Start by marking “I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean” as Want to Read:
I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean

I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,774 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews
When a giant squid takes inventory of all of the creatures in the ocean, he realizes that he's way bigger than most of them! Of course, there are bigger things lurking around . . . but maybe this giant squid with a giant touch of hubris doesn't really care? First-time author-illustrator Kevin Sherry is sure to garner fans of all sizes for his perfect-for-preschool read-alo ...more
Published May 10th 2007 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean

Jenna
Jun 02, 2015 Jenna rated it really liked it
*Snort.* I'm bigger than this barcode!

The kids really liked this one and I agree. The drawings were very clean, clear, and easy to follow. I almost wish this book had been designed even larger (sort of like that Actual Size series). My only gripe is that it's rather hard to do sound effects for all the other ocean creatures. Er... glub, glub?
Megan
Feb 02, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing
We've had to check this one out from the library twice since we discovered it. Lachlan likes it that much.
The cartoon style pictures are simple and funny but convey a lot of humor. I love the bravado of the Squid who spends the first many pages of the book telling all of the other creatures in the ocean that he's the biggest thing in the ocean--bigger than you, or him, or her, or that. When he finds himself suddenly swallowed by a whale, his bravado barely flickers before he comes back with a w
Jean
May 28, 2013 Jean rated it it was amazing
If you were a Giant Squid, you might start feeling pretty proud of yourself, too. I mean, long blue tentacles, lovely saucer-like eyes, and such length! You might even get a bit cocky. Start thinking things like: "I'm big. I'm bigger than that crab. I'm bigger than those fish! I'm even bigger than that octopus!!! In fact, I'M THE BIGGEST THING IN THE OCEAN!" But pride cometh before a fall, my friend.

Still, even when this Giant Squid finds out that maybe, just maybe, he's not the biggest thing i
Saralyn
Mar 03, 2015 Saralyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Baby loves this book. We've read it over and over and over. Cute pictures. Funny book. Optimistic!
Katie Farver
This book begins with a giant squid introducing himself by saying “I’m a GIANT squid and I’m BIG.” (Sherry, 2007, p. 2). In the pages that follow the giant squid compares his size to a variety of ocean animals, like a group of shrimp, crabs, sea turtles, and many others. For example, the giant squid says, “I’m bigger than these shrimp.” (Sherry, 2007, p. 3).This pattern repeats itself throughout the book until at the very end the giant squid is eaten by a whale that is even larger than himself. ...more
Kevin Doyle
Apr 21, 2014 Kevin Doyle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: boys or girls, any age, especially if they love the ocean
When you are a giant squid, you are - possibly - the biggest thing in the ocean. So naturally, you go around telling everyone. If you do that enough then you'll probably (**SPOILER ALERT**) get eaten by a whale. But, through the power of positive thinking, you then realize you are the biggest thing inside the whale!

This is a short, simple, cute book. I'm not sure if confidence and positive thinking are the messages we are supposed to get from the story, but we parents can easily spin it that way
Jessica
Feb 06, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
At the last minute, I found out that the school family literacy night I was attending had an "Under the Sea" theme, so I quickly grabbed some sea-themed picture books. I'm The Biggest Thing in the Ocean skews younger than the crowd I had (they were K-3) but it still works well. It's about a giant squid who thinks he's the biggest thing in the ocean ("bigger than these clams!" and "bigger than these shrimp!") but then, in a wordless spread, gets swallowed by a whale (eliciting a few delighted gas ...more
Kristen
Aug 06, 2012 Kristen rated it it was ok
While the illustrations are great and the overall story line is cute, I'm not really sure who the audience for this is. It was enjoyed in story time, although I'm not sure the preschoolers got the end joke. And older kids (who would get the joke) might find the simplistic text a bit boring. At the end of story time, the kids picked up all the other books I brought and looked them over but showed no interest in this one. I wouldn't go out of my way to read it again.
Mike
Jul 18, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing
The giant squid is big. Very big.

She's very proud of how big she is. She even thinks that she's the biggest thing in the ocean - bigger than shrimp, clams, and crabs. Even bigger than jellyfish, turtles, and octopodes.

But she's forgotten that everything has to eat and that even giant squid have predators. Along comes a sperm whale and gobbles her up. Now worries though, optimist that she is, the squid realizes that she's the biggest thing in the whale!

Kevin Sherry's delightfully playful I'm the
Hayden
Apr 06, 2010 Hayden rated it it was amazing
Another recommendation from Jane's awesome list of "children's books that bite" on Shelf Talk. Spoiler alert: That squid is pretty big and all but he might not be the biggest thing in the ocean.
Sara
Jan 18, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
Man, this was one of the best story times for excellent books I've done in a long time. Such a perfect perfect book -- few words, GIANT pictures that reach all the way to the back, hilarious punchline -- this was the perfect way to end my fish story time.
Huda
May 18, 2010 Huda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: en-pic-books
Wt's the biggest thing in the ocean?
A squid??
No matter how big u think u r
there will always be something bigger(:
Funny story
Dawn
Apr 25, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing
I think my 10 year old found this more humorous than my six year old. Great fun!
Mhm Storytelling
Jun 22, 2011 Mhm Storytelling rated it really liked it
This book is about an octopus that quickly figures out he is a lot bigger than the other creatures in the ocean. He likes to let everyone he meets know about it, too. But there are other creatures that are bigger than him that he has yet to meet.

