Presumed Dead (A Dylan Scott Mystery #1)

Presumed Dead (A Dylan Scott Mystery #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Dylan Scott has problems. Dismissed in disgrace from the police force for assaulting a suspect, he has no job, his wife has thrown him out and-worse luck-his mother has moved in. So when Holly Champion begs him to investigate the disappearance of her mother thirteen years ago, he can't say no, even though it means taking up residence in the dreary Lancashire town of Dawson...more
Paperback
Published April 2011 by Carina Press (first published July 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Presumed Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Presumed Dead

Sheri
Presumed Dead (Dylan Scott, #1)Shirley WellsPresumed Dead
Mystery/Suspense. I have to admit this was one of the best books I have read in quite a while. Dylan Scoot was kicked off the police force in disgrace, and spent some time in prison. Down on his luck with no job, and his wife kicking him out, and worse yet his mother moving in. Then Holly Champion approaches him, she wants him to find out what happened to her mother Anita thirteen years ago. Reluctantly he takes on the case.

Soon he finds h...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
Originally reviewed for www.bookchickcity.com 4.5 Stars

Presumed Deadby Shirley Wells is a fast-paced crime novel that draws you in from the very first page, and you definitely won’t be left disappointed.

The novel begins by describing the predicament of our protagonist, Dylan Scott, who is currently separated from his wife and living in a rented apartment with his mother. He hates living like this, especially as he was dismissed from the police force for using undue force on an assailant. Howev

Babs
Dylan Scott has gotten out of prison for assaulting a suspect. His wife has kicked him out and his mother has moved into a tiny flat with Dylan. As he is trying to figure out what to do about his marriage and money, Holly Champion has contacted him to hunt her mother down who has been missing for 13 years. At first Dylan was wonder if he wanted the case or not. Off he goes to see Holly in Dawson's Clough. He decides he is indeed going to take the case after talking to Holly.
He finds out how sma...more
Linda Baker
I was fortunate enough to get a digital review copy of Presumed Dead through netgalley.com. I had absolutely no intention of reading it in one sitting, but rapidly found myself caught up in the story until the wee hours of the morning.

Dylan Scott is having a very bad patch in his life, disgraced, imprisoned on a charge of excessive force and losing his career on the London Police Force as a detective. Not only that, he is nearly penniless, booted out by his wife and is living in "the smallest fl...more
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
I want to tell you about this great mystery I just read... First of all, we have our hero, Dylan Scott. The poor man has had a bit of a tough run and we catch him trying to pull his life back to some normalcy. After being kicked off the police force and spending time in jail, his self-esteem and pride have taken a huge hit. His wife is tired of his attitude and kicks him out. Dylan’s chance to turn himself around falls to Holly Champion. He is contacted by Holly to find her missing mother and sh...more
Liz Fichera
I had been saving PRESUMED DEAD for a long holiday weekend. After reading it--or maybe it's better to say, inhaling it--I was glad that I did. The mystery was so cleverly crafted and there were so many twists and turns that I could not put it down. I loved Dylan Scott--his flaws, his subtle soft side, his Britishness. In a way, he sort of reminded me of Christopher Chance on HUMAN TARGET, but more real. The dialogue was also very authentic, the characters believable, and the setting very vivid....more
Marcelle Dube
Poor Dylan. Fired from the police department, kicked out by his wife... he’s a man at low ebb. But then Holly Champion comes to him for help in finding her mother, who disappeared 13 years earlier, and suddenly Dylan’s true nature rises to the surface. The man is dogged and thorough and he won’t stop until he learns exactly what happened to Holly’s mother all those years ago.

This was a fun read. I started out feeling sorry for Dylan (his mother moves in with him, for Pete’s sake) and ended up li...more
Maureen Miller
I need another Dylan Scott mystery!!! I finished this one and was so sad that it was over.

"She'll come around. She always does."

Poor Dylan Scott. While waiting on his wife to 'come around' he takes on the plight of a young woman determined to find out the fate of her mother who disappeared 13 years ago. The woman, Anita Champion interacted with a host of suspicious characters the night she disappeared and I could not get enough of hearing Dylan cajole each one into divulging more information.

