Start by marking “Over Achievement” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Over Achievement

John Eliot

Over Achievement

"As Dr. Eliot has discovered through years of cutting-edge research in cognitive neuroscience and real-world coaching, techniques such as goal-setting, relaxation, visualization, stress management, and flow just don't work for most people. He's proven that at high levels of business, medicine, entertainment, and sports, relaxing when the pressure is on is the wrong way to ...more
Published (first published October 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Over Achievement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over Achievement

Matthew Lp
Invaluable insights. Long-winded in the second half. Everyone in the world should read the chapter on dreams.

1. During performance, empty your mind and focus wordlessly on what you are doing. Thoughts, even those regarding what your performance, will rob valuable resources from your performing mind.
1a. Still, thoughtful training is valuable as preparation.
2. Feelings of pressure, stress, and butterflies in your stomach signal the arousal of the sympathetic nervous system. It's arousal will enh
Suhrob
Apr 29, 2015 Suhrob rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To quote the book blurb: "And all utterly, hopelessly, wrong."

Basic recipe: Eliot selects a few super-achievers, finds they do X, so if you do X you'll become a super-achiever. But no worries, there are several other types of grievous mistakes.

So yes, this is a fantastic book. But only if you use it to teach about logical fallacies. Despite its claim of scientificness (and boasting with the "PhD") it contains no real references, but a ton of sport-anecdotes.

Avoid!

Gala Balaguer
Jul 04, 2014 Gala Balaguer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Awesome. Inspires an interesting change of perspective: when nervous, don't calm down. "Everything your body does to you when the pressure is on is for good performance". To calm oneself down in high-stress situations is to disarm oneself of optimum-performance fight mode. Trust your self, your skills, your dreams, and do it. Focus on the task at hand and release the need to control the outcome... Be clear on what you want to accomplish, and go for it. Waste no time calculating every step- trust ...more
Greg Little
Jan 07, 2013 Greg Little rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all-time favorites. Channel your inner-squirrel to tap into your true ability to kick butt. There is a difference between training mode and performance. When it's time to perform, the time for training is over. You must trust the training you've already done, and just do it.
Harish B
Jul 07, 2016 Harish B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow is the word I would use to describe this book. Very inspiring and very bold take on performance beyond ordinary. A must read for ambitious folks.
Phillip
Dr. Eliot's "Overachievement" is just the thing to read on the eave of one's 50th birthday. For me, the past few months have been a time of reflection about the things I have done and the things I want to accomplish in order to make my 50s the best decade of my life. With the desire to do things I was attracted to this book written by performance (in business, sports, entertainment, etc.) trainer Dr. John Eliot of the neuroscience department of Rice University.

Eliot challenges the reader to disc
Sandeep
Sep 01, 2013 Sandeep rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolute must read if you want to maximize your potential and be at top of your game. I was blown away when John Eliot explains his research on why goal setting, relaxation, visualization, stress management, and flow just don’t work for most people. He offers counterintuitive and unconventional concepts which he calls "Definitely Put All Your Eggs in One Basket," "Think Like a Squirrel," and "Butterflies Are a Good Thing"—that teaches you to thrive on pressure and not just endure it ...more
Ninakix
Sep 12, 2010 Ninakix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2010, favorites
When I was in high school and ski racing, I used to refer to this book jokingly as my "bible." I didn't feel a lot of the other books on sports psychology really got it right, and didn't make me preform better. When I started reading this book, I realized it was a continuation of a lot of the ideas that my coach and I had been discussing. A lot of the newer sports psychology I read about seems to align with many of the ideas in this book. I found it really helpful to read and consider, especiall ...more
dasist winter
Feb 12, 2013 dasist winter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellence starts with the state of one's mind, and the points laid out in Overachievement are simple, to the point, no nonsense, and poignant. The author's voice is positive, encouraging, and inspiring as well. I felt I could put into practice what I read without feeling overwhelmed or confused. I appreciated the plethora of examples in this book, but I must admit, I got lost with all the sports references. I know nothing about baseball, golf, and football so I had to rely on context to make se ...more
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro Logros extraordinarios, de John Eliot.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: habilidades directivas, gestión del tiempo y técnicas de productividad.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro Logros extraordinarios, La nueva ciencia de trabajar menos y rendir más: Logros extraordinarios
Elisabeth Sepulveda
This book does well to eliminate false, yet commonly-held ideas referencing peak performance; from the waves of sickeningly redundant self-improvement maxims, Eliot pinpoints the most effective frameworks to function in. The ideas can be distilled and skimmed (and still fall into the almost-cheesy category at times), but overall, one of the better books on achievement.
Becca
Jan 23, 2008 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This is a great book! The mentality that this book talks about applies to everything from business to sports to every day life. It's about doing the things that make you uncomfortable and going the extra distance to be great at whatever it is you do. I definitely recommend this one!
Eliot Burdett
Mar 23, 2013 Eliot Burdett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books, pn50
Great book on the science of performance. Breaks down how the brain functions under pressure and how high performers execute.
Randy
May 15, 2012 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book that talks about how overachievers break from the crowd, and how conventional wisdom keeps us
Sambasivan
Dec 04, 2015 Sambasivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Operate with a trusting mindset as a routine. Dream big and catch you will. Do not be afraid to fail. Set yourself big hairy audacious goals. You will overachieve as a routine.

