Start by marking “Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany” as Want to Read:
Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany

Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  166 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The memoirs of a German girl who became a leader among the Hitler Youth while her Social Democratic family kept from her the secret of her partial Jewish heritage.
Published June 1st 1990 by Puffin Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Mischling, Second Degree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mischling, Second Degree

I'm not sure when I read this only that it was before I read the diary of anne frank & it moved me in an unusually stark & horrific way. I was so distraught by this book that I read pre-7th grade, that I made my Daddy read it as I considered him an expert on all things German & wanted him to tell me it wasn't true. It was the first time I saw my Daddy cry about a book & take to his bed on Sat., not for a nap because he was tired but because of all the memories it caused to resurf ...more
Lindsay
Jan 09, 2009 Lindsay rated it liked it
Caleb and I are currently learning about Germany. I found this book and thought that it would be a good reader for us to read together.
Valerie
Despite the fulsome blurb and the slightly less uncritical Foreword, this is not a particularly extraordinary book. The author leaves out a lot of things she discovered later (for example, her father was undoubtedly forced to divorce her mother, because this was required by the Nuremberg Laws of 1934). Leaving out things the child hadn't known is arguably a sensible decision, although there should have been more footnotes providing updates.

Other things, however, seem to have been deliberately el
Courtney
Mar 07, 2011 Courtney rated it really liked it
Art
this book was quite the story of Survival and how family differed in the New Germanic State under Adolf Hitler.
Also the bombing of Berlin.
Russians invasion of Germany & Berlin.
Survival of not being sent to camps or raped by Russians.
Her romance w/American Soldier.
Rate it w/"Corrie Ten Boom", Movie, "Rape of Berlin? or Something to that effect".
Virginia Ullrich-serna
Oct 05, 2014 Virginia Ullrich-serna rated it it was amazing
The biography of a young German girl during WWII. The and the 4 books by Horst Christian are excellent stories of the lives of children raised during the years of Hitler ' s rule 8th Germany.
Swallowfeather
Apr 02, 2014 Swallowfeather rated it really liked it
I might not have read this if I hadn't been in a cabin with very few books at the time, but I'm glad I did. I don't remember it being great literarily, but its being a true story & a very unique look into Nazi Germany made it very much worth reading. It gave me an extra feel for the time and for the fact that truth is stranger than fiction; a few things happened that I would have dismissed as really over-the-top if this were a novel. One thing I remember especially vividly is the preparation ...more
Helen Elgin
Feb 27, 2014 Helen Elgin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I remember most about this is how she was saved from the gas chambers by her long blonde plaits that Dr Mengele touches as she goes through the selection process.
Belinda
Mar 19, 2016 Belinda rated it it was amazing
so interesting and gave me a broader understanding of Nazi Germany
Grant
Jan 30, 2015 Grant rated it it was amazing
very funny, couldnt stop laughing a++
Elaine
Feb 02, 2014 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Elaine by: Sandi Palmer
I read this many years ago, so don't remember a lot of detail and did not take a lot of notes back then. But this is a 10-year-old girl's story of growing up in Nazi Germany. I remember thinking it was told in a way that did not leave you feeling depressed as so many in the genre do. You can read the Goodreads synopsis for the description.
Malea
May 12, 2012 Malea rated it really liked it
The cover of this book is deceptive. It looks like a book for mid-elementary school, but it has the "sh.." swear word in several parts. Overall, very good. Although a diary, it is not at all like Anne Frank.
Sally
Interesting, but the writing was at times quite wooden and parts were difficult to follow. Interesting to see what it was like for Ilse as a Hitler Youth girl.
Ang
Oct 05, 2011 Ang rated it liked it
I read one review were it stated the writing was "wooden". That is a good way to describe it. However it has an important historical account.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
This is Ilse Koehn's story of growing up Jewish in Nazi Germany - and how she "hid in plain sight."

By joining the Hitler Youth.
Lauren Burnham
Feb 20, 2013 Lauren Burnham rated it liked it
It is a good outline of what some of the children of Nazi Germany had to go through. I wish that it wasn't so jerky in the reading.
A.P. Roberts
May 13, 2013 A.P. Roberts rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in WWII. It is a different view than most survival stories and shows how dark war can be.
Patricia
Aug 31, 2013 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Indeed an amazing book,childhood in Nazi Germany--something I knew nothing about--so glad I read this and learned such a lot.
Kate B
Jun 03, 2015 Kate B rated it really liked it
Thought-provoking account of a girl in Nazi Germany.
Sandra
May 08, 2008 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, non-fiction
Young Jews, hidden by sympathizers, WWII
Laura Blancq
Laura Blancq rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
M
M marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Valerie Moody
Valerie Moody marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Wendy
Wendy added it
May 19, 2016
Mary Yamaguchi
Mary Yamaguchi marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Reading Guy
Reading Guy is currently reading it
May 16, 2016
Kirsty
Kirsty rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Madison
Madison rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
  • Eleanor's Story: An American Girl in Hitler's Germany
  • The Cunning of History: The Holocaust and the American Future
  • To Life
  • The Lost Life of Eva Braun
  • Lisa's War (Lisa's War, #1)
  • Dear Mom: A Sniper's Vietnam