Survivors (Aftertime, #1.5)

Survivors (Aftertime #1.5)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  40 reviews
DOING RIGHT ISN'T EASY IN A WORLD GONE SO WRONG

Cass Dollar outlasted the fall of civilization. But surviving Aftertime requires the kind of toughness that can conquer the violent landscape of California and still retain its humanity.

When a young boy and his dying grandmother are brought to the Box, the survivalist community where Cass takes shelter, she realizes that witho...more
Published July 5th 2011 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Survivors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Survivors

Wendy Darling
A few things to note about this short novella: (some spoilers below)

* It takes place 1 month after the events of Aftertime.
* It follows the same story arc with fairly slow events followed by a dramatic climax.
* There are two new important characters that show up: a young boy and his dying grandmother.
* Cass still does not speak to her long-lost daughter at all, except once near the end when we're told "Ruthie's name on her lips"
* A zombie attack results in only a brief thought of Ruthie (see ab...more
AH
Free download - Harlequin 7/5/11

Very short story that takes place about a month after the events of the first book Aftertime. There are more details about the Box, and area where survivors have congregated. This story introduces the character Feo, a 9 year old boy.

Short and sweet.
Darcy
This was a great story that showed the differences between Before and after and gave us a slice of life from the box. What I really like from this series is how people make new families out of the ashes to help bring them comfort.
Regina
I love this series. This is a very short story which comes after Aftertime but before Rebirth.
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Life in the Box is about the safest place one can go in this Aftertime world. The guards constantly patrol to keep the Beaters away and the residents safe no matter how temporary their stay may be. Raiders bring in new and various supplies nightly. Dor sets the rules and people survive due to them. One of his rules is no children. He has made an exception with Cass’s daughter Ruthie. They’re with Smoke, and Smoke is his right hand man. One of the nightly raids brings a child and his dying grand...more
Erin
I realized before I read this novella that it was taking place between two regular sized novels which I have not read. Despite that, I felt like there was enough detail that I could figure out what was going on.

This was a free kindle download and from the description it sounded a lot like Dies the Fire (Emberverse series) by S.M. Stirling which I really like. If the novella is any indication of what the larger series is like, readers who like one will have a good chance of enjoying the other. B...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
This is just a short little novella that takes place between AFTERTIME—March 2011 and REBIRTH—August 2011. According to this novella, HORIZON—February 2012 will be the next book in this series.

For Cass Dollar, she has the dubious distinction of being one of the only people ever to survive an attack by a zombie. She was bitten and infected, and yet healed by some genetic crapshot. She and her 3 year old daughter Ruthie, now share a tent with Smoke in the area called the Box after she took on the...more
Ana Mardoll
Survivors / 9781459207769

This is an interesting short story -- only about 30 pages long on my reader -- but it's one of those stories where I felt the whole time that there was another book before the story that I needed to read in order to sink into this one. I notice that the author has a trilogy set in this world (Aftertime, Rebirth, and Horizon), so I almost wonder if it wouldn't be better to read one or more of those first.

"Survivors" is a zombie apocalypse novella, which I usually enjoy, b...more
Yesterday, as I was stealing grabbing a cover pic from GoodReads for my Rebirth review post, I discovered Sophie Littlefield wrote a novella between Aftertime and Rebirth entitled Survivors (Aftertime #1.5). Naturally I scooped it up on my Kindle and gave it a read!

If you have read (or plan on reading) Aftertime, read Survivors before moving on to Rebirth. I wish I had! The second book Rebirth takes places a couple of years after Aftertime. Survivors, however, gives you insight into how life was...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
This novella gives us a glimpse of life in the Box between the events of Aftertime and Rebirth. It's very short... less than 30 pages, but it manages to maintain the feel of the full length books.

The story begins with the arrival of a young boy and his grandmother to the Box. The old woman is dying and the boy, Feo, has no one. Cass and Smoke open their tent to him for the night, while Dor decides whether the child can stay. At first Cass fantasizes a little that Feo will join her family with Sm...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
I absolutely loved AFTERTIME, so I was really looking forward to reading this novella. It takes place a month after Cass and Smoke first arrive in the Box, and before the events of REBIRTH.

Cass, Smoke and Ruthie have settled in the Box and live a relatively peaceful life. Until a young boy and his dying grandmother arrive, and suddenly, Dor--the leader/founder of this community--has to make a decision of whether to enforce the 'no kids' rule.

It's a very short novella, but still captures the esse...more
Cheryl
Several elements of the Aftertime series by Sophie Littlefield elevate the books far above standard dystopian/post-apocalyptic literature:[return][return]1. Beautiful, gorgeous, lyrical prose[return]2. Interesting, complex, complicated three dimensional characters[return]3. Plausible, unique setting -- bio terrorism has ended the world as we know it and created "Beaters" (mindless zombie-like creatures)[return]4. Interesting plot.[return][return]In the short story survivors, recovering alcoholic...more
Katie Kenig
This short little novella is billed as part 1.5 in the Aftertime series. I just finished the first book in the series this week, and this - along with parts two and three - have been sitting on my eReader for a while, just waiting for attention.

