Start by marking “All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art” as Want to Read:
All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art

All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art

Successful restaurateurs have always known that adding "roasted" to a dish guarantees immediate appeal. Molly Stevens brings her trademark thoroughness and eye for detail to the technique of roasting. She breaks down when to use high heat, moderate heat, or low heat to produce juicy, well-seared meats, caramelized drippings, and concentrated flavors. Her 150 recipes featur ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about All About Roasting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All About Roasting

Erika
I got this from the library to read the section on the science of roasting. I couldn't put it down. It is massive so I didn't read the entire book but it was fascinating to understand what I kind of knew from the feel of cooking to a scientific oh this is why this works kind of way. Delicious recipes too.
Tanya
Jan 17, 2012 Tanya rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Michele Todd, Nedra Fleming, anyone that enjoys cooking
Recommended to Tanya by: My father
Shelves: cookbook
So far this book looks absolutely beautiful. I love to cook and I have always wanted to know how to roast food perfectly every time. I tend to use my slow cooker for roasts since I can rarely afford more expensive cuts. I love how the author talks about the history of roasting and how different methods of roasting works for different cuts and varieties of meat and foods. I look forward to trying some of the recipes and see how it works out for me.

The author is someone that is an "expert" or roas
Kirsten
Mar 21, 2012 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Carnivores who like to cook!
Normally I don't read cookbooks cover to cover, but roasting is something I know very little about, and I ended up getting fascinated by all the techniques and all the delicious food. The only thing I've made from this cookbook so far was roasted Brussels sprouts. They came out PERFECT. The only thing I longed for in this book was more photos, but I suspect that they were left out due to space considerations: it's already a massive tome, and if there were photos of every dish it'd be twice as bi ...more
Heather
Feb 27, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This book is a wonderful treasure trove of information about roasting, from techniques and tested cookware, to various cuts of meat and how they can be purchased, trimmed, and complemented with vegetables or spices. There are awesome sauce and rub recipes as well as tons of great illustrations. It covers all the major meat groups from beef to seafood. A must have!
Kyla
Dec 08, 2012 Kyla rated it it was amazing
This is a have-to-own and I knew it after just idly flipping through it. I don't even eat much meat but this book is so full of information and delicious looking recipes for vegetables and meat that I have to have it.
Marsha
Aug 06, 2012 Marsha rated it it was amazing
Wow this is a wonderful book for me. I've read at least 3 different techniques I want to try. Love the section on the science of roasting. Very cool book.... I'll have to renew for another 3 weeks to re-read some sections.
Joel
Feb 11, 2012 Joel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-book
Very insightful and inspirational. Thoroughly enjoyed this suburb book on one of my favorite subjects, Roasting. Molly Stevens writes well, giving us a taste of the motivation behind the book when she shares her Ah Ha moment in researching All About Roasting. This is a great book.
Christine
Mar 05, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
Molly Stevens shares an encyclopedic knowledge of roasting. She provides more information about the techniques and science behind roasting than I will probably ever need - interesting none the less.

We tried the pork shoulder recipe. I recommend it.
Andrea Nguyen
Mar 04, 2012 Andrea Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Molly gives great detailed instructions. The organization of the recipes -- from simple to complex, teaches cooks about building flavors. Made the tri-tip with chimichurri last weekend and both were terrific.
Amanda
Jul 12, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Must own
Heather
Jan 25, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Masterpiece. Classic. Will buy for my collection of cookbooks.
Linda
Jan 16, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
More about method than about unusual combinations of ingredients.
Amanda
Feb 20, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Absolutely every recipe my husband has followed comes out of the oven tasting AMAZING and looking like the delicious photos in this book.
Leah
Sep 29, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing
I use this cookbook on a weekly basis. The roasted grapes zomg. That is all.
Anonymous
Sep 20, 2012 Anonymous rated it really liked it
A book with this much material and technique should be more than $35!!!
Carolin
Feb 21, 2012 Carolin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
this book is fantastic. My favorite recipe is "Sausage- and prune-stuffed roast pork loin with brandy cream sauce"
Monique
Jan 07, 2015 Monique rated it really liked it
Extremely informative with instructions and pictures on how to roast just about anything from meat to fish to vegetables. I may buy this book.
Beka
Feb 23, 2012 Beka rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Delicious looking pictures and great ideas. Can't wait to try the recipe for roasted corn!
Jamie
Jul 02, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it

Found it interesting how I actually got pulled into reading a cookbook. Has tons of good tips and resources.
robin
robin rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Mrs.
Mrs. rated it really liked it
May 13, 2012
camie marter
camie marter rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Karen Faine
Karen Faine rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2012
Jessica Cole
Jessica Cole rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2016
David
David rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2012
Paul Cropper
Paul Cropper rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2016
Charmaine Brouard
Charmaine Brouard rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • The Food of Morocco
  • Lidia's Italy in America
  • The Mozza Cookbook: Recipes from Los Angeles's Favorite Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends: New Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop
  • Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking
  • Slow Cooker Revolution
  • The Italian Baker
Molly Stevens is the author of All About Roasting and All About Braising, both of which won both the James Beard and the IACP cookbook awards. A contributing editor at Fine Cooking magazine, she lives near Burlington, Vermont. She travels and teaches cooking classes around the country.
More about Molly Stevens...