Go grab the book.
Lisette
so far so good. interesting. it is about how you need to change the way you think about pressure, learn how to make it work to your advantage.
Chris
Nov 16, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely inspiring. By Dr. John Eliot of Rice University. Want to know how Tiger Woods is different than you? Read on.
Eohlson
Apr 22, 2010 Eohlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't even begin to describe how awesome this book is. I've read it twice and will probably read it again within a year.
Allysworld
Feb 18, 2010 Allysworld rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly an Awesome book with interesting ideas. Kinda *self-help*ish at times, but overall some interesting insights, and well worth the read.
Mark Anthony Migrino
Mark Anthony Migrino rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Robin Soewanto
Robin Soewanto rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2016
Kyinc
Kyinc rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2007
John
John rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Michael Rogan
Michael Rogan rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2015
Jay Bobzin
Jay Bobzin rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Franco Arda
Franco Arda rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2011
Sacha Chua
Sacha Chua rated it liked it
May 09, 2009
Johny Bungallon
Johny Bungallon rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Kathleen
Mar 18, 2010 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh, it didn't inspire me to overachieve.
Kristen Ruiz
My work motto.
Bennett
Bennett rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2007
H
H marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2007
Dennis Jansen
Dennis Jansen rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2008
Kristie
Kristie marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2008
Rob Hinckley
Rob Hinckley rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2008
Jessica Owensby
Jessica Owensby rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2008
Brian Johnson
Brian Johnson rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2008
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2009
lindn
lindn marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2009
cchrissyy
cchrissyy rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2009
Tito Rodi
Tito Rodi rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2009
Jayce O'Neal
Jayce O'Neal rated it liked it
May 28, 2009
Sebastian
Sebastian rated it really liked it
May 29, 2009
Stephen Jungmann
Stephen Jungmann rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Jen
Jen rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2009
Thomas Knoll
Thomas Knoll marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2009
Michael Bruder
Michael Bruder marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2009
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2009
Jane Dugger
Jane Dugger marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2009
David Peters
David Peters rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2009
  • The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
  • You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • Management of the Absurd
  • Maximum Achievement: Strategies and Skills that Will Unlock Your Hidden Powers to Succeed
  • Radical Honesty : How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth
  • The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read: The Simple, Stress-Free Way to Reach Your Investment Goals
  • The Irresistible Offer: How to Sell Your Product or Service in 3 Seconds or Less
  • The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE
  • The Other 90%: How to Unlock Your Vast Untapped Potential for Leadership and Life
  • It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Nerve: Poise Under Pressure, Serenity Under Stress, and the Brave New Science of Fear and Cool
  • Unleash the Warrior Within: Develop the Focus, Discipline, Confidence and Courage You Need to Achieve Unlimited Goals
  • Positive Intelligence: Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential and How You Can Achieve Yours
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • Personal Development for Smart People: The Conscious Pursuit of Personal Growth
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • The Brand Called You: The Ultimate Personal Branding Handbook to Transform Anyone into an Indispensable Brand

“Musicians, like golfers, have to put their minds in the right place – trusting, confident, enjoying the pressure, being in present. And so forth. Otherwise, no amount of practice or “Time management” will make them better. The same is true in all professions: if you’re stuck in the Training Mindset, evaluating yourself, or thinking in the past or future, you will not perform up to your potential. You will waste a lot of time, be an inefficient performer, and likely assume you need to manage your time better. In reality you need to manage your thinking better. ” 4 likes