Start by marking “La chica del lago” as Want to Read:
La chica del lago

La chica del lago

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,130 ratings  ·  170 reviews
«La primera vez que nos conocimos, Jewel Valentine me salvó la vida...»

Sasha tiene 17 años y, afectado por una leucemia en fase terminal, acaba de intentar suicidarse en un lago junto a su casa. Pero una desconocida de ojos inquietantes ha llegado justo a tiempo para impedírselo: se llama Jewel y ella tampoco tiene una vida precisamente fácil. Para empezar, su hermano muri
236 pages
Published April 8th 2011 by Montena (first published August 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about La chica del lago, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La chica del lago

Alexa
Jul 25, 2011 Alexa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

Girl Saves Boy was a quick read told in alternating point of views between Jewel Valentine, a loner girl whose family fell apart after the death of her brother 10 years ago, and Sacha Thomas, a boy who survived childhood cancer and lost his mother only about a year ago. They first meet at the lake where Jewel saves Sacha after he tries to drown himself. After that chance encounter, they start to fall in love.

Throughout the book, it see
Shirley Marr
You may know Steph Bowe as blogger of Hey! Teenager of the Year, which reviews teen fiction with YA related writing, opinion and statement pieces. I love this blog because the posts are always so well written – insightful, thoughtful, critical, fair. So it thrilled me no end to know that Steph Bowe had a book in the pipeline – I wondered what Steph would be capable of given the length and scope of a novel.

Girl Saves Boy is a story about a Girl (Jewel Valentine) and Boy (Sacha Thomas) who meet wh
Good Golly Miss Holly
Aug 21, 2011 Good Golly Miss Holly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone (Okay, maybe not sufferers of Leukemia or girls with dead parents? but yes everyone else)
Thebookbutterfly
'Girl Saves Boy' by Steph Bowe is definitely a book that I have built up ever since I first read Steph's blog and have been longing to read for ages.
And it completely succeeded at all of my expections and more, because I loved that it was not exactly what I was expecting out of Steph Bowe, and was more heartfelt than I really thought possible for a YA book.
The book basically revovles around four characters--Jewel, True, Sacha, and Little Al. (Don't you love their names? Points to Steph Bowe for
Nomes
3 - 3.5 stars (I liked it)

Girl Saves Boy has a unique flavour to add to the YA scene. With it's quirky and off-beat vibe it's an intelligent novel that manages to convey hope among devastation and silliness alongside mourning.

The story is told from Sacha's POV and Jewel's POV.

The narrative isn't always linear in a sense of plot moving forward with scenes. It's got anecdotes and a running internal narrative of thoughts on life and death and the world in general. You know how sometimes you're thin
Steph Su
Fully of quirky, ambiguous characters and insightful moments, GIRL SAVES BOY, teen author Steph Bowe’s debut novel, is one of those books about which I’m not sure how to feel. It has its moments, but also has the inconsistences and leaps that mark it as the work of a young author.

Good things first: GIRL SAVES BOY contains the occasional passages that are so beautiful they’ll inspire you to buy a copy of this book, highlight those passages, and go back to them when you want to reread moments of i
Mel
“La mayoría de las veces no entiendo nada. Por no entender, no me entiendo ni a mí mismo.”

Este libro es precioso. Aunque la historia es dura por el tema que tiene, la autora hizo que se formara algo más llevadero y bonito. Lo que más me llamó la atención son las frases, me encantan y me sentí identificada con la mayoría de ellas: cuando Jewel se describe, por ejemplo.

Sacha Thomas tiene una vida complicada: su madre, la pareja de su padre, su enfermedad. Y es por eso que decide ir al lago y ac
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
some books make me cry, some depressed, some makes me laugh and then the ones that make me hope. girl saves boy is of the last kind. you wouldn't think it, what with a girl who lives like she's dead, a boy who's dying and dead mother, brother, father, with memories, but stephen bowe makes it happen. she ends the story and leaves you in a wake of flitting hummingbirds of feels, each more mellow and melodious than the last. or maybe it's really just me.

girl saves boy is written with a vague sort o
Sam Valladolid
4/5
"Yo reí a pesar de lo mal que iba todo. A veces reír es lo único que se puede hacer."

¿Que puedo decir? Este libro me enamoró en cada pagina, cada personaje, cada palabra.

Si tengo que describir este libro en tan solo una palabra sería: melancólico.

