Start by marking “The Wings of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Wings of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #5)

The Wings of Merlin (Merlin #5)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,722 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Winter's longest night is rapidly approaching as Merlin faces the most difficult challenge of his life: to unite all the people of Fincayra against an invasion by the evil Rhita Gawr. But how can one man, in two weeks' time, gather them all—the dwarves, the canyon eagles, the walking trees, the living stones, and more—when none of them will listen? And now comes the myster ...more
Audiobook, MP3
Published March 8th 2011 by Listening Library, Inc. (first published October 9th 2000)

Janna
Apr 22, 2015 Janna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
End book of the series. All the books in the series are very well written for a young audience. While many books in the young adult section have an adult feel, this series maintains a youthful vibe. This is a virtue not a fault. I love the story Barron has woven about Merlin, just the right balance of darkness and light just like the character of Arthur legends. Merlin his a boy first with all the faults that come with youth and has to learn how to be a man. Fantastical creatures, friends and fo ...more
Denae Christine
I only read the whole series because I hoped it would redeem itself by having a good ending or the completion would make me happy. Alas, not.

I've had trouble describing the issues with this series, but after five books I might be able to manage. Ahem.

Merlin is not clever. I see answers waaaay before he does, and he never thinks outside the box for his solutions.
The conflicts of the book are made to sound astronomically difficult then are resolved with little to no effort in little to no time.
Too
Brian Zhou
Feb 20, 2013 Brian Zhou rated it it was amazing
In the series, The Lost Years of Merlin, T. A. Barron does a great job filling in the gaps of Merlin's youth and "lost years". What most people know about Merlin is that he was the mentor of King Arthur and a great wizard. The thing that is not revealed is Merlin's youth and his childhood. T. A. Barron describes this very well and it fits nicely into the gap of Merlin's youth.

-----------------------------SPOILER ALERT--------------------------

My favorite part of this series was when Merlin goes
Alyssa Archambo Nelson
I can’t help but feel that this book is lacking in complexity. For me, the characters are generally shallow and the conflicts are fairly simple. While I enjoy the classic “good versus evil” story, I would like more depth. The simplicity of the conflict and strong emotional reactions of the characters cause this book to be almost melodramatic, and sometimes the courses of action Merlin takes simply don’t make sense.

Despite the flaws, I still enjoyed this story. It has good lessons to teach, and a
Luis Correa
Jul 15, 2011 Luis Correa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
This one was completely new to me. After the fifth time around, Barron's slights become painfully obvious. Cliffhanger after cliffhanger, moments of crisis solved by a constant stream of deus-ex-machina, Jar-Jar Binks-like characters, a slew of moralizing, and buildup is really only repetition. Midway though, I was prepared to really like this book, because, for once, he had written extended scenes and clever situations, but the way the major crisis in the book was resolved was probably one of t ...more
Ea Solinas
Apr 29, 2015 Ea Solinas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All good things come to an end, and so it is for Merlin's stay in the magical land of Fincayra.

And the last volume of T.A. Barron's series about the Arthurian wizard Merlin, "The Wizard's Wings," is a solid conclusion to his first cycle of books (there are two sequel series). It's a fitting if bittersweet ending to this five-book "trilogy," and it sets the stage for other facets of Arthurian legend.

Merlin, Hallia and Rhia are having fun when the Dagda appears in a vision, and warns Merlin that t
Jen
May 28, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fifth and final book of this section of Barron's Merlin series. Overall I found this book to be written like the others - detailed but not extraneous, captivating in parts and a decent story.

As usual Merlin still appears to stumble upon the right thing to do, which by the fifth book I guess I expected something a bit more reasoned. He has one reason for a choice, which turns around on him but we find it was a good choice for a different reason. I feel like the only real choice, made by real
SIMON Karine
Jul 14, 2014 SIMON Karine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sur le trajet des vacances, j’ai eu l’occasion de terminer le tome 5 des aventures de Merlin, intitulé Les ailes de l’enchanteur. Ce tome clôture le cycle 1 des années oubliées.