Great Features: Fun colors, introduces other creatures in the ocean

Themes/Topics: Ocean, Octopuses, size

Red Flags: None

Opportunity for Interaction: Children can act out differnt ways that certain creatures or fish get around the ocean. They can also look
Kate
Apr 09, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing
If you’re an adult who enjoys clever children’s books, or if you know or even are a child who likes clever books, you will surely enjoy this one. In the vein of Jon Scieszka (and not just because it has a squid in it), this book takes familiar characters and gives them a fresh personality and humor. Squids have never been accused of being particularly funny, but Sherry’s blue giant squid is exactly that, even though he doesn’t necessarily mean to be. The Squid prides himself on being the biggest ...more
Used for Under the Sea Tons of Fun program for 2nd and 3rd graders. This was definitely too young for the 2nd and 3rd graders - it might work better for the preschool crowd; they'd relate better to the repetitive "I'm bigger than this. I'm bigger than that. I'm bigger than this other thing," but I'm not sure they'd get the joke. The illustrations, done by the author, are cute enough and the punchline's fine, but there's just not enough to the book. It ends up feeling slightly boring or like it w ...more
This picture book could work for toddlers discussing size concepts. 'Is the giant squid bigger than these turtles, fish, etc.?' They won't catch onto the humor at the end but preschoolers will. Very little text per page - great for lasting for the attention span of a little one. Full color illustrations in a large, visible book size. Would really work with preschool storytime.
Melanie
Feb 11, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing
This book has been fairly popular at all the libraries I've worked at, but I've never picked it up and read it. Today, though, a copy got turned in that had slight water damage, so I had to read it to see how extensive the damage was. :) I loved it. The giant squid in this book could be best friends with Baby Hocky from The Happy Hocky Family, so it made me happy.
Sarah Herrington
Jun 07, 2014 Sarah Herrington rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book *is* really simple, but I love the bright and colorful illustrations and it has a fun story line. The squid is sure he's the biggest thing in the ocean until (spoiler!), he's swallowed by a whale. At that point, he decides well, he's the biggest thing in the whale's belly. Sounds just like my stubborn, but sweet, little girl (who also loved it!).
Nadia
Apr 21, 2009 Nadia rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a really fun book about a squid who think he's the biggest thing in the ocean. He tries to prove his point by comparing himself to all the animals in the ocean that are smaller than him, like the crab, octopus and turtles. Little does he know that there is an animal bigger than him, a whale, in the ocean which comes and eats him. But then he has the satisfaction of knowing that he is the biggest thing in the whale's stomach when he sees the other animals in there too.
This is a great sto
Melissa
Wiggles: Splish Splash the Big Red Boat
Take a Trip Out on the Sea

All the fish are swimming in the water, swimming in the water, swimming in the water...bubble, bubble, bubble, bubble, splash!
The great big fish...
The little bitty fish...

(Sung to Wheels on the Bus)
The waves on the sea go up and down, up and down, up and down, the waves on the sea go up and down, all day long.

The shark in the sea goes snap, snap, snap...
The fish in the sea go swish swish, swish...
The boats in the sea to toot, toot,
jacky
Jun 23, 2010 jacky rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschoolers, primary schoolers
Monique
Feb 05, 2009 Monique rated it really liked it
This giant squid is sure he's the biggest thing in the ocean. He's bigger than shrimp, clams, jellyfish, a shark (shhhh!) and even an octopus. The illustrations of the squid seem to support his claim because he barely fits within the pages of the book. There's even a fold out, tri-page to show how long his tentacles are and how many types of fish the squid is bigger than. But is he really the biggest thing in the ocean? The squid remains undaunted when he discovers he may not be. Cut-out collage ...more
Kendra Wheeler
Mar 27, 2013 Kendra Wheeler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edre-4870-002
I’m The Biggest Thing in the Ocean is about a squid going around the ocean comparing his size to the other creatures that live in the ocean and being proud that he is the biggest thing in the ocean. The squid soon finds out that he is not the biggest thing in the ocean but will become the biggest thing in the “room.”

This book uses fun cartoon style illustrations that are simple but are full of color. This book lists a lot of different sea creatures that I could incorporate in my lesson.

This boo
Kristy
Sep 10, 2014 Kristy rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Simple, cute book about a squid that is proud to be bigger than everything in the ocean...until a whale swallows him up! Then he's the "biggest thing in the whale." The kids cracked up when they realized that the squid was inside of the whale.

Good for storytime.
Heidi
Ha ha ha! At first, I was a little nervous about how the kids would take this book. But that ending--fabulous. I must try this on a preschool group at some time. See how well they'd do with it. A great choice for a lap-read.

10/24/12 & 10/25/12: Used this as the opener to the BIG things preschool theme. It was great! The kids loved it. I had them use their hands to imitate similar motions of the sea creatures. They loved seeing the squid get swallowed. The parents and the older kids got the e
Reta
Jul 17, 2014 Reta rated it really liked it
I laughed aloud when I got to the last line of this book. My older sister, listening to me read it to her two children laughed too. The kids, well, they didn't get it at first. I'll have to improve my delivery I'm using it in storytime this saturday.
LeAnn Forystek
Apr 09, 2014 LeAnn Forystek rated it really liked it
The story is very cute and yet very simple. It is definitely for a very young age group. The blue squid thinks he is the biggest thing in the ocean is very proud until he gets swallowed by a whale, then he realizes he's the biggest thing in the whale.
Ricci
Jun 07, 2015 Ricci rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
storytime selection -- the squid is pretty much the biggest thing around, but gets a rude awakening when he gets eaten by a big ol' whale -- the spread of the squid's tentacles hanging out of the whale's mouth is just about the funniest thing!
Nathan
I laughed out loud at the ending. Awesome, simple illustrations and a story that is easily followed and keeps you interested. The kids liked the sea creatures, and didn't get the ending so much. Oh well. I'll try again with another group.
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Dinosaur vs. Bedtime