All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art

All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Successful restaurateurs have always known that adding "roasted" to a dish guarantees immediate appeal. Molly Stevens brings her trademark thoroughness and eye for detail to the technique of roasting. She breaks down when to use high heat, moderate heat, or low heat to produce juicy, well-seared meats, caramelized drippings, and concentrated flavors. Her 150 recipes featur...more
Published November 1st 2011 by W. W. Norton & Company

Erika
I got this from the library to read the section on the science of roasting. I couldn't put it down. It is massive so I didn't read the entire book but it was fascinating to understand what I kind of knew from the feel of cooking to a scientific oh this is why this works kind of way. Delicious recipes too.
Tanya
Apr 14, 2012 Tanya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Michele Todd, Nedra Fleming, anyone that enjoys cooking
Recommended to Tanya by: My father
Shelves: cookbook
So far this book looks absolutely beautiful. I love to cook and I have always wanted to know how to roast food perfectly every time. I tend to use my slow cooker for roasts since I can rarely afford more expensive cuts. I love how the author talks about the history of roasting and how different methods of roasting works for different cuts and varieties of meat and foods. I look forward to trying some of the recipes and see how it works out for me.

The author is someone that is an "expert" or roas...more
Kirsten
Apr 09, 2012 Kirsten rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Carnivores who like to cook!
Normally I don't read cookbooks cover to cover, but roasting is something I know very little about, and I ended up getting fascinated by all the techniques and all the delicious food. The only thing I've made from this cookbook so far was roasted Brussels sprouts. They came out PERFECT. The only thing I longed for in this book was more photos, but I suspect that they were left out due to space considerations: it's already a massive tome, and if there were photos of every dish it'd be twice as bi...more
Heather
This book is a wonderful treasure trove of information about roasting, from techniques and tested cookware, to various cuts of meat and how they can be purchased, trimmed, and complemented with vegetables or spices. There are awesome sauce and rub recipes as well as tons of great illustrations. It covers all the major meat groups from beef to seafood. A must have!
Joel
Very insightful and inspirational. Thoroughly enjoyed this suburb book on one of my favorite subjects, Roasting. Molly Stevens writes well, giving us a taste of the motivation behind the book when she shares her Ah Ha moment in researching All About Roasting. This is a great book.
Christine
Molly Stevens shares an encyclopedic knowledge of roasting. She provides more information about the techniques and science behind roasting than I will probably ever need - interesting none the less.

We tried the pork shoulder recipe. I recommend it.
Marsha
Wow this is a wonderful book for me. I've read at least 3 different techniques I want to try. Love the section on the science of roasting. Very cool book.... I'll have to renew for another 3 weeks to re-read some sections.
Kyla
This is a have-to-own and I knew it after just idly flipping through it. I don't even eat much meat but this book is so full of information and delicious looking recipes for vegetables and meat that I have to have it.
Andrea Nguyen
Molly gives great detailed instructions. The organization of the recipes -- from simple to complex, teaches cooks about building flavors. Made the tri-tip with chimichurri last weekend and both were terrific.
Jamie

Found it interesting how I actually got pulled into reading a cookbook. Has tons of good tips and resources.
Carolin
this book is fantastic. My favorite recipe is "Sausage- and prune-stuffed roast pork loin with brandy cream sauce"
Beka
Delicious looking pictures and great ideas. Can't wait to try the recipe for roasted corn!
Morgan
I loved tha balance of information, photography, history and recipes in this book. Amazing.
Heather
Love this book. Masterpiece. Classic. Will buy for my collection of cookbooks.
Anonymous
A book with this much material and technique should be more than $35!!!
Amanda
Must own
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
John
John is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Jul 01, 2014
Clay Bryant
Clay Bryant marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
D May
D May marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Brian Powell
Brian Powell marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Molly Stevens is the author of All About Roasting and All About Braising, the latter of which won both the James Beard and the IACP cookbook awards. A contributing editor at Fine Cooking magazine, she lives near Burlington, Vermont.
More about Molly Stevens...
All about Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking The 150 Best American Recipes: Indispensable Dishes from Legendary Chefs and Undiscovered Cooks The Best American Recipes 2005-2006 The Best American Recipes 2004-2005 New England (Williams-Sonoma New American Cooking)