Start by marking “The Sinatra Club: My Life Inside the New York Mafia” as Want to Read:
The Sinatra Club: My Life Inside the New York Mafia

The Sinatra Club: My Life Inside the New York Mafia

The Mob was the biggest, richest business in America--too dangerous and too deadly to fail. Until it was destroyed from within by drugs, greed, and the decline of its traditional Crime Family values. And by guys like Sal Polisi. Born in Brooklyn, Polisi was raised on a family legacy as a member of the Colombos, one of the New York Mob's feared Five Families, and came of ag ...more
Published July 24th 2012 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sinatra Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sinatra Club

Donna
Jul 01, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, true-crime
The Sinatra Club was a book that I had won through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I am glad that I was a recipient of this book. It deserves more than 5 stars.

The Sinatra Club was an illegal after hours gambling den where the up and coming mobsters like John Gotti and other wiseguys hung out. Sal Polisi ran the club and was raised in the life of crime and became a member of the Colombo family, one of New York's Five Families that were feared by many.

Sal Polisi tells his story about his pers
Marisa Gonzalez
Aug 03, 2013 Marisa Gonzalez rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoir
I got halfway through this book and gave up on it. Sally Ubatz was not that high up in the mafia ranks though he tries to make it seem like he was. Also, not sure why he mentions JFK and JEH events as facts when he was not part of those plots and is only stating them as hearsay or referring to something he read in a book. Don't bother with this one. I highly recommend reading "Underboss" the book by Sammy Gravano instead.
Steven
Sep 17, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime, 2012-read
Another perspective on the New York City mob. This was a good read.The mob could not have been so successful without the collusion of those meant to protect. Shame on the gangsters but an even greater shame on the bad apples among those in Law Enforcement, particularly JEH (don't want to spoil anything).
Paul Pessolano
Jul 04, 2012 Paul Pessolano rated it liked it
“The Sinatra Club” by Sal Polisi and Steve Dougherty, published by Gallery Books.

Category – True Crime

Sal Polisi lived in the Life. The Life was the New York Mafia and he loved it. He became a member of the Colombo Family, one of the five families that controlled most of the illegal activities in New York.

Sal started out as most criminals did, he started with petty theft, moving up to car jacking, and then into the big time. Although Sal never “whacked” anyone, he was part of some of the most da
Hal
Jun 30, 2013 Hal rated it liked it
I'm hesitant to review this book, subject to possible repercussions. Just kidding of course. This book is a tell all of former Mob connected soldier Sal Polisi affectionately know as Sally Ubbatz. Ubbatz meaning whacko. Sal turned informant late in his career and testified against John Gotti in the trial he was acquitted before finally being convicted through the turn of Sammy Gravano.

Though the book was entertaining at times, if one can describe things of this nature in that way, it left me won
Dylan
Nov 16, 2016 Dylan rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great firsthand account of the life of mafia member, Sal Polisi. This book is about Sal Polisi, a man who grew up around the mafia and had a direct tie with the mob because of his uncle, who was also a member. After a short time in the Marines he decided to join the life he always dreamed of, and became a mafia member. He loved the life of crime, money, action and especially robbing. But as all good times come to an end, he had to become the one thing he despised most, a rat ...more
Mike Kennedy
Sep 24, 2014 Mike Kennedy rated it really liked it
Good first hand account of an NYC Mobster in the 1970's. Sally "Ubatz" Polisi grew up hearing stories from his Uncle Tony, as well as, seeing first hand what it was like to be a mobster. He grew up into "The Life", and became friends with a lot of famous mobsters from John Gotti to the Goodfella trio (Henry Hill, Jimmy Burke, and Tommy Desimone). Polisi has a lot great stories to tell, and he knows how to spin them. He tells them with a lot of Bravado, and makes you feel as though you are in the ...more
Aug 15, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a fast moving, engaging read. Polisi shares first hand accounts of some stories we know about and others we don’t. I’m not sure how much is true, but it sure makes a good story.

Dougherty writes with a style that seems to capture a gangster’s word choices and way of speaking, lending a feeling of authenticity to the tale. The book is well written overall, without seeming overworked. The inclusion of interesting details, humorous blunders, and teasers that tip the reader off to connection
Marissa
Sep 11, 2013 Marissa rated it liked it
This book was OK. A lot of general information that you probably already know about the mafia, except you get first hand accounts of stories of heists, robberies, and such from a man on the inside...sort of. I find it quite hard to believe that Polisi has this much information and that the big shots were that close to him since he technically wasn't a "made man". So it leaves me wondering, how much of this book is fabricated? Overall though, I did enjoy reading the book. I like the crime, the co ...more
Matt
Apr 06, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: mafia-new-york
This was a surprisingly good read. Like so many other books, I went in expecting another book from a small time hood with a peripheral set of relationships rehashing pretty public history.

This ended up better than that. Pretty good history of the Mafia and some good stories overall. Polisi was not a high ranking guy, but did brush with many of them especially John Gotti.

If you like Mafia history, and some decent stories of “the life”, this is an entertaining read. Pretty well written overall, ni
thomas
Mar 14, 2014 thomas rated it really liked it
Being a Bronx-bred Italian who worked in air cargo at JFK airport since 1988 I think I know a thing or two about wise guys. Well, whatever I didn't know this book filled in the blanks. Polisi is brutally honest about himself and some other guys you may have heard of...Gotti, Jimmy Burke, Henry Hill, Gambino, Castellano.

