just for its nostalgia value ,but NO it if far more than this. As a gently humorous read it has a lot to teach us of community and its positive influences on children then and now.

Jack Sheffield is the head of a rural school in a Yorkshire village and this is his first year of headship.Excerpts from the school logbook begin each chapter but soon we realize that
Louise Graham
Teacher, Teacher by Jack Sheffield is the first in a series of books depicting the time back in the late 70′s when Jack took on the responsibility of becoming Headmaster at a little primary school called Ragley School.

It’s 1977 and Jack starts his first day at the School near York in North Yorkshire. In charge of approximately 80 children and a handful of Teachers, catering personnel and his extremely organised secretary Vera. Jack starts each chapter covering the full academic school year with
Josette
'I'm part of the Transworld book group' and was sent this book to review by Transworld.

I really loved the idea of this book, and had high hopes for it before I began, but for some reason, it just didn't quite live up to expectations.

The book is semi-autobiographical, and chronicles the first year of Jack Sheffield's role as Head Teacher at Ragley-on-the Forest primary school in North Yorkshire. There's a whole slew of colourful, larger-than-life characters, and life in the tiny village of Ragley
Jenni
This was my third book for the Transworld Book Group challenge, I was really intrigued by the synopsis and as I want to read a little more non-fiction this semi-autobiographical book seemed like a good step to take.

The book covers a school year, each chapter starts with an entry from the school log book and then proceeds to tell the story behind the entry. Whilst many of these stories are funny and thoroughly entertaining, dotted throughout the book are a few more touching and emotional stories.
Dan
This is semi-autographical book where Jack Sheffield becomes the new headmaster of a little village school in Ragley, North Yorkshire. It tells the story of his first year in the form of various anecdotes.

It is an easy read and is a heart-warming book. Each chapter is effectively a different short story and they vary in success. Some are very funny, some are heart-warming whereas others feel a bit pointless. It really is a varied book and if every chapter was as good as some of the best ones, I
Book-shelf Shelf
Brilliantly writen as a whole book which many people will enjoy, but also as many mini stories of the goings on in the school. Jack has hit the nail on the head with the 70's where Children respected their parents and the people around them. In this time of trouble this could be the sort of book that would lift your spirits and bring back faith in humanity. A author i will be looking out for again very soon :)

‘I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Chris
Fantastic book! I can't wait to read some more of his books. Although set in the 70s, teachers now will recognise the families and the children - in some respects they haven't changed that much. I laughed and giggled and cried all the way through this book. It is written with genuine warmth and based on true events, which makes it believable and heart-warming.
Ria
Brilliant story, full of charm and humour, the teaching equivalent of the James Herriott's All creatures great and small, written in the same witty style, full of larger than life but at the same time believeable characters.
Well worth reading.
Beadyjan
I read this book as part of the Transworld book group reading challenge 2011. Whildt the first 2 books I read for this challenge justified a full 5 stars and I completely loved them this one failed to impress quite as much and didn't entertain or amuse me as much as I'd anticipated.

It's the memoirs of a newly appointed head teacher in the 1970s in rural North Yorkshire, a place not far from where I hail and with which I am familiar and set in an era which I recall well.

Written in similar vein to
Cath
Oct 12, 2011 Cath rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: short story lovers
This is a funny autobiographical book with in every chapter a funny anecdote. It’s not a long story, but every chapter contains a new event that happened in the school year 1977-1978, when Jack Sheffield was headmaster in a little village school in Ragley, North Yorkshire.
After a wile you get to know the staff and some of the parents. There were a few I especially liked. Ruby, the caretaker had her own special way of spelling. I also liked Vera, the secretary and Beth, Mr. Sheffield’s lover.

The
Nina Levison
Really enjoyed this story about a Primary school in Yorkshire told through the eyes of the headteacher. Some very funny anecdotes and amusing characters in the book. As a teacher myself I appreciated the funny moments in school life and the children's hilarious spelling mistakes. As some of the chapters were better than others I only gave it four stars. Liked it enough to start reading the second book in the series, Mister,teacher.
Gina Di
Book 2 of the North Worcester Book Club!

Easy going and heartwarming! The novel recounts a year in the life of a primary school teacher in Yorkshire during the 70's. This book can be described as a pair of fluffy slippers!

