Blank-133x176
The Aguero Sisters

Cristina García

The Aguero Sisters

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  821 ratings  ·  50 reviews
In this novel of family history and myth, Christina Garcia gives us Reina and Constancia Aguero, sisters who grew up in Cuba, but who haven't talked in thirty years--not since Constancia snuck out of Cuba and crossed the water to the United States, where she assimilated into her adopted country's culture as completely and deeply as she could. The beautiful and charismatic...more
Hardcover
Published by Macmillan _ (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Aguero Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aguero Sisters

Ronald Wise
A well-crafted story of the reunion of two sisters separated from early life by disparate familial loyalties, and later by political paths following the rise of El Comandante in Cuba. There is a wealth of ironies and mystical significance bordering on magical realism, yet the complex personalities are not compromised and remain as strong entities in the reader's imagination. García also provides a complex modern perspective on the Cuban situation, going right to the heart of the issues facing Cu...more
lori
I liked this book at times but the style of writing, the magical/santeria elements, and some of the loose ends left were not really my cup of tea. The book provided some interesting insight into the lives, cultures, and mindsets of Cubans living on the island and contrasts it with those who made it to Miami both historically and more contemporarily. I was only really drawn to one or two of the characters and found it difficult to relate but that may have been a personal preference as I was irrit...more
Jessica
This is a tough one to summarize. Constancia and Reina are sisters, but Constancia left Cuba as a young woman and sold cosmetics in New York, while Reina stayed and served as an electrician for the revolution. Both women are haunted by the memory of their father and the mysterious death of their mother, Blanca.

The story bounces back and forth among the sisters, their parents and Reina's daughter, Dulcita, who has decamped to Madrid with an older man. Meanwhile, Reina is recovering from a lightni...more
Chris
Overall rather slow moving. Never really cared for the characters. Ending was odd. There were many parts that didn't have any resolution. Did Ignacio murder Blanca intentionally? Is Reina pregnant? (At 48?). Is Dulcita dying of cancer, suffering from STD, pregnant or going thru menopause? Is Isabel crazy now, like her grandmother, Blanca? What was deal with the crazy fish bite on Blancas heel, and bite on isabels hand and the mark on baby raku? Was the fragment of bone that Blanca kept in the po...more
Nikki Handros
This is the story of two Cuban sisters, estranged for 30 years -- one living in Cuba, the other in the United States.
The two are quite different, shaped in separate ways by their childhood and disparate memories of how their parents lived and died.
Rather than being the story of the early Cuban exile community from the 1950's and 1960's, this tale mostly takes place in the early 1990's -- even later than the Mariel boatlift that saw so many of Cuba's unwanted and criminal element dumped on our sh...more
Jennifer Johnson
This book was a more challenging read for me- harder to follow and grasp the general understanding the author is aiming at. (Not a great first book club book... I hope I don't sound like an idiot when I'm talking about it.)

The story begins with a murder- and then the fallout(?) in the lives of the individuals effected. The father, who can't seem to forgive himself, the daughter who embraces her dead mother's spirit and the other duaughter who wants to erase her memory entirely. It also vaguely f...more
Molly
(3.5/5)

"Constancia considered him a hazard, like languor or sunstroke, and resisted his contagion. But it only drove him toward her all the more. The day Gonzalo took her hand, he left a live stain. It colonized her arm, overpowered her heart. Constancia and he shattered all language their first month together. Then Gonzalo had nothing left to say." (76)

"Meanwhile, roses arrive for Reina by the dozens, red and humming, as if invisible microphones were recording their decay. Constancia's apartmen...more
Ruth
There is plenty I liked about this book. The pair of sister-protagonists is unforgettable, & the landscapes are sumptuous. The Cuban natural history (which I assume has some basis in fact) is fascinating, as are the glimpses into recent-contemporary Cuban society both on the island & in Miami.

