Start by marking “Trundle's Quest (The Six Crowns #1)” as Want to Read:
Trundle's Quest (The Six Crowns #1)

Trundle's Quest (The Six Crowns #1)

Mild-Mannered Lamplighter? Or Valiant Hero?

Trundle is just like any other hedgehog in the small town of Shiverstones. But his simple, quiet life is turned upside down the night Esmeralda appears at his door. With bloodthirsty pirates right on her heels, she tells Trundle he is destined to join her on a quest to find the fabled Six Crowns, treasures that could unite the Sun
Published April 5th 2011 by Greenwillow Books (first published June 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Trundle's Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trundle's Quest

Amanda
Apr 23, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donate
Cute and quick. Definitely Redwall inspired, but without going into the same kind of depth or detail that those books had. But it was still a nice palate cleanser.
Heidi
Sep 09, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's nice to find a fantasy that isn't over four hundred pages. Many students love the big thick ones, but not all of them can read those kind of books. This is an appropriate book for reluctant readers who need constant action to keep them reading. The action starts in chapter one with Trundle, a humble and content lamplighter, is abruptly drawn out of his peaceful life into a world of pirates, theft, and slavery. The action doesn't stop, leaving the reader waiting for the sequels (luckily the ...more
Briana
Excerpt from review below. You can read my full, in-depth review here: http://thebookpixie.blogspot.com/2011...

"Trundle's Quest is an exciting, swashbuckling page turner that forms a very promising start to what I believe is going to be an excellent MG series.............................................................

Trundle's Quest is action-packed and full of adventure. I can honestly say I haven't read anything quite like it and the combination of piracy and what we consider wild creatures w
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
An exiting adventure set in magical land where ships fly and two unlikely heroes set out to fulfill an ancient prophecy and find the six crowns. Can Trundle and Esmeralda fend off the evil pirates and overcome unforeseen obstacles in time to save their world?

Young readers will enjoy jumping aboard the sky boats with these two courageous hedgehogs as they set out on an unforgettable journey full of danger, and action. Trundle's Quest is set in a world unlike any I've read about before. It's a un
Gail
Aug 01, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you loved the Redwall series then you will enjoy this book. It is very similar, but not as lengthy. The writing is good,less detail than the Redwall books,and would suit a younger child like a 4th grader who might enjoy a great fantasy adventure story. The young hero, Trundle, loves his life as a lamplighter. He has a simple life on an island where people are good and kind and grow cabbages. His life is turned upside down by the arrival of Esmeralda who tells him he needs to help her with her ...more
Jessica
Jan 04, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet and fairly easy read, The Six Crowns: Trundle's Quest pleasantly surprised me! It's always nice to find a fantasy story that younger readers can enjoy as well. Weighing in at less than 200 pages, this is the perfect fit.

Trundle is a humble lamplighter who loves his job. His quiet existence is very much to his liking. Enter Esmerelda! A princess whose sole purpose in life seems to be adventuring and, unfortunately for Trundle, causing lots of trouble. These two unlikely heroes set of on a
Chris
A slim book that's full of adventure, it was a quick read that in some ways felt too slight, but only because it had so much substance in other ways. Jones has created an intriguing world of which we only scratch the surface, interesting characters that we could definitely spend more time getting to know better, and an engaging, action-centered plot that we speed through at breakneck pace, reaching the end all too quickly. So my main complaint is that I liked the book so much that I wanted there ...more
Wendycarlson3
My nine year old and I picked this book as something different to try. It's the first in a series so we thought if we liked it we would have more similar books to keep us reading. Humble hedgehog to fighting-for-his-life hedgehog, this book is action packed with lots of twists and turns. Trundle goes on a quest searching for 1 of 6 crowns, which may or may not even exist. We found ourselves cheering in this little hedgehog as he faced many scary characters and impossible challenges. However, the ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Trundle is a lightkeeper whose highlight in life is going home to his cabbage soup and tea. One evening, when he goes home for the night, he meets Esmeralda, a Romany hedgehog who is on the run from a nasty group of pirates.

She claims that Trundle is the lightkeeper in a prophecy that involves the two of them finding the six badger crowns that will save the world. The pirates who are after her, however, are bent on her not reaching her goal.

Can Trundle and
Sara Wilson
Jan 05, 2015 Sara Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asher (7-almost 8) ADORED this series of six books. Wonderful animal adventure. Funny dialogue. Interesting characters. The language used in this series is rich and varied, not at all dumbed-down. An excellent read-aloud, especially if you're good at character voices.
Alexandria Ellerbee
I was trying to get my 3rd grader to read longer chapters books and we came across this one. She really enjoyed it and finished it!When she finished she wanted to get book 2 right away. Also, I read it after her and I thought it was action packed and cute.
Colona Public Library
A short adventure fantasy book which comes in a series. This J chapter book is for readers that can handle about 20pages per chapter. This book is action packed and has some fun songs and some short alliteration that is fun to read out loud. You can order this material at the colona public library. ~Ashley
Katie
It was an interesting story. I wish the author was more descriptive though, it almost seems like a waste to have made the characters animals. Most of the time they could easily be human characters.
Charity Ambs
This was recommend to me by a kid. One of those nice books that isn't to large and could fall into the grade three range. Nice quick pace and not too fluffy.
Brenda
Aug 08, 2011 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A prophecy is foretold that the Princess of Darkness and the Lamplighter must find the Six Crowns of the Badgers of Power. Thus begins Trundle's quest with Esmeralda to escape pirates and ruffians while locating these hidden crowns. The illustrations by Gary Chalk are reminiscent of those from the Edge Chronicles with billowing sky ships in lovely black and white. Similar to the Redwall series, this story centers around animals ( in this case two hedgehogs) but makes an easier read for younger c ...more
Miss Carman
Mar 26, 2013 Miss Carman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trundle, a hedgehog and an unlikely hero gets pulled along by Esmerelda on a quest to find the 6 crowns of the badgers and to bring the floating worlds back together. The only problem is that they don't know where to start looking! On the way they get mixed up with pirates, slave drivers and more.

