Start by marking “The Case of the Baited Hook” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Baited Hook

The Case of the Baited Hook (Perry Mason #16)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  397 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Who was that masked woman? That's the question plaguing the perpetually inquiring mind of Perry Mason. No one loves a good mystery more than Mason--but being asked to represent a client who's concealing her identity, not to mention the particulars of her case, has given even the legendary legal eagle a case of ruffled feathers.
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published January 12th 1986 by Ballantine Books (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Baited Hook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Baited Hook

Kevin
Jan 15, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
At last, a Perry Mason mystery where I actually guessed the correct guilty party in the book's murder! Granted, I had no idea how or why this person was guilty--so Perry is still smarter than I am.

This enjoyable mystery from 1940 offers a change from the usual format, in that Perry never even goes to the courtroom in this novel. Perry Mason is dragged from bed one rainy night after midnight to meet a mysterious man (who's given him a fake name) and a woman who refuses to speak and wears a mask
Syrdarya
Jan 12, 2016 Syrdarya rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is rather different from the other Perry Mason books to which I've listened. This one starts off with Perry receiving a call in the middle of the night when he's at home, and he heads out into the rain to meet a potential client at his office. The client goes through all kinds of measures to remain mysterious and to keep the identity of the woman with him a secret, and he ends up retaining Perry as the woman's attorney by leaving half of a $10,000 bill with Mason.

Since the client is unknown
Margaret
Sep 25, 2015 Margaret rated it liked it
The Case of the Baited Hook by Erle Stanley Gardner is an legal/court mystery, with a touch of noir. It was written and 1940 and set in Los Angeles.

This book is one of many starring the perfect and slightly crooked California lawyer, Perry Mason, his eager secretary Della Street and lazy-mannered private-eye Paul Drake. This tells the story of Byrl Gailord and her guardian Mrs. A. E. Tump, and the protection of funds kept in trust. This small matter evolves into a clandestine meeting on a stormy
Siva Ranjani
Sep 16, 2012 Siva Ranjani rated it it was amazing
My first Perry Mason experience.Loved the writing style and the way the tale unfolds throughout the story instead of the usual makes-sense towards the end.Cropping of new problems in the last but chapter makes you read until the last line.
DavidO
Apr 22, 2014 DavidO rated it liked it
This is Sergeant Halcomb's last case, so I thought he'd get fired in it. Sadly, he gets transfered away from Homicide off-screen between this book and the next one.

The case was pretty interesting, though I'm skeptical that the set-up made sense considering Mason's character. In short, someone offers Mason to take a case without knowing the client, and offers him 12,000$ to do it. Mason takes the case, though in many previous books he's made a point of saying the money isn't a big deal to him.
Rusty
WhoWho did it? This is my first thought whenever I read a Perry Mason mystery.

Called to his office on a rainy night at midnight, Mason meets a man with an assumed name and a woman who is totally disguised from head to foot and wearing a mask. The man seeks Mason's services for the woman for something that will break in the newspapers in the next few days. Mason knows not what it will be but sits through the discussion nevertheless. He receives half of a $10,000 and is to help the woman when she
Mike Calabrese
Mar 21, 2015 Mike Calabrese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Interesting that...

The Perry Mason books, which predated the TV show, almost never made it to trail. Perry solved the crime, the perpetrators got arrested and that was the end of the book. On the TV show, they most always spend the last 15-20 minutes of the show at the trial. Though these books do take liberties that the TV show couldn't. This was a good read.
Ed
Aug 12, 2012 Ed rated it liked it
Shelves: legal
#16 in the Perry Mason series. The $10,000 bill as a plot gimmick helps date this 1940 mystery. For a change, Perry is as puzzled as anyone else.