The storytelling style always held me at a distance from the characters, so I can't say it is my favorite kind of book, the kind that hooks me at a deep level & makes me laugh & cry with the...more
Vilja
I can't decide for sure how I feel about this one. The writing drew me into the lives of the family members, and her representation of memory was intriguing. I just hated all of the characters, with the exception of maybe Ignacio. I felt like I SHOULD like Reina, but I couldn't. I hated everything about Blanca, in particular. I get tired of reading stories about "strong" women who are either crazy or completely heartless and cruel. Surely there is some middle ground between this and the "angel o...more
Shannon
I don't know, Cristina Garcia is just such a lovely writer. Her writing is like a sensual, sexy, voluptuous woman with a robust appetite--that is the only way I know how to describe it. It's pleasurable, it's sexy, it's funny, it's beautiful, it's informative--I could go on and on. Her books are like a vacation. I had a good friend read this while in Hawaii. She said it was, indeed, the perfect book to read on the beach. I will always, ALWAYS be a sucker for delicious fiction and, for me, no one...more
Shannon
I just recommended this book to someone as a #1 vacation read and realized I have never reviewed this book. Egads!! Just because it's a vacation read doesn't mean I think it's trashy. Maybe just a smidge, but in the classiest way possible. It's been so long since I've read this, it's difficult for me to remember the book. What I do remember is that it had me swooning the whole way through. Cristina Garcia is a gorgeous writer. I think I need to re-read this very soon.
Carol Hunter
Since I am fascinated with latin cultures, this book about 2 estranged Cuban sisters was a compelling book. Riena is a tall, hypnotically beautiful member of the revolution. Constancia a petite , beauty expert, who lives in Miami and becomes haunted by the unexplained death of her mother many year earlier. The struggles of these sisters who were raised in dramatically different, but still Cuban cultures, caused me to be drawn into their story.
Laurie
Sep 26, 2010 Laurie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of magical realism and/or of Cuba
Just-right magical realism that works for the story. There is a mystery within the story, but it is not a mystery novel. Constancia lives in New York City, having created a successful line of cosmetics. Her estranged sister Reina, the electrician, remains in Cuba. Reina is sexual, sizzling hot - even before she was struck by lightning while perched in a tree. Lovely, rich, evocative writing. I've read this twice. Yum.
Kateri
I met Christina Garcia at Northwestern and was talking to her about writing and inspiration - she asked me what my major was, I told her engineering, we all laughed. What ever happened to my writing... or my engineering for that matter?? I might need to get back on the former - probably not the latter :) I found Christina Garcia's insight into Miami Latin culture very entertaining, I will always enjoy her novels.
Katie
This book was all about character development & the complicated relationship between sisters. I enjoyed the beautiful writing but found the story to be a bit slow (because it involves the daily activities of the sisters...and how they relate to one another after 30 years apart). I would recommend it as a quality read, but this is not a beach book or something to read quickly over a weekend!
Amy
Like Dreaming in Cuban, this book gives us a glimpse into both Cuban and Cuban-American culture - and somehow without politicizing them - I haven't decided if that's good or not. I like the human, individual stories, but I also crave more political perspective, especially when it comes to Cuba. I miss the magical realism of Dreaming in Cuban - there is some, but I was expecting more.
Jalilah
Like her first novel Dreaming in Cuban, the Aguero Sisters also follows the lives of various Cubans, 2 sisters, one living in New York and Miami the other who is still in Cuba and their father, a scientist pre-revolution Cuba. I liked it slightly less than Dreaming in Cuba just because I did not like the characters as much, but I still would highly recommend it.
Marjie
I picked this up at a beach house and was mesmerized by the various characters, descriptions of Cuba (past and present), language, and magic realism. However, when I returned home (and waited for it from the library) I was frustrated by the lack of follow-through and ambiguity. Perhaps if I had read it all at once I would have enjoyed it more.
Rachel
I liked the prose of this book and the weird biologist father's reminiscing about catching and cataloging Cuban specimens. I wasn't such a fan of the bizarre sexually related (?) scenes, but I guess I understand that Garcia exaggerated some stereotypes and slightly changed them to make a point about widespread beliefs about Cubans.
Katrina
Great story about 2 Cuban sisters--one living in Miami and one still living in Cuba--who reunite after 30 years to finally discover how their mother died when they were young and why their father committed suicide shortly after. Actually learned a lot about Cuban history by reading this book.
Terry Tschann Skelton
This was one of those books that leaves me unsatisfied--I felt I never really understood the characters--they seemed to operate from places I've never been and the author was unable to describe to me. Cultural gap, maybe? Or is the story too much of an allegory for my literal mind?
Tal vez mi español no es tan bien. Creo que no entendía las sutilidades de esta historia. Me gusta mucho historias de hermanas adultas, y Reina y Constancia son carácteres muy distintas. Creo que sería una buena película, sin las secciones del Ignacio (no son muy interestante para mí).
Chanté
I truly enjoyed this book. The narrative is non-linear and jumps back and forth in time, which keeps the reader engaged with all the characters. The female characters in the novel are refreshing despite their flaws.
Ryan Mishap
Two sisters--one in Cuba, the other in the U.S.--and how the murder of their mother affected their lives. I didn't really like the characters or the writing that much, and prefer her first book, Dreaming in Cuban.
Sarah Ashley Simmons
May 28, 2008 Sarah Ashley Simmons rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: magical realism fans, sisters
good descriptive writing but weak character development. I did find relationship between sisters interesting- if you are "a sister" who loves magical realism, this may be a book for you....
Carrie
I don't know how I feel about this one. The weird sex stuff throws me off; maybe I don't get all of the symbolism. And, as with her other books, I felt the ending was unsatisfying.
Dave
I'm still processing this one. Garcia puts a lot of sublimated complexity into her novels, and this one is no exception. An interesting group of insights on memory and history.
Sue Sharp
multigenerational story of a Cuban family. Somewhat mystical. Each of the family members are so different from each other, and each has their own dysfunction.
RUSA CODES
This was one of the 1998 RUSA Notable Books winners. For the complete list, go to http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rus...
  • Bitter Grounds
  • Almanac of the Dead
  • Adios Hemingway
  • Moonlight on the Avenue of Faith
  • Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands
After working for Time Magazine as a researcher, reporter, and Miami bureau chief, García turned to writing fiction. Her first novel, Dreaming in Cuban (1992), received critical acclaim and was a finalist for the National Book Award. She has since published her novels The Agüero Sisters (1997) and Monkey Hunting (2003), and has edited books of Cuban and other Latin American literature. Her fourth...more
More about Cristina García...
Dreaming in Cuban The Lady Matador's Hotel Monkey Hunting Dreams of Significant Girls A Handbook to Luck