On y retrouve Merlin en compagnie d’Hallia. Ils sont devenus très proche au fur et à mesure de leurs aventures. Durant leur voyage, ils croiseront Rhia qui se joindra à eux. Mais très rapidement Merlin va faire un rêve atroce, et avoir une vision. Le monde de Fincayra est menacé, et risque de disparaître sous les assauts
Fantasy Literature
This is the fifth and final book of T.A. Barron’s THE LOST YEARS OF MERLIN cycle, one of the earliest literary explorations of the famous wizard’s childhood. Since then there have been a number of books (and one television show) about what this enigmatic sorcerer was like as a young boy, well before his mentoring of the famed King Arthur, but Barron’s take on the subject matter remains one of the most popular.

So popular that it’s warranted a recent re-publication, with new cover art and tweaked
Beau
Jun 21, 2014 Beau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-books
For me this book has a powerful ending. I read this series long ago as a child, and of course I didn't remember the series' nuances, but I did remember the last few chapters had an effect on me. So as I began to reread this, that feeling gradually came back, and it is for that, I believe, all people who love reading, read.

The mechanics are rudimentary, as all children oriented books are. However I don't indignantly discriminate literary merit based on the audience, rather on the ideas. This book
Karline05 Un brin de lecture
Un cinquième opus qui termine un cycle dans la jeunesse de Merlin. Ce dernier particulièrement rythmé termine bien ce cycle qui aura été assez inégal dans la qualité des 5 tomes qui le composent. Merlin évolue dans le bon sens , il est bien loin le personnage capricieux et égoïste du départ. Ma curiosité me pousse à découvrir le prochain cycle consacré à ce personnage légendaire qui devrait nous arriver début 2015 ( Le dragon d'Avalon ).
Fantasy Book Addict
Sep 15, 2014 Fantasy Book Addict rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

Wings of Merlin is the final book in this series by T.A Barron. I was pleased by the ending of the book and felt that all my questions were answered; it had a very satisfying ending, which is good after reading through 5 books.

The story moves pretty quickly and was quite interesting throughout. I never felt bored during any part of this book. I was always eager to find out the story behind the people loosing their wings, and I can say that I was satisfied! I
Roof Beam Reader
Jan 10, 2010 Roof Beam Reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wings of Merlin is the fifth and final book in T.A. Barron's "Lost Years of Merlin" series. While I found this last of the series more concentrated with cliches - moments reminiscent of The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and The Chronicles of Narnia- I also found it the most touching of the five parts. The characters finally seemed well-developed and interesting; the relationships were truthful and the fight stirred in the many creatures of Fincayra, when facing it's final hour and possibl ...more
Johnny
Jan 18, 2011 Johnny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My friends and family must think I’m immature. They keep giving me books that would normally be classified as YA (Young Adult). I suppose it’s my fault. They know I enjoyed Harry Potter tremendously and that I read a number of Elizabeth Moon’s science-fiction novels about young people coming of age in difficult circumstances. In fact, they know that I read the first four books in the pentalogy known as “The Lost Years of Merlin” back when I was publisher of Dragon magazine. In fact, I converted ...more
Karen
The conclusion of the series The Lost Years of Merlin. I felt it was a satisfying conclusion, all things considered. It had a fair share of sorrow and grief, as well as hope and triumph. I thought the final battle could have been done a little better -- it wasn't as engaging as I would have liked -- but overall I am happy with the whole series and I am definitely glad I read it and would recommend it in a heartbeat to my students. Well done!
Emily Morris
Dec 18, 2013 Emily Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the rather disappointing "The Mirror of Merlin" Barron gets the story back on track in a truly magical conclusion that does justice to the series and makes this an impressive addition to the world of Merlin literature.

The longest night of the year threatens to bring together Fincayra and the Otherworld. At this point Rhita Gawr provides a terrible threat against the land. If this weren't enough, a sword-armed man travles along attacking children.

