Start by marking “The Little Brute Family” as Want to Read:
The Little Brute Family

The Little Brute Family

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  35 reviews
They eat sand and gravel for breakfast and a stew of sticks and stones for dinner. No one says “please” or “thank you.” Instead, they kick and yell and punch and shove. Then one day everything changes, when Baby Brute happens upon “a little wandering lost good feeling in a field of daisies.” When he brings it home in his pocket, nothing is ever the same for the little Brut ...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Square Fish (first published September 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Brute Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Brute Family

Frances
Unlike the Little Brute Family, I am cursed. This curse has been passed down through generation after generation of my subservient ancestors. Being helpful, kind, generous, polite, loving, gracious, demure, agreeable, and overall "proper" is a burden I must bear. Like it or not. It cannot be turned off, burned off, or cut out. It is a birthmark. I have passed this curse on to my children, and it will be passed on to theirs. That is important.

Like the littlest Brute, I have carried the goodness i
Cheryl
Oh! I remember this from my childhood! I loved it. Must read it again. Must read more Hoban, period....
Christian
I think it is cool how they are all mean and brutes in the beginning....and then the little baby brute finds this little thing and it helps their family to grow nice. And when summer comes they become a nice family!

Vivian
Our story time themes for this six-week cycle are inspired by events which occur in C.S. Lewis's children's novel The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Each week we quickly review the story by having the children "build a big house" (make a peaked roof by putting their hands together over their heads), "make rain" (raise arms high above head and then wiggle fingers while lowering arms), "play hide & seek" (cover eyes with both hands and count quickly to ten and then say "Ready or not, here ...more
Elizabeth Jay
This book was read to me as a child countless times! I LOVE this book. I am so glad that I was able to find my copy and share it with my children. The illustrations are great and the slight sarcasm makes my family laugh. So many childhood memories!
Emerson
The memories came gushing back when I read this book about the brute family. This is a book I read as a child. Emerson I read it today and it surprisingly held his attention. It is categorized as an easy reader: the book for older children who are learning how to read on their own. But the pictures and the story are good enough that Emerson followed along.
The brutes are a horrible family living in the woods without any happiness until one day baby finds some sunshine in the meadow and brings it
HeavyReader
Oh man, The Little Brute Family. I hadn't thought of this book in at least twenty-five years. I just happened across it on the list of the Best Children's Books Most People Haven't Heard Of

I loved those little brutes!

I think this book is supposed to teach kids that life is more pleasant when we are all kind and gentle with each other.

I would LOVE to read this book again.
Heidi
These pictures are adorable. I was OK with the story, because I wasn't quite sure where it was going But when Baby Brute found the lost good feeling, I liked it much more. What a happy way to end. And even a good behavior book if you want to use it so.
Deborah
I am a huge, huge fan of the Frances books. Frances is a fabulous character who is handled with a gentle wit. But this book is all message and doesn't have the subtleness of Hoban's other books. I was disappointed.
Julie
How did I miss this one until now? Wow. This is right up there with the Frances books, and my other favorite, Charlie the Tramp. Funny, sweet, and excellent to read aloud. Love love love it.
Marianne Meyers
One of my absolute favorite children's books of all time. I could take it out enough from the library as a child. I keep a copy by my bedside table, I still love it.
Connie
This was my favorite picture book when I was a kid. I made my dad read it to me over and over again. Perhaps because it so closely resembled our own family?
Sara
This is the most amazing and wonderful little book. It is perfect for the 3-4 year old range. I would recommend it for kids and nostalgic adults alike.
Roseann
THis was MY FAVE book as a child and I must have read it a thousand times. Nothing quite like a good feeling to make a big difference in life! : )
Judy
Aug 22, 2009 Judy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: families with little kids
Shelves: children
We love this little book. It's such a sweet story of a brutish little family that encounters a wandering lost good feeling.
Meadow
This book is a huge hit in our house (thanks, Noel!). Sometimes we go and look for a wandering happy feeling. Sometimes it works.
Beth Spencer
At the beginning they were bad and mean and grumpy and maddy. Then they were nicey wicey micey ticey gicey. :)
Shirleen
Cute story of a mean family with a happy ending when baby Brute finds a surprise in a field of daisies.
babyhippoface
I realize this is kind of a goofy one, but I have a soft spot for that "little wandering lost good feeling."
Pam
A family of brutes learns about the value of niceties. Check out the expressions on their faces!
Euroca
We love this book from Rich's childhood. It is a great example of how attitude changes everything.
Kayli
This book is so cute and funny and sweet. My kids laughed and I just thought it was great.
Sherry
This could be the story of my family--if only I could get get them to stop eating rocks.
Kristen
I love, love this book. I want my family to find a little wandering good feeling, too.
Christina
I still have this book from when I was a kid. I can`t believe its on here !!!
Analee
Very cute story. I pull this one out when we start living like this family.
Becky
A mean family turns nice. I've read this since I was little.
Marianne Davis
This book is a must have for all kids. It has such a good message.
Kari
We really liked this small book that had a nice lesson to teach.
  • Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm
  • A Hole is to Dig
  • Anatole (Anatole #1)
  • Tallulah's Tutu
  • Dinosaur Bob and His Adventures with the Family Lazardo
  • Ride, Fly Guy, Ride! (Fly Guy, #11)
  • Yoko
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Frog And Toad Book Set: Frog And Toad Are Friends; Frog And Toad Together; Days With Frog And Toad; Frog And Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-4)
  • Would You Rather...
  • The Big Wet Balloon: Toon Books Level 2
  • Chester's Way
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Bright Island
Bread and Jam for Frances Bedtime for Frances A Bargain for Frances Riddley Walker A Baby Sister for Frances