A great, short fantasy book that pulls you in from the first page. The suspense kept me reading until the end. I love the way that cause and effect in this story shape the whole story and make it seem
Amy
Nov 18, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good intro to adventure children's book. I read it in just a few hours. It was just a short book, the start of a series. I was a little disappointed because the cover seemed to imply that it was only the one book. However, I have gone back and purchased 2 more, a present for my soon old enough nephew, and a separate copy for my classroom books. I think that this book would be appropriate for first grade and up. For younger ages it might work well for a read-aloud at home or in a classroom ...more
Embrc
Apr 15, 2011 Embrc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greenwillow
The description on Goodreads gives a great synopsis so I won't! But I will say that this book will be very appealing to those readers who enjoy animal-fantasy books. Reminiscent of Redwall and the Hobbit, this is a good choice for younger kids. It's short and has black & white illustrations scattered about. This is the first in what is sure to be a series and I think those who enjoy book one will be clamoring for the next. Ages 7-10-ish. -AM
Tara Carpenter
Jun 04, 2012 Tara Carpenter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A fabulously-written chapter book that I read to my 6yo. Full of alliteration, it was wonderfully fun to read out loud. It's sort of like a Lord of the Rings type quest in a world populated with animals. Written for kids, the violence isn't too bad is is certainly not graphic. Both of my boys loved it & so did I. We will be reading the rest of the series.
Harla
Aug 22, 2013 Harla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little chapter book takes the reader straight into adventure from the first few pages and the action does not stop until the end of the book. Even at the end it carries you on to want to read the next one since it is a first in a series. It certainly will appeal to young readers who like a lot of action.
Debbie Tanner
I didn't love this fantasy fiction novel about two hedgehogs trying to go on a quest. They are running from pirates which apparently gives them license to steal things, especially things they need for their quest. It felt like a giant chase scene.
Tracie
Apr 04, 2011 Tracie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elem
Two young hedgehogs work together to reunite the six crowns of legend and right the wrongs of their island worlds. In this story they pursue the first of the six and battle nasty pirates - lots of harrowing escapades and adventures.
Rebecca
Oct 09, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, animals
This seemed rawther violent for the reading level. "Oh yeah....the pirate ship just exploded and there are slimy little bits of pirate everywhere...and oh look! Someone's head!" And this is meant for elementary school?!
Margie
Sep 03, 2011 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lars
I hate to give this 4 stars, as I would only give it 2. It is shorter, easier Brian Jacques (Redwall), but lacking in the depth (but not the gore). Both boys, however, gave it 4 stars (the 7 year old AND the 11 year old).
Rachel
I was glued to reading this! Full of adventure and suspense. Written very well. I loved Trundle (and I love that he loves books.) Only bad thing is I'd say it was a bit violent, mostly for it being a children's book.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Perfect for fans of Geronimo Stilton who are not quite ready to tackle the really thick Redwall books or the Mistmantle Chronicles. Also good for animal fantasy fans who want a super-quick, action-packed read.
Peggy
Apr 28, 2011 Peggy rated it it was ok
It was an okay adventure book for young readers. Lots of action. Lots of illustrations. Has a reluctant hero and a somewhat pushy, bossy female character. Will definitely be part of a series.
Dru
Nov 21, 2012 Dru rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fantasy, j-animal
I liked this story about a humble hedgehog being told he is destined to help find the six badger crowns. A bit of magic, a bit of adventure, and some pirates all make for a pretty good tale.
Pam Vlieg
Dec 18, 2012 Pam Vlieg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect gateway book for younger children to introduce them to a life long love of epic fantasy. Game of Thrones, and Lord of the Rings for 8 year olds. LOVE!
Greg Meyer
Feb 12, 2013 Greg Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's short, but full of imagination and totally worth reading. The illustrations are fun, too! Unique blend of fantasy, steampunk, and a bit of space travel.
  • The Fairy Realm (Fairy Realm, #1-6)
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • The Daring Escape of the Misfit Menagerie
  • We Are Not Eaten by Yaks (An Accidental Adventure, #1)
  • Fairies and the Quest for Never Land (Disney Fairies #3)
  • No Other Story (Whole Nother Story, #3)
  • Priscilla the Great (Priscilla the Great #1)
  • Stealing Air
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 25: Fox Hunt (Usagi Yojimbo, #25)
  • A Boy and A Bear in a Boat
  • Blood Tide (Never Land, #3)
  • The Heir Apparent (Perfect Ruin, #2.5)
  • How to Grow Up and Rule the World, by Vordak the Incomprehensible (Vordak #1)
  • Selling Hope
  • The Book of Shhh
  • Treasure on Superstition Mountain (Missing on Superstition Mountain, #2)
  • Unlucky Charms
  • The Pig Scrolls by Gryllus the Pig
This author has published under several versions of his name, including Allan Jones, Frewin Jones, and A.F. Jones. He has also published under the pen names Sam Hutton and Steven Saunders.
More about Allan Frewin Jones...

The Six Crowns (6 books)
  • Fair Wind to Widdershins (The Six Crowns, #2)
  • Fire Over Swallowhaven (Sundered Lands #3)
  • The Icegate of Spyre (Sundered Lands #4)
  • Sargasso Skies (Sundered Lands #5)
  • Full Circle (Sundered Lands #6)