Start by marking “Business for the Common Good: A Christian Vision for the Marketplace” as Want to Read:
Business for the Common Good: A Christian Vision for the Marketplace

Business for the Common Good: A Christian Vision for the Marketplace

Is business just a way to make money? Or can the marketplace a venue for service to others? Scott B. Rae and Kenman L. Wong seek to explore this and other critical business issues from a uniquely Christian perspective, offering up a vision for work and service that is theologically grounded and practically oriented. Among the specific questions they address along the way ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by IVP Academic (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Business for the Common Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Business for the Common Good

Wayne Smith
Sep 27, 2016 Wayne Smith rated it really liked it
The authors of Business for the Common Good clearly state the purpose of the book. They are seeking to explore the understanding of business as a calling. More specifically they state, “Business, we will argue, is a calling to serve the common good through transformational service” (p. 33). However, the ground covered in this work is quite broad.

The writers ground their perspective in the Scriptures by tying their argument to an understanding of work from the Garden of Eden and then discuss the
Donovan Richards
Aug 04, 2011 Donovan Richards rated it really liked it
Another Way of Doing Business

The School of Business and Economics at Seattle Pacific University teaches that the purpose of business is to serve the common good.

This philosophy, titled "Another Way of Doing Business," has, in turn, inspired SBE scholars to research and explore supporting and complementary ideas. As such, Business for the Common Good is the perfect companion to SBE Dean Jeff Van Duzer’s Why Business Matters to God.

Where Van Duzer’s Why Business Matters to God focuses on the theor
Mark Oppenlander
More and more people of Christian faith believe that working in business can be a legitimate calling. But what kind of a calling is it? What are businesspeople being called to do or be? Professors Kenman Wong (Seattle Pacific University) and Scott Rae (Biola) set out to answer that query. (Full disclosure: Dr. Wong and I work in the same academic unit at SPU.)

The book consists of a series of chapters that investigate various aspects of what it means to be a businessperson, teasing out the theolo
Pearlie
Sep 06, 2014 Pearlie rated it it was amazing
I bought this book quite awhile ago but did not have the urge to read it, though I did try. I picked it up again about five days ago and found it a wonderful and much needed read.

It is a part of a larger integration series that attempts to integrate the Christian life to various areas of living. This book deals with the integration with our work and career in the business world.

Its conviction is that "business, from a Christian viewpoint...is a calling to transformational service for the commo
Alyssa Cara
Jun 27, 2013 Alyssa Cara rated it liked it
I read this book as part of an Integrating Faith and Business course required for my M.B.A. Though I am a Christian myself, I believe that a great deal of the ideas suggested in this book would be appealing to those who have no religious preference as well. Many of the thoughts, though stemming from Biblical teachings, reinforce ideas of ethics and morality in business that can be applied to both faith-based and secular institutions. My chief complaint is that several times I found myself ...more
Andy Evans
Andy Evans rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Anthony Koch
Anthony Koch rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Levi Nelson
Levi Nelson rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Garry L. Krum
Garry L. Krum rated it really liked it
May 09, 2015
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Steve Farson
Steve Farson rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Nate Claiborne
Nate Claiborne rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Curtis
Curtis rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2012
Nelly
Nelly rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Kayla Mccormack
Kayla Mccormack rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2012
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jonathan Roberts
Jonathan Roberts marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2012
Maranatha
Maranatha marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013
Eric Anest
Eric Anest marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Kirk Stifle
Kirk Stifle marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Dominik
Dominik marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Joaquin Hernandez
Joaquin Hernandez marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
Jill Risner
Jill Risner marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Judy Madtes
Judy Madtes marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Mike Gastin
Mike Gastin marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Kira
Kira marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Suzanne Coupe
Suzanne Coupe marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Zuba Guylani
Zuba Guylani marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Nate
Nate added it
Jun 19, 2015
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Anthony Greco
Anthony Greco marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Ruthie
Ruthie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Carl Gidley
Carl Gidley marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016