Start by marking “Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)” as Want to Read:
Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)

Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  45,222 ratings  ·  4,280 reviews
How do you defy destiny?

Published May 31st 2011 by HarperTeen (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Starcrossed, please sign up.

Sierra I am not an expect in Greek mythology, but I did study it in high school. As far as I know, the names and powers of the mythological figures are…moreI am not an expect in Greek mythology, but I did study it in high school. As far as I know, the names and powers of the mythological figures are correct. Their physical descriptions are up for interpretation. The main element of mythology in this novel is the Trojan war. Parts of the storyline like the fates and the talismans of specific gods/goddess are factually correct. The curse is made up by the author based on events in Greek mythology.(less)
Sierra Yes! The plot of the book develops around two star crossed lovers, as the name suggests. The two characters love each other but a curse related to…moreYes! The plot of the book develops around two star crossed lovers, as the name suggests. The two characters love each other but a curse related to Greek mythology prevents them from being together. Their relationship is further complicated when they are fed lies which also forces them apart. These two characters try to stay close, and fight their feelings for each other because of the curse and the lies they were told. In the second book, a love triangle develops. This book is not necessarily a romance novel as their are other aspects to the storyline, but the romance between the two main characters is a main element. (less)

Steph Sinclair
Kat Kennedy
Vinaya
**EDIT: I originally gave this book three stars, simply because it is based on Greek mythology, and I've had a love affair with Greek mythology since I was a kid. However, upon further consideration and a sudden recall of my Homer and Bullfinch, I am forced to concede that the Greek Mythology in this book is about as authentic as cranberry sauce in a can. So, only two stars, and I'm STILL being generous!

Two Twifans are walking down the street to the cinema

Fangirl 1: ZOMG, I h8 steffie meyer! Y h
Haleema
Beware of spoilers!

Characters:
So this is where I went slightly balistic. I'm going to talk about the two main freaks of the book.

Helen Hamilton:
description

Grams is a Mary Sue. She's so damn perfect and untouchable that it's difficult for me to relate to her. Tall, beautiful, graceful, heavenly. Hence, her nickname, "Heaven Hamilton." Really? She's quite pathetic really. She whines a lot and can't stand if someone makes fun of her, which reminds me of mostly ever other YA MC. She is also very selfish. Espec
"That's All" Ash
--->WHAT THE HOLY GRENADE WAS THAT?! <---

A damn good book, that’s what that was. ;)

photo tumblrmh4u4ggarz1r31ngf.gif

I am officially a Josephine Angelini fan, that’s for sure. She’s one intelligent, story-choreographic, badass woman! She definitely wrote a book that, from the very first page, has it all:

Romance.

photo tumblr_mc3hg5VpQP1qcy0p7o1_500-1.gif

____________________________________________

Helen

photo 32918a3482ffcc6eb4b1eeb86da9d935.jpg

Helen Hamilton has always been different.

She’s workin’ her way up to being 5’11 (
Cait
Blacky *Romance Addict*

This is a story of an impossible love and two people destined to repeat history...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Wanna know who I loved most in the book?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I was never a fan of Helen and Paris, dunno why, and in this book the main couple certainly didn't change my mind.
I liked Hector the best, he is an amazing character and I wish HE was the main one instead of Paris, but oh well, can't have everything :(

The world building

Well, like I said, the main story here is the Trojan war about to repeat itself, and Paris+Helen's tragic lo
Krys

I hate to say this but I am going to be tearing this one apart. I think I'm the first person to write a negative review for Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini on the entirety of the internet. But that said, here goes nothing.

This book did nothing for me. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And here's why.

Starcrossed is set on Nantucket island and features the shy, willowy Helen as she gears up for the first day of her junior year of high school. She and her father live alone and she has a job and a best
Demo

Genres: YA, mythology, romance, paranormal
Themes: friendship, love, destiny
POV: 3rd person and female
Pacing: fast
Its best element: the mythology

description

This review is very personal and ‘in my opinion.’

Somehow, I knew I wasn’t going to love Starcrossed. I kept, for the past two year, passing by it, at the library, and never actually borrowing it. Why? Well, I do like books with gorgeous covers but, t
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Kristi
Greek Mythology! YAY!

Starcrossed is completely addicting.... I read these 400 some pages in one afternoon, because I simply could not stop.

