Start by marking “The Faith of Leap: Embracing a Theology of Risk, Adventure & Courage” as Want to Read:
The Faith of Leap: Embracing a Theology of Risk, Adventure & Courage

The Faith of Leap: Embracing a Theology of Risk, Adventure & Courage

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  16 reviews
As Helen Keller observed, "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

To Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch, so much of how we have learned to experience and understand the faith has been divo...more
Published (first published March 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Faith of Leap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faith of Leap

Susan
I read Faith of Leap as part of the first class in the Academy for Missional Wisdom, and I resonated with much of it, knowing exactly what Frost & Hirsch mean in their critique of "churchy spirituality". They emphasize the contrast between the churches of Christendom who wait and expect people to come to them, with missional communities who understand that discipleship is being sent out.

They lost me when they spent so many pages on material from Joseph Campbell's The Hero's Journey which has...more
Eric Lerew
This book was like a bag of chips, I read one page and finished the whole thing. It is by far the most inspirational and motivational book I've read from Alan and/or Michael. Chapter six or the story about the trailer park in chapter seven were worth the price of the whole book. If you want to get God's mission on this is the book.
Lenore Webb
So much of our lives is caught up in the development and maintenance of security and control. I know mine is all about feeling safe. That is best compliment I ever give my Dear Hubby. That with him I know I am always safe. But as Helen Keller observed, "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." And when our o...more
Markn12
Drawing on sources as diverse as J.R.R. Tolkien, sociology, anthropology, mythology and Disney films, authors Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch take a close look at ideas of adventure, heroism, and risk-taking as a means of both missional outreach and fostering deep community within the church. They outline elements of hero myth to illuminate the desire and need for adventure, for breaking out that lies deep within each person and describe how these yearnings find their source in the life of Jesus C...more
Wendy Hines
We spend our lives developing and maintaining our lives, keeping a tight reign on the path our lives take - or at least we try to. In The Faith of Leap, Frost and Hirsch discuss how to break out of our molds and to leap into the adventure of living our lives - God's adventure.

How to face our fears and find courage and take risks are only the broad basis of the novel, but how to achieve those desires and how they can change your life is also touched upon. Dashed throughout the book are passages f...more
Mark Adams
Another challenging book from Alan Hirsch and Michael Frost. A good follow up to 'The Forgotten Ways' and a reminder that the call to Christian living is an adventurous one.
The challenge is to take their ideas and to make them real within our own context.
Jim
Good book to read at this crossroads in my life and ministry. Lots of challenging thoughts and ideas here. Gets one star less for sometimes getting lost in the forest with too much theory.
Brian
Absolutely brilliant work. And while many of the themes here have been repeated from other works, this book does well to add to the ongoing missional conversation.
Naomi
A must-read for those interested in missional churches and in how risk and adventure are part of a life of faith.
Travis
"Good, challenging, interesting points... slightly long-winded, but not bad overall."
Matt
Highly recommend this book to church leaders, church planters, small group leaders.
Shawna
Good message but very repetitive.
Dave Arnold
Good, but similar to their other books.
Stephanie
Fantastic! I LOVE this author!
Chris Theule-vandam
A theology of risk - well done.
Ryan Day
Ryan Day is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
Ryan
Ryan is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
M Bucken
M Bucken marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
James D
James D marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Michael Frost is the Vice Principal and the Director of the Tinsley Institute at Morling College. He teaches various missiology and evangelism subjects and has written extensively on a missional paradigm for the church in a post-Christian era.

See also other Michael Frosts.
More about Michael Frost...
The Shaping of Things to Come: Innovation and Mission for the 21st Century Church Exiles: Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church The Road to Missional: Journey to the Center of the Church Jesus the Fool: The Mission of the Unconventional Christ

“Is a Can Opener a Can Opener . . . ? As we explain in The Shaping of Things to Come,[157] one of the “trick questions” we use to get group discussion going around the idea of purpose is, “Is a can opener a can opener if it can’t open cans anymore?” This usually initiates a lively discussion around the idea of essence versus function. When the discussion turns to the application to the idea of church, it generates insight into the issue of purpose of the church. Is the church simply a church because it confesses Christ, or is there some functional test that must be applied? When answering the question, “What do you do with a can opener that doesn’t open cans anymore?” most people will say that unless it is fixable, it is not fulfilling that which it was designed for and it should be thrown away. Without getting too heavy about it, and recognizing that we do live by the grace and love of God, we must recognize that in the Hebraic worldview, fruitfulness and functionality are very important and tend to trump the concept of “essence,” which derives largely from Platonic idealism and Greek philosophy. (Idealism basically states that concepts and ideas are real in themselves and are the essence of reality, and forms are just expressions of preexisting ideas.) This is why Jesus always applies the very Hebraic test of fruitfulness to any claims of belief (e.g., Matt. 7:16–20; 12:33; 21:19; Luke 3:8; 13:6–9; John 15; Rev. 2–3). The ultimate test of faithfulness in the Scriptures is not correct intellectual belief (e.g., Matt. 25; Luke 6:46; James 2:12, 21–26) but rather an ethical-functional one—in 1 John it is whether we love or fail in love; in James it is faith with works, about how we care for widows and orphans; in the letters of Peter it is our capacity to suffer in our witness for Jesus; in Hebrews to stay true to the journey. And as politically incorrect as it is to say it, judgment regarding fruitfulness is a vital aspect of the revelation of God in the Scriptures (e.g., John 15; Rev. 2–3; as well as the many parables of judgment that lace Jesus’s teachings).” 1 likes
“a missional church is simply any church that organizes itself around the mission of God in this world.” 0 likes