Start by marking “Holy Warrior: A Novel of Robin Hood” as Want to Read:
Holy Warrior: A Novel of Robin Hood

Holy Warrior: A Novel of Robin Hood (The Outlaw Chronicles #2)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  855 ratings  ·  69 reviews
After the events of Outlaw, Robin of Locksley—and his sidekick and narrator, Alan Dale—finds himself in a very different England and a very changed world.

In 1190 A.D. Richard the Lionheart, the new King of England, has launched his epic crusade to seize Jerusalem from the Saracens. Marching with the vast royal army is Britain’s most famous, most feared, most ferocious warr
Published August 2nd 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Warrior

Paul Bennett
Robin Hood, Robin Hood
Riding through the glen.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood
With his band of men.
Feared by the bad, loved by the good.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood.

(lyrics written by American composer Carl Sigman.)

Oh that catchy tune from the old Robin Hood TV show starring Richard Greene. That was the Robin Hood I grew up with. That is not the Robin Hood of this magnificent series by Angus Donald. In this, the second book, Holy Warrior, we find Robin and his merry men as part of King Richard's ret
Donald's follow up to OUTLAW is not as good, but still entertaining if you're into medieval history and care enough about the Crusades to slough through endless scenes of violence and mayhem. Unlike OUTLAW, HOLY WARRIOR does little to offset the blood and carnage, with scant character development and more time placed on history or detailed battle recounts than the characters themselves. As a result, there is virtually no tension in the book, or drive to keep reading. The central mystery of who m ...more
Aproximación interesante al mito, en la que el legendario Robin Hood no sólo tiene más de humano que de leyenda, sino que se nos revela como un personaje completamente terrenal y a menudo falto de escrúpulos. La narración desde el punto de vista de uno de sus hombres hace que el propio Robin no sea por completo protagonista de la saga, pero Allan es lo suficientemente interesante por sí mismo como personaje como para que el lector no se resienta de este hecho.

En esta segunda entrega, como el pro
Mr. Matt
Holy Warrior continues the gritty re-telling of Robin Hood's life and adventures - all the way to the Holy Land and the Third Crusade.

This is most definitely not Walt Disney's version of Robin Hood. Robin is a cruel, selfish man who fosters a populist image because it suits his purposes. He couldn't give a damn about the people. "... the monstrous Earl of Locksley." Enough said. And here's the thing: I like this Robin and this story. It is dirty, gritty and messy. Much like I imagine the 12th c
José Luis

Siguen las aventuras de Robin Hood, ahora de camino a Jerusalén para intentar recuperar esta ciudad en manos de Saladino. Entretenido, fácil de leer, pero a la vez una historia un tanto simplona y plana. Si decía que al primero de la trilogía le faltaba algo aquí vuelve a haber más de lo mismo. No es una historia redonda, supongo que esperaba más épica, más batalla, pero no, no lo hay, de hecho lo que más me gustó de este libro es todo lo que cuentan a Ala
The sequel to Outlaw is as thrilling as the first, fast paced, violent, in parts horrifying, eventful and erotic.
The novel takes off from when Robin (the ruthless godfather of Sherwood Forest) and his band are pardoned by King Richard and dispatched to go on the crusade to free the Holy Land from the Saracens.
This Robin Hood is far removed from the traditional altruist in green, robbing from the rich to give to the poor. He is ruthless, vengeful, self-serving, and cynical.
But he has his own code
Aydin Turgay
I didn't like it AS much as the first book in the series, but it was still VERY enjoyable.

It felt like a great road movie, with the entire story telling Robin and King Richard's journey to Jerusalem during the Crusades.

Like the first book, it was well-narrated. It was easy to follow, and moved very quickly. There was lots of action, along with loss and sadness. The action is cinematic, and at times, very descriptive in its gore.

The author is very good at creating sympathetic, likeable characters
Scott Vout
Book two in the series.

This series is about Robin Hood. But not your fathers Robin Hood.

This guy steals from the rich and mostly gives to himself. It is a very very dark rendition of the old folk hero of yon as told by Alan Dale, one of the merry men as it were.

In this continuing saga our intrepid hero goes off with King Richard to fight the Holy War or Crusades as some would know it.

A tale inside a tale. I actually took a few minutes and did some research on the Crusades and what do you know, M
Kerry Hennigan
The second in a multi-volume series based around the legendary outlaw Robin Hood and the historical characters of Richard the Lionheart (King Richard 1) and others, Holy Warrior takes the reader from England to Sicily to the Holy Land on crusade.

Narrator Alan Dale tells the story from the perspective of an old man recalling the adventures of his youth. He accompanies Robin of Locksley on the great pilgrimage with King Richard to regain Jerusalem from the mighty Saladin and his army of Islam.

