Start by marking “Organizing for Life: Declutter Your Mind to Declutter Your World” as Want to Read:
Organizing for Life: Declutter Your Mind to Declutter Your World

Organizing for Life: Declutter Your Mind to Declutter Your World

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Organizing for Life helps readers understand why they seem to be inherently messy, exposing the lies they tell themselves and introducing the truth about how they really can have a clean, inviting home.
Published March 1st 2007 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Organizing for Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Organizing for Life

Michael
Jul 14, 2008 Michael rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: Kathy Pederson
Thanks for another self-help book, Mom--I love these things. This is the first of the most recent trilogy bestowed upon me. Why did I read this? The book successfully provoked its intended change in me by making me feel so worthless I had to do something.

The reader is assumed to be a woman. I thought for a while that Felton's use of "she" and "her" when referring to the prototypical "messie" person was perhaps a feminist thing, that perhaps this is what it is like to be female and always reading...more
Erin
I'm not Christian nor am I the feminine stereotype this book seems to assume anyone with a uterus is so I struggled to finish this. The parts of this book that I found at all relatable did not contain any new information or present it in a new and interesting/motivational way.

If you're looking for a book on decluttering that includes a section that looks through the bible to conclude that it doesn't actually say anything about keeping a messy house making you a bad person (cool story, bro), then...more
Kristin
May 11, 2008 Kristin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting peace at home
Recommended to Kristin by: Focus On the Family
Have you ever started an organizational system and were excited about how it changed life...for a while? Then things somehow just went back to the old way and never really changed? I loved this book for that reason. It deals with attitudes and mentalities that get us into a pattern of disorganization in the first place. I like to think of myself as organized and blame my messie house on having 5 children and no time but this book showed me some mindsets that I have that contribute to the messine...more
Elissa
This is not a book of practical advice. It is more a book about motivations and ideas. If you have a cluttered home, this book can help you understand why and help you see a way out. It lead me to a better understanding of why I am the way I am and what to do about it.
Natalie
This took a sudden and odd jump to religion. That really threw me. I barely finished this. What I thought might be helpful tips on organization and keeping your possessions to a minimum became a religious interpretation of what the clutter means. Very confusing.
Huda Al-Anbar
I am not sure what the author wanted the reader to get out of the book,as it was merely a couple of insights and readings from the bible and nothing substantial to work with.No practical steps to organize one's life,more on the feeling or thinking of the perfect house than actual steps to get there.

The part were we got a read through the bible and concluded that it said nothing about keeping a clean home was a hot mess...

Better books are out there.
Infowriter
This book is a heavy-duty read. It's not about how to organize your house: It's about why many of us have difficulty doing so. A thought-provoking and sometimes disturbing read, it addresses issues such as self-esteem, alcoholic parents, attention deficit, etc., etc. Author Felton doesn't condemn; rather, she offers hope and concrete suggestions for the perennially disorganized and clutter-challenged.
Cheri Williams
Sandra Felton is INSIDE MY HEAD! This book gave me some amazing insights into myself and why I do (or don't do as the case may be) certain things. Less how-to than let's-get-to-the-root-of-things, it prompted some major paradigm shifts and has given me direction. And more importantly--it's given me hope.
Cheryl
Christian overtones throughout, but the discussion of the psychology of clutter is interesting. What motivates us to be messy? It's hard to not be insulted by the tag "messies" that she uses to refer to disorganized souls like myself who are seeking guidance.
Leslie
A different approach... this book focuses on the reasons it may be hard for some people to maintain a clean home. (There are not a lot of specific tips for getting organized.) I am intrigued by the author's approach and will read more from her.
Andrea
Good concepts, and great info on how things like ADD and OCD play into the messie syndrome, but slim on practical steps. I'm liking The New Messies Manual better on that front, and a lot of repeat between them.
Kate
"Say good-bye to the stress of mess -- for good!

