Start by marking “From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)” as Want to Read:
From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)

From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings #3)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,320 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
Achan steps into his role as Crown Prince and prepares for war. But war against whom? Could Esek still be alive? Has Lord Nathak taken Esek’s place? Or is the mysterious Hadad the true enemy Achan must confront?

Vrell has her own agenda of serving Prince Oren as a healer, but when she is stormed and lost to the Veil, Achan does all he can to bring her back. His conversatio
Published March 30th 2011 by Marcher Lord Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about From Darkness Won, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Darkness Won

Shantelle
EEP! *huggles book* Achan and Vrell! <3 And this whole, epic story!! I love it!!! From Darkness Won concluded this series beautifully. The entire ending was sooo perfect, and one of my favorite parts! It almost made me cry it was so sweet and happy and gorgeous. ^_^

As for the book as a whole, there was a lot of action and battles. Fighting. Running. Imprisonment. Digging out the truth; that sort of thing. It starts soon after where Book 2 leaves off, and we have Vrell still continuing her cha
Panda Incognito
This is one of those books that is just so awesome that I do not consider myself capable of adequately reviewing it, and yet I feel that I do a disservice to not write a review for a book I love this much. Thus, after reading this book for the second time, I am undertaking to write in no particular order five reasons why this is my favorite book ever.

1. Witty banter.

This book has some of the most amusing dialogue of any I have ever read, and I routinely have to set it down and just laugh over t
Gabriela Paige
Sep 21, 2015 Gabriela Paige rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I must say that this book had the perfect ending. It was just perfect. Such a fantastic ending to a spectacular trilogy. I hope to read more by Jill Williamson soon.

Achan has finally stepped up to his role as the Crown Prince. But so many questions lay still unanswered. Is Esek still alive? What is Lord Nathak hiding? Is the man called Hadad the real enemy? Achan just hopes that his army will be able to take Armorguard. Vrell has decided to follow her own destiny and work as a healer in Prince O
Rebekah Rodda
Sep 10, 2016 Rebekah Rodda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, christian
A thoroughly satisfying conclusion to a thrilling fantasy series. This got my heart pounding whilst my head was enthralled with the level of detail displayed here. The world-building is thorough and enjoyable (I loved the use of "Pig snout" and "Blazes").

This is the book where the final battle against Esek and the Hadad takes place. To assist with this old characters pop back into the story. I was glad to see Noam again! Part way through I wanted to throttle Vrell but as the story progressed I
Riannon
Jul 24, 2012 Riannon rated it liked it
I didn't think From Darkness Won was as good as the one that preceded it. It is still a pretty good book in its own right, but the action wasn't as exciting, the book is not as cohesive as a whole, the characters' going their separate ways interrupts the flow of the novel a bit, and much of Vrell's fickle and contrary behavior seems more like a plot device to drag out the suspense than anything. The ending was good, but I felt like a lot of things could have been edited down to make them more co ...more
Hollie
Aug 06, 2011 Hollie rated it really liked it
I really find it interesting, and often funny, to skim the reviews and see people's many different takes on the overt christian proselytizing in this series. Some people don't even mention it, perhaps they are the christians. Some really abhor it and condemn the entire story for it. I'm actually surprised to find how many, like me, find it distasteful, but not enough so the turn away from an enjoyable and well written fantasy series. When I first encountered this phenomenon in the Legends of the ...more
Michelle Griep
May 20, 2011 Michelle Griep rated it it was amazing
Sweet pickled pig snout! This is one fantabulous read. I’m talking non-stop action, the kind that blurs the words on the page because you’ve forgotten to breathe. Yes, it really is that good, so don’t let the daunting 660 pages scare you away.

In this, the third and final installment in the Blood of Kings trilogy, author Jill Williamson delivers a satisfying wrap up to Vrell and Achan’s long suffering relationship. Oh yeah, that and she also manages to vanquish evil and restore light and truth to
Erika Mathews
Jun 03, 2015 Erika Mathews rated it it was amazing
Originally I rated this series 4 stars. A few days later, I'm upping it to 5. Why? Because there's a depth to this book unlike many others. Many stories stick around in the mind after reading them, but few continue to thrust themselves upon my thoughts days after finishing them, begging me to reread them. This story is one that does. After spending over 1500 pages with Achan and Vrell, they have come to life.

But more than that - there's a depth. Yes, this is fantasy. But Christian fantasy like
Jeneca
Jul 01, 2016 Jeneca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good. Such a perfect not tacky and totally wonderful ending. *SIGH*

Achan is struggling with his feelings for Sparrow and his engagement to Lady Averella (*snorts* poor Achan) while Sparrow suddenly gets lost to the Veil-- and she doesn't seem to recall Achan.

