Start by marking “Fruit of the Vine” as Want to Read:
Fruit of the Vine

Fruit of the Vine

He must choose between life, land, and love... Set in the panoramic wine country of New York's Finger Lakes region, Fruit of the Vine is a story of environmental conservation, and life, in rural New York State. Jemison "Jem" Loud is a young, string-bean of a vineyard worker who drinks beer with his buddies and bemoans his lot in the small rural town of Sawhorn, New York in ...more
Published April 30th 2011 by Charles River Press (first published April 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fruit of the Vine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fruit of the Vine

The Help by Kathryn StockettWater for Elephants by Sara GruenThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Book Club List
561 books — 788 voters
Return to Me by Kelly MoranAll of Me by Kelly MoranDeadly Secrets by Angel SeferBeach Bum Brett by David D. D'AguannoGran-sdur by Jan Raymond
Great Beach Reads
328 books — 360 voters

More lists with this book...

Evangeline Han
May 04, 2011 Evangeline Han rated it it was ok
lost interest in Fruit of the Vine after reading less than a quarter of it. The story contained many descriptions and, while that was good, it became extreme to the point of being over-descriptive. Some parts of the story were also over-explanatory and I quickly lost focus on the main story gist. In addition, I thought that the story needed more colorful characters.

But despite all that, I enjoyed the way Cynthia Kolko fit in the surprises. Surprises always happen to me, and I always enjoy readin
Michael Karpovage
Jul 19, 2011 Michael Karpovage rated it it was amazing
Captivating, entertaining, and humorous! Loved the setting of the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY and how the famous white deer meshed into the storyline. The colorful character descriptions and their dialogue had me laughing out loud at times. As a native of this area the characters were spot on. I was engrossed by this book. I really couldn't put it down. The story moved fast, had unexpected twists of plot, and a very satisfying ending.... a highly recommended read.

-- Michael Karpovage
Author
Jacky He
Jun 10, 2011 Jacky He rated it really liked it
I read this book really quickly because it was so interesting. This book made me think about, and it also made me think. it talks about Jemison "Jem" Loud who is a young,vineyard worker who drinks beer and lives in the small rural town of Sawhorn, New York. His life is simple and laid-back. but that's not for long, when he founds out secrets from his family.
and when he does, he confronts life in a strong way, ready to tackle his future which i found inspirational.
Ellen
May 09, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing
This book was a riot, but it still delved into some pretty deep subjects. It's not often that a book holds your interest, makes you laugh and also makes you think. The writing itself is beautiful at times, and the dialogue is great. I felt like I was eavesdropping at a honky-tonk bar. Our book club is sure to have a lot to talk about when we read this one!
Allison
May 09, 2011 Allison rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Book Clubs
This book was a pageturner. I finished it very fast. I want to read it again because there were a lot of symbols I didn't find the first time. Our bookclub loved it! We are from Upstate New York but this would be a good book for anyone's bookclub because there are a lot of things to talk about.
Cynthia
Apr 13, 2011 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: book clubs, bookclubs, fiction lovers, novel readers, Finger Lakes lovers
A great book club book. It's a page-turner that is fun to read, though filled with lyrical prose and intelligent, well-crafted symbolic references that can spur lively discourse on a variety of subjects.
Kristina Franken
Sep 04, 2012 Kristina Franken rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2011
Lisa A. Fogel
Lisa A. Fogel rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
Brenda Enos
Brenda Enos rated it liked it
May 11, 2015
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Cyndi
Cyndi rated it liked it
May 27, 2011
Neveno0o
Neveno0o rated it really liked it
May 09, 2011
Karrie
Karrie rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Suzanne Tucker
Suzanne Tucker rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Joyce Mitchell
Joyce Mitchell rated it really liked it
May 20, 2011
Dean
Dean rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2011
Kim McHughes
Kim McHughes rated it really liked it
May 28, 2011
An Oldie
An Oldie rated it liked it
May 04, 2011
Max Knickerbocker
Max Knickerbocker rated it really liked it
May 30, 2011
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2011
Sarah rated it did not like it
Sep 03, 2011
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was ok
May 08, 2011
Lisa Voisen
Lisa Voisen rated it liked it
May 29, 2011
Jeri Repp
Apr 25, 2011 Jeri Repp rated it did not like it
Don't bother.
Never could get interested into the characters let alone keep up with them.
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Kelli
Kelli rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2011
Loretta
Loretta rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2012
Krazyangel
Mar 07, 2012 Krazyangel rated it liked it
It was a good read and hope others enjoy the book too.
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2011
  • Exiles
  • Passing Love
  • Coming About
  • Final Mercy
  • Bittersweet (Bittersweet #1)
  • Heart Stealer
  • Sword
  • His Brother's Baby
  • War of Words: A True Tale of Newsprint and Murder
  • These Dark Things (Captain Natalia Monte, #1)
  • All That You Are
  • On The Volcano
  • The God Virus
  • Third
  • Annexed (The Refuge Trilogy, #1)
  • Gorgeous Lies
  • The Alias
  • An African Affair
Cynthia Kolko brings her keen ear for dialogue, off-beat sense of humor and penchant for eccentricity to her first novel, Fruit of the Vine. Cynthia enjoys birds, history and winter, and is an accomplished percussionist.
More about Cynthia Kolko...