Start by marking “Fruit of the Vine” as Want to Read:
Fruit of the Vine

Fruit of the Vine

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
He must choose between life, land, and love... Set in the panoramic wine country of New York's Finger Lakes region, Fruit of the Vine is a story of environmental conservation, and life, in rural New York State. Jemison "Jem" Loud is a young, string-bean of a vineyard worker who drinks beer with his buddies and bemoans his lot in the small rural town of Sawhorn, New York in ...more
Published April 30th 2011 by Charles River Press (first published April 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fruit of the Vine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fruit of the Vine

The Help by Kathryn StockettWater for Elephants by Sara GruenThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Book Club List
193rd out of 526 books — 776 voters
Return to Me by Kelly MoranAll of Me by Kelly MoranDeadly Secrets by Angel SeferBeach Bum Brett by David D. D'AguannoGran-sdur by Jan Raymond
Great Beach Reads
119th out of 316 books — 352 voters

More lists with this book...

Evangeline Han
May 04, 2011 Evangeline Han rated it it was ok
lost interest in Fruit of the Vine after reading less than a quarter of it. The story contained many descriptions and, while that was good, it became extreme to the point of being over-descriptive. Some parts of the story were also over-explanatory and I quickly lost focus on the main story gist. In addition, I thought that the story needed more colorful characters.

But despite all that, I enjoyed the way Cynthia Kolko fit in the surprises. Surprises always happen to me, and I always enjoy readin
Michael Karpovage
Jul 19, 2011 Michael Karpovage rated it it was amazing
Captivating, entertaining, and humorous! Loved the setting of the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY and how the famous white deer meshed into the storyline. The colorful character descriptions and their dialogue had me laughing out loud at times. As a native of this area the characters were spot on. I was engrossed by this book. I really couldn't put it down. The story moved fast, had unexpected twists of plot, and a very satisfying ending.... a highly recommended read.

-- Michael Karpovage
Author
Jacky He
Jun 10, 2011 Jacky He rated it really liked it
I read this book really quickly because it was so interesting. This book made me think about, and it also made me think. it talks about Jemison "Jem" Loud who is a young,vineyard worker who drinks beer and lives in the small rural town of Sawhorn, New York. His life is simple and laid-back. but that's not for long, when he founds out secrets from his family.
and when he does, he confronts life in a strong way, ready to tackle his future which i found inspirational.
Ellen
May 09, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing
This book was a riot, but it still delved into some pretty deep subjects. It's not often that a book holds your interest, makes you laugh and also makes you think. The writing itself is beautiful at times, and the dialogue is great. I felt like I was eavesdropping at a honky-tonk bar. Our book club is sure to have a lot to talk about when we read this one!
Allison
May 09, 2011 Allison rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Book Clubs
This book was a pageturner. I finished it very fast. I want to read it again because there were a lot of symbols I didn't find the first time. Our bookclub loved it! We are from Upstate New York but this would be a good book for anyone's bookclub because there are a lot of things to talk about.
Cynthia
Apr 13, 2011 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: book clubs, bookclubs, fiction lovers, novel readers, Finger Lakes lovers
A great book club book. It's a page-turner that is fun to read, though filled with lyrical prose and intelligent, well-crafted symbolic references that can spur lively discourse on a variety of subjects.
Kristina Franken
Sep 04, 2012 Kristina Franken rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
Jeri Repp
Sep 28, 2011 Jeri Repp rated it did not like it
Don't bother.
Never could get interested into the characters let alone keep up with them.
Krazyangel
Mar 07, 2012 Krazyangel rated it liked it
It was a good read and hope others enjoy the book too.
Nicole Gauss
Nicole Gauss marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Katya
Katya marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Ivi
Ivi marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Tiffany DeGroff
Tiffany DeGroff marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
V-ann Davis
V-ann Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Brenda Enos
Brenda Enos rated it liked it
May 11, 2015
Lori Voigt
Lori Voigt marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
R I
R I marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Magdalena
Magdalena marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Flannel Berry
Flannel Berry marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Karrie
Karrie rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Pip
Pip marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
  • Exiles
  • Passing Love
  • Coming About
  • The Band of Gypsies
  • His Brother's Baby
  • Impatient with Desire
  • Wanted: Gentleman Bank Robber: The True Story of Leslie Ibsen Rogge, One of the FBI's Most Elusive Criminals
  • The Haunting of Twentieth-Century America
  • Take Me Home
  • The Scroll
  • The Alias
  • Hearts in the Vortex
  • Bittersweet (Bittersweet #1)
  • The Heart Denied
  • Fear and Laundry
  • The Cooper's Wife Is Missing: The Trials Of Bridget Cleary
  • Daddy Was the Black Dahlia Killer: The Identity of America's Most Notorious Serial Murderer--Revealed at Last
  • The Accidental Senator, Vol 1 in the Accidental President , A Political Fable for Our Time
Cynthia Kolko brings her keen ear for dialogue, off-beat sense of humor and penchant for eccentricity to her first novel, Fruit of the Vine. Cynthia enjoys birds, history and winter, and is an accomplished percussionist.
More about Cynthia Kolko...