Start by marking “The Far Side Gallery 4” as Want to Read:
The Far Side Gallery 4

The Far Side Gallery 4 (The Far Side Gallery Anthologies #4)

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  7,243 ratings  ·  58 reviews
This fourth collection of The Far Side cartoons ranges from neanderthals to nerds, dogs to dinosaurs and horses to humans. Yet again, the author's odd and dark sense of humour is expressed in the doings of man and beast.
Published 1996 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Far Side Gallery 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Far Side Gallery 4

Andrew
There are a number of clever yet simple (as in pen and ink) cartoonists out there today who I think can capture on one small box the simplicity of life, its absurdity and pass a humours twist on it, without being vulgar, demeaning or repetitive. The far side (along with in my view Dilburt and Calvin and Hobbs) is one of the masters of this and as such is a joy to read. The book has a lot to get through over 160 pages with on average 4 images a page, this is a book you cannot wade through but to ...more
Philip
My trek to The Far Side and back is finished for now. I've read through all the galleries... I want to read the 10th anniversary edition. That looked pretty sweet.

I love... LOVE Gary Larson. Seriously, what's that guy doing these days? I bet he's accumulating mountains of Far Side water colors in his basement... one of a white whale yukking it up with Ahab and a giant squid. One of Pluto making some obscene gesture at the other "planets." And there definitely have to be cows and cavemen. Possibl
Cole Oberndorfer
Looking back on these years after Ive last taken a look at them, I find them that much more poignant and hilarious. Many of them were lost on me in my youth and now, knowing more, are even funnier than the first time around. Its always good to go back and take a look at things like this, even if only to remind yourself that life shouldnt be taken too seriously.
Mike (the Paladin)
Who knew cows could be so funny...and sneaky, not to mention, dogs, cats and so on. The Far Side is probably a never to be repeated comic that stands as one of the few unique examples of what cartoons can be. These may not be for everybody, but try them. If you haven't been introduced to these you'll thank me (or whoever introduced you).
Luna123
This book is hilarious!!! I've read it at least three times!
Andrew Frueh
Gary Larson is certainly a master of his craft. I think Mark Twain's famous quote is relevant when speaking of Larson's talent: “I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” Larson's comics only get one panel, so the reader has to be able to pull layers and layers of backstory from one image. To accomplish this he has to draw on conventional wisdom, cliches, and shared perceptions. But then he'll take the conventional and introduce the absurd. For example, he'll ta ...more
Read It
Had a one page commentary page with Robin Williams on the front page. kinda chilling to read after observing his death last week.

Far Side is a sinister type of humor to gain attention through the off the wall humor & Jokes with witty humor on Animals, Humans and Aliens. The book is about 160 pages, I had some real good laughs and comic relief.

Not going to re-read it anytime soon.

Must have for any cartoonist and comic hobbyists.
Indika De Silva
Gary Larson is a Genius.

And I feel like a genius for reading and understanding his comics.

The introduction is by Robin Williams. Robin Williams talk like the way Gary Larson draws and writes. Gary Larson comes up with zany ideas just like Robin Williams would do improv. I would have seen good money to see those two geniuses at the same place.

Jdetrick
One of the great things about The Far Side is that the cartoons are so good that almost everyone is worthy to be cut out and clipped at your workplace. It touches on so many different subjects that it's bound to hit on what you do for a living eventually.
Tabi Rae
More great Gary Larson. Strange, loony, oddball, but always funny. Well worth your time. And expect to spend a lot of time -- there's just so much you don't see the first time around.
Hilary
Oh, books of my past.