The minor characters were well balanced and comical. Although, I found jack himself a little frustrating. This could very possibly be tge age difference between us though! It certainly left me wondering whether his reluctance to act on his relationship was a sign of the times o
Carol
I read the German version "Unsere kleine Schule"
Ein Buch, mit soviel hintergründigem Humor und nostalgischem Charme beschrieben, dass ich an mehreren Stellen laut lachen musste. Jedes Kapitel beginnt in Form eines Tagebucheintrages aus dem realen Dienstbuch einer englischen Grundschule in Yorkshire in den 70er Jahren und wird dann mit den eigenen Worten des damaligen Schulleiters zu einer herrlichen Anekdote aus persönlicher Sicht weiter erzählt. Ein Buch, das beim Lesen Kindheitserinnerungen eb
Sue
Somewhat in the style of James Herriot or Gervase Phinn, this is a fictional account (almost certainly based heavily on personal experience) of a young headmaster in his first year at a small Yorkshire school in the late 1970s. I thought it very well written, giving a great impression of what life was like in a village environment. There are some colourful characters who seem believable, if caricatured, and some delightful children. It's written in the first person, with one or two very funny mo ...more
Gemma
Nice tales of teaching in a rural primary school. Well written and engaging with great characters. Perfect type of book to read a chapter before falling asleep.
Jen
Very lighthearted book. Easy to read. You can picture the scene.
Annabel
Funny, light reading
Shriya
Feb 23, 2015 Shriya rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shriya by: No-one
First book of the series based on Mr Sheffield a teacher in Yorkshire during the first year; set in 1977.
Each chapter is a school log book of different days.

I had high hopes since I love shows based on school/college life particularly Waterloo Road.

Although Jack Sheffield does write well. Some interesting characters just how you would come across in schools.

I will not be reading the rest..

Recommend to:
Those brought up in Yorkshire/70s and maybe primary school teachers who like the 70s.
Angela
Hmmm. Very disappointing. I guess I’m not arty farty enough to appreciate this book, but I just couldn’t get into it. I persisted through 3/4 of it but found myself always getting sleepy when reading it. The blurb on the back sounded so promising, sure to be hilarious but I just didn’t laugh once. Pages and pages describing one rather uninteresting event was very frustrating. Wouldnt bother with anything else by this author.
Terena
I absolutely loved this book - OK, it may not be very original, and there may be autobiographical accounts in the same genre, but for me this book brought back happy memories, as I was in the 4th year of junior school in 1977/78 and I could remember all of the historical events that were written about. I look forward to reading the other books in the series, and hope I enjoy them all as much as this one.
Kim
I did quite enjoy this but it was a bit too saccharine for my taste. I prefer the Miss Read or Gervaise Phinn. I think I would have liked it better if the book was a memoir rather than a novel.
Ann Massey
I enjoyed this hilarious account of a year in the life of a village school. Set in the Yorkshire Dales it is in the style of James Herriott and left me feeling nostalgic about gentler and simpler times.
Elisabeth
Interesting to read from a teacher's view when i would have just started primary school. As a teacher myslef now, I think it has extra hilarity added and can't all be true but good none the less!
Tracy
Just a lovely book that reminded me how much I enjoyed reading about daily life in Yorkshire. I'm glad I've discovered another series set in this beautiful part of the world.
Cheryl
I'm a teacher and have always wanted to live in England. This was a perfect book to read during vacation. It was easy to read and I enjoyed all the characters.
Alison
Loved this book, easy to read and will be on the lookout for the next in the series. Such a pleasure to follow the characters through the school year.
Laura Cope
Julie Kendrick
It's ok. A nice easy read but far from hilarious as it says on the cover.
Melanie
Those were the days - and to think, only 40 years ago
Stargazer
Not as good as Gervase Phinn or James Herriot, but in a similar vein. Didn't appeal to me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Other Side of the Dale
  • Just One More Day: A Memoir
  • Emotional Geology
  • Nurse! Nurse!: A Student Nurse's Story
  • Seasons in the Sun: The Battle for Britain, 1974-1979
  • A Carpet Ride to Khiva: Seven Years on the Silk Road
  • Return to Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #5)
  • We Are at War: The Diaries of Five Ordinary People in Extraordinary Times
  • Dear Lupin...Letters to a Wayward Son
  • Darwin, His Daughter, and Human Evolution
  • The Shadow Collector (Wesley Peterson, #17)
  • The Summer Season
  • The Look of Love
  • Buster's Diaries as told to Roy Hattersley
  • The Grafton Girls (World War II, #3)
  • The Stationmaster's Farewell