Start by marking “Outlander (Outlander #1)” as Want to Read:
Outlander (Outlander #1)

Outlander (Outlander #1)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  516,192 Ratings  ·  34,383 Reviews
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in ti
Published July 26th 2005 by Dell Publishing Company (first published June 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Outlander, please sign up.

Miranda Mudd I think it is a good portrayal of what life was like for women back in the 1700's. Rape was very common. The author does a good job of trying to be…moreI think it is a good portrayal of what life was like for women back in the 1700's. Rape was very common. The author does a good job of trying to be historically accurate. Rape is not the main focus of this book.(less)

Duchess Nicole

Quick question: if this book has a quarter of a million ratings and still maintains an average rating of 4.13, why the hell are the most popular reviews the snarky, mean spirited, one or two star reviews? That doesn't match up at all with what I'd assume would be the case, which is that most people who read this book LOVED IT. Including me.
Please, people. If you enjoy a book, click "like" on the good reviews as well. That's what people see first when they look for reviews on Goodreads...the one
Holly
A special note to those who say my review stopped them from reading this book: No no no! Read it! I actually reread the whole series last summer and enjoyed it immensely. Just read it for what it is: ludicrous, well-written, humorous, delicious TRASH. Just don't expect it to be the most brilliant novel ever written and you'll be fine.

How To Commit Adultery Without Being a Cheap Slutty Whore: A Q&A by Diana Gabaldon

Q: I love my husband but I'm feeling kind of restless. But adultery is wrong.
Navessa
WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. ...more
Kelly
Jan 13, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all women, historical fiction lovers
Yes! I read this. I admit it! You caught me! Not only that... I loved it. It is a double sin I will likely have to one day repent for by reading piles of Dostoyevsky while I tear out my hair. In any case. Right, once again into the breach to defend myself!

This book is incredibly long. It's just a fact. All of them are. But they go by so incredibly fast. By the time I got to the third one? I read it in three days. The pages just keep turning. I read at double speed I was so engrossed in the story
HeatherJay
Jul 20, 2014 HeatherJay rated it it was amazing
I remember my friend in college ( 1992ish ) coming out of her room holding a book to her chest and saying " YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK". She said it was a time-travel, romance book set in post world war II Scotland and mid 18th century Scotland.
Being as I was a 24 year old stoner and a 5th year college student, Lord of the Rings was more up my alley and I told her I'd "put it on my list"!! Fast forward to 2009, I'm on my usual Saturday morning sojourn to Barnes and Noble and I come across "Outl
Sasha Alsberg
Aug 29, 2016 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHATTTT HOW DID I NOT MARK THIS MAGNIFICENT CREATION OF A NOVEL AS READ BEFORE???
I read this book 2 years ago and it has captured my heart and is my favorite book of all time <3
Sasha Alsberg
Apr 07, 2015 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is my love, you all know this. It deserves an infinite amount of stars, too bad Goodreads only allows 5!
Check out my review on YouTube here:
RandomAnthony
Jan 13, 2014 RandomAnthony rated it liked it
(Ok, first off, there are going to be minor spoilers/hints in this review…read at your own risk, although I’ll try not to reveal too much.)

Outlander is a damn good book. Sure, the book has a blue fake leather cover, costs four bucks, and screams “spinning rack at the airport bookstore”. I approached the text with suspicion but found myself invested in the language and storyline within the first hundred pages. Here’s why:

TEN GOOD THINGS ABOUT OUTLANDER

1. The characterizations of Jamie and Claire,
Lisa
Jan 03, 2014 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trashy_trashy
Contains SPOILERS ---
I was lying in a hospital bed with my leg broken, and once the library trolley came for a round of 'books, anyone?', my hand was in the air in no time.
Too late did the librarian notice the foreign literature on my bedside table and with a distraught expression try to recover 'Outlander';I said firmly: 'Oh no, Madam, I'll read that.'. Just enough time left for her to make up with a tome of controversial French literature on the genocide in Ruanda...
But as I'd said: my first
Julianna
Dec 21, 2015 Julianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Scottish History, Romance or Time Travel
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

I've read that Outlander was originally marketed as a romance novel because the publisher didn't know what else to do with it, but this book is no ordinary romance novel. It doesn't follow any typical romance formula and is a real genre bender that doesn't fit neatly into any one category. Outlander has a swoon-worthy hero and dozens of truly romantic scenes that should be sufficient to satisfy even the most discriminating romance reader, while it's time travel asp
Deborah Markus
I gave up on this book because I was sustaining permanent damage from reading it and I was afraid I'd start hitting back. And it's a borrowed copy, so that wouldn't be cool.