Me pareció que toda la historia estaba rodeada de una atmósfera melancólica, incluso los momentos mas felices me parecían un tanto ...tristes.

Moría por ponerle 5 estrellas pero hubo algunas cosas que me molestaron.
El romance me gusto demasiado, fue
Erin
I wanted to read this book for the purpose of it being written by an Australian sixteen-year-old girl. As an aspiring author myself, I thought it would be interesting to see another young person’s writing and especially since it was published into a REAL and ACTUAL book. I won’t go into too much detail about GIRL SAVES BOY since some of you haven’t had the opportunity to read it yet. Overall, I found it a ‘good’ attempt on the storyline and on the character developments, but unfortunately it jus ...more
Sofia
The Spanish title made me think that the book was about something else, but it was obviously a mistake, the title in Spanish practically tells you the boy saves her but then when I read the English title I thought Oh My God, this isn't what I thought. So I bought it.
Girl Saves Boy is a novel about two Australian teenagers, written by an Australian author too, they both have problems, lots but they're teens struggling day a day.
It was a really nice reading book, it took me about 3 hours to read i
Deborah Abela
It’s not only the fact that Steph Bowe is 16 that makes this book so arresting. From the heart-aching words of the prologue to the quiet musings of two teenagers on a beach at the end facing an impossibly unfair future, this book is a rare treat of gentle quiet, big-hearted sweetness and great slabs of uncomfortable truths. Ten years ago something happened to Jewel Valentine’s family that tore them apart. She was sent to live with her grandparents while her parents’ lives crumbled. Now that her ...more
Monica
Recuerdo que hace ya bastante tiempo leí que ésta novela era una bonita historia de amor, y eso precisamente no ha sido mi visión general de la obra. Si tuviese que adjetivarla sería COMO UNA OBRA TRISTE, OPACA, ALGO MELANCÓLICA Y EN CONJUNTO, PSICOLÓGICAMENTE INTENSA y CHOCANTE.

El punto de partida que da pie al ésta historia y posterior desarrollo de una ‘relación’ amorosa, es el encuentro de los dos adolescente protagonistas de la obra. Jewel salva la vida a Sacha, rescatándolo de un lago en e
Marla Mei
Ridiculously unbelievable and it felt like the book was trying so hard to be emotional. Good writing though. Two stars for that. It was just the story's execution, I guess.
Madeleine Rex
Apr 01, 2010 Madeleine Rex marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
Can't wait to read this! I'll ship 10 copies over and hand them out! :D
Chiara (delicate eternity)
A copy of this novel was provided by Text Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

So it’s taken a few days for me to gather my thoughts on Girl Saves Boy. Upon writing this review, three things have become abundantly clear:

1. Steph Bowe is incredible. I seriously cannot believe that Girl Saves Boy was published when she was only sixteen. As I read the novel, I was blown away by how wise and astute the characters in this novel were – almost to an unbelievably poignant level. But then to learn
T.J.
Apr 03, 2012 T.J. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this book yet and I'm kind of hesitant to because I take some things way too literal, and the love stories I read, NEED to have a good ending, otherwise it just destroys me.
Yeah, yeah some may think that I'm being too dramatic but, well, it's true. I mean, there's already so many countless sad things in our world, why write a book to escape into if it's just gonna end at a depressing point when we can have that in reality?
I'm not saying depression should be avoided, I'm just sa
Isabella
Este libro me pareció hermoso y profundo, la clase de libros que me encantan. Es algo extraño, porque hubo momentos en los que odie cada palabra que leía, pero no por mala redacción o cosas a si, sino que sentía todos demasiado real, como si fuera yo.
Me parece increíble que haya sido escrito por una chica de 16 años, porque no lo parece, en realidad no me hubiera enterado si no fuera porque me lo dijeron.
Es un libro increíble, pero es de esos que depende mucho de los gustos y la sensibilidad d
Rachel
I really enjoyed this book. This was a book that had been selected for my book club to read and I believe it was a great choice. The book does however explore many different issues throughout the story. Our main character is facing/ faced past and current Cancer. There is a suicide attempt, deaths, overdosing, drug references and sexual references and mentions of bisexual and gay references. Besides the serious tones of this book it had Witt and it had humour. I came a personal likening to both ...more
Sarah Kapsie
Sacha Thomas has a problem or three. He has a terminal disease. His mother is dead. And his father is in a relationship with his art teacher. It is all too much for him. But a boy wanting to drown himself doesn’t know what he is in for when a girl named Jewel Valentine fishes him out.
Jewel? Well she has her own problems, but from the moment this girl saves that boy, life means something different for the pair of them. Something funny and sad and always unexpected, but not too far away from fall
Nicola Marsh
I'm blown away that this book was written by a teenager.
Not because of the language or the way it was written but for the subject matter and the realistic way it is explored.