It probably won't make sense to you outside of the series, because there is very little explanation given for anything that's going on, but if you're reading the series and are looking for a little extra bite of information, a tiny story arc outside of th...more
Shannon
I had no idea it was part of a series or was a short novella. That's the problem with downloading books. I find random things that sound good then forget about them and later have no clue what it is.
Mara
Unfortunately I did not realize that the story told in this novella was taking place between two other novels which I had not read. Despite that, there was enough detail that I could figure out what was going on.

We are in the future, after a zombie apocalypse, and people live in protected areas. We are shown a day in a camp when two new survivors arrive and the impact they make.
There's not much else going on apart from this :)

A good story, but it didn't hook me in to reading the other novels. (...more
Jennifer Wardrip
I loved this introduction to Cass Dollar's world so much that I immediately went and bought the first book in the series that stars her, AFTERTIME, when I finished this short story. Not your typical zombie fare, but filled with truly interesting characters, dialogue, and a setting called "The Box." I can't wait to learn more about how this situation came to be, what they do about the Beaters (zombies), and how Cass lives her life. A great, interesting tale that will definitely have you wanting t...more
rameau
Never thought I'd add that particular shelf (zombies) on my list. They're just not my thing, but this was a well written novella that made me want to read more from the author. And by well-written I don't mean just the grammar and pretty words stringed together that flow just right. I'm talking about a concise story with a plot and point to it. Admittedly the point was to sell more books, but when it works it works.
Kasia Hubbard
This was an interesting short (a mere 28 pages) story that is about a boy and his grandmother who are found outside the Box (a camp of survivors who have not turned into zombies). The boy is quiet, but soon gets the attention of Sam (another survivor), but his future hangs in the balance, as no children are allowed in the Box. Read this to find out his story and see what happens!
David
This is sort of a "B-side" to the Aftertime series... A short story taking place between book one and book two, and it seems to me like something she wrote as part of the initial trilogy and then cut. Lovely prose as usual, and a decent read while I was waiting for book two to come in the mail, but it didn't add anything to my understanding of the characters or their world.
Tserisa
A great little story set after Aftertime which manages in just a few short pages to further flesh out the culture of the post-apocalyptic mini-civilization of The Box. Very little story or action at all, really more of a vignette.
Lis
Very short story about a young boy coming to live in "the box". Only get a quick glance of Cass and Smoke's life after Aftertime. Cass' has turned her love of plants into a hobby. The "Beaters" are getting a little braver and coming around the box to snag travelers. We also get to see a little more of Dor's compassion.
Julia
Read 16% of the book and still couldn't picture what I was actually reading much less get into the book itself... Probably told a good story if I was to have read the Trilogy it was meant to go with...

Has anyone else read the Trilogy An Afterime Novel? Does this book pull it all together or something?
Joseph
Very interesting premise, although a bit cliched given the current trend of post-apocalyptic locales for movies, books, games and the like. The writing was fairly good, although the storyline wasn't enough to make me want to read the next book in the series. Overall, a decent read.
L-D
This short was interesting. But like most shorts, it wasn't quite long enough to really develop any characters. I felt that while it introduced Feo as a new character to the box, there wasn't really any sort of plot and the relationship development was very light as well.
Hannah
This seems really interesting and I believe that I will start to read the series to see if I like it or not, but so far I do. I don't really get into futuristic books, but this one has major appeal to it. Probably has to do with the very science fiction aspect of it as well.
Ashley
I didn't really feel like I should rate this novella, since I haven't read the series that's it's part of. Seems to be a "life during/after the zombie apocalypse" setting. The world seemed interesting enough; I may check out the novels if I ever come across them.
Megan
3.5 Stars. I think this had the potential to be a fantastic book but not as a novella series. If the basic concept had more opportunity to develop, I would have enjoyed it more. I don't think the YA dystopian fiction genre works as short stories.
Nicole
I really enjoyed reading this short story because it opened a whole new world within The Box. I do think that to read this book you should have read Aftertime first because then it will make more sense.
Sabine
Jul 02, 2011 Sabine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books

Download for free. Only today July 1.
Julia
Read on the heels of REBIRTH, it is heartbreaking to get glimpses of the life Cass and Smoke had built for themselves, prior to the painful and tumultuous events to come.
  • The Becoming: Ground Zero (The Becoming, #2)
  • As the World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 1
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 205
  • Sleepers
  • The Walking Dead, Issue #103
  • Dust
  • Monster Planet (Zombies, #3)
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • Dying to Live: Life Sentence (Dying to Live, #2)
  • A Land of Ash
  • Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box
  • Hare Moon (The Forest of Hands and Teeth)
  • If at First . . . (Short Story)
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • After the End
Sophie's first novel, A BAD DAY FOR SORRY (Thomas Dunne/St. Martin's Minotaur, 2009) has been nominated for the Edgar, Macavity, Barry, and Crimespree awards, and won the Anthony Award and the RTBookReviews Reviewers Choice Award for Best First Mystery. Her novel AFTERTIME was a finalist for the Goodreads Choice Horror award.

Sophie is also the author of:
A BAD DAY FOR PRETTY (Minotaur, 2010)
A BAD D...more
More about Sophie Littlefield...
Aftertime (Aftertime, #1) Banished (Banished, #1) Garden of Stones A Bad Day for Sorry (Bad Day, #1) Rebirth (Aftertime, #2)