Things I liked:
-The story got even thicker!
-Most plot lines and subplots got a good heaping of more information, and wove together beautifully by the end.
-I loved getting to revisit Sitna and a lot of the characters from the first boo
Abby Jones
May 30, 2015 Abby Jones rated it liked it
I enjoyed this series more than I have any other so called "Christian" speculative fiction. The characters grew, were interesting, and everything wrapped up into a nice happy ending. Things weren't happy-go-lucky for all the good guys and the bad guys were pretty evil.
I have just a few complaints:
1) The lack of major deaths of anyone we really cared about left me feeling bored with the last book. I never really felt like anyone was in danger. And when one person did die, it was convenient not h
Kerry Nietz
Apr 18, 2011 Kerry Nietz rated it it was amazing
I fully agree with author Kathy Tyer’s summation of From Darkness Won: It is a satisfying conclusion to the Blood of Kings trilogy.

Here Williamson manages to tie up all the loose ends while expanding on themes and ideas she introduced in the two earlier books. There are great insights, some truly touching moments, high action, endearing humor, and a couple of unexpected—yet appropriate—twists. There was even a section that took me back to my favorite childhood shows, The Bionic Woman and the Si
Stacey
Apr 25, 2011 Stacey rated it really liked it
This series was such a great escapist/pleasure read. Many surprises. I bought this on my kindle and did not tell Eli, because I felt like it got increasingly mature--not inappropriate by any stretch of the imagination, it was all clean, just stuff he did not need to read about yet. It was a great Mother's Day treat to have a little time found in between and around my school time, to finish this trilogy.
L.K. Malone
Dec 10, 2011 L.K. Malone rated it really liked it
Again, I read all three books in this series within just a few days, so they kind of bleed together. I loved the series as a whole and highly recommend it. The love story was satisfying, the adventure thrilling, and the battle scenes were so vivid I felt I was in the middle of them. I knocked off a point on this one because it wasn't as tight as the first book, again, I think probably because the author was probably writing under deadline. Still a great read and highly recommended.
Bill Tillman
Jill has outdone herself with third book of the 'From Darkness' series. I was even moved by all the mushy stuff at the end, wedding and coronation were especially splendid. An excellent page turner with surprises around many a bend. A MUST READ.
Karen
Nov 16, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I continued to enjoy this series. Don't really have a ton to say about it though. I liked the religious tie-in, and of course, everything worked out just right in the end.
Valerie Comer
Aug 11, 2011 Valerie Comer rated it it was amazing
This is a fitting finale for an extensive three-book fantasy series. Make sure you read these in order, though, or you'll get confused!
Stacy
Apr 06, 2011 Stacy rated it it was amazing
fantastic book!
Shelley
Oct 25, 2011 Shelley rated it it was amazing
A great ending to a great series. I love her characters and writing.
MC
Feb 01, 2014 MC rated it really liked it
From Darkness Won is the third and final volume of The Blood of Kings trilogy by author Jill Williamson. Achan Cham, who was earlier revealed to be the real Prince Gidon Hadar has now assembled his army and is preparing to invade Armonguard, the capital city of the country of Er'rets, and take his rightful crown away from the usurping forces of the demonically-controlled Lord Nathak and Prince Esek.

But his task is more difficult than things would seem to be at first glance, for the very demonic
Becky B
Hooray! I have finally finished!!! This feels like a massive accomplishment, and I'm very relieved to finally have Vrell and Achan all sorted out and Darkness vanquished. It was a long hard road to this point. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

This 3rd and final book in the series backtracks slightly from where book 2 ended. The book then proceeds to mostly alternate in telling the tale from what's going on with Achan and wherever he is, to what's going on with Vrell and wherever she is. Yes, that
Brynn Baker
May 20, 2013 Brynn Baker rated it it was amazing
From Darkness Won
Written by Jill Williamson
Reviewed by Brynn Baker

From Darkness Won by Jill Williamson is the third book in the series of, The Blood of The Kings. This fantasy story will leave you on the edge of your seat. Set in the country of Er’Rets, that is divided into two parts, light and darkness, the two main characters, Achan Cham and Averella Amal (also known as “Sparrow” or Vrell throughout the book), switch off telling the tale of war, death, love, and sacrifice. But this book is no
Elisabeth Wheatley
I love this series. I love this series SO FREAKING MUCH. Original, imaginative, inspiring, thrilling, enchanting, addictive—just a few adjectives to describe it. I am so sad to see the series end, but what an ending that was! I cannot remember the last time I binge read through a whole series beginning to end without reading anything else in between. I’m actually not sure it has happened before. This series consumed my literary adventures until the moment I ran out of trilogy.

As a Christian love
Lori Twichell
Oct 08, 2013 Lori Twichell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved the first two books in Jill Williamson’s, Blood of Kings series. In fact I stayed up late at night paging through the books screen by screen on my little cell phone. I devoured the books. There is no way to sit back and enjoy the ride at a slow peaceful pace with these books. The plot flows at a breakneck speed, making it hard to keep up sometimes. Much like life, you just need to hold on with both hands and take a moment to look around and breathe a bit before it all starts again.

