Start by marking “Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #2)” as Want to Read:
Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #2)

Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #2)

Life in small-town America during World War II springs vividly to life as schoolteacher Miss Dimple and her fellow townspeople battle valiantly against worry, rationing, and crime at home as well as abroad.

Published November 22nd 2011 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause

QNPoohBear
The citizens of Elderberry, Georgia are doing their part to support the war effort with a war bond rally. Miss Dimple's friend Virginia has been roped into helping out by Emmaline Brumlow, who is insisting her nephew Buddy Oglesby be allowed to assist. Buddy has been a bit of a drifter and Virginia does not relish the prospect of working with him and his tyrannical aunt. While the school children and their teachers are helping with the cotton picking, Miss Dimple's fellow teacher Annie discovers ...more
Lynn
Aug 15, 2016 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shrewd and observant Miss Dimple once again puts together the pieces of several puzzles to solve a murder, uncover a blackmailer and recover missing War Bond money.

The two books in the series I've read so far are very skillfully done both in the plotting of a some very puzzling crimes and the inclusion of clues and also in the creation of setting and mood. The small town in Georgia and its interesting cast of inhabitants is the centerpiece of the series and becoming richer in this second book. T
Karen
Jan 18, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it
I am really like the Miss Dimple series. They are charming and light, but intelligently written.
Carol
Dec 16, 2016 Carol rated it liked it
Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause by Mignon F. Ballard
3★'s

From the Book:
life in small-town America during World War II springs vividly to life as schoolteacher Miss Dimple and her fellow townspeople battle valiantly against worry, rationing, and crime at home as well as abroad.

It's September 1943, and the town of Elderberry, Georgia, including their beloved first-grade teacher, Miss Dimple Kilpatrick, has exciting plans for the Bond Rally to support the troops fighting the war abroad. Miss Dimpl
Gail Cooke
Jan 10, 2012 Gail Cooke rated it really liked it
Refreshing, nostalgic, homespun, warm, humorous all describe Mignon Ballard’s evocative descriptions of small town life. With this, the second eagerly awaited story in the Miss Dimple series, we return to Elderberry, Georgia. It is 1943 and the townsfolk are absorbed in news of the war, all fearing a visit from “the boy on the black bicycle who delivered telegrams, and doing everything they can to support their country.

To that end a war bond rally is being planned ( despite many not wishing to
Mandolin
Dec 10, 2011 Mandolin rated it it was amazing
Though they expected excitement at their upcoming rally to raise money for the war, the citizens of the town of Elderberry, Georgia certainly didn't expect to be embroiled in a mystery! However, the glories of the parade, humor of the womanless wedding and overall thrill of the war bond rally are overshadowed by the grisly discovery of a corpse in one of the town's small creeks. The discovery is quickly followed by a slew of bewildering events, including the disappearance of some of the bond mon ...more
Rosemary Cantrell
Jan 25, 2016 Rosemary Cantrell rated it liked it
This was a cute book, set during WWII, in the area around Atlanta. I enjoyed reading about some of the cities that I am familiar with as they were described at that point in time. I also enjoyed the descriptions of conditions that people lived with during the war.

A body is discovered that had been hidden a few years before and it leads to a chain of mysteries - who was it? who killed her? who fired the shot backstage after the follies? who stole the bond money? who set fire to the house? and so
Melissa
Mar 06, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Great story, but I wish I had read this 2nd in the series closer to the first book. Many allusions to events that took place in the first book that I could not recall, so make sure you read the books in order and fairly close together. The characters were all so likable...even the "murderer"! I hope there is a 3rd book in the works

"It's September 1943, and the town of Elderberry, Georgia, including their beloved first-grade teacher, Miss Dimple Kilpatrick, has exciting plans for the Bond Rally t
Donna
Mar 20, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause is another gentle mystery, taking place during WWII. In this installment, War Bonds are stolen, people are being blackmailed, and the people of
Elderberry, Georgia are dealing with rationing, and everyday worry of 1943. Things seem to escalate with a skeleton is found by a river.

This book is interesting on two levels, the mystery and finding out who the skeleton is, who the thief is and who the blackmailer is kept me reading. On another level though, reading abou
Pat
Sep 09, 2016 Pat rated it liked it
Had a little bit of a hard time getting into the story, but I persevered and in the wnd it was worth the effort.
Antoinette
Oct 07, 2012 Antoinette rated it liked it
The second mystery in the Miss Dimple series is set in September 1943 in the small town of Elderberry, Georgia. During a school field trip a teacher discovers a skeleton and then the War Bond money is stolen following a rally. A man is shot and another disappears. Miss Dimple Kilpatrick, teacher of the town's first graders, takes it upon herself to solve the mystery of the skeleton's murderer and the missing money.