The story is quick-paced, the writing lively
Ella Grijalva
Oct 22, 2015 Ella Grijalva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about the great wizard Merlin in his lost years. In this story, Merlin is trying to save some orphans. The orphans are being hurt or killed by a guy named Slayer. Slayer has sharp swords for arms instead of hands. Merlin and Slayer fight and fight and finally Merlin finds out that Slayer is his enemy from book 1 - The Lost Years of Merlin.
Corrine
Jul 23, 2015 Corrine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book series lumps many religious worldviews into one, so it seemed a spiritually potentially confusing read for a young audience. It was average as far as how well it was written, and I didn't think the character development of Merlin was very well done. But mostly I didn't care for the one-religion-from-all-religions presentation.
Céline FrenchAlps
I felt quite bored reading this tome and I definitely think that the fourth and the fifth tome should have been one book : it took too long ( 2 books) when there was not much action. The end of the fourth tome became interesting, so is also the end of the fifth one.
In this tome, Merlin prepares for the final battle with Rhita Gawr, knowing that it will be the end of his world.
Now, waiting for the beginning of a new cycle.
Natasha
Josy
Mar 21, 2016 Josy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lindsey Meyer
Dec 20, 2012 Lindsey Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the rest of the series, I really liked this fifth installment. Although I can see how this book was originally intended to be the final volume. Now I'm quite curious to see what adventures lie in store for Merlin on the isle of Britannia.

The ending was bittersweet and though it worked and I certainly saw the necessity of the path Barron had to take with his characters. I suppose if things had to work out in that sense for a particular reason, his choices were the best way to go about that.

T
Emily
When people watch a good movie or read a good book, some beg and pray for a sequel. Usually, the sequel is disappointing since the story was planned to end there and a continuum is forced out to keep the money rolling in. Thus, a sequel is usually much different, and often worse, than the original. That’s the good thing about series, especially long ones. They keep the reader satisfied for a very long while until the end. The Lost Years of Merlin is no exception. While each book is nearly the sa ...more
Aleina
Feb 25, 2016 Aleina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, wishlist
I know I've read this and I know I was super addicted to reading this! I can't remember everything about it, but I do remember that battle near the end and Man was that amazing!! The ending is enough to stir up memories that confirm my belief in reading this and thus I must say, I highly suggest reading this series!
Mycoton32
Jul 18, 2014 Mycoton32 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
17/20
En bref, un cinquième tome qui à mon gout est le meilleur de ce premier cycle, on ne s'ennuie pas et Merlin prend ses responsabilités à cœur. J'ai apprécié de le voir évoluer et je me demande à présent ce que la suite va nous réserver !

Roma Abrenio
Aug 16, 2014 Roma Abrenio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring book. It's like reading Narnia. It's like i've lost a friend. Like I don't want to read another book ever again. Like I don't want to move on. It's that great.
Eric Evans
Nov 12, 2015 Eric Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An end to a very good YA series. This book has Merlin deal with some pretty deep issues and at the end he faces his hardest challenge to date. This was my favorite of the series.
Jayme Barnard
Aug 28, 2015 Jayme Barnard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
while disappointed by the battle, the rest of the book was quite enjoyable despite tragedy and goodbyes. I look forward to reading the other books TA Barron has written about Merlin.
Danny epic
I liked the book no doubt, but it was slight confusing. Possibly for rushing true it. But i should read it agen.
Lydie Blaizot
Pour la fin de la première partie du cycle de Merlin, je m'attendais à beaucoup mieux. Quel ennui !

What's The Name o...: SOLVED. swords for arms [s] 7 189 May 10, 2015 09:58PM
  • I Am Mordred
  • King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy, #3)
  • Sword of the Rightful King
  • The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight (The Squire's Tales, #6)
  • Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom
  • The Arkadians
  • Lancelot Du Lethe
  • King Arthur's Daughter
  • Grail Prince
  • Goblins in the Castle
  • The Mammoth Book of Merlin
  • Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Flying Dutchman, #1)
  • Grail (The Pendragon Cycle, #5)
T.A. Barron grew up in Colorado ranch country and traveled widely as a Rhodes Scholar. He is the winner of the de Grummond Medallion for “lifetime contribution to the field of children’s and young adult literature” and many other awards. T. A. Barron is the author of more than 30 highly acclaimed books, many of which are international bestsellers. They include The Lost Years of Merlin (now being d ...more
More about T.A. Barron...

Merlin (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Lost Years (Merlin Saga, #1)
  • The Seven Songs (Merlin Saga, #2)
  • The Raging Fires (Merlin Saga, #3)
  • The Mirror of Fate (Merlin Saga, #4)
  • The Dragon of Avalon (Merlin Saga, #6)
  • Doomraga's Revenge (Merlin Saga, #7)
  • Ultimate Magic (Merlin Saga, #8)
  • The Great Tree of Avalon (Merlin Saga, #9)
  • Shadows on the Stars (Merlin Saga, #10)
  • The Eternal Flame (Merlin Saga, #11)