Start by marking “Life After Forty” as Want to Read:
Life After Forty

Life After Forty (Christine #1)

3.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  559 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
When Christine's husband of ten years dumps her over the phone while she watches a Hugh Grant film she is sent spinning on a cathartic, self-medicated journey to the land of self-acceptance and self-reliance. Surrounded by her sister and a strong support group of friends, Christine learns how to deal with the horrors of dating, finding new appliances, and the exhilarating ...more
Published April 21st 2011 by AmazonCrossing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Life After Forty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life After Forty

Jana
Feb 09, 2012 Jana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich hatte Urlaub mit Papa von Dora Heldt durch Zufall in einem Hostel gefunden während ich in den letzten drei Monaten dort gereist bin. Weil ich gerade nichts andres las dachte ich mir, ich könnte dieses Buch ja mal anfangen denn es klang wirklich lustig. Ich habe das Buch bereits nach einem Tag durch gehabt weil ich die Geschichte super fand! Total lustig geschrieben und eine super Reiselektüre! Da ich danach rausfand, dass dies jedoch schon der dritte Teil einer ganzen Serie ist, habe ich mir ...more
Cathe Olson
Given the book description and that this was supposedly a bestseller in Germany, I was expecting an entertaining, poignant read but I struggled through 100 pages and finally gave up. Life is just too short to spend on such bad writing. I don't know if it's the translation or the original book, but this is just painful to read--the dialogue especially. But even more than the bad writing, it's rather hard to feel so much sympathy for the main character. Yes, she is going through a divorce which I ...more
Tomjerry1
Mar 08, 2016 Tomjerry1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich hätte nie gedacht, dass mir dieses Buch so gefallen würde. Ich habe zwar im Vorfeld schon so einiges über Dora Heldt gehört und von ihren Büchern, aber zu diesem Zeitpunkt sprachen sie mich nicht wirklich an. Da ich aber dennoch durch Zufalle an ihre Bücher gekommen bin, habe ich es sie behalten und nun suchte ich einfach etwas kurzweiliges und schnell zu lesen und da dieses Buch nur etwas mehr als 200 Seiten, habe ich einfach mal reingelesen und es erst wieder zur Seite gelegt, als ich durc ...more
Norma Huss
May 30, 2014 Norma Huss rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-mystery
I could file this under non-romance. The main character turns forty in the midst of the book, however, in the beginning, her husband calls her while she's on a business trip to break up with her. It's a complete shock to her, although, on reflection, she realizes their romance has rather died down. The story covers the following year, how she handles the situation and others that come up, the new friends, and new life she makes for herself.

This is an English translation of a German best seller.
Melissa Hayes
Jul 09, 2012 Melissa Hayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a predictable book about a woman about to turn forty whose husband leaves her. Her friends help her through the transition to the next phase of her life. It is good to have friends! Just makes me appreciate mine!
Debs
Nov 25, 2011 Debs rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rubbishpie! Sloppy translation, weak storyline, thin characters. Dont waste your time with this.
Molly
May 26, 2014 Molly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really thought I would enjoy this book, having gone through a similar life change at the same time...but Christine is to whiney for me. She has great friends who rally around her, although they have a total double standard. Christine's husband has been cheating on her and asks for a divorce they are all expectedly outraged. But when Christine is the other woman, they are all fine with it, she should do what makes her feel good.

The book takes place over the course of a year, but it also jumps f
lee madline
Feb 22, 2014 lee madline rated it it was amazing
Great book, I could relate to this book. It was like I was reliving my divorce all over again. But this time it was watching someone else go through w h at I did. So glad I read this book!

Great read
so good to read about someone else going through what I did. this helped me get through some of th o seem s a me f
Sho
Aug 13, 2012 Sho added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Oh dear. Where to start?
I got this as a Kindle Deal of the Day (thank goodness, I would have hated to have paid full price for this) and only realised as I started reading that it has been translated from German.

So first to the subject matter: nearly-40-year-old suddenly finds out that her husband wants a divorce. She moves to a flat and lives the single life...

Could be an interesting fluffy, light holiday read.