In fairness, I should say there's a lot of good writing here. I really enjoyed the beginning chapters. They even kind of cracked me up, because I have friends who love genealogy and their husbands always get that look when they start talking about it and that's exactly how I imagined Claire looking when her husband Frank star
Leslie
Jan 13, 2014 Leslie rated it it was amazing
This series changed my life. I cannot even begin to go into the details of how much I fell in love with the main characters: Claire Beauchamp and Jamie Fraser. The love story between these two beautifully written characters actually transcends time and logic. Their devotion, respect and soul-reaching love was one of beauty and even awe inspiring. Theirs is a long and beautiful historic journey together reaching limits and boundaries of both heartwarming depth and gut-wrenching tragedy. Not to be ...more
Emily May
Apr 16, 2016 Emily May rated it really liked it
I wanted to write a better review for this book to coincide with the release of the new TV series, where Jamie actually does look pretty hot...

Back when I read this as a wee lass (okay, like, three years ago), there weren't quite as many interesting interpretations of the novel going on. I remember reading a bunch of reviews that either sold it as sophisticated, well-researched historical fiction, or a trashy kilt-wearing romance full of sex, violence and violent sex. In my opinion, neither is t
Aestas Book Blog
Here are a bunch of pics from the TV show being filmed right now :D

Chelsea
Man, after the pitch I've heard about this book from basically every (female) reader I've ever met, I was expecting something that was NOT THIS. Fairly offensive, needlessly graphic, and smutty in that skeevy way, rather than the hot way. At one point, Jamie punishes Claire for disobeying him by literally spanking her - which was treated as perfectly understandable, and was quickly dismissed. I know that I cringed throughout the entire thing, and found it hard to believe that any relatively ...more
Kat Kennedy
Outlander is not a book for everyone. I'll put that right out there. If you think you can stomach extreme sexual violence as well as themes of sadism then go ahead. If you can understand good characters doing things in their historical context that would be seen as abuse now, then give it a try.

You won't be disappointed.

Gabaldon has finely crafted a novel that is radically different to the stereotype. This is no average love story. Her research is extensive and flawless; bringing to life a world
Latharia
Jan 05, 2014 Latharia rated it did not like it
I read the first 300 or so pages of the book. The first 200 had me hooked...and then the sex scenes started. I've got nothing against a sex scene or two ... but the main characters were having sex all the freaking time. And when it escalated to include violence, including a scene that I can only describe as rape (she says no, he forces her to have sex anyway), I closed the book & decided not to read anymore. I enjoy historical fiction ... just not this type of it, I suppose.
Etnik
description

4.5 GREAT AWESOME COOL FANTASTIC BRILLIANTSTARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

I am going to part this review in two sections(parts) because I don't want to give spoilers away but also want to share some of the scenes I really enjoyed with people who have also read the book so we can discuss together.So the first part of the review will be SPOILER FREE and everyone can read it,and the second part will be filled with spoilers so if you haven't read the book don

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Okay, there are tons of reviews on this book, and I can't add too much to the review ether that hasn't already been said. But, I promised to write a review for every book I read, so I'll do this in an different kind of way. How about a Q&A session about this book?

Question and Answer Session With Danielle Regarding Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

1. So, you finally read it. How does it feel to read this 850 page magnum opus?

I feel a profound sense of accomplishment. I'm glad that I 'womaned-up' an
Felicia
Jan 13, 2014 Felicia rated it it was amazing
Ok, so historical romance isn't really my thing. I read this book because I got tipsy after a concert and went to the bookstore and bought a ton of "Highland-hunk" romance novels on whim and Twittered about it, so I had to read them all. Ugh. So, I read 4 other books that were hideously bad, and then this one was highly recommended to me by many on Twitter/Facebook as the cream of the crop. I was dubious.

I have to say, this is a LOVELY book. I'm not CRAZY motivated to read the rest of the series
Mo
Jun 22, 2014 Mo rated it it was amazing

The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

First off, I am not big on “Time-travel” books but this has been on my kindle forever and with the new TV series coming out in a month
Lynn
People kept telling me how good the Outlander series was, and I kept putting off reading them because they're time travel romances. Time travel romances are always completely cheesy aren't they?

Well, I finally broke down and read "Outlander," and quickly discovered it's one of the most original novels out there. I was happy to see that Barnes & Noble recently moved them out of the "romance" section because they are way more involved than your typical girl-meets-boy.

Claire, the World War II
Katinki
This is actually a very difficult book for me to rate. Certain aspects of it were very good. Others, I didn't care for at all. I suppose I can say that as a whole I liked it "okay". Somewhere between a 2 and a 3, but I'm going to round down due to the seriousness of my dislikes.

