Start by marking “The Man: (New York Times Notable Book of the Year)” as Want to Read:
The Man: (New York Times Notable Book of the Year)
Preview

The Man: (New York Times Notable Book of the Year)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The man is a mystery in himself. He turns up at the boy's house from nowhere and seems intent on causing havoc for the boy. But as the old Chinese proverb says - after three days, fish and visitors begin to stink.
Hardcover, 1 page
Published July 13th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man

Ashley Chance
‘The Man’ is a fictional story based on a tiny man who finds his way into a small boys (John) house and makes himself right at home. He is a moody, abrupt and at times comical character, whereby he insists that John should make him some clothes from his socks! The pair eventually clash and chaos ensues.

Briggs' tale allows the reader to escape from the mundane to a much more rather secretive minute existence from the Mans perspective, which for me as a school child was something unimaginable yet
Alfred
This book is written as a dialogue between a miniature man and a boy called John with pictures as part of the text. When the Man first appears in John’s bedroom, John thinks it is a dream but for the next 5 days, the Man is part of his life ,until he disappears as mysteriously as he came, leaving a note for John.

“The Man” was one of my favourite books when I was 6 and I was enchanted then, as I am now, by the nature of the friendship between the two characters as expressed through the pictures a
Emkoshka
Details the unlikely friendship between a demanding little man and a young boy while also reflecting on the dynamics that develop when guests overstay their welcome. I enjoyed the references to The Borrowers and Brigg's Snowman (check out the mug!).
Sophie Aitken
This graphic novel is about a young boy who one day wakes up to find a small living being in his room. The living being is very demanding, being a fussy eater. Due to his size and his existence in the house being a secret, he is unable to complete many tasks for himself. The boy is very kind and helps the small living being in all activities, including bathing him, preparing his food, cutting him some clothes, etc. The book describes both characters’ interactions over a three-day period, some pa ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Quite cute. A boy is woken by a Borrower-sized man, who then commands him / demands / cajoles for a few days.
Rochelle Cook
Oct 05, 2011 Rochelle Cook rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Raymond Briggs fans
One of my childhood favourites that i will forever treasure.
It is brilliantly clever and comical. I could read it over and over and still smile and giggle at the beautiful illustrations and humorous dialogue.
As a child it truly captured my imagination and i found myself going around the house finding objects to bathe a little man in, or use as a miniature sleeping bag, just incase....
Kay
A bit of a fractured fairy tale. A young boy, John, discovers a tiny man in his room one night. Initially delighted, the boy soon finds his diminutive visitor has out-of-proportion demands. The relationship of the boy and "The Man" is gently comic and subversively humorous in the best Briggs tradition.
Beverly
1992 Kurt Maschler Award
Interesting book. No narration, just the dialog between the boy and the miniature man. Some of the pages have panels, like a comic book. Briggs' illustrations are spot on.
Neil Munday
i like little people stories. They live around us..
Fallon
Fallon marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Derek Peffer
Derek Peffer marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Raymond Redvers Briggs is an English illustrator, cartoonist, graphic novelist, and author who has achieved critical and popular success among adults and children. He is best known for his story "The Snowman", which is shown every Christmas on British television in cartoon form and on the stage as a musical.

His first three major works, Father Christmas, Father Christmas Goes on Holiday (both featu
More about Raymond Briggs...
The Snowman Father Christmas Fungus the Bogeyman When the Wind Blows Ethel and Ernest