The Far Side Gallery 4

The Far Side Gallery 4 (The Far Side Gallery Anthologies #4)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  6,400 ratings  ·  48 reviews
The Far Side® and the Larson® signature are registered trademarks of FarWorks, Inc.

Published 1996 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 1989)

Philip
My trek to The Far Side and back is finished for now. I've read through all the galleries... I want to read the 10th anniversary edition. That looked pretty sweet.

I love... LOVE Gary Larson. Seriously, what's that guy doing these days? I bet he's accumulating mountains of Far Side water colors in his basement... one of a white whale yukking it up with Ahab and a giant squid. One of Pluto making some obscene gesture at the other "planets." And there definitely have to be cows and cavemen. Possibl...more
Cole Oberndorfer
Looking back on these years after Ive last taken a look at them, I find them that much more poignant and hilarious. Many of them were lost on me in my youth and now, knowing more, are even funnier than the first time around. Its always good to go back and take a look at things like this, even if only to remind yourself that life shouldnt be taken too seriously.
Mike (the Paladin)
Who knew cows could be so funny...and sneaky, not to mention, dogs, cats and so on. The Far Side is probably a never to be repeated comic that stands as one of the few unique examples of what cartoons can be. These may not be for everybody, but try them. If you haven't been introduced to these you'll thank me (or whoever introduced you).
Luna123
This book is hilarious!!! I've read it at least three times!
Andrew Frueh
Gary Larson is certainly a master of his craft. I think Mark Twain's famous quote is relevant when speaking of Larson's talent: “I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” Larson's comics only get one panel, so the reader has to be able to pull layers and layers of backstory from one image. To accomplish this he has to draw on conventional wisdom, cliches, and shared perceptions. But then he'll take the conventional and introduce the absurd. For example, he'll ta...more
Dave Peticolas

Larson makes excellent cartoons that are marred by the inclusion of superfluous captions. I was happy to read that captions were often forced on him by his editor.

Fox
Oh, books of my past.

I've had The Far Side Gallery books for as long as I can remember. I grew up reading these comics and giggling to myself. Every time I come back to them I understand some of the more 'adult' and scientific jokes and puns and the comics only get more enjoyable. This collection of five books is fantastic, and brings together all (?) or at least a significant amount of Gary Larson's work.
Beau Johnston
If you are a fan of the Far Side comics, you can guarantee that any Far Side book you pick up will be a winner
Jordan713
Hahahaha this book is probably the best comic book EVER! Larson has overdone himself on this book and I think that this is my favorite Larson book of all time. Filled with funny comics for example: everyone knows the "why did the chicken cross the road" joke right? Gary does a cartoon where there is a chicken on one side of the highway, and on the other is a sign that the chicken is looking at. It says: "The Other Side: why do you need a reason?" This is just an example of all the funny cartoons...more
Lukeb
just like the other far side books this is a seriously good book for serious people who like to have fun when they read. I have to read them daily otherwise I will fell like I didn't get all the fun out of the day. equally funny to calvin and hobes AKA another great comedy book you never know w that their going to do next. All and all this is super great book!
John
I remember being introduced to the Far Side by a very good friend after a heavy session of serious alcohol...

I know that it's nothing to be proud of [but it felt good at the time], yet I have often wondered if my state of alcohol-induced giggles was entirely down to the Far Side...

ANSWER = IT WAS....

The books are outstandingly still funny.
HeavyReader
More more more goodness of The Far Side.

Gary Larson has a view on life (or at least the view of life that makes it into his comics) that is totally twisted, yet also hilarious.

But I probably don't have to say that, as probably everyone over the age of 10 has seen a million examples of his work.
Adam T Calvert
Just as good as the Volume 1 and 3 (the library didn't have volume 2 when I was there last).

This volume was introduced by Robin Williams. So...kind of nutty; but it didn't really detract at all from the humor Larson presented.
Ane
My 13yo & I read this together. Although there were some adult things he didn't get, we laughed together and had a great time laughing at these comics! Gary Larson is hilarious! What a crazy sense of humor he has. Good fun!
D'Anne
I'd forgotten how awesome some of these are.
Brooke
i don't know if technically this counts as reading, but it's the best way to spend an afternoon. Gary Larson has such a gift--the ability to send my parents and my friends into fits of laughter with equal vigor.
James Baylor
Mr. Larson has created another collection of masterpieces. His wonderful witty humor hits close to my childhood years, and I love it. His ingenuity of turning a simple scene into a joke deserves many an award.
Love the double-take that happens when I read a Gary Larson cartoon. I still enjoy this collection, after reading it numerous times. One of the best Far Side Collections.
Kim
Re-read March 2, 2013. Classic Larson. Cartoons from Wildlife Preserves, Wiener Dog Art, and Unnatural Disasters. Foreword by Robin Williams.
Jaime Contreras
Gary larson is just 'off' enouhg and a talented storyteller. This is an odd and very entertaining collection of his best work.
Ruth
The Far Side always makes me think of my brother. This brand of humor was right up his alley. And it is really good!
Peacegal
I do love me some "Far Side." However, many of the comics featured in this collection appeared in the previous books.
Matt Mazenauer
I can recite word for word at least half of these, but it's always awesome to see a few new ones. Bless Gary Larson.
Lucy
omg! this book is so funny! You couldn't go a page without laughing! (I swear. It was true for me! :)
Jeremiah
Gary Larson has done to me what Daniel Pinkwater has done to my wife. Oh, I feel for our kids' sanity!
Jaron
good book.Extremely funny but with some Inappropriate parts though.beside that I would give it 5 stars.
Michael Wolf
I have read and viewed vast quantities of Larson compilations; this is good as any other.
Buggz79
What I love most about Gary Larson? He makes you think first..then laugh out loud.
Jess
Not my favorite collection, but, like all of Larson's stuff, it's strong.
Pam
Pure genius. How much fun would it be to have one day inside his head!
Only ratings/No reviews??? 2 13 Jun 17, 2014 07:44AM
  • Calvin and Hobbes: There's Treasure Everywhere
  • Camp FoxTrot
  • 'Toons for Our Times: A Bloom County Book of Heavy Meadow Rump 'n Roll
  • Seven Years of Highly Defective People (Dilbert, #10)
19928
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl...more
More about Gary Larson...
The Far Side Gallery 3 The Far Side Gallery The Far Side Gallery 2 The Prehistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit The Far Side