Start by marking “The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ” as Want to Read:
The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ

The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  36 reviews

Kelly Minter explores what it meansin real lifeto "clothe" ourselves (Col. 3:12) in Christian virtues like forgiveness, joy, patience, compassion, and more. Can we really "dress up" in the character of Christ? Kelly Minter says the answer is yesif we let the Master Designer do the fitting. This relatable book offers insightful Scripture study with real-life stories and sim

Published April 1st 2011 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about The Fitting Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fitting Room

Brooke
I cannot stress enough how important this book was (is) to me. It took me at least a month to get through it - that never happens. I had to go back and re-read chapters and really pray about the conviction weighing on my heart throughout this book. A-MAZING. I see it as a must read for everyone who strives to live out the virtues of Christ. It's something I'll definitely continue to refer back to often!
Mary Ann
The Fitting Room teaches us about Putting On The Character Of Christ. The book is based on Colossians 3:12 that says "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience".

Kelly Minter uses the analogy of fashion as a way of relating how we wear the 'virtues'... but she is quick to point out that "The Christian virtues are not something we can slap on ourselves like cutout paper dolls. They come as a result of h
Sunflower
"The Fitting Room" is a very down to earth, discussion, one may have with a close friend or at bible study about putting the "character of Christ" as we go through our daily lives.
Short chapters, laidback style, engaging anecdotal stories and scripture, "The Fitting Room" talks about the clothing of our character that is shown in and through Jesus Christ.
This is a book that discusses that, yes, life isn't going to be perfect, we're not going to be perfect, but Jesus Christ, through what He has d
Tim
I enjoy Minter's writing, even if this book seems to assume an entirely female audience and the self-deprecating humor became a bit overdone by the end. I picked it up as free e-book and was interested in how she would talk about Colossians 3. The book offers a solid exposition of the meaning of the various words the chapter contains and a challenge to put on that new self. Perhaps not enough church in the talk of discipleship, but good nonetheless.
Deborah
This book really helped me deal with some issues as the holidays approached. Minter is easy to read and will make you smile even as she hits close to home on certain subjects. I think this would be a great book for a group discussion. I know there is one question posed in the discussion section that I would love to have group input on: "What is the relationship between patience and mercy? In what ways are you lacking in mercy, and therefore in patience?" Impatience is something I've been working ...more
Linda
As little girls, it’s fun to play “dress-up” and with “paper dolls.” As women, getting fitted for a prom dress, bridesmaid gown, or even a bridal gown. Kelly Minter, in her book, The Fitting Room, has provided a means for a spiritual makeover, one that lasts for eternity, by putting on the character of Christ.

Kelly’s book has a down-to-earth feel to it, but she’s truly concerned about our spiritual growth. She feels like a friend sitting next to you and sharing spiritual truths while being trans
Meghan
This is a portion of the comment I left on the {in}courage "Bloom Book Club" post wrapping up the series:

This book appropriately and genuinely exalts Jesus.

The last few chapters on humility, compassion, and patience have been all up in my grill. Is that the right phrase? ;) I needed the gentle reminder at the end of the book of the Truth that proceeded the list of virtues: that I am loved. And a great quote I came across tonight from C.S. Lewis encapsulates the life-long journey of taking off th
Abbie Riddle
Struggling with self-image? Have you ever wondered what true beauty is? Tired of trying to meet the world's standards of beauty? When you look in the mirror what do you see?

Come learn how God sees you and become the image bearer of the Great Designer. Be clothed in His glory and beauty. Become the woman you have always wanted to be - stunning, beautiful, breath-taking, lovely! Throw out that old wardrobe and exchange it for a heavenly one!

Based on Colossians 2 Kelly Minter encourages readers to
Sharon
I absolutely adore Kelly Minter's writing style. She is down to earth and very real, and her use of written language is beautiful. The style alone makes this a pleasurable book to read. However, the content is what makes it excellent. She brings the practicality of living this Christian life into the real world. Knowing that we are chosen and made holy by Him establishes the foundation for clothing ourselves in the virtues of Christ. She then explores each attribute in detail and in a way that w ...more
Kathy
Kelly Minter has an enjoyable writing style. Her observation of life provides great insights from a fun and witty perspective. Each chapter takes on a character quality that we are to "put on" in our responses to life.