Now, I am not bilingual, but I am as near as dammit bilingual and I can spot a bad tr
Laurel-Rain
Apr 20, 2011 Laurel-Rain rated it really liked it
Getting dumped by telephone in the middle of a Hugh Grant film is the beginning of Christine's surprising new journey. Finding answers to why her ten year marriage is ending so inexplicably forces her to reevaluate the life she thought she had and to explore what she wants to do next.

We follow her as she begins living a great single life in Hamburg, even as she approaches her fortieth birthday, and we empathize with her emotions that are, by turns, confusing, lonely, and exhilarating.

Friends hel
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Set in Germany, this international chick lit is a great read for the older chick lit fans! Our main character Christine, finds herself in the midst of a marriage that is falling apart piece by piece. She ends up single in the city about to turn 40 and wondering what to do from there. Her story starts there and ends in a completely different spot, it was fun to see where her journey would take her and who would be with her in the end.

Although I am not one to enjoy a book that doesn't take place
Jane
Sep 05, 2012 Jane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst books I've ever read. I hope something was left out in the translation, because otherwise, the author has written characters and a plot line that would even support a comic strip. My guess is the author decided to try to Germanize "Sex in the City." The city is Hamburg--no complaints about that. The only sex act described in any detail happened when Christine, the lead character, and an old childhood friend, have a lot to drink and decide they "want" each other, resultin ...more
Domic
Naja. Kann man sich vorlesen lassen. Auch wenn die nölige Stimme der Autorin nicht so meins ist. Und die Story ist auch irgendwie immer die gleiche bei ihr, hab ich das Gefühl: Enddreissigerin wird aus heiterem Himmel vom Gatten verlassen und entdeckt, dass das Leben ohne Kerl noch viiiiel toller ist. Naja. War ausgeliehen aus der Bücherei, dafür ist es ok. Aber kaufen würde ich mir das nicht. Warum lässt Frau Heldt nicht Caroline Peters nochmal was von ihr lesen - DAS fand ich toll!
Wendy
Aug 19, 2015 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, I read several reviews that really recommended this book, so I was hoping to get an entertaining read, but this was really disappointing. I've read other books on this theme: women of a certain age starting over or reassessing their lives. The books are usually funny and poignant at times. This just felt like a listing of events in her life, a kind of boring one at that. No insights were gained, none of this made me smile let alone laugh. Just blah.
Brina
Jul 29, 2011 Brina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Als Christine ein Wochenende bei ihrer Schwester in Hamburg verbringt, ruft sie abends nichtsahnend ihren Mann zuhause an. Doch dieser erklärt ihr ziemlich schnell, dass er sich von ihr trennen will.

Nach einer durchgeweinten Nacht stellt sich Christine der Situation und fährt nach Hause, um das Gespräch mit ihrem Mann zu suchen. Nach einem letzten, scheiternden Gespräch packt Christine ihre Sachen und zieht nach Hamburg, wo sie versucht ein neues Leben zu beginnen. Jedoch ist dies nicht so einfa
Brina
Jul 29, 2011 Brina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Vivian
Jun 20, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Translated from German (a best-seller in Germany), it was witty and charming. After 10 years of marriage, Christine was asked for a divorce. Over the phone. To later find out that her husband has been having an affair with her best friend! With a little help from her friends, she learns what to do with life's lemons and that turning 40 can be fabulous.
May 12, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
An easy and enjoyable read.

I like the simplicity of the story along with the heartfelt real true feelings it had to offer, along with a giggle thrown in the right spots.
Miki
Apr 29, 2012 Miki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When your husband of 10 years suddenly dumps you over a phone call, what do you do? For Christine, an almost 40-year old book rep in a small town outside Hamburg, it sets her off on a journey of both the mundane - finding a new apartment, buying furniture, and rediscovering who she is in this new part of her life. Translated from German, this is a quiet book in many ways - a woman reconnecting with her friends, finding new friends, and finding some new version of herself. I enjoyed seeing the sm ...more
Jackie
Nov 02, 2014 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a great book, but not bad. The title and the book so not match in my opinion. It was a quick, easy read. I was entertained enough to read it on a lazy Saturday afternoon.
Monica
May 19, 2014 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book, easy read, I enjoyed the story line as I could relate to some of what the main character was going through. I only paid .99 so well worth it. :)
Kristi Phillips
Blah