"You can find the order, beauty, and peace you desire--and deserve--in your home. Organizing for Life reveals the secrets of keeping your house neat, clean, and organized without spending every minute of your life working on it.

"Finally a book that goes beyond the how-tos of cleaning and looks right at the heart of messiness so permanent change can take place. You'll learn why things are out of control so you can get them back in order and keep the...more
Jen
Nothing practical at all in this. And I too hated the reference to a keeper of a slightly disorderly house as a 'messie', just one more label tossed around as if the planet needs more of those. Usually when I try to inspire my children, the last thing I do is make up a name for them. LOL, imagine if I tried to motivate my highly creative, highly disorganized 8 year old by calling her a 'messie' from now until she left home. I would be footing a therapy bill.
Denele
I appreciated the concept of this book - uncovering the reasons why we are messy instead of just diving into a bunch of how-to's. However, there were a lot of things (the majority really) that irked me. Calling people "Messies" and "Cleanies" felt like I was in middle school, and does nothing to positively encourage someone to tackle their clutter. I am not the target audience for the religious aspects of this book, and was surprise to find it in there. And there are a lot of her theories that a...more
Melissa
Sadly, the fair amount of research that went into this book was overshadowed by elementary writing skills and frequent religious reference, which has little to do with organizing one's house. Good job isolating a giant chunk of your potential readership! Also, referring to disorganized people as "Messies" is condescending and counter-productive.
Jenny
I've had this on my nightstand for the past two years, reading here and there. As you can tell by my status- I finally finished it.

This book is not a life savor or anything of the sort. It will tell you what you need to do in order to "de-clutter." At least, it tries.

I tried to actively do what the author expresses, but finds that eventually my household doesn't like an organized home. In my personal case, (lately) just keeping the knowledge from the book helps. If only to make ME feel better.
Noah
Big fan of her ideas. I think she preaches personal responsibiliy for one's mess much better than folks like FlyLady, (if being comfortable got you into your mess, then it's going to same a whole lot of uncomfortableness to get yourself out of it...)

I use the "Mt. Vernon" method all the time with the kids. Great way to keep them focused on one spot, instead of wandering around the room looking for things to distract themselves with.
Libby
This book had a few helpful ideas but takes this idea of "the messies" way too far.
I'm sure some hobbies could just be an excuse to accumulate stuff, but to state that that is what all hobbies are and that you cannot create things remotely as nice as you can buy them shows that there is a different personality and gifting involved.
Some of the minimalist ideas were encouraging or helpful but the idea of "ok" is too narrow.
Sameerah
This book is one of the only organizing books that ever made an impact on me and actually motivated me to change. For the first time in my life, I actually make my bed every morning and it has given me a new take on what it means to be organized and how to get there. I'm very grateful to Sandra Felton for writing this book.
Kimberly
So far, I have written SO MUCH in the margins of this book and completed the VERY HELPFUL "Assess the Mess" prompts and questions at the end of each chapter. I believe this book has already helped me and, by the time I complete the book, will have helped me tremendously. I look forward to reading her other books.
Alexa Ayubi
Listened to the audio version. Great for Add-ish people needing to get a start on wrapping their mind around becoming more organized. This is NOT a how to book, Sandra Felton has others for that, but this is the book that got me going to becoming serious about digging myself out of the clutter!
Katra
At last a book that looks at the root of the problem instead of offering bandages to place on the symptoms.
Erica Olson
This book is about so much more than organizing your home. WOW WOW WOW. Truly, it is changing the way I live.
Lorna
This book was more about psychology than housekeeping skills and it gave me lots to think about.
E. Scott
Something I am striving for - to learn to be cleaner and better organized at home.
Audrey Brown-williams
Audrey Brown-williams marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Living Organized: Proven Steps for a Clutter-Free and Beautiful Home The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping Organizing Your Day: Time Management Techniques That Will Work for You 5 Days to a Clutter-Free House: Quick, Easy Ways to Clear Up Your Space Organizing Magic: 40 Days to a Well-Ordered Home and Life