Start by marking “Cruciform: Living the Cross-Shaped Life” as Want to Read:
Cruciform: Living the Cross-Shaped Life

Cruciform: Living the Cross-Shaped Life

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  12 reviews
What is the Cross-Shaped Life? It is the vertical life of loving God with all your head, heart, and hands; and the horizontal life of loving others as Christ has loved you.

Employing the symbols of the cruciform cathedral and the Celtic cross, Jimmy Davis uses personal stories, both humorous and heart-breaking, to encourage and equip the reader to gain a cross-shaped persp
Published March 23rd 2011 by Cruciform Press

To ask other readers questions about Cruciform, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cruciform

Henry
A first-class book on what living in light of the cross of Christ involves. Jimmy Davis has given us a wonderful summary of the foundation of Christian living.
Jeanie
A Cruciform life is a life that is reflecting the cross. It is a you-first heart that focuses on God and his purposes for his glory. It is all about the glory and the glory living. Just like in sports, their is glory when a team comes together for the purpose of winning and taking the crown. The same should be done in our christian life as well. Davis does a fine job of what a cruicform life looks like and how easy it is to fall into traps of self-righteouness and a work-centered living. The sto ...more
Janet
Apr 10, 2011 Janet rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who wants a deeper understanding of the Christian life
Recommended to Janet by: Christine Davis
Jimmy lays a great, thoughtful foundation for the reality of the spiritual disciplines. He emphasizes that we are all being spiritually formed in one way or another... As Bob Dylan so aptly put it,
"But you’re gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You’re gonna have to serve somebody
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you’re gonna have to serve somebody."

In the same way, we are being formed by somebody, by the choices we make moment by moment in our lives.

As I reflect on the mess
Mark A Powell
The Christian life and the spiritual disciplines that accompany it are often mysterious and elusive to professing believers. Davis addresses this with a reminder that “living for Jesus” is not self-empowered effort but grace-dependent service in the power and truth of the cross. Christian service isn’t to earn God’s favor; it reminds believers that they have God’s favor in Jesus. Though brief, Davis writes with winsomeness that endears readers and encourages them to rely on Christ.
Elizabeth Turnage
Aug 01, 2011 Elizabeth Turnage rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to experience more joy in living a life shaped by the gospel
What shape is your faith in?
Jimmy Davis’s challenging little gem of a book invites us to consider living a cruciform life, that is, a life formed by the cross of Christ. A quick read with a long impact, Cruciform Life describes how we were created and redeemed to be cruciform and then shows us what a cruciform living looks like. With engaging stories and solid Scriptural teaching, this is a book I will return to over and over to remember the gospel call of discipleship.
Marguerite Harrell
I do have this book in e-book format and just started reading this afternoon. Great book to read! It will make you cry because it did make me cry in this book.
Phil Wade
A solid, personal book on basic Christianity
Kara
Excellent! Review coming soon.
Michael Wehrle
This book was quite predictable, an easy read. It really wasn't all that deep, and to be honest, I read it so fast, I didn't become interested enough in it. I know the message was good, about living an outward mission based, "you-first" life, instead of a "me-first", but the book never really caught on to me.
Jared Totten
New author. New publisher. Both are dealing with some growing pains in their early efforts, but I expect great things in the future!
Becky Arnold

Review to follow. I want to reread before I review it.
Shaynor Newsome
Shaynor Newsome marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Noah Kiser
Noah Kiser marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Matteo
Matteo marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Brandon Dickson
Brandon Dickson marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Justin Edgar
Justin Edgar marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Jonathan Franzone
Jonathan Franzone marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Jonathan Tomes
Jonathan Tomes marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Mar 01, 2014
Mark Helfrich
Mark Helfrich marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Corrine
Corrine marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
John Conable
John Conable marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Floyd
Floyd is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
3520027
JIMMY DAVIS loves being married to Christine, with whom he shares the adventure of raising three great kids and a Havanese puppy named Charlie. Jimmy earned an M. A. in Christian Education and M. A. in Biblical Studies from Dallas Theological Seminary, and is an ordained teaching elder in the Presbyterian Church in America. In over 20 years of ministry he has served as a pastor to youth and colleg ...more
More about Jimmy Davis...