Sacha has a terminal disease and tries to commit suicide by drowning.
Jewel Valentine saves him.

Along with their friends True and Little Al, they explore a complex range of emotions in a beautiful, poignant, readable way.

I'm thoroughly impressed by Steph Bowe's debut and look forward to reading more from her.
Leah
This is why I love Australian books and authors. This book is so unique and I love all the little quirky bits too. I love the gnomes and the lobster and all the references to Australian lifestyle because I actually get them! (Vegemite, Bunnings, schoolies - Surfers Paradise) Overall, an outstanding book by a great, young Australian author!
Diann Vargas
Había comenzado a leer este libro en la tarde y no me dormí hasta que lo termine, pero... La cosa es que cuando gire la página para continuar con el siguiente capítulo me encontré con las palabras de "Agradecimientos" y no con las de "Capítulo 25". El libro es muy bueno, me gusto mucho, la historia es interesante, pero sin embargo el final esta apagadisimo, hay muchas cosas que quedan inconclusas, ¿que paso con Al y True? (Creo que Al fue mi personaje favorito) y... Sacha, ¿sobrevive o...? Había ...more
Rhianne Conway
So this isn’t my first time reading this book, I read it when it first came out a few years back and loved it then. I love Steph Bowe’s writing style and honestly think she is one of the best YA authors currently. Its quirky, its funny and its covered with just enough pop culture references. There is a small cast of well established characters (my favorite is Little Al, the science nerd who only thinks chemistry and sex apparently).

The downfall of this book and the only reason I am not giving it
Eva Lectura eterna
Me gustó mucho, me sorprendió porque no tenía muchas expectativas y tampoco sabía demasiado de él.

La protagonista no es la típica de los libros juveniles, y tampoco es una "superheroína" ni la persona más fuerte del fuerte, sí es fuerte pero a la vez es débil y tiene sus momentos de flaqueza. Debido a esto me pareció muy real.

Y el protagonista es diferente debido a lo que tuvo que pasar cuando era pequeño, que sí lo pasó mal, peor gracias a esto es más fuerte en el momento en el que transcurre l
Catherine
Well told, but I'm partial to stronger endings. This one just seemed to slowly run out of huff. Having said that, what a stellar effort of a first novel from someone so young. Well worth reading.
Karys McEwen
Wow. This is up there with some of the best YA novels I have read so far this year.

To be honest, I hadn't been expecting it. The title and book cover really aren't great. After reading, the title became more genuine to me, but on first glance it seemed a little mindless and I preempted a flimsy romance story with a reversal on the damsel in distress. Although, I may have judged the title differently if it weren't for the cover design, which was a bit too cutesy and prompted further fears about i
Sven
Could not believe how good this book is. Wantd to giv it mor than 5stars.
Rachel Lightwood

I have had this on my "maybe" list for ages and ages. The description sounded okay but it didn't grab me - same with the cover. I kind of forgot about it until I saw it on the library shelf last week. I thought I might as well grab it and give it a go... I certainly don't regret it!

Girl Saves Boy is one of those sweet fluffy contemporary books that sweeps you off your feet without you even realising it. The story is both heart-wrenching and heart-warming, a definite "sad book" but in a
Paula  Phillips
Girl- Jewel Valentine didn't expect that in her first days back since she was eight years old , she'd have to jump into the lake that her brother drowned in eight years ago when he was ten years old. Jewel Valentine didn't have a choice in coming back as after living with her grandparents from 8-16 yrs old , they had finally passed away and now Jewel is back living with the mother who didn't want her after her brother passed away.
Boy- Sacha Thomas's life hasn't been easy either , growing up wit
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Are You Seeing Me?
  • Raincheck on Timbuktu
  • New Guinea Moon
  • This is Shyness (This is Shyness, #1)
All This Could End Destroying the Joint: Why Women Have to Change the World

“Sometimes the hardest person in the world to talk to is your best friend, because it matters so much.” 51 likes
“She was too dependent on what other people thought of her, and that was her downfall. She cared too much. She was only what other people saw in her—-that is, what she imagined they saw in her.” 18 likes