Start by marking “Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany” as Want to Read:
Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany

Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The memoirs of a German girl who became a leader among the Hitler Youth while her Social Democratic family kept from her the secret of her partial Jewish heritage.
Published June 1st 1990 by Puffin Books (first published June 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Mischling, Second Degree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mischling, Second Degree

I'm not sure when I read this only that it was before I read the diary of anne frank & it moved me in an unusually stark & horrific way. I was so distraught by this book that I read pre-7th grade, that I made my Daddy read it as I considered him an expert on all things German & wanted him to tell me it wasn't true. It was the first time I saw my Daddy cry about a book & take to his bed on Sat., not for a nap because he was tired but because of all the memories it caused to resurf ...more
Lindsay
Caleb and I are currently learning about Germany. I found this book and thought that it would be a good reader for us to read together.
Courtney
Art
this book was quite the story of Survival and how family differed in the New Germanic State under Adolf Hitler.
Also the bombing of Berlin.
Russians invasion of Germany & Berlin.
Survival of not being sent to camps or raped by Russians.
Her romance w/American Soldier.
Rate it w/"Corrie Ten Boom", Movie, "Rape of Berlin? or Something to that effect".
Virginia Ullrich-serna
The biography of a young German girl during WWII. The and the 4 books by Horst Christian are excellent stories of the lives of children raised during the years of Hitler ' s rule 8th Germany.
Swallowfeather
I might not have read this if I hadn't been in a cabin with very few books at the time, but I'm glad I did. I don't remember it being great literarily, but its being a true story & a very unique look into Nazi Germany made it very much worth reading. It gave me an extra feel for the time and for the fact that truth is stranger than fiction; a few things happened that I would have dismissed as really over-the-top if this were a novel. One thing I remember especially vividly is the preparation ...more
Helen Elgin
The thing I remember most about this is how she was saved from the gas chambers by her long blonde plaits that Dr Mengele touches as she goes through the selection process.
Elaine
Feb 02, 2014 Elaine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Elaine by: Sandi Palmer
I read this many years ago, so don't remember a lot of detail and did not take a lot of notes back then. But this is a 10-year-old girl's story of growing up in Nazi Germany. I remember thinking it was told in a way that did not leave you feeling depressed as so many in the genre do. You can read the Goodreads synopsis for the description.
Malea
The cover of this book is deceptive. It looks like a book for mid-elementary school, but it has the "sh.." swear word in several parts. Overall, very good. Although a diary, it is not at all like Anne Frank.
Sally
Interesting, but the writing was at times quite wooden and parts were difficult to follow. Interesting to see what it was like for Ilse as a Hitler Youth girl.
Ang
I read one review were it stated the writing was "wooden". That is a good way to describe it. However it has an important historical account.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
This is Ilse Koehn's story of growing up Jewish in Nazi Germany - and how she "hid in plain sight."

By joining the Hitler Youth.
Lauren Burnham
It is a good outline of what some of the children of Nazi Germany had to go through. I wish that it wasn't so jerky in the reading.
A.P. Roberts
I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in WWII. It is a different view than most survival stories and shows how dark war can be.
Patricia
Indeed an amazing book,childhood in Nazi Germany--something I knew nothing about--so glad I read this and learned such a lot.
Sandra
Young Jews, hidden by sympathizers, WWII
simon sais
simon sais marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Wendy Price
Wendy Price marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Sharon Jones
Sharon Jones marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
James Barnes
James Barnes marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
  • No Pretty Pictures: A Child of War
  • The Cunning of History: The Holocaust and the American Future
  • The Lost Life of Eva Braun
  • Star of Fear, Star of Hope
  • Lisa's War (Lisa's War, #1)
  • Dear Mom: A Sniper's Vietnam
  • Berlin Diaries, 1940-1945
  • An Interrupted Life: The Diaries, 1941-1943; and Letters from Westerbork
  • Children of the Holocaust: Conversations with Sons and Daughters of Survivors
  • The Crossing
  • The Harmonica
Tilla Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany Looking for a Place Fox Running: A Novel