I don't know it if was because I found the story so addicting or if it was because I was enchanted by the cast of characters. Either way Starcrossed was an unforgettable read. Helen is a normal teenager, well as normal as a teenage demigod is. I like that Helen knew she was different, but didn't exactly know what that meant. This wasn't a story where the cha
Zoë Marriott
THE BLURB:

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is — no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're
Amy Plum
WOW!!! I really loved this book. Just finished it a few hours ago, and my mind keeps dragging me back to go over one detail or another. I love characters whose personalities aren't clear-cut black or white - ones who are motivated by both good and evil. And Josie's addition of the Furies makes this possible.

I love the fact that she takes ideas from ancient literature and molds them into something that works well in a contemporary story. Placing the story on the island of Nantucket is pure geniu
Kristi-The Book Faery
Starcrossed is not your typical girl meets boy they fall in love and defeat the bad guy together. No, it’s much much MORE. I absolutely adored this book! I was left thinking about it long after I finished this enthralling story that entwines Greek mythology and modern day times so flawlessly and with such vivid accuracy I almost question if Ms. Angelini had witnessed the Gods-and all that that entails-herself.

Helen has lived her entire life on Nantucket Island, she’s always known she was differe
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
The first time I read this book, I just threw it down 50 pages in in disgust. I absolutely hated the initial pages of the book. Helen was insipid. Despite there being no clear description of her, I could tell that she was going to be another of those I-am-so-pretty-but-I-just-can't-see-it type of girl. Well, she is, and she is so typically Mary Sue, but upon a rereading, the entire book is so well-written and its portrayal of mythology so well-explained and creative that I am so glad I gave this ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
BO-RING.

This is easily on Parr with Twilight, Fallen and the Selection. Utter tripe. It was a good idea but the execution was painful and uninspiring.

I wanted to grab Helen and shake her by the shoulders screaming "GO BACK TO NURSERY YOU SPOILT, PETULANT LITTLE CHILD!" She was so immature it was infuriating. Oh, and she's a special Mary Sue too. The most beautiful, the most powerful, the fastest, the freaking best at everything and INDESTRUCTIBLE. Seriously. Now let me go puke...

The characters,
Katherine
WOW. Nemůžu. Uvěřit. Že. Jsem. To. Opravdu. DOČETLA!

description

Zasloužím si medaili, protože Proroctví mě stálo hodně pevné nervy a tunu zmrzliny navrch. :D

Vzkaz pro osobu, která mi TOHLETOTO doporučila:
Milá Maťo, jestli se my dvě někdy potkáme... domů se vrátíš skrz poštu .. a bude to spousta balíčků. Poštovné mi za to stojí! :*

Vzkaz pro ty, co TOHLETOTO přirovnávají k Percymu Jacksonovi:

Amber
Very very good. I was unsure when I started it, having received a proof to read before publication, but a few chapters in and I was hooked!
Angelini's use of Greek mythology adds a new spin to the relatively saturated 'Supernatural Romance' Genre that has suddenly exploded in teenage fiction. Helen and Lucas' cursed love story is touching and worth the read.
Vi Vi
Mar 08, 2010 Vi Vi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm getting this out of the library first, because I'm iffy about it. It seems like it could be interesting or just more angsty teen romance fair which I've honestly had enough of. But I'm holding out because it involves the Trojan War. Please dear god Josephine, don't do to greek mythology what Stephenie Meyer did to vampires.

I love Homer, so if this is just the Hot Topic/CW Network/Gossip Girl/Twilight version of the Iliad, I will honestly slit my stuffed animal's throat.
Teryna90
hercules photo: hades hadesonfire.gif
Questa è l'espressione migliore che esprime il mio attuale stato d'animo. Questo libro è stato orribile e per rendere l'idea mi sono recata velocemente sul sito dei sinonimi e contrari.
Orribile - orrendo, terribile, tremendo, spaventoso, terrificante, agghiacciante, atroce, raccapricciante, efferato , ma forse non rende l'idea meglio cercare i sinonimi di Orrido orrendo, orribile, terribile, tremendo, spaventoso, terrificante, agghiacciante, atroce, raccapricciante, efferato . Penso di
Lamia
This can also be seen at The Book Eater

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

I was so very excited to read this. I basically pounced on the galley as soon as it was available.