Duncan Wilson
a brilliant sequel to OUTLAW! whilst i would have liked to have spent more time in sherwood forest this takes us to the crusades. robin being part of the crusades has certainly played a part on recent interpretarions and this has the same great mix of exhillaration and historical sequences as its predecessor.
there are four main set pices the siege of jews in york, the sacking of Messina (sicily), the cold blooded execution of 2,700 Muslim prisoners of war in Acre and the battle of Arsuf in 1191
Lu Newman
The second book of The Outlaw Chronicles fails to disappoint.

It is 1190 AD and King Richard the Lion Heart has launched his epic crusade to seize Jerusalem from the cruel Saracens. Marching along side the King himself is The Earl of Locksley otherwise known as the notorious outlaw Robin Hood, with his ever loyal band of men. One off them of course, is our narrator, musician and acclaimed Trouvere, Alan of Dale.

Alan follows his master on this epic journey which involves him finding his first lo
Paul Cookson
Another rollicking good tale of Robin Hood. This time we follow Robin aka Robert Odo aka The Earl of Locksley to the third crusades and we are treated to epic battles, drama, romance, intrigue, murder and mystery. Again the story is told by Alan Dale the minstrel (expertly played by the cockerel in the Disney version) and it is really his story being recounted by Alan as an old man.

From following the author I understand that there will be seven books in total in the series (book 7 is being writt
Lanie Sanders
Yippee for a wonderful book 2! Blood, guts, a great human non-perfect main character, & of course Robin Hood = my kinda book! :D Top marks to Mr. Angus Donald for such awesome storytelling, graphic violence, interesting characters both "good" and "bad", & historical accuracy. Some writers just can't pull it off, but he sure did.

I actually wrote an essay about King Richard the Lionheart and his leadership of the 3rd for my final research paper is high school. I loved the topic and I did a
Angus Donald is by far my favorite author at the moment. While may sequels suffer from second-book-syndrome this one doesn't in the slightest.

In the sequel to Outlaw, the reader finds themselves going on the crusades. Robin of Locksley is no longer an outlaw, but a warrior, ready to reclaim the holy land for the Christian people. Well Robin will always be ruthless and a man who spits on religion and an outlaw at heart, so the book follows a rogue masquerading as a holy, law-abiding citizen beca
Nick Brett
I approached this follow up to the excellent "Outlaw" with a degree of trepidation. It had been a while since I had enjoyed Outlaw and I was worried that I might have forgotten where the story left off and it might be hard to get back into, especially with the recent Robin Hood film helping to confuse with another re-imagining of the story.

But I needn't have worried as I was swept straight into the story without the need for a re-cap. Holy Warrior is (like Outlaw) told from the perspective of th
This gritty and authentic follow-up to OUTLAW continues the story of Robin Hood's adventures as this time he joins Richard the Lionheart's adventures in the Middle East in an attempt to wrest the Holy Land from Saladin's clutches.

Angus Donald will quickly become one of my favourite authors if he can continue the quality in the next book in his series.

Instead of following the original story's template with more men-in-the-woods adventures, HOLY WARRIOR paints a wider picture as it recreates some
Ahhh, I do love this series. If you're not familiar, these books are another rendition of the Robin Hood legend. Granted, there have been a lot of renditions, most of them not so great. If it hadn't been for the recommendation of a friend, I likely would never have picked up the first book, Outlaw. Once I did, though, it was game over. I was smitten.

Like the first installment, Holy Warrior is told by Alan Dale, close confident of the Earl of Locksley (Robin Hood, duh) and picks up right where th
Apr 07, 2012 Karyl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Karyl by: Simon
Alan Dale returns to the printed page as a member of Robin Hood's band of loyal men -- except now Robin is a more respectable member of society, having been raised to the Earl of Locksley. Alan himself has a manor at Westbury, quite a step up from a former cutpurse. The book starts out in England, a few years after the end of Outlaw, and chronicles not only the massacre of Jews in York in 1190, but also the Third Crusade to the Holy Land. It's an interesting look at this extremely tumultuous tim ...more
This is the second book in the series and yes, you do have to read them in order. I picked up the first book a few years ago and loved it, this was no different. We continue following Alan Dale and his master, Robin Odo (Robin Hood) as they keep a promise that Robin made to go to the Holy Land and recapture Jerusalem from Saladin. There are plots to assassinate Robin, kill Alan, and destroy the King's position, although he can do that all on his own anyway.