Br...more
Wendy Soliman
An entertaining read that kept me guessing. Was put off by the hero's inability to wash his clothes. Not sure we needed that much information but overall a good insight into life in a small English town and the jealousies and resentments that arise. Didn't need to be told quite so many times that the hero's wife would come round because she always did but this well-written, fast moving crime novel was hard to put down.
Toni Anderson
I really loved this book. I enjoyed all the characters and the way the plot fit nicely together without any cliched action. I can see Dylan Scott being a regular in my TBR pile.
Kim
When I read the description of this book I thought it sounded interesting and I was curious about which track the author would take as there aren't really that many reasons for someone to go missing like this are there?

The storyline switches between Dylan's efforts to reunite with his estranged wife Beverley while spending time with his son and away from his mother and his time involved in trying to discover Anita Champion's last movements and what may have happened to her. We follow his movemen...more
Marissa Dobson

First off don't let the cover and title fool you, this is not a paranormal romance. Presumed Dead is a great mystery novel. I haven't read a old fashion mystery with out romance in a long time and Presumed Dead caught my attention. It is a great cover.

Dylan Scott was a great hero. He was down on his luck, after just being kicked off the police force and spending time in jail. He was in a bad mood, with his pride and self esteem taking a hit. It gets worse when his wife gets tired of his attitude...more
Leslie
Dylan Scott's life has been really messed up. Nothing seems to be going his way but when he finally gets a job it's not exactly something he wants to take but beggars can't be choosers and it will get him away from his mother, if only for a little while. Dylan doesn't think he'll find Anita Champion, it's been too long, but her daughter is willing to pay and Dylan needs the money.

The more Dylan finds out about Anita, the more he understands her and he is certain she never would have left her dau...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Dylan has been dismissed in disgrace from the police force for using unnessacary force on a suspect, he now has no job his wife has thrown him out and worse yet - his mum has come to live with him. So when Holly Champion begs him to investigate her mothers disappearance some thirteen years ago, he can, t say no.... even though it means taking up residence in in the dreary Lancashire town of Dawson,s Clough for the duration if the investigation. T he local police still believe that Anita Hollys m...more
Aileen
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway.

Appearances can be deceptive. The cover of this book made me think I was in for vampires, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Ex-cop Dylan Scott has been thrown out by his wife and faced with his mother moving into his tiny rental flat, he takes on the job of finding Holly Champion's mother Anita, who had just seemingly vanished 13 years ago when Holly was 11. Dylan travels to the small Lancashire town of Dawson's Clough where people remember Anita a...more
Francis T. Villante
Easy read

Easy read

this book was a fun read. it kept you thinking where the plot was headed next. it dragged along a little to much in the middle but the pace and action picked up towards the end. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an easy and enjoyable book to read.
Lawrencia Mensah
Poor, poor, poor Dylan. Fired from the police department, kicked out by his wife... he’s a man at low ebb. But then Holly Champion comes to him for help in finding her mother, who disappeared 13 years earlier, and suddenly Dylan’s true nature rises to the surface. The man is dogged and thorough and he won’t stop until he learns exactly what happened to Holly’s mother all those years ago.

Elise Warner
Dylan Scott, considered a sometime imperfect husband by his wife and persona non grata by the police, is a detective you'll want to spend time with. Dylan--in Presumed Dead by Shirley Wells-- searches for a lovely, lively woman who attracts many men and the jealousy of her so-called friends has been missing for too many years and is presumed dead by many in her community. Her daughter, Holly, hires Dylan to find out what's become of her and we're off on an exciting read.
Kathryn Moore
good story just took too long to tell it. It's the start of series with the same leading character.
An ex-police officer becomes a private detective.
Carolyn E
Feb 02, 2012 Carolyn E rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I enjoyed this book. It is the first book I have read by Shirley Wells and I found it intriguing. This is book #1 in her Dylan Scott Mystery series. I am looking forward to future books in this series.
I really enjoyed this novel. How much? My power went out and I had to know what was happening. I used the light from my Iphone and had to click every few seconds so I would have light!

Longer review to come!
susan murray
five stars brilliant read you actually felt part of the story also character came alive in my imagination.Very fast paced story having you unsure of the outcome one of the best I have ever read.
Crystal Durnan
Listening to the audiobook. Love the british narrator who is doing a wonderful job with all the different accents.

The protagonist is hilarious.
Lisa
My review can be viewed here at Night Owl Reviews:

Linda
A wonderful mystery - looking forward to more.
Delores Alger
Delores Alger marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Becca
Becca added it
Aug 20, 2014
Into the Shadows (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #1) A Darker Side (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #2) Dead Silent (A Dylan Scott Mystery #2) Silent Witness (A Dylan Scott Mystery #3) Where Petals Fall (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #3)