This series needs to be read in order, starting with Miss Dimple Disappears. Havi
Diane Heath
Feb 17, 2014 Diane Heath rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd or 4th book in a series. It is the first one I have read. Miss Dimple reminds me of Miss Dove (see the old movie) She has taught first grade in this small town in/near Georgia for decades. She lives in a boardinghouse and she solves situations. The problem in this case involve the discovery of a skeleton while on a field trip, the disappearance of War Bond money, and blackmail. The timeframe is mid WWII the setting the homefront. I want to find more books in this series now. It w ...more
Sue
Jul 03, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
The small town of Elderberry is far from the excitement of the war in September 1943, but some local excitement occurs when a dead body is found near a local cotton field. First grade teacher Miss Dimple Kilpatrick and her friends try to leave the investigation to the sheriff, but when other mysterious events occur they are drawn in.
In addition to the mysteries, this is a story of wartime romance, life on the home front, and the importance of friendship. This series is a pleasure to read and I a
Olivia
Another cute, homespun story! I noticed some other reviews suggest reading this series close together, and I definitely agree with that. The same characters are used, smaller plot lines are continued, and the story consistently references to events that occurred in the first book. It makes for a fun read! I like that the book is short - it's certainly a quick read. I'm looking forward to finishing the series!
Becky Galambos
Jan 02, 2016 Becky Galambos rated it really liked it
I picked this book up on my mother's recommendation, not realizing it was the second in the series. This series is set in the small town of Elderberry during 1943. There are a lot of subplots that can be hard to keep track of, but overall a good mystery and I am sure that some of what I didn't get can be remedied by my reading the first book. I love the characters and will definitely read the rest of the series.
Sharon
Aug 21, 2015 Sharon rated it liked it
It is the second year of World War II and the residents of Elderberry, Georgia are doing their best to support each other and their "boys" in the war effort. Unfortunately, the finding of a body creates many questions that must be answered in order to prevent blackmail and murder. Miss Dimple and her friends are up to the task however. I enjoyed reading about a time when people felt joined together in a good cause and both mourned and celebrated together.
Susan
Feb 02, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
The little town of Elderberry, GA seems to be in the throes of a crime wave after a body is found buried near a cotton field. Someone shoots an inoffensive store clerk, the genteel boarding house keeper is being blackmailed, and thousands of dollars from a victory bonds rally are stolen. Fortunately, Miss Dimple Kilpatrick, the town's beloved first grade teacher, starts to put things together in her clear-thinking mind, and comes up with some dismaying suspicions.
Lois
Jul 16, 2015 Lois rated it liked it
It's the middle of WWII in a small southern town and life seems so much simpler than it is now. But over all of it is the worry that loved ones will not return home after the war. And, then there's the mystery of who killed and buried a woman near the river bank and who stole the money from the War Bond Rally....

There are a lot of characters and that gets confusing sometimes.
Paige M
Jul 11, 2016 Paige M rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book, but when the author continuously refers to the main character by her full name, has characters call the found body, "that thing", and has characters question the meaning of another's outburst that was pretty clearly saying that he knew something about the body...it just got on my nerves. I've read juvenile books better written.
Lisa
Jun 17, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
I continue to enjoy this series. The books are "cozies" but do not insult the reader's intelligence. I have really enjoyed the historical setting of a small town in the WWII era and am anxious to continue following the lives of the residents of Elderberry, Georgia.
Millicent
May 28, 2012 Millicent rated it liked it
Fun, easy reading about a bunch of interesting characters in a small town who have a murder on their hands. It was set during the beginning of WW11, so I enjoyed reading about people in my parents' generation.
Sandy
Mar 20, 2014 Sandy rated it really liked it
These are quiet books. The mystery tends to not be sensational and it's not the most suspenseful book, but I enjoy this group of characters. I like that all of them help to solve the mystery, it's not just one sleuth who leads the charge.

Kathy
Apr 13, 2013 Kathy added it
This was set in the 1940's during WWII. Wonderfully researched. It took you back to the time of rationing and women holding down the home front. Miss Dimple is a Miss Marple like character. She manages to outwit the bad guys.
Linda
Jan 31, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
This is a really good Mystery. I would highly suggest the Author to anyone who loves Mysteries. I could not put this one down hardly at all. She has another one called "Miss Dimple Disappears". I love her books. The author's name is Mignon F. Ballard.
Wendy
Jan 17, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
So glad to discover this series set in small town Georgia during WW II. The mystery was good and the characters engaging. I'm waiting on the first book to arrive so I can see what I missed.
John Clark
Feb 24, 2012 John Clark rated it liked it
A cozy with promise, but it got rather cluttered. I finished it and have added it to our library collection.
Linda Allen
Dec 30, 2011 Linda Allen rated it really liked it
A very good mystery story set in a small town during the Second World War. This is the second in the series, so I'll have to get the first one. Really enjoyed it.
Lori
Jan 03, 2012 Lori rated it it was ok
An old time type mystery set in WWII; nothing shocking, just old fsahioned setting and old fashioned values. Very relaxing read.
Terri Lynn
I just really didn't like this one very much. I have enjoyed others in the series but somehow this one just didn't have the excitement the others did.
Leanne
Apr 23, 2014 Leanne rated it really liked it
Miss Dimple continues to delight. Interesting, believable, quirky characters make this cozy a standout in the genre.
  • Louisa and the Missing Heiress (A Louisa May Alcott Mystery, #1)
  • Bless the Bride (Molly Murphy, #10)
  • A Small Hill to Die On (Penny Brannigan, #4)
  • Brush with Death (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #5)
  • Darling Dahlias and the Confederate Rose (Darling Dahlias #3)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • The Edison Effect: A Professor Bradshaw Mystery
  • Death on Telegraph Hill (Sarah Woolson, #5)
  • The Body in the Boudoir (Faith Fairchild Mysteries #20)
  • The Hanging of Samuel Ash  (Hook Runyon #4)
  • A Dark And Stormy Night (Dorothy Martin, #10)
  • Anthem for Doomed Youth (Daisy Dalrymple, #19)
  • The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2)
  • Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
  • The Moon Looked Down
  • Grace Hammer : a Novel of the Victorian Underworld
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • The Father's Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #11)
Mignon Franklin Ballard grew up in a small town in Georgia, and now lives in Fort Mill, South Carolina.
More about Mignon F. Ballard...

Miss Dimple Kilpatrick (5 books)
  • Miss Dimple Disappears (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #1)
  • Miss Dimple Suspects (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #3)
  • Miss Dimple Picks a Peck of Trouble (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #4)
  • Miss Dimple and the Slightly Bewildered Angel