Polisi doesn't make excuses for his thieving, degenerate past and shows some compassion for those he hurt, both physically and emotionally.

If you watched The Sopranos or Wiseguys
Jane
Jul 17, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
If your nursing a craving for anything and everything Mob this book will pull you in. If you are however just passing by; you may find a good half of the book a little repetitive and redundant. The Author(s) drag us through crime after crime and each one similar to the one previous.

At times I felt that it was so heavily laced with narcissism, and at other times it felt sweet and a little sincere. I do not know how much of this story is true, but I certainly enjoyed reading it regardless.

Marcel
Apr 05, 2016 Marcel rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - nothing is held back about the author's time in the Mob. Warts and all, this book shows what that Life could do to a person who could have probably found a very successful legitimate life.

The romanticism of the Mob is shown to be just that with the ugly realities of the Life mentioned throughout the book - misogynism, bigotry, and an overall disregard for everyone that wasn't "connected."

Powerful read that pulls you in.
Denise Ogerly
Interesting enough

This book was interesting enough,but it kind of bobbed and weaved throughout the story making it hard to follow the characters at times. Enjoyed and marveled at times how the crime and violence in his world was just so "everyday at the office" type of stuff. Wiseguy was a MUCH better written and interesting story to read.
Grant Koceja
Jul 08, 2015 Grant Koceja rated it really liked it
The book was less than I thought it was going to be. I expected a made man-up top, calling some shots. But, it was about an associate who ran a illegal gambling joint. It was a good read and I liked it for what it was. From his life around the crew to his affair it does a good job with it's story telling from the POV of Sally "Ubatz" Polisi. I enjoyed it!!!
Frank Aguirre
Oct 19, 2013 Frank Aguirre rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
One of the better true crime New York mob books I have read. Lots of good stories and it ties the Goodfells crew to the Gotti story. I really enjoyed this book a lot.
W T
Apr 15, 2013 W T rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very entertaining, if that's the word. I guess you could always question it, but to get a glimpse of that life was an exciting yet disgusting ride.
Wendy
Jan 24, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
If you love American history and the Godfather, you will like this book.
Catherine
Oct 01, 2013 Catherine rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. Its very much in the same genre as Goodfella's and other New York Mafia Accounts but I found it enjoyable all the same
Anthony Frausto
Jan 23, 2013 Anthony Frausto rated it liked it
Good easy read. If you liked goodfellas you will like this book.
Jan Byrne
Dec 04, 2012 Jan Byrne rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! Amazing to think the Mob was still going on in late 70's! I'm Italian so I love all things and books Italian.
Cynde Shepard
Feb 02, 2013 Cynde Shepard rated it did not like it
Horribly poorly written!
Shannon Miller
May 24, 2015 Shannon Miller rated it it was amazing
Great read. Sal's lucky to be alive.
Josh Rogers
Jan 23, 2013 Josh Rogers rated it really liked it
Great perspective from Polisi. Interesting take on the mob and connections to JFK assassination, laundering money from drug trade, and J. Edgar's relationship. Enjoyed this one a lot.
Jean Konieczny
Jun 24, 2012 Jean Konieczny rated it really liked it
Shelves: won-books
An insider story on the New York Mafia. Very engaging, educational, and eye openeing.
Steve
Sep 25, 2012 Steve rated it did not like it
Worst mob book ever. Who is hi guy?
Frankp
Jun 03, 2015 Frankp rated it did not like it
Somehow the author has find a way to make the Mafia Life boring. I made it about 3/4 of the way through, realized I didn't care about any of the characters and was far from being entertained.
Randy
Oct 18, 2016 Randy rated it it was amazing
Excellent and honest look into the Mob. Blew me away.
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
May 16, 2014
Sean
Sean rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
  • Family Secrets: The Case That Crippled the Chicago Mob
  • Making Jack Falcone: An Undercover FBI Agent Takes Down a Mafia Family
  • Mafia Prince: Inside America's Most Violent Crime Family and the Bloody Fall of La Cosa Nostra
  • Unlocked: A Journey from Prison to Proust
  • Mafia Wife
  • Brotherhoods: The True Story of Two Cops Who Murdered for the Mafia
  • The Underboss: The Rise and Fall of a Mafia Family
  • Mafia Kingfish
  • Betrayal: Whitey Bulger and the FBI Agent Who Fought to Bring Him Down
  • The Butcher: Anatomy of a Mafia Psychopath
  • The Mad Ones: Crazy Joe Gallo and the Revolution at the Edge of the Underworld
  • Covert: My Years Infiltrating the Mob
  • Mob Boss: The Life of Little Al D’Arco, the Man Who Brought Down the Mafia
  • Murder Machine: A True Story of Murder, Madness, and the Mafia
  • With God in Russia
  • Mafia Son: The Scarpa Mob Family, the FBI, and a Story of Betrayal
  • Double Cross: The Explosive, Inside Story of the Mobster Who Controlled America
  • The Valachi Papers (aka The Canary That Sang)

“Trafficante celebrated in a Tampa restaurant with his lawyer, Ragano. “We’ll make” 0 likes