Start by marking “Steven Petrow's Complete Gay & Lesbian Manners: The Definitive Guide to LGBT Life” as Want to Read:

**In recognition of Quality, Excellence, and Design, this ebook has been granted a QED seal of approval from Digital Book World.**
Finally, the first big book of manners for the more than 15 million lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people in the United States and Canada and the people who love them, work with them, and live with them. Written by Steven Petrow, the go
Published June 1st 2011 by Workman Publishing Company (first published May 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Steven Petrow's Complete Gay & Lesbian Manners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steven Petrow's Complete Gay & Lesbian Manners

Lyndz
Aug 09, 2011 Lyndz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who identifies as GLBTQ, or has close family or friend who does.
Shelves: first-reads, own, reviewed
Steven Petrow deserves a pat on the back from the GLBTQ community! If there was ever going to be a handbook for being gay, this would be it. The book kicks itself off by addressing all the complications, insecurities, problems, and possible hostile situations that ‘coming out’ can churn up AND how to deal with them tactfully, politely and first and foremost how to keep yourself safe. I kept saying to myself “where was this book when I was coming out?”

As the Complete Gay & Lesbian Manners pr
Giselle
Jul 23, 2011 Giselle rated it liked it
Recommended to Giselle by: goodreads
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through goodreads first-reads! LGBT people learned long ago that "one size does not fit all." Having been the exception to many, many rules, they know how important it is to have a set of standards and rules that uniquely fit them and their lives and loves. Petrow does this with experience, warmth, wit and knowledge in a way that few others would dare try.
Saya Lau
Sep 25, 2016 Saya Lau rated it really liked it
Nice ethics book for the socially awkward.
Beka
Oct 10, 2011 Beka rated it it was amazing
This book was a very informative read even for friends, family and allies of the LGBT community. I won the book in the giveaway, and didn't want to take it on vacation with me, as it will probably be given to one of my husband's best buddies as a gift (with full disclosure, of course). I found the advice in this book to be extremely comprehensive and down to earth. Common sense, good manners and kindness seem to be Mr. Petrow's guides to how comport oneself, and I think those rules should apply ...more
Cher
Aug 19, 2011 Cher rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I didn't feel much of his book was helpful regarding manners. It was more of a "survival guide" or "how to" to various situations gay men might find themselves in. When he tried to talk about lesbians, it seemed clear to me that he had no idea what they are about, and I was wondering why he bothered to include them in this book.

His comment that you should also say "thank you" to anyone who does oral on you was just the weirdest thing ever. I'm like: "Thank you"? What sort of terrible lover says
Darlene
Cool! I won this through First-Reads on GoodReads. I look forward to reading it.

***
Received July 3, 2011. Looks like a fun read!

***

I actually liked this book enough to pass it on to friends to read. Then I bought the Kindle edition so I could enjoy it in my own time.

This is a book for everyone to read. It leads to understanding. It teaches us respectful ways to enjoy each other's company, regardless of orientation.

I will give a better review on the Kindle version. That review will be here
L_manning
Sep 23, 2011 L_manning rated it really liked it
I found this to be a pretty interesting read. There were a lot of things that I felt were pretty obvious for anyone regardless of sexual orientation. However, there were also some things that I had never thought of. Everything was clear and concise. There were many real life examples. I think this book gives really good ideas of how to deal with many social situations whether you are GLBT or just someone who wants to be as polite and supportive as possible.

Book won on Goodreads.
Darlene
Nov 17, 2011 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, first-reads

***
Received today. Looks like a fun read!

***

I actually liked this book enough to give it to friends to read. Then I bought the Kindle edition so I could enjoy it in my own time.

I will give a better review on the Kindle version.
Anna Bongiovanni
Jul 29, 2014 Anna Bongiovanni rated it really liked it
A nice coffee table book, interesting and fun to read. Most advice is pretty straight-forward but is a good resource for allies.
Caitlin
Jul 05, 2011 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a good reads contest. I'm looking forward to reading this book and hopefully gainning new persepctive
Douglas
Douglas rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Missy
Missy rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2011
nem
nem rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Meg Dean
Meg Dean rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Colten
Colten rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
LisaPie
LisaPie rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Bethany
Bethany rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Shawna Mccann
Shawna Mccann rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Chris Prichard
Chris Prichard rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Marty
May 22, 2014 Marty rated it it was ok
There is nothing extraordinary about this book. No special insights.
amy elizabeth marceaux
amy elizabeth marceaux rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Viktor
Viktor rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2016
Kristina Franken
Kristina Franken rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2012
Brandy Davenport
Brandy Davenport rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Hailey Johnson
Hailey Johnson rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2016
The former president of the National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association, Steven Petrow has held senior editorial positions with Wired, Life, Fitness, Time Inc., and Waterfront Mediaand has written for the Los Angeles Times, Salon, Daily Beast, Huffington Post, the Washington Post Writers Syndicate, and The Advocate. His previous books include Dancing Against the Darkness (Macmillan, 1990); ...more
More about Steven Petrow...