Start by marking “Homespun Sarah” as Want to Read:
Homespun Sarah

Homespun Sarah

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  60 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Sarah's life in Colonial Pennsylvania is anything but easy. She and her family have to grow, raise, and make everything they need-including their clothes. The time and effort that takes means that nothing is replaced until it's absolutely necessary. As Sarah helps plant flax and raise sheep throughout the year, her one dress gets tighter and tighter. But in the nick of tim ...more
Published April 14th 2003 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Homespun Sarah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homespun Sarah

RPBYS
Aug 18, 2010 RPBYS rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Verla Kay. Tight rhyming verses paired with evocative, homey watercolor illustrations. Adults can use the author's note in the beginning as an extension activity to talk to children/students about "the olden days." (Not owned by RPB; put on hold.)
Kathryn
Apr 15, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I love how Kay subverts sentence structure, often switching the predicate and subject, and that though fragmented, each sentence has distinct meaning. She also almost always flips the tag by putting the speaker tag before the dialogue, which I love because it goes against everything you're taught about creative writing. She breaks every rule, but she does it so well you don't even notice (unless you're looking for it).
Rebecca
Sep 03, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Spare rhyming words and active watercolors by Ted Rand tell the story of a young girl's day on a 1700s Pennsylvania farm. There is a lot more here than you may initially realize, especially if you read the Author's Note at the beginning. This is a straightforward look at the hard work of farm life and survival in pioneer days.
Dolly
Jun 25, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun and educational story about life in the 1700s in early colonial times. The rhyming narrative and colorful illustrations depict the various facets of day-to-day life and the difficulties experienced by early settlers. I like that the story of the young girl outgrowing the one dress she has is woven throughout the tale we really liked the ending. Our youngest could emphathize with the younger sister getting hand-me-downs from her older sister. We found this book at our local library ...more
Melissa
Feb 25, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I love Ted Rand, the illustrator, and I can't believe the author made the whole thing rhyme! I learned something and had fun reading it aloud. A great book!
Shannon
Sep 17, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing
This was my 6 year old's favorite of the books we read about Colonial America. I love how it showed how much work goes into creating a new dress.
Shawna
Nov 30, 2007 Shawna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 2nd-5th grade
This book that gives the chilren a fairly accurate depiction of what living in the the West was like could be used in so many ways. You could use it with any Social Studies unit as a poetry extension or a short way to show how hard it was to live and take care of the farms. It could used along with Traveling trunks and the National Park Trunks you could also use it in conjuntion with a lesson on how working hard and the benefits of it (the dress).
Robin Rousu
Dec 27, 2014 Robin Rousu rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite historical fiction picture books. Simple and delightful, without glossing things over too much. Lively watercolors by Rand add a lot of character and period detail. Highly recommended for ages 4-7.
Amy!
Aug 22, 2012 Amy! rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My review here.
Melanie
Aug 05, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Loved the poetry and the illustrations in this story about a pioneer girl.
Courtney Bemiller
Sep 05, 2012 Courtney Bemiller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, poetry
Very good descriptions of Pioneers and their lifestyle
Lorena
Feb 28, 2013 Lorena rated it really liked it
I like the verse. It's very simple.
Katie
poem, rhyme, flowing good word choice
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Lisa Hutton
Lisa Hutton rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Anajoy-rusticgirl
Anajoy-rusticgirl rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
William
William rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Tiff1979
Tiff1979 marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Nicole Kranzler-gacke
Nicole Kranzler-gacke marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Bthrifty
Bthrifty rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2015
Maija
Maija rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Mommyhungry
Mommyhungry rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Dacotah
Dacotah rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015