Start by marking “The Man” as Want to Read:
The Man

The Man

The man is a mystery in himself. He turns up at the boy's house from nowhere and seems intent on causing havoc for the boy. But as the old Chinese proverb says - after three days, fish and visitors begin to stink.
Published July 13th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man

Artemis
I used to listen to this on cassette (wow do I feel old now) when I was little.

'The Man' by Raymond Briggs is a unique, bittersweet story about the relationship between a growing boy and a short-tempered, funny man small enough to live in a drawer. Friendship and its needs are tested.

This picture book is the best kind of dialogue-heavy, because the character's voices are distinct, expressive and (nearly) always clashing. Sad ending, too - now that I think about it, it shows that it's okay for
Ashley Chance
Aug 21, 2012 Ashley Chance rated it it was amazing
‘The Man’ is a fictional story based on a tiny man who finds his way into a small boys (John) house and makes himself right at home. He is a moody, abrupt and at times comical character, whereby he insists that John should make him some clothes from his socks! The pair eventually clash and chaos ensues.

Briggs' tale allows the reader to escape from the mundane to a much more rather secretive minute existence from the Mans perspective, which for me as a school child was something unimaginable yet
Alfred
Aug 12, 2013 Alfred rated it really liked it
This book is written as a dialogue between a miniature man and a boy called John with pictures as part of the text. When the Man first appears in John’s bedroom, John thinks it is a dream but for the next 5 days, the Man is part of his life ,until he disappears as mysteriously as he came, leaving a note for John.

“The Man” was one of my favourite books when I was 6 and I was enchanted then, as I am now, by the nature of the friendship between the two characters as expressed through the pictures a
Verity
Beautiful story and wonderfully acted. I had a different experience entirely listening to this at 25. The meaning behind the story changes as you get older as with any childhood book.

It still made me laugh out loud and had me tearing up at the nostalgia it brought back.
Emkoshka
Jun 08, 2014 Emkoshka rated it liked it
Details the unlikely friendship between a demanding little man and a young boy while also reflecting on the dynamics that develop when guests overstay their welcome. I enjoyed the references to The Borrowers and Brigg's Snowman (check out the mug!).
Sophie Aitken
Oct 13, 2011 Sophie Aitken rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is about a young boy who one day wakes up to find a small living being in his room. The living being is very demanding, being a fussy eater. Due to his size and his existence in the house being a secret, he is unable to complete many tasks for himself. The boy is very kind and helps the small living being in all activities, including bathing him, preparing his food, cutting him some clothes, etc. The book describes both characters’ interactions over a three-day period, some pa ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Nov 23, 2014 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, graphic-novel
Quite cute. A boy is woken by a Borrower-sized man, who then commands him / demands / cajoles for a few days.
Rochelle Cook
Oct 05, 2011 Rochelle Cook rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Raymond Briggs fans
One of my childhood favourites that i will forever treasure.
It is brilliantly clever and comical. I could read it over and over and still smile and giggle at the beautiful illustrations and humorous dialogue.
As a child it truly captured my imagination and i found myself going around the house finding objects to bathe a little man in, or use as a miniature sleeping bag, just incase....
Kay
Aug 01, 2007 Kay rated it really liked it
A bit of a fractured fairy tale. A young boy, John, discovers a tiny man in his room one night. Initially delighted, the boy soon finds his diminutive visitor has out-of-proportion demands. The relationship of the boy and "The Man" is gently comic and subversively humorous in the best Briggs tradition.
Beverly
Jun 02, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
1992 Kurt Maschler Award
Interesting book. No narration, just the dialog between the boy and the miniature man. Some of the pages have panels, like a comic book. Briggs' illustrations are spot on.
Neil Munday
Feb 04, 2013 Neil Munday rated it really liked it
i like little people stories. They live around us..
James
James added it
Sep 30, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
Claudette
Claudette marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
sophie allen
sophie allen rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Mesocricetus Auratus
Mesocricetus Auratus marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Marian Thomas
Marian Thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Sarah added it
Aug 22, 2016
Ilia
Ilia added it
Aug 13, 2016
Portia Andrew
Portia Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Gaurav Kumar
Gaurav Kumar marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Rachel Dollahan
Rachel Dollahan marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mary Bryan
Mary Bryan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Myles
Myles rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Margaret Mackey
Margaret Mackey marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Raymond Redvers Briggs is an English illustrator, cartoonist, graphic novelist, and author who has achieved critical and popular success among adults and children. He is best known for his story "The Snowman", which is shown every Christmas on British television in cartoon form and on the stage as a musical.

His first three major works, Father Christmas, Father Christmas Goes on Holiday (both featu
More about Raymond Briggs...