My book club slowly read this book as we simultaneously read novels that exemplified (positively or negatively) the character quality. This was a great approach as it gave us meaty discussions around the fictional novels.
Adrianne
Great book for small groups! Kelly Minter does an excellent job of not just talking about the virtues listed in Colossians 3:12 but she also breaks down the entire verse from start to finish. What does it mean to be chosen, dearly loved, justified, and holy. She's witty and graceful in the way she writes...and most importantly it's full of truth. I would highly recommend this for small groups and even to read as an individual.
Gail
Read this for our bible study supper group and we discussed a couple of chapters at each meeting. Easy to read style with good illustrations, we are enjoying Kelly Minter's books. The last few chapters on humility, compassion and patience were a good reminder and to see that selfishness gets in the way of wearing many of these virtues. A good one to go back and re-read to absorb more!
Nichole Toms
Kelly Minter has a deep, yet witty style that was easy to read. I appreciate someone who can unpack the deeper truths of Scripture while also making me laugh by her real-world commentary. That is a difficult skill to pull off. I only had to read the first few pages of her book to get hooked. Kelly is from Reston, VA. Her father is the head paster at Reston Bible Church.
Kelly Minter feels like someone you want to be friends with. Shes's insightful, honest, funny, and says things you've thought but never realized or admitted. I like this book but just like most Christian books, there's so much I want to remember and take away that its a bit overwhelming. But it's something I would recommend and will probably read again.
Catie
While the author doesn't say anything that I haven't hear before, she has a fresh perspective on what it means to "Put On the Character of Christ." She uses a lot of her own experiences as examples and by doing this is very relatable. I really enjoyed and was very much encouraged by this book. (I downloaded this ebook for free from Amazon.)
Nina Olivos
I love that this book is based on a small portion of scripture; each chapter dedicated to diggin deeper to the meaning of the virtues given to us by Paul the Apostle.
Kelly is able to breathe new meaning into simple familiar words with great insight, wittiness, and humble storytelling. I adored this book!
Melody Raines
I downloaded this as a free ebook, and I'm grateful for the gift. I thought it was a Bible study, though, so I was a little disappointed to find that it was a regular book. Kelly's a good writer with a tender soul. This would be a good gift for a friend with an artist's heart.
Elisha Baker
I loved this book. The authors straight-forward approach and honesty were very refreshing. She goes thru the different characteristics of Christ and tackles the topics of legalism and "do goodism". I would definitely read this again and would love to do it as a group study.
Denise
I had a little trouble getting into this book, but as I read more I was continually encouraged and drawn into it. I loved her writing style and complete honesty. She shared lows and highs and how life is a combination, even as we're growing closer to Christ.
Melissa
A couple chapters I think she could have been more outward focused instead of mostly just telling us her experience, but overall I really learned a lot about myself and what God has done for me and how I can live out these virtues because of Him.
Cmhwolfe
May 10, 2011 Cmhwolfe is currently reading it
Reading this for an in home weekly study with 6 other women. I find that Kelly Minter has a fresh voice and has an amazing way of taking the WORD and showing how it applies to the modern world. I look forward to completing this study.
Michelle Walker
This book takes apart Colossians 3:12, which tells us to "clothe" ourselves in virtues like peace, patience, kindness, forgiveness and compassion. I like her style of writing, and her warmth and humor made this a pleasure to read.
Amy
Aug 28, 2011 Amy added it
what a remarkable book about the characteristics of Christ. I felt like it was easy to read and she had a lot of humor. Made me feel like these things are achievable and would recommend this book to any christian, new or not.
Christi
Amazing. Kelly is so honest about herself that it's more like having a conversation with a good friend than reading a book. Her insights are helpful and you can feel her love coming through her words.
Acarrawa
Very well done. Insightful. Thought-provoking. Challenging. Doctrinally sound. I definitely recommend this book - for men as well as for women. I look forward to reading more of Kelly Minter's work.
Adrianna
Didn't want to finish because it's utterly boring and repetitive. Not very helpful or insightful at all. Then again, it's very hard trying to find a Christian book that's really good.
Katie Casey
I love Kelly Minter's conversational writing style and how she peppers this inspirational book with both formal Bible teaching as well as fun personal stories from her own experiences.
Barbara
Enjoyed because of it's simplicity. Kelly did not sugar coat the truth that she struggles with these characteristics of Christ in her own life. Will be on my to read again list!
Jill
One of the inCourage Bloom Book Club books - I appreciate that she discusses putting on the character of Christ in the context of God's work in us to transform us.
Carla
I really enjoyed this book. It challenged me and made me think of a few things differently without being preachy. The author is very real!!
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • Lazarus Awakening: Finding Your Place in the Heart of God
  • My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife: A One-Year Experiment...and Its Surprising Results
  • Meet Mrs. Smith: My Adventures with Six Kids, One Rockstar Husband, and a Heart to Fight Poverty
  • Passport through Darkness: A True Story of Danger and Second Chances
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
  • The God Who Sees You: Look to Him When You Feel Discouraged, Forgotten, or Invisible
  • God's Story, Your Story: When His Becomes Yours
  • Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe
  • A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty
  • Delirious: My Journey with the Band, a Growing Family, and an Army of Historymakers
  • More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life with God
  • PrayerWalk: Becoming a Woman of Prayer, Strength, and Discipline
  • Godspeed: Making Christ's Mission Your Own
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • Raising a Daughter After God's Own Heart
Kelly lives in Nashville, Tennessee, and serves the Lord passionately both across the U.S. and internationally in a variety of creative roles. An acclaimed author, musician, Bible study creator and teacher, she is passionate to see women impacted by Jesus and His Word.

Growing up outside of Washington, DC, Kelly was raised in a Christian home, the oldest of four children and daughter of a pastor. H
More about Kelly Minter...
No Other gods: Confronting Our Modern Day Idols Nehemiah Member Book: A Heart That Can Break Ruth: Loss, Love & Legacy - Member Book Wherever the River Runs: How a Forgotten People Renewed My Hope in the Gospel No Other Gods - Confronting Our Modern Day Idols | Member Book

“When we live out of pride, we are left to tirelessly protect the single seed of life, but when we live with the posture of humility and die to ourselves, we allow God to turn our one life into an abundant harvest that reaches so far beyond ourselves we will scarcely believe what God can do with a single life that chooses to die in the soil of His hands.” 6 likes
“It's much easier to blow our moral police horns on all those transgressors running around than it is to live penetrating lives of holiness.” 2 likes