Start by marking “The Elephant and the Bad Baby” as Want to Read:
The Elephant and the Bad Baby

The Elephant and the Bad Baby

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  494 ratings  ·  37 reviews
The Elephant takes the Bad Baby for a ride and they go 'rumpeta, rumpeta, rumpeta down the road.' They help themselves to ice creams, pies, buns, crisps, biscuits, lollipops and apples, and the shopkeepers follow them down the road shouting and waving. All ends well as the Bad Baby learns to say 'Please' and his mother makes pancakes for everyone.
Published August 30th 1971 by Puffin (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Elephant and the Bad Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elephant and the Bad Baby

·Karen·
This is one of those beautifully repetitive, rhythmic books that will have children finishing the sentence for you in no time, especially when the elephant goes rumpeta rumpeta rumpeta all down the road, perfect for the language beginner to learn the names of truly essential food items like cake, ice cream and biscuits, as well as the shops where the elephant takes a pie for himself and a pie for the bad baby .... there, you've got me doing it now too. And of course, even more essential than foo ...more
Cheryl
Surreal and magical. I love all the details in the pictures. Many little ones will like this read over and over again, crowing & giggling & chanting along each time... so it's a good thing the reader has interesting pictures to explore.
midnightfaerie
I enjoyed it, but my kids were a little bored. They had a hard time staying engaged with this one, even though I pointed out things in the picture and emphasized certain favorite words like ice cream, it didn't seem to help. I loved the use of the old-fashioned words like grocer and sweet shop, it helps to expand my 5-yr-olds vocabulary. But overall, we probably won't be reading this one again.
Tim Roast
The Elephant and the Bad Baby is one of my 3-year-old’s favourite books. It is an ideal bedtime story as it has a rhythm to it that can lull your child to sleep.

The elephant meets a bad baby so takes him for a ride. Along the way he asks if the bad baby would like buns, lollipops etc. from various shops they pass, and the bad baby always says yes. This leads to the shop owners such as the baker chasing after them in an ever increasing band. But the bad baby never once said please so gets his com
Fiona Prunty
“The Elephant and the Bad Baby” by Elfrida Vipoint and Raymond Briggs.
This is a fictional story about an elephant and a “bad” baby who wouldn’t say “please”. One day the elephant meets the bad baby and offers him a ride in to town. They go to several food shops and the elephant grabs the food that the baby wants. All the owners from the different shops are angry and they follow the bad baby and the elephant. Suddenly the elephant stops and the bad baby flies off and the elephant realises the bab
Clarissa
I love this book even though it makes no sense. The elephant gives the Bad Baby a ride on his back. At each store they pass the elephant asks the baby if he would like something from the store. When the baby says yes, the elephant takes the offered item and eats one and gives one to the baby. No money is exchanged. The store owners chase after the elephant and the baby. All of a sudden the elephant becomes upset that the baby never said please. He stops running away from the shopkeepers who are ...more
Susan
rumpeta rumpeta rumpeta.
Rosie Howard
In this story, an elephant goes on a walk through a town with a bad baby who he meets on the way. The two characters help themselves to whatever they fancy on their journey through the town, including taking ice cream from the ice cream man! The two characters are chased down the road by all the town folk who they have taken things from, until at the end the elephant comes to a halt as he realises the bad baby did once say please for all of the things he got for him.

On each page, after the elep
Zahara
The Elephant and the Bad Baby by Elfrida Vipont

A charming story of an elephant that befriends a little baby and shows him around town, taking food the baby would like to eat.

The trip around town begins at an ice cream van where the elephant asks the toddler if he would like an ice cream which the baby replies with a “yes”. The elephant then helps himself to an ice cream for the toddler and heads off with the unhappy ice cream man running after the both of them. Next, they pass a butcher’s shop.
Allison
Sep 16, 2011 Allison rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Toddlers & up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 BYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
What makes him a "bad" baby is that he doesn't say "please". The illustrations and story are humorous but I don't personally like the labeling of the baby as "bad". I don't like labeling in general to begin with and I could see an insecure child internalizing the sense that they are "bad" for forgetting to say "please".