I'm going to preface this by saying that this review is subjective. I think a lot of people will like this book. It just... Wasn't for me.

Throughout the whole thing, I kept finding similarities to Twilight. Helen, the narrator, is shy and extremely introverted - like Bella. She's gorgeous, but doesn't suspect a thing - like Bella. She
Sam
Read more of my reviews at Falling Books!

Starcrossed is a book full of fun and action. It's an emotional rollercoaster. It will make you laugh, smile, cry and all the other complicated emotions that I can't explain. Josephine Angelini has created an exciting and dangerous world full of demigods and forbidden love that you can't get enough of.

Are you tired of reading about Vampires, Wolves, Fairies, Witches and Angels? Then Starcrossed is for you! If you think you know all the paranormal beings
Merary
Colleen Houck
If you like Greek mythology then this book should be right up your alley. Helen is a great heroine and Lucas is pretty amazing as well. ;) The Fates creep me out. I can totally picture them too which doesn't help with the creep factor. I was really liking Castor as the bad guy so now I wonder what Josie has in store for the next book. Can someone be even worse than that? Shudder. My favorite part? The flying. You'll see.
Gabriella ♡
1.5

Il libro più insulso che io abbia mai letto. E mi pento di averlo comprato cartaceo, quando potevo benissimo prenderlo in ebook e eliminarlo una volta finito.
Non leggerò assolutamente i seguiti (figuriamoci!) e quindi non penso che affronterò nemmeno la sua altra trilogia. Questa esperienza mi è bastata e avanzata.
Metà delle idee di questo libro sono buone, ma sono sviluppate malissimo. Per non parlare dello stile dell'autrice. È lo stile di una bambina di 10 anni.
I dialoghi sono incoerenti e
Alésia
Okay! So, I'm pretty stoked! I literally had a heart-attack in this book - well it felt like it!

So, this book was frustrating, intense, fun, fast, enchanting, romantic and MYSTERIOUS! I can easily say that I was addicted. I read it on a planeride from Charles De Gaulle in Paris to JFK and I was so surprised to find that the who-knows-how-many-hours planeride literally felt like a minute! Stoked!

This book was captivating from the very first chapter - no kidding! And I really loved how all the cha
Blythe
I was going to give this an extremely generous two stars, but then the last hundred pages happened. (And I came to my senses and realized that this book is freaking awful.)

Review to (eventually) come.
Nicole - Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die-
How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to
YA Buddy Readers'...: Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1) by Josephine Angelini - Starting April 1st 2015 16 28 Jun 17, 2015 07:28PM
One Book, One Wee...: Starcrossed Series 1 7 Oct 07, 2014 08:48AM
Addicted to YA: Starcrossed 31 338 Aug 26, 2014 03:30PM
Addicted to YA: Starcrossed Quotes 3 173 Aug 22, 2014 12:12PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini / Start Date: July 22 13 28 Jul 30, 2014 02:38PM
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!! 6 48 Jul 15, 2014 05:54PM
  • Hereafter (Hereafter, #1)
  • The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax (The Mephisto Covenant, #1)
  • Everneath (Everneath, #1)
  • Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)
  • Shattered Souls (Souls, #1)
  • The Goddess Legacy (Goddess Test, #2.5)
  • Deity (Covenant, #3)
  • Wildefire (Wildefire, #1)
  • Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2)
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
  • Angel (Angel, #1)
  • A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful, #1)
  • Die for Me (Revenants, #1)
  • Airborne (Airborne Saga, #1)
  • Immortal Beloved (Immortal Beloved, #1)
  • Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1)
  • A Touch Mortal (A Touch Trilogy, #1)
Josephine Angelini is a Massachusetts native and the youngest of eight siblings. She graduated from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in theater, with a focus on the classics. She now lives in Los Angeles with her husband.
More about Josephine Angelini...

Starcrossed (3 books)
  • Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
  • Goddess (Starcrossed, #3)
Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2) Goddess (Starcrossed, #3) Trial by Fire (Worldwalker, #1) Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5) Göttlich-Trilogie (Göttlich, #1-3)

“I don’t care how hard being together is, nothing is worse than being apart.” 629 likes
“She decided that if Lucas was gay then she was going to have to get a sex change operation. He would be so worth it.” 536 likes