Start by marking “Fruit of the Vine” as Want to Read:
Fruit of the Vine

Fruit of the Vine

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  9 reviews
He must choose between life, land, and love... Set in the panoramic wine country of New York's Finger Lakes region, Fruit of the Vine is a story of environmental conservation, and life, in rural New York State. Jemison "Jem" Loud is a young, string-bean of a vineyard worker who drinks beer with his buddies and bemoans his lot in the small rural town of Sawhorn, New York in ...more
Published April 30th 2011 by Charles River Press (first published April 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fruit of the Vine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fruit of the Vine

The Help by Kathryn StockettWater for Elephants by Sara GruenThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldThe Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
Book Club List
170th out of 419 books — 658 voters
The Whip by Karen KondazianReturn to Me by Kelly MoranCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareFrostbite by Richelle MeadShadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Books that should be made into a movie/tv show
378th out of 987 books — 1,191 voters

More lists with this book...

Evangeline Han
lost interest in Fruit of the Vine after reading less than a quarter of it. The story contained many descriptions and, while that was good, it became extreme to the point of being over-descriptive. Some parts of the story were also over-explanatory and I quickly lost focus on the main story gist. In addition, I thought that the story needed more colorful characters.

But despite all that, I enjoyed the way Cynthia Kolko fit in the surprises. Surprises always happen to me, and I always enjoy readin
Michael Karpovage
Captivating, entertaining, and humorous! Loved the setting of the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY and how the famous white deer meshed into the storyline. The colorful character descriptions and their dialogue had me laughing out loud at times. As a native of this area the characters were spot on. I was engrossed by this book. I really couldn't put it down. The story moved fast, had unexpected twists of plot, and a very satisfying ending.... a highly recommended read.

-- Michael Karpovage
Author
Jacky He
I read this book really quickly because it was so interesting. This book made me think about, and it also made me think. it talks about Jemison "Jem" Loud who is a young,vineyard worker who drinks beer and lives in the small rural town of Sawhorn, New York. His life is simple and laid-back. but that's not for long, when he founds out secrets from his family.
and when he does, he confronts life in a strong way, ready to tackle his future which i found inspirational.
Ellen
This book was a riot, but it still delved into some pretty deep subjects. It's not often that a book holds your interest, makes you laugh and also makes you think. The writing itself is beautiful at times, and the dialogue is great. I felt like I was eavesdropping at a honky-tonk bar. Our book club is sure to have a lot to talk about when we read this one!
Allison
May 09, 2011 Allison rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Book Clubs
This book was a pageturner. I finished it very fast. I want to read it again because there were a lot of symbols I didn't find the first time. Our bookclub loved it! We are from Upstate New York but this would be a good book for anyone's bookclub because there are a lot of things to talk about.
Cynthia
Apr 13, 2011 Cynthia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: book clubs, bookclubs, fiction lovers, novel readers, Finger Lakes lovers
A great book club book. It's a page-turner that is fun to read, though filled with lyrical prose and intelligent, well-crafted symbolic references that can spur lively discourse on a variety of subjects.
Kristina Franken
I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
Jeri Repp
Don't bother.
Never could get interested into the characters let alone keep up with them.
Krazyangel
It was a good read and hope others enjoy the book too.
Lori Voigt
Lori Voigt marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
R I
R I marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Magdalena
Magdalena marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Flannel Berry
Flannel Berry marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Pip
Pip marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
John Kraus
John Kraus marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Laura Metheney
Laura Metheney marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Anna Screengazer
Anna Screengazer marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013
Ashley Mosley
Ashley Mosley marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
Breanne
Breanne marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Elizabeth Randisi
Elizabeth Randisi marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
  • Exiles
  • Passing Love
  • Impatient with Desire
  • All That You Are
  • Second Sight (The Admiral's Elite, #1)
  • New World of Indigenous Resistance (Open Media)
  • Heart Stealer
  • The Devil's Cat (The Devil, #4)
  • The Seventh Stone
  • The Big Five for Life
  • Daddy Was the Black Dahlia Killer: The Identity of America's Most Notorious Serial Murderer--Revealed at Last
  • The God Virus
  • The Accidental Senator, Vol 1 in the Accidental President , A Political Fable for Our Time
  • Sword
  • Broken Promise (The Brotherhood Series #2)
  • The Bat Scientists (Scientists in the Field)
  • Spiral Jetta: A Road Trip through the Land Art of the American West
  • Memoirs of the Bathtub Psychic - The True Story of a Clairvoyant and Her Dogs
Cynthia Kolko brings her keen ear for dialogue, off-beat sense of humor and penchant for eccentricity to her first novel, Fruit of the Vine. Cynthia enjoys birds, history and winter, and is an accomplished percussionist.
More about Cynthia Kolko...
What You Don't Know Now What You Don't Know Now: A romantic coming of age novel.