Die Judenbuche

Die Judenbuche

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,106 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Der 1842 erschienenen Novelle Die Judenbuche von Annette von Droste-Hülshoff liegt eine wahre Begebenheit zugrunde. Es ist die Geschichte des aus verarmten Verhältnissen stammenden Friedrich Mergel, dessen Mord an dem Juden Aaron erst Jahrzehnte nach der Tat aufgedeckt werden kann. Das große Interesse an Annette von Droste-Hülshoffs bekanntester Erzählung hat nicht nur mit...more
Mass Market Paperback, 71 pages
Published January 31st 1992 by Reclam (first published 1842)

To ask other readers questions about Die Judenbuche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Judenbuche

The Metamorphosis by Franz KafkaThe Trial by Franz KafkaAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueFaust by Johann Wolfgang von GoethePerfume by Patrick Süskind
Best German/Austrian Literature
100th out of 503 books — 474 voters
Romeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Giver by Lois LowryThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerDamals war es Friedrich by Hans Peter Richter
Books I read for school
39th out of 41 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Vishy
‘The Jews’ Beech’ was recommended by one of my friends. As it was short, I thought I will read it. I also found the writer’s name interesting – she must be the writer with the longest name whose work I have read :) It is about the life and times of a boy called Friedrich Mergel. The story starts in 1738 and ends towards the end of the 18th century. How this boy grows up to become a young man and the experience he goes through and the strange happenings in the village where he lives form the stor...more
Kate
This was one of those novels I had to read for Uni, but which are quoted so often that I always wanted to read it for myself.

It is an easy read, I can understand why most german schools read this in class 9 or so. The crimestory is easy, also, it really happened. But the author made up a story about what happened before the murder and after the murder, so it's quite inetresting for the kids to divides reality from fiction.
ALso, thanks to the work with light and dark and with Nature, it is a good...more
Wendel
Interesting novella that will keep you occupied for some time after finishing it. This is gothic horror, but it goes deeper than usual in the genre.

Droste-Hülshoff places an old case of murder and suicide in a social and psychological context. We learn about the background of the presumed murderer Friedrich (drunk and violent father, pious humiliated mother, cruel village children, isolation, superstition), next his escape in petty criminality and development of a kind of split personality (his...more
inga
I read this in school and, surprisngly enough, nobody but me liked it--which might be attributed to the fact that we were forced to read it by our teacher. But I liked the story, and what it tells us. The creepy, chilling atmosphere is well done, and I bet it was considered bold and exotic when it got published (late 18th century).

It's pretty short but still intriguing. My Mom told me she had to read this in school as well when she was my age, and she said she only remembered that she thought it...more
Branden
i didn't hate this. i actually thought it was quite moving in parts, but i'm also apparently a sucker for literature about small paranoid rural villages in the 18th and 19th centuries. i thought the translation was a serious slog. i wish i had a class or reading group to discuss this with, as i am eager to understand all the hidden meanings and wisdoms everyone keeps talking about.

update from a little later:

after reading around a bit online, i feel like this book actually might have been AMAZING...more
Danielle Schwendener
Die Handlung kommt etwas hölzern daher, dafür ist die Sprache auf eine faszinierende Art poetisch, die komplexen Schachtelsätze ungewöhnlich reichhaltig. Durch die Beschreibungen der Verbrechensuntersuchung wird dem Leser ein seltener Einblick in die Kriminalistik des 18. Jahrhunderts gewährt.
Sue
First published in 1842 the book tells the story of a murder. Lots of minute detail - although only 80 pages- and a brilliant depiction of the author's homeland - Germany. She was one of Germany's most distinguished poets and the writing reflects this.
Aline Fassbind
I read the book "Judenbuche" in German in my Language Art class in Switzerland. It was very challenging to read but when we later discussed it in class. It was full of wisdoms, hidden meanings and metaphors. An excellent and unique book.
Amy
I read the English translation by Lillie Winter. It was a page turner, but I was disappointed at the end because I still didn't really know what had happened. It makes more sense to me as a crime mystery than a gothic/horror novel.
Ashley Cox
Well, suffice to say, it was a rather ... different novella. It very much contained a murder mystery/gothic-esque feel about it and alas, by the end, the reader is still left with many questions unanswered ...
Dennis
Ein Krimi am Vorabend der Revolution - nebenbei wird auch noch Antisemitismus behandelt. Gefällt mir!
Sabine
Feb 25, 2009 Sabine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Annette von Droste-Hülshoff is the Lady on the 20 DM (Deutsche Mark - former currency in Germany) bill.
Natascha
I have in been to the play, in Bökendorf, Niedersachsen
Eva
depicts antisemitism before Hitler in a frightening way
Jamie
Kriminalgeschichte, Antisemitismus, offene Endung...
Michelle
Typical school-literature and not very interesting.
Kevin
This is my favorite German Novella. I lived in the area Droste-Hülshoff was from and wrote about.
Jenny
Jenny added it
Sep 19, 2014
Greg Ferguson
Greg Ferguson is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
LauraRiesco
LauraRiesco marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Benjamin Martin
Benjamin Martin marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
  • Der Schimmelreiter
  • Kleider machen Leute
  • Der zerbrochne Krug
  • Götz von Berlichingen
  • Irrungen, Wirrungen
  • Deutschland, ein Wintermärchen
  • Der Untertan (Das Kaiserreich, #1)
  • Aus dem Leben eines Taugenichts
  • Geschichten aus dem Wiener Wald
  • Malina
  • Heldenplatz
  • Biedermann und die Brandstifter
Annette von Droste-Hülshoff was a 19th-century German writer and composer. She was one of the most important German poets and author of the novella Die Judenbuche.
More about Annette von Droste-Hülshoff...
Die Judenbuche / Ausgewählte Gedichte Sämtliche Gedichte Gedichte (Die Ausgabe von 1844) (German Edition) Ledwina Novellen und Erzählungen: Erweiterte Ausgabe (German Edition)