Start by marking “The Far Side Gallery 4” as Want to Read:
The Far Side Gallery 4

The Far Side Gallery 4 (The Far Side Gallery Anthologies #4)

4.44  ·  Rating Details ·  8,394 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Paperback with picture cover. Almost as new, only minor signs of use. Prompt UK dispatch, this item has been donated the proceeds raised will help fund the palliative care services provided by Wakefield Hospice.
Published 1996 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Far Side Gallery 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Far Side Gallery 4

Ron
Dec 07, 2015 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone in need of a laugh
The Far Side by Gary Larson was one of the two comic strips I've loved most (the other being Calvin & Hobbes). In my opinion, Larson was a twisted genius. I had cut his one-panel comics out of the newspaper on a regular basis. They were taped and tacked to my bulletin board, walls, refrigerator, etc. Then I could look my favorites for a chuckle – 100 times I could look at the same comic and still laugh.

I was really bummed when Larson announced retiring The Far Side in 1995. But to his credit
Andrew
Oct 04, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing
There are a number of clever yet simple (as in pen and ink) cartoonists out there today who I think can capture on one small box the simplicity of life, its absurdity and pass a humours twist on it, without being vulgar, demeaning or repetitive. The far side (along with in my view Dilburt and Calvin and Hobbs) is one of the masters of this and as such is a joy to read. The book has a lot to get through over 160 pages with on average 4 images a page, this is a book you cannot wade through but to ...more
Philip
Sep 17, 2011 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My trek to The Far Side and back is finished for now. I've read through all the galleries... I want to read the 10th anniversary edition. That looked pretty sweet.

I love... LOVE Gary Larson. Seriously, what's that guy doing these days? I bet he's accumulating mountains of Far Side water colors in his basement... one of a white whale yukking it up with Ahab and a giant squid. One of Pluto making some obscene gesture at the other "planets." And there definitely have to be cows and cavemen. Possibl
Mike (the Paladin)
Who knew cows could be so funny...and sneaky, not to mention, dogs, cats and so on. The Far Side is probably a never to be repeated comic that stands as one of the few unique examples of what cartoons can be. These may not be for everybody, but try them. If you haven't been introduced to these you'll thank me (or whoever introduced you).
Cole Oberndorfer
Looking back on these years after Ive last taken a look at them, I find them that much more poignant and hilarious. Many of them were lost on me in my youth and now, knowing more, are even funnier than the first time around. Its always good to go back and take a look at things like this, even if only to remind yourself that life shouldnt be taken too seriously.
Harley_Granger127~on semi-hiatus~
Linda
Sep 24, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruth saw that I was reading a graphic novel, so she insisted on finding this book for me to read.
Rebecca L. Snowe
Funny as usual.
Luna123
Sep 20, 2012 Luna123 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious!!! I've read it at least three times!
Giordi DeAngelo
Jun 08, 2017 Giordi DeAngelo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was 12 years old, I picked this book up at the W&M campus bookstore in Colonial Williamsburgs on a school trip. I remember reading it everyday for months after. I never realized until I was much older how much it actually steered me towards my love for comedy and the arts. I still have the book and enjoy reading it on a nice summer morning on my porch. Just something about the way Gary Larson creates his cartoons that is unlike anything else. Clever, funny and just all-around enjoyabl ...more
EpicReader2345
Some of them were good, but I didn't find a lot of them to be very funny, possibly because of references I don't get, or current events at the time.
spike marlin
Nov 19, 2016 spike marlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this book in years. But every time I do it cracks me up. One of the best cartoons ever published.
Andrew
Aug 10, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Gary Larson is certainly a master of his craft. I think Mark Twain's famous quote is relevant when speaking of Larson's talent: “I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” Larson's comics only get one panel, so the reader has to be able to pull layers and layers of backstory from one image. To accomplish this he has to draw on conventional wisdom, cliches, and shared perceptions. But then he'll take the conventional and introduce the absurd. For example, he'll ta ...more
Hilary
Oh, books of my past.

I've had The Far Side Gallery books for as long as I can remember. I grew up reading these comics and giggling to myself. Every time I come back to them I understand some of the more 'adult' and scientific jokes and puns and the comics only get more enjoyable. This collection of five books is fantastic, and brings together all (?) or at least a significant amount of Gary Larson's work.
Jordan713
Dec 04, 2012 Jordan713 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hahahaha this book is probably the best comic book EVER! Larson has overdone himself on this book and I think that this is my favorite Larson book of all time. Filled with funny comics for example: everyone knows the "why did the chicken cross the road" joke right? Gary does a cartoon where there is a chicken on one side of the highway, and on the other is a sign that the chicken is looking at. It says: "The Other Side: why do you need a reason?" This is just an example of all the funny cartoons ...more
Read It
Aug 14, 2014 Read It rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had a one page commentary page with Robin Williams on the front page. kinda chilling to read after observing his death last week.