I was
Adam Thompson
Feb 24, 2013 Adam Thompson rated it really liked it
After completing this series, I had mixed, but mostly positive feelings. As I re-read my favorite parts, the positive feelings increasingly outweigh any negative feelings. I think it's a strong Christian fantasy series (if you don't want/like strong Christian messages, you probably won't like the series). I think this book was a good conclusion to the series.

Pros:
-- The characters are well developed and lovable.
-- Great action.
-- I liked the magic elements of the fantasy world. They seemed belie
Alcieta
Jul 26, 2013 Alcieta rated it it was amazing
(hefty sigh) Cripes, the journey is over! All that happens in these three super long books really built to an incredibly satisfying point, and I think that can only be properly managed with such length. But this was a fantastic story. The character development was top-notch--props to Jill for a job well done. The romance, though a bit dragged out, was pretty rewarding by the end, too. Rarely do you find something so perfectly paced, and by no means insta-love, leaving room for the characters to ...more
David Bergsland
Dec 12, 2013 David Bergsland rated it it was amazing
This review is for the entire trilogy: This is a Christian fantasy worth reading. I could hardly put it down. But, I'm certainly glad I did not see the covers at a size large enough to understand. It may be marketed as a YA Fantasy, but it is a much better story than that. The scruffy American teenagers shown on the covers do not even hint at the scope of the tale within the books.

The trials of a stray thrust into leadership & a noblewoman given a dose of reality are placed in a context whic
Stephen
Apr 04, 2014 Stephen rated it it was amazing
WOW What a series, Could Not Put It Down From the First Book To This One! I finished From Darkness Won minutes ago and the transition back to the real world is still not complete; part of me is still in the land of Er'Rets with my friends. But are we mourning or celebrating? This book had so many wonderful scenes... I got emotional more than once. In fact, I don't remember the last time I was more emotionally attached to the characters of a novel. It's a bit scary, to be honest. What a satisfyin ...more
Courtney Lake
Nov 16, 2014 Courtney Lake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I recieved a gratis copy of this book from goodreads giveaways.

From the begining to the end, this series held strong. And recently that has been a rare pleasure for me to find.

I loved Achan from the very begining. He is a headstrong, somewhat sarcastic, honest and straight forward character. He makes honest mistakes, learns from them, tries to take the advice of those around him, chafes as his restrictions and isn't afraid to ask for help. In short, he is a very real person.

Vrell/Sparrow I als
D.M. Webb
By Darkness Hid, To Darkness Fled, From Darkness Won: The Blood of Kings by Jill Williamson
Published by Marcher Lord Press- 2009, 2010, 2011

Jill Williamson may sit beside the authors Tad Williams with his Sword of Sorrow series and George R.R. Martin with his Game of Thrones series. She succeeds them with her Blood of Kings trilogy.

Follow the whirlwind journey of Achan, a young man whose status is lower than a slave, who not only discovers that he is the long lost heir to the throne, but also th
Kerry Johnson
Oct 19, 2015 Kerry Johnson rated it it was amazing
The very best compliment a reader can give an author is wishing their book never ended. Feeling like they lived in another world for a time, and being mopey-sad to leave that world.

Even saying a forlorn goodbye to life-like characters you care a great deal for (and maybe even petting the book cover a few times to remind yourself it was a story. Made up. Wait, what!?)

The Blood of Kings trilogy is an action-packed YA fantasy series that yanked me into Achan and Vrell's lives, deep within its pag
The Blood Of King...: From Darkness Won 11 16 Jun 17, 2015 07:39AM
  • Veiled Rose (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #2)
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
  • Return of the Guardian-King (Legends of the Guardian-King, #4)
  • Dragons of the Valley (Valley of the Dragons, #2)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • The King's Scrolls (Ilyon Chronicles, #2)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • The Secret of the Swamp King (The Wilderking Trilogy, #2)
  • Judge (Books of the Infinite, #2)
  • Raven's Ladder (The Auralia Thread, #3)
  • Failstate
  • The Restorer (The Sword of Lyric #1)
Jill Williamson is a chocolate loving, daydreaming, creator of kingdoms and the award-winning author of several young adult books including By Darkness Hid, Replication, The New Recruit, and Captives. She got into writing one day when someone was complaining about teen books and she thought, “I could do that! How hard could it be?” Very, she soon learned. But she worked hard, and four years later, ...more
More about Jill Williamson...

Blood of Kings (3 books)
  • By Darkness Hid (Blood of Kings, #1)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)

“If, Your Highness, is a word that will steal your soul. Do not waste your thoughts on ifs. What is done is done. Look to the future.” 9 likes
“In time, all will be well - for all of us."
"You sound as if you truly believe that it will."
"Why shouldn't I? For Arman has given us the end of the story, has he not? Shamayim will be a wonderful home, even if this one remains dark.”
6 likes