I've had The Far Side Gallery books for as long as I can remember. I grew up reading these comics and giggling to myself. Every time I come back to them I understand some of the more 'adult' and scientific jokes and puns and the comics only get more enjoyable. This collection of five books is fantastic, and brings together all (?) or at least a significant amount of Gary Larson's work.
Beau Johnston
If you are a fan of the Far Side comics, you can guarantee that any Far Side book you pick up will be a winner
Jenny
24/25
5 original
5 good topic
5 fast read
4 plot
5 opinion
Ashwise
Another cute anthology of comics, some of which can get super dark!
Mark
Did you know they have these at the public library?
Jordan713
Hahahaha this book is probably the best comic book EVER! Larson has overdone himself on this book and I think that this is my favorite Larson book of all time. Filled with funny comics for example: everyone knows the "why did the chicken cross the road" joke right? Gary does a cartoon where there is a chicken on one side of the highway, and on the other is a sign that the chicken is looking at. It says: "The Other Side: why do you need a reason?" This is just an example of all the funny cartoons ...more
Deb
"I love Gary Larson and mostly everything he writes, including this one, never fails to make me laugh." I used to have a desk calender at work, and everyday I would be greeted by a Gary Larson drawing." (It would make my day until work started, but at least I could glance at it during the day!)"
Lukeb
just like the other far side books this is a seriously good book for serious people who like to have fun when they read. I have to read them daily otherwise I will fell like I didn't get all the fun out of the day. equally funny to calvin and hobes AKA another great comedy book you never know w that their going to do next. All and all this is super great book!
John
I remember being introduced to the Far Side by a very good friend after a heavy session of serious alcohol...

I know that it's nothing to be proud of [but it felt good at the time], yet I have often wondered if my state of alcohol-induced giggles was entirely down to the Far Side...

ANSWER = IT WAS....

The books are outstandingly still funny.
HeavyReader
More more more goodness of The Far Side.

Gary Larson has a view on life (or at least the view of life that makes it into his comics) that is totally twisted, yet also hilarious.

But I probably don't have to say that, as probably everyone over the age of 10 has seen a million examples of his work.
Adam T Calvert
Just as good as the Volume 1 and 3 (the library didn't have volume 2 when I was there last).

This volume was introduced by Robin Williams. So...kind of nutty; but it didn't really detract at all from the humor Larson presented.
Ane
My 13yo & I read this together. Although there were some adult things he didn't get, we laughed together and had a great time laughing at these comics! Gary Larson is hilarious! What a crazy sense of humor he has. Good fun!
D'Anne
I'd forgotten how awesome some of these are.
Brooke
i don't know if technically this counts as reading, but it's the best way to spend an afternoon. Gary Larson has such a gift--the ability to send my parents and my friends into fits of laughter with equal vigor.
James Baylor
Mr. Larson has created another collection of masterpieces. His wonderful witty humor hits close to my childhood years, and I love it. His ingenuity of turning a simple scene into a joke deserves many an award.
Dave Peticolas

Larson makes excellent cartoons that are marred by the inclusion of superfluous captions. I was happy to read that captions were often forced on him by his editor.

Love the double-take that happens when I read a Gary Larson cartoon. I still enjoy this collection, after reading it numerous times. One of the best Far Side Collections.
Kim
Re-read March 2, 2013. Classic Larson. Cartoons from Wildlife Preserves, Wiener Dog Art, and Unnatural Disasters. Foreword by Robin Williams.
Diana
Another quick read for a break in class work. I really miss this comic, not always exactly PC, but it fits my sense of humor.
Jaime Contreras
Gary larson is just 'off' enouhg and a talented storyteller. This is an odd and very entertaining collection of his best work.
Only ratings/No reviews??? 2 16 Jun 17, 2014 07:44AM
  • Calvin and Hobbes: Scientific Progress Goes "Boink"
  • At Least This Place Sells T-Shirts:  A FoxTrot Collection
  • Billy & Boingers Bootleg (Bloom County Book)
  • Seven Years of Highly Defective People : Scott Adams' Guided Tour of the Evolution of Dilbert
19928
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...

The Far Side Gallery Anthologies (5 books)
  • The Far Side Gallery
  • The Far Side Gallery 2
  • The Far Side Gallery 3
  • The Far Side Gallery 5
The Far Side Gallery 3 The Far Side Gallery The Far Side Gallery 2 The PreHistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit The Far Side