Perry Mason series - One rainy night Robert Peltham calls Perry Mason and asks to meet him at once. With him is a masked women whom Peltham wants Mason to represent. Peltham cuts a $10,000 bill in half, gives one half to Mason and the other half to the masked woman. The bait. When Albert Tidings is found murdered, Mason knows his client will be indicted
Brandy B. Stark
Feb 17, 2015 Brandy B. Stark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pulpy

I like the tv Perry better. This is still fun, though! He is egotistical but brilliant, and it is a unique read.
Kevin
Dec 21, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did Erle Stanley Gardner ever write a clunker. So far, he hasn't. On to #17.
Barbara
Jan 30, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always a fun read, Gardner had me guessing right to the end

Note the description of this book against the title/cover edition is not correct.
Donna
Aug 30, 2010 Donna rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: series readers
Shelves: mystery
Perry is baited with a $10,000 fee to represent an unknown client. Contains an interesting theory of solving a mystery: look to the person trying to establish the alibi earliest in time. Also contains a good explanation of the "law of agency" which reflects Gardner's legal background...though maybe a bit detailed for the lay person.

I love the courtroom drama of the TV series, so when Perry solves a case before it gets to court, I'm always a bit disappointed.
Neha
Apr 12, 2011 Neha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes a good whodunit
The book is a typical whodunit and has all the characters present in any Mason book, Paul Drake, Della Street, Gertie, Hamilton Burger and Lt. Tragg. The book revolves about the fact that Mason is baited in the start of the book by a $10,000 retainer to represent an unknown client and as a result makes certain mistakes.
More on http://nehasbookshelf.blogspot.com/20...
Elderberrywine
Dec 26, 2015 Elderberrywine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
All right, at this point, I think you can put me down as a total Della Street fangirl. What can I say, that was the last thing I expected when I started off on this crazy series.

As she so very succinctly puts it, after a mysteriously shrouded female with a bizarre story and half a ten thousand dollar bill (the other half left with Mason, of course) disappears into the night, "Ain't we got fun!"
Cathy Houston
Jul 12, 2015 Cathy Houston rated it liked it
interesting Perry Mason read
RL
Jul 30, 2010 RL rated it really liked it
There was no court scene in this book. In the first chapter, Mason does something stupid and spends the rest of the book in a combination of helping differnt clinets while trying to get himself out of the jam that he let himself into. I might read it again in a few years. It is worth reading once.
Jan 15, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I just couldn't get into this mystery. There was too much plot based around stocks, which bored me. I didn't find the characters engaging, and I thought the ending was a bit abrupt.
Sahanaa Elangovan
Aug 18, 2013 Sahanaa Elangovan rated it really liked it
Have you gone through murder-enquiry books?
Unlike Aghatha , Perry Mason has a well-do-it-all mixture of solving the criminal case..
Who's the murderer ?? The tentative feeling was kept plush and rushing throughout the novel!
Jennifer Junker
May 13, 2013 Jennifer Junker rated it liked it
This is the first Perry Mason story I have read. A good mystery, but it revolves around social concepts that are pretty foreign to someone born after 1960. I also see now why the women's movement was such a big deal.
Huma
Jan 02, 2009 Huma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: perry-mason, e-book
I started reading it on my computer while updating my mobile software, but continued to read till 3 am in the night. Very interesting book. Mason rocks, as usual.
Felicia
Oct 20, 2015 Felicia rated it really liked it
Kind of silly premise, but still a good read.
Rijo John
Aug 29, 2013 Rijo John rated it liked it
Good mystery, enough to keep us engrossed.
Somyajeet
May 29, 2013 Somyajeet rated it liked it
"Ah! No courtroom drama this time."
Cheryl
Jul 30, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, procedural, 2012
Fun
Lungisani Dlamini
Lungisani Dlamini rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
NEMICHAND JAIN
NEMICHAND JAIN marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
NEERAJ BHATNAGAR
NEERAJ BHATNAGAR rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Danny
Danny rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Claire
Claire added it
Jun 24, 2016
  • The Penguin Pool Murder (Hildegarde Withers #1)
  • Not Quite Dead Enough (Nero Wolfe, #10)
  • Killer's Wedge
  • Cat Of Many Tails
  • Home Sweet Homicide
  • The Man Who Tried to Get Away
  • The Emperor's Snuff-Box
  • A Silent Witness
  • The Bloodied Ivy

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason Mystery)