What worked for me:
- Attention to detail (more on that below, however). It was very easy for me to visualize scenes and actions.
- In general, the premise for the novel was interesting. And some parts of it were very e
Alysha
Oct 03, 2008 Alysha rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: reader's of Harlequinn Romances
Too bad here isn't a rating stronger than "didn't like" because I hated this book. In fact, I read the entire thing just so that someone couldn't talk me out of hating it by saying "Oh, it gets better at the end" or "you really needed to read the whole thing to appreciate it".

This book isn't about Scotland or time travel, it's about Jamie and Claire having sex in different locations and positions. Throw in a little wife beating, rape and repeated torture and you've got yourself a toned-down Mar
Zoë
Jan 12, 2015 Zoë rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um YES. This is what I like.
It took a while to get into and read as I was having to do school work and holiday festivities at the same time, but it was definitely worth it!
If you like historical fiction, time travel, and/or romance, PICK THIS UP. You also get the beautiful and perfect specimen of Jamie.
Tara
Photobucket

SUCKED!!
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Update- 4/29/12- I'm having serious Outlander withdrawals, whenever this happens, I find myself searching for novels like this (not just time-travel, or historical romance, or rich with details, but the excellent writing as well) and always come up short. There is nothing out there like this and it is sad.

Re-read finished 1-16-12 (still the best damn book out there)

You can read my review as a guest reviewer here...

or below...

The Outlander series audioboo
Mimi Smith
Jul 16, 2014 Mimi Smith rated it it was amazing
5++++++ stars

Anyone who's known me longer than 5 minutes knows this is my favorite book. I've always said I'll never write a review about it. I gave in, but I won't be able to write anything dispassionate about it, nor write about it reasonably, so I'll just say what I love about it...

I love Jamie, Claire, Inverness, Castle Leoch, Jamie, Dougal and Colum, the wedding, Jamie, the humour, the childhood stories, Jamie, Lallybroch, Jenny, Jamie, Ian, the kids, JAMIE!, the desriptions, the ending...A
Amy (Foxy)
LET THE KILT DROP

description

Last week when I realized OUTLANDER was ending mid-season I decided to read the book. I knew I would want to know what was coming next. Having purchased the book earlier this year made that possible. When I mentioned to my mom about starting the book she offered her kindle so that I could listen to the audio version. I basically spent the next 4 days wearing headphones. The moment Jamie appeared in the book the headphones were never taken off except to sleep and shower.

I'm prett
Fabian
Dec 08, 2016 Fabian rated it really liked it
Myriad problems with this one... but several surprising & multifaceted splendors as well.

This is an unexpected tome that merges speculative fantasy with true historical events. It does something remarkable in having a target audience that vacillates between YA & the non-fiction prone; in other words, if you are a READER, this one is for you (it's got someuthing for Everyone!).

The sex gets racier and racier, but the adventure starts growing tepid. The antagonist is for sure memorable as a
Around the Year i...: Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon 20 73 9 hours, 13 min ago
Am I the only one who can't stand this book? 68 1775 Dec 05, 2016 04:56PM
Reading List Comp...: Outlander - General Discussion 9 18 Nov 28, 2016 06:23PM
Reading List Comp...: Outlander - Part 3 8 13 Nov 28, 2016 05:58PM
Highlander Romance: Gabaldon's Outlander headed for TV 93 338 Nov 27, 2016 08:03PM
I wish they hadn't made this into a TVshow 53 332 Nov 24, 2016 03:58PM
Reading List Comp...: Outlander - Part 5-7(end) 2 6 Nov 16, 2016 06:57AM
  • Fire Along the Sky (Wilderness, #4)
  • The Highlander's Touch (Highlander, #3)
  • A Highlander's Homecoming (Daughters of the Glen, #6)
  • The Pride of Lions (Highlands, #1)
  • The Temptation of the Night Jasmine (Pink Carnation, #5)
  • Lying Season (Experiment in Terror, #4)
  • This Is All I Ask (de Piaget, #6; de Piaget/MacLeod, #3)
  • Awaken the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #1)
  • The Summer Garden (The Bronze Horseman, #3)
  • Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1)
  • The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6)
  • Dancing on Coals
  • Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers,  #1)
  • The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2)
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .
More about Diana Gabaldon...

Outlander (9 books)
  • Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)
  • Voyager (Outlander, #3)
  • Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
  • The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5)
  • A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)
  • An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7)
  • Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8)
  • Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone (Outlander, #9)

80 trivia questions