I kept waiting for the humor mentioned in the book summary and it never came. Too many affairs and cigarettes for my taste.
Michelle
Jan 12, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was irritating. Somehow I think its lost in translation from German to English. Some parts of the book I actually skimmed over, followed by a roll of my eyes when Christine goes furniture shopping. I liked that it was set in Germany and Dora did emphasise some of the cities. I did finish the book, just.
Renee
Why isn't this woman concerned about the two personalities in her head she talks to? I might have an easier time being sympathetic with her if she wasn't hearing voices.
Erica
May 10, 2014 Erica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I highly recommend it to anyone who likes chick lit. I'm looking forward to reading more books by Dora Heldt.
Valentine8
Für mich das schwächste Buch der Christine-Reihe. Die anderen fand ich viel viel witziger.
Und aus der Gender-Perspektive - Ist da die Botschaft: Frau braucht einen Mann oder genügend Geld und Rotwein, um die Traurigkeit in Luxus-Shopping und Alkohol zu ertränken?
Warum kauft Frau, wenn sie zualledem noch die Ernährerin ist, die zwei Objekte der Begierde nicht schon viel viel früher? Warum verharrt eine so starke Frau so lange in einer unbefriedigenden Beziehung?
Ich verstehe es nicht.
Die Freundinn
katalinka
Mar 08, 2016 katalinka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maritim
Das ist meiner Meinung nach leider das schwächste Buch von Dora Heldt. Nahezu deprimierend wird die Scheidung zelebriert und das Eheleben und die Partnerschaft verteufelt.
Dazu gibt es kaum Handlung und ein paar weniger Figuren (die meisten haben gar keine wirkliche Funktion und man verwechselt sie schnell) hätten es auch getan. Außerdem ist die Geschichte ab und an moralisch widersprüchlich. Vom Ehemann betrogen werden ist übel, selbst mit verheirateten Männern schlafen aber völlig okay! :(
Susan
May 29, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
Typical self-published fare

I found myself wondering as I read Life After Forty whether the writing was translated from German poorly or if the prose was equally stilted in its original form. The author did manage to make a few astute observations about the conditions of living in a long term relationship and the joys of striking out on one's own at midlife. Without them, this book would have rated only a single star.
Angela
Dec 21, 2011 Angela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The problem with reading a book in translation is you're never sure when a book is bad, whether it's down to the translation or not. This book is terrible. Incredibly badly written with too many short sentences, too predictable a plot and just too devoid of anything interesting really.
I bought the kindle edition as it cost 99p, and I wanted a quick easy read, but I think even there the price-quality ratio leaves a lot to be desired.
MauroMC
Mar 25, 2016 MauroMC rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not bad but a little foregone.
  • Why I Love Singlehood
  • Choral Society
  • Im Pyjama um halb 4
  • Wuthering Heights: The Wild and Wanton Edition
  • Glasgow RAIN: Küsse im Regen
  • Dackelblick (Dackel Herkules, #1)
  • Cerulean Isle
  • The History of Lucy's Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters
  • Die Betrogene
  • Marshal of Hel Dorado (Fevered Hearts, #1)
  • Agatha Raisin Omnibus: The Quiche of Death, The Potted Gardener, The Vicious Vet and The Walkers of Dembley
  • For Tibet, with Love: A Beginner's Guide to Changing the World
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • Before the Witches (Dark Mission 0.5)

Christine (5 books)
  • Inseparable (Christine, #2)
  • Urlaub mit Papa (Christine, #3)
  • Tidal Shift (Christine, #4)
  • Kein Wort zu Papa (Christine, #5)

“Two different lives, held together by the bonds of many years and a shared daily routine. Friendly interaction without physical closeness. Shared plans for holidays and purchases as a way of proving to yourself that you have a future. Day by day, year by year, the same old routine.” 0 likes