The Genesis of Justice: Ten Stories of Biblical Injustice That Led to the Ten Commandments and Modern Morality and Law

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Alan Dershowitz is one of America's most famous litigation experts. In the Genesis of Justice he examines the Genesis narratives to bring to the reader an insight into the creation of the ten commandments and much of what is now law.
Published February 1st 2001 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Genesis of Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Genesis of Justice

Tzippy
Warning: Yeshivish ahead

Kfiratastic!

It's hard to rate this book, because do I rate it on a scale of how much is it kfira, or how interesting it is, or how compelling an argument it makes, or what? It's interesting and readable and, well...

On a kfira scale--one being VaYoel Moshe (kidding! Just kidding!) and ten being, say, the New Testament--this is about a six. Really, this book didn't need to be kfira. It was mostly just the first 3-4 chapters, and the book would still have worked without the...more
Kurt
This is a curious book to read as someone from a Christian background. I have read Genesis many times, and I have heard many sermons and written analyses about these stories, but I was still challenged by Professor Dershowitz's approach to the material. Essentially, he analyzes the book of Genesis as a prologue to the books of the Law that follow it - stories of injustice are less to illuminate some quality of God, more to show why the legal system developed is so necessary. As a law professor,...more
Deborahanndilley
I listened to this one on audible and I was surprised at how quickly I went through it. This was an excellent book, focusing on the importance of the Book of Genesis as to establishing law. The author sets up the basis of the Torah being the basis of law and the stories of Genesis as an example of life before a justice system was created and why it was needed. This is one that I will re-listen to from time to time as there was so much good stuff in it.
Steven Williams
Absolutely great. I don't know why, but every book I've read by Dershowitz has been extremely good, and this book is no exception. He tackles the judicial aspects of Genesis, providing a secular analysis of the texts. Very very interesting.
Dave
An interesting and very well written book. I love deciphering the mysteries of what people have come up with and this discussing a book or set which has caused just about every war on the planet- cool stuff.
Lesley
Interesting to see the stories of Genesis from a legal point of view. Dershowitz concludes that these tales of extreme family dysfunction point out the need for a society based on law.
Daryl
Very interesting ideas such as the bible would make more since if god was not omniscient. Basically, he challenges preconceived attributes on god.
Leon
Dershowitz's exegesis seems very unorthodox at points but his logic is compelling. A very interesting take on Genesis.
Brandon
One of the best books I've read. Gave me a new perspective on several of the stories in Genesis.
Rachel Garber
This is an interesting book. I have not finished it
Sérgio Leôncio
Sérgio Leôncio marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Jonnybrx
Jonnybrx marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Keith Beck
Keith Beck marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Sarah Cohen
Sarah Cohen marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Jeana
Jeana marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
David Dorton
David Dorton marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Alan Morton Dershowitz is an American lawyer, jurist, and political commentator. He is the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. He is known for his career as an attorney in several high-profile law cases and commentary on the Arab-Israeli conflict.

He has spent most of his career at Harvard, where, at the age of 28, he became the youngest full professor in its history, until No...more
More about Alan M. Dershowitz...
The Case for Israel Letters to a Young Lawyer Just Revenge Reversal of Fortune: Inside the Von Bulow Case America on Trial: Inside the Legal Battles That Transformed Our Nation