While not for the faint of heart, this
Simon Turney
The second novel in Angus' superb Outlaw series takes a slightly different direction from the first. While Outlaw drew on the traditional legends of Robin Hood and used them to create a new tale in a very realistic environment, the feel was clearly still a Robin in Sherwood one, for all its grit and realism. Holy Warrior is entirely different, and this to me is the making of the book. It would have been easy enough for the author to revisit the old territory for a sequel, but I think such would ...more
Angus Donald is a great story teller. Most readers will know this from reading the first in his epic historical retelling of the legend of Robin Hood but in Holy Warrior he completely shows off his talent in a fantastic way by taking the man who is both hot and cold away from the forests of Sherwood on the epic voyage and journey with Richard the Lionheart on his holy pilgrimage. Told through the innocent eyes of Alan A'Dale as they encounter foreign enemies, enemies within their own camp, assas ...more
A powerful, provocative and thought-provoking read, this is the second installment in Angus Donald's re-interpretation of the Robin Hood myth.

Even though you are prepared for this not being your usual Robin Hood story, Angus Donald still keeps you gripped and surprises you at nearly every turn. Mainly, I'd say, because like the first in the series, 'Outlaw', whilst of course headlined as a Robin Hood story, it was in reality more about the tale of Alan Dale, than of Robin Hood.

'Holy Warrior' is
Robin Carter
I have always been a fan of Robin Hood, i suppose it has something to do with being named after him and then eventually ending up living in the back yard of the exploits of the Man/ Myth.

When this series started it was with a part groan part apprehension that i picked it up, so many times i have read the tale and its been awful prancing Nancy's in tights, and then there are the movies, inc the recent Russell "where the hell is that accent from" Crowe version.

But All of that gets thrown to the wi
An okay read. Not particularly riveting, feeling more like a tale you'd get from a television documentary rather than a compulsive read.
That's not to say it's a BAD book, by any means. It's well-written, historically detailed and fairly evocative, it just doesn't really stick in your mind all that much.

The edition I read was also riddled with bad spelling, random weird words - ie 'for' instead of 'of', 'were' instead of 'we' - which I later found out was due to the book not having been edited pr
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘It is simply a matter of loyalty.’

This is the second novel in a projected five part series called the Outlaw Chronicles: about the legendary Robin Hood and his band of outlaws. The story is told from the perspective of Alan Dale, a troubadour and warrior, a member of the band, who is now nearing the end of his life.
In this novel, Robin and his band, (including Alan) are preparing to join King Richard I as part of the Third Crusade which will attempt to retake the Holy Land from Saladin. As the
I bought Holy Warrior purely because I had read the previous book in the series - Outlaw, while I enjoyed Outlaw it wasn't brilliant and I wasn't expecting a huge amount from the sequel. I was pleasantly suprised to find Holy Warrior an improvement on the first book. The pace is much faster this time with more battle scenes and suspense.
The lead character - as before telling the story in flashback as an old man - is more engaging this time around and his story is heart-rending in places - mainl
Found the second book even better than the first. This is not normally the type of book i would read, read the first book, outlaw from recommendation and now i find i am recommending this series to others. I love reading about Alan Dale and his adventures with Robin. Now onto third book...the kings man.
Book Wormy
The author has put his fictional characters Robin Hood and the gang into the real story of the Third Crusade.

An interesting take that teaches you more about what happened on crusade and the blood thirstyness of the Christian crusaders.

No-one comes out of it looking heroic or good.
Ivor Armistead
Second book in the series is a decided improvement over the first. I will read on. It is interesting and provocative to see Robin Hood shown in a very different light. And, Alan Dale, the narrator, is developing as a complex character of great compassion and growing wisdom.
Laurie Pringle
Really enjoying Angus Donald's story-telling. Even considering holding off on Diana Gabaldon's 8th book to finish this series. I quite enjoy seeing a more flawed Robin Hood and Alan's struggles between his sense of right and wrong vs. his loyalty to Robin.

Great read for people who enjoy the RH myth and who enjoy some historical reference in their reading enjoyment.
  • The White Raven (Oathsworn, #3)
  • Hereward (Hereward #1)
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • Sons of Thunder (Raven #2)
  • Hero of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #1)
  • Arrows of Fury (Empire, #2)
  • Wolf's Head (The Forest Lord, #1)
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • The Blood Crows (Eagle, #12)
  • The Gods of War (Republic, #3)
  • Tyrant: Storm of Arrows (Tyrant, #2)
  • Crusade (Brethren Trilogy, #2)
  • Shieldwall (Conquest Trilogy, #1)
  • Hawk Quest

The Outlaw Chronicles (7 books)
  • Outlaw (The Outlaw Chronicles, #1)
  • King's Man (The Outlaw Chronicles, #3)
  • Warlord  (The Outlaw Chronicles, #4)
  • Grail Knight (The Outlaw Chronicles # 5)
  • The Iron Castle (Outlaw Chronicles # 6)
  • The King's Assassin (The Outlaw Chronicles, #7)
Outlaw (The Outlaw Chronicles, #1) King's Man (The Outlaw Chronicles, #3) Warlord  (The Outlaw Chronicles, #4) Grail Knight (The Outlaw Chronicles # 5) The Iron Castle (Outlaw Chronicles # 6)