Far Side is a sinister type of humor to gain attention through the off the wall humor & Jokes with witty humor on Animals, Humans and Aliens. The book is about 160 pages, I had some real good laughs and comic relief.

Not going to re-read it anytime soon.

Must have for any cartoonist and comic hobbyists.
Sophia W
Personally, I didn't find many of these to be very funny. They often seemed kind of forced. Also, may of them seemed like they would make more sense in a certain context, perhaps in light of a certain event or current situation at the time when they were written. This gives the sense that they are truly a newspaper comic - not really one that can be fully appreciated when in a collection or book format.
Amber the Human
While reading some sort of pregnancy advice blog, I came across the suggestion to bring a comic strip type book to the hospital with you so that you can enjoy yourself without having to concentrate too much. Well, I never read this in the hospital, but I did in the ensuing crazy time after that, so it worked!
Lukeb
Nov 23, 2010 Lukeb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
just like the other far side books this is a seriously good book for serious people who like to have fun when they read. I have to read them daily otherwise I will fell like I didn't get all the fun out of the day. equally funny to calvin and hobes AKA another great comedy book you never know w that their going to do next. All and all this is super great book!
John
Jun 23, 2008 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I remember being introduced to the Far Side by a very good friend after a heavy session of serious alcohol...

I know that it's nothing to be proud of [but it felt good at the time], yet I have often wondered if my state of alcohol-induced giggles was entirely down to the Far Side...

ANSWER = IT WAS....

The books are outstandingly still funny.
HeavyReader
More more more goodness of The Far Side.

Gary Larson has a view on life (or at least the view of life that makes it into his comics) that is totally twisted, yet also hilarious.

But I probably don't have to say that, as probably everyone over the age of 10 has seen a million examples of his work.
Indika De Silva
Aug 27, 2014 Indika De Silva rated it it was amazing
Gary Larson is a Genius.

And I feel like a genius for reading and understanding his comics.

The introduction is by Robin Williams. Robin Williams talk like the way Gary Larson draws and writes. Gary Larson comes up with zany ideas just like Robin Williams would do improv. I would have seen good money to see those two geniuses at the same place.

Adam T Calvert
Sep 17, 2013 Adam T Calvert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Just as good as the Volume 1 and 3 (the library didn't have volume 2 when I was there last).

This volume was introduced by Robin Williams. So...kind of nutty; but it didn't really detract at all from the humor Larson presented.
James Baylor
Mar 01, 2013 James Baylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Larson has created another collection of masterpieces. His wonderful witty humor hits close to my childhood years, and I love it. His ingenuity of turning a simple scene into a joke deserves many an award.
Brooke
Feb 08, 2009 Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i don't know if technically this counts as reading, but it's the best way to spend an afternoon. Gary Larson has such a gift--the ability to send my parents and my friends into fits of laughter with equal vigor.
Deb
Dec 15, 2014 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I love Gary Larson and mostly everything he writes, including this one, never fails to make me laugh." I used to have a desk calender at work, and everyday I would be greeted by a Gary Larson drawing." (It would make my day until work started, but at least I could glance at it during the day!)"
Jdetrick
One of the great things about The Far Side is that the cartoons are so good that almost everyone is worthy to be cut out and clipped at your workplace. It touches on so many different subjects that it's bound to hit on what you do for a living eventually.
Ane
Jul 12, 2013 Ane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
My 13yo & I read this together. Although there were some adult things he didn't get, we laughed together and had a great time laughing at these comics! Gary Larson is hilarious! What a crazy sense of humor he has. Good fun!
Corey
Oct 03, 2013 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GOOD POOPIN BOOK
Beau Johnston
Mar 11, 2014 Beau Johnston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
If you are a fan of the Far Side comics, you can guarantee that any Far Side book you pick up will be a winner
Only ratings/No reviews??? 2 17 Jun 17, 2014 07:44AM
  • At Least This Place Sells T-Shirts:  A FoxTrot Collection
  • There's Treasure Everywhere: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • Billy and the Boingers: Bootleg
  • Seven Years of Highly Defective People: Scott Adams' Guided Tour of the Evolution of Dilbert
  • Say Cheesy: A Get Fuzzy Collection, Vol. 5
19928
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...

The Far Side Gallery Anthologies (5 books)
  • The Far Side Gallery