Also, as someone who recognizes missed opportunities and feels compelled to point them out, the elephant could have been pointing out to the baby at each event that it needed to s
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

The Bad Baby goes for a ride with the Elephant. The Elephant uses his long trunk to take ice cream from the ice cream man and meat pies from the butcher and buns from the baker and gingersnaps from the snackshop man and chocolate cookies from the grocer and lollipops from the lady from the candy store and apples from the fruit and vegetable man. The ice cream man and the baker and the butcher and the snackshop man and the grocer and the lady from the candy store and the fruit an
Paul Grogan
Gem of a story about being ungrateful and a lack of manners. Superb illustrations, but as importantly a joy to read out loud.
Kettlestitch Press
Rumpeta, rumpeta, let's read it many many times.
I'm guessing that the reason my two year old loves this story so much is the repetition, rumpeta rumpeta rumpeta, and he likes to point out all the yummy treats that the elephant offers the baby. My concern is not that the baby never said please. It's not even the fact that the elephant is free to roam around town stealing from hard working shop keepers. My concern is why is the baby out & about alone to be picked up by an elephant in the first place? Bad parenting.
Noah
Use of the word bad throughout to describe a baby who is incapable of moral judgement is distasteful.
Removal altogether of the word bad from the story makes it far more enjoyable.
Kate
For whatever reason, my kids LOVE this book. I think it is because the baby is always referred to as "the bad baby" and the elephant always goes "rumpeta, rumpeta, rumpeta."

This book is repetitive and building, like The Gingerbread Boy, so that as the elephant and the bad baby make their way down the street, a new townsperson is added with each turn of the page. The end is ridiculous, but satisfying.

Joanna
My son smiled throughout the entire reading. His eight year old cousin read the book to him. The 8 year old says he liked it - not alot. He didn't like the reiteration of 'the baker, the butcher..' etc. because "too many words." I'll have to disregard this criticism. I love that both boys, despite their four year age difference, were able to enjoy the same book together.
Carla Acheson
My five year old son adores this book. He has loved it for a couple of years, and it is definitely a favourite. I'm almost ashamed to say how much I enjoy it too when he isn't around ;)
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Emkoshka
Another very English book involving a baby and where the denouement means tea for all. A good one for cumulative repetition, but it got a bit tiring after awhile. Still, good on the elephant for holding the baby accountable for bad manners. So very English, indeed!
Michelle Brandstetter
EL Skills - Print motivation, & phonological awareness. Activities - Read & talk. I can remember our oldest trying and trying to win at a carnival game to get his little brother his very first elephant. He named her Missy.
Tweedledum
One of my children's all time favourite bedtime reading books. Between the ages of 1 and 4. What a naughty pair the elephant and the bad baby are. And what fun they have! A great moral in the story too.
Rebekah
This is another favorite from childhood. My niece loves it too and has started to recite the book with me as I read. Who wouldn't want to ride around on an elephant that steals treats for you?
Kyrie
I liked the idea of an elephant running through town, taking stuff and then getting angry because his companion in crime didn't say "please". Also, I liked the way it got resolved.
Heather
The illustrations in this book were very cute. I was skeptical at first with a book using the words 'bad baby' but it was okay. Nothing bad. A cute little book. And it flowed well.
April
Kind of like the gingerbread man...except the elephant and the baby cause a ruckus...we still aren't exactly sure WHY the baby is bad; but by the end he fixes it! :)
Tanya
Rumpeta, rumpeta, rumpeta...a fun adventure, but times have changed and it is no longer acceptable to label a child as a "bad baby." nice illustrations
Camille
A wonderful book, with some really great illustrations! Plus it teaches kids about the consequences of naughty behaviour!
Jamie
I prefer the British version of this book. It's a really cute story and introduces new words to children.
Karrina
Got a bit tedious after a bit but my son liked the "rumpeta rumpeta" bits, for that is gets 2 stars from me
  • Mister Magnolia
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Handa's Surprise: Read and Share
  • Mr. Gumpy's Outing
  • Whatever
  • Mr. Archimedes' Bath
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • The Baby's Catalogue
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • Dirty Bertie
  • Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World
  • Miffy
  • Rosie's Walk
  • Meg and Mog
Born in Manchester in 1902, Elfrida Vipont Brown was the daughter of devout Quakers, and was educated at Manchester High School, before studying history at Manchester University, and singing in Paris, London and Leipzig. She worked for a time as a professional singer (experience she would use in her books), married research technologist R.P. Foulds in 1929, and had four daughters. Vipont published ...more
More about Elfrida Vipont...
The Lark in the Morn (The Haverard Family, #1) The Lark on the Wing (The Haverard Family, #2) The Spring of the Year (The Haverard Family, #3) The Pavilion (The Haverard Family, #5) Flowering Spring