Start by marking “Truth Restored” as Want to Read:
Truth Restored

Truth Restored

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  3,228 ratings  ·  41 reviews
A Short History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Published (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Truth Restored, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truth Restored

Steve
The LDS church gives people a very sanitized version of its true history.
Jake
I’m giving this book two stars because I’m grading on an academic/historical curve. As such it is a soft piece, glossy and simplistic with a Sunday School approach. It is testimonial, not objective or comphrehensive.For instance, you won't find a forthright discussion of Joseph Smith's extensive forays into polygamy. As such, I would not recommend it for those wanting to make an academic study of Mormon history.

That being said, this book can be viewed as a useful primer to LDS beliefs. It is rea
Tanya W
As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I found this to be a spiritually uplifting book as well as a quick read. I read it on my mission. It tells of important events in church history, and as the title indicates, focuses on events of the Restoration.

For those not aware, restoration refers to our belief that Jesus's church was restored to the earth after a period of "falling away" or apostasy... when the gospel and prophets were no longer on earth in response to their bei
Tamra
Jan 14, 2009 Tamra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every Mormon
Recommended to Tamra by: the Church
This was given to me when I was 14 or so, by my Sunday School teacher. It came with Our Heritage the same year we were studying the Doctrine and Covenants. I started reading Our Heritage and almost instantly disliked it. It gives the fluffy cute version of church history, and at the time I had no patience for that.

Truth Restored, however, (which, as an aside: the book I was given does not even list the author. I didn't know it was written by Gordon B. Hinckley until years later) gave a fair des
Bryan Tanner
This book bored me. I did think the parallels between early Church history and the Old Testament were clever. I just didn't read it in the right spirit, i suppose.
Tara
Believe it or not, I found that I was bored one night (not that I didn't have anything to do, just that I didn't want to do any of it), so I headed to the bookshelf and "Truth Restored" caught my eye. I hadn't realized it was written by President Hinckley. It was wonderful to read about the history of the Church, and it kind of started me on a Church history kick. It is really fascinating. Although I already new much of the information, there were many bits of information that were new to me. I ...more
Fred D
I read this when I was either investigating the LDS Church or shortly after I joined, I don't remember which. It was my real introduction to Church History. I found it very interesting. At the time I didn't know much about Gordon B. Hinckley. Little did I know at the time that he would go on to lead the Church as one of it's greatest leaders of the century...
Danny
Now that I have listened to the Bio of President Gordon B. Hinckley and realized what an integral part he played in bringing the Church out of obscurity, I have an even greater sense of just how enlightened this account is of the Restoration of the Gospel by a backwoods farmboy chosen to be a prophet.
Heather
This is nearly all familiar history, though there were some things I didn't know, but President Hinckley has such a way with words. This is very much worth reading, and remembering what a remarkable time this was (and still is!). Makes me miss his Conference talks :)
Erin
I didn't know Pres. Hinckley wrote this book! Do they have it listed right? In any case, I read this on my mission and loved it, of course! It gives very detailed accounts of the Restoration.
Catherine
I liked this book because it was really informative about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. I learned things that I hadn't known before. It is a really good reference.
Chanel Earl
I know I liked this book, but it wasn't the most memorable read. Even a week or two after I read it I was having trouble remembering the specific historical information it presented.
Jane
rather simplistic. Perhaps he needed to keep it short. No real explanation of certain doctrines.
Other details were new to me. There are probably better texts out there.
Clint
An inspiring, short summary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints written by one of it's modern prophets.
Jeffrey
Great read on the steps and events of the restoration. A very comprehensive and wonderful read on the restoration.
Luis Vaz
Special book if you want to know the story of the restoration. The challenges from the beggining, etc.
Allirock
I love the gospel, it is amazing reading books like this on my mission only confirmed my faith in it.
Jami
Too short for my taste. Lots of important history left out. As a quickie overview, it's fine.
April
Pres. Hinckley did a marvelous job at writing such a consice history. I learned a lot.
Keli Wright
Feb 22, 2008 Keli Wright rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: eveyone
Recommended to Keli by: Eric Bundy
This was a great book to read as a new convert and to learn more about the gospel.
David
Historically accurate depiction of the restoration of God's authority on earth.
Rex
A good introductory book to the restoration for those new to Mormonism.
Ernie Dawson
This book is a companion book for those studying church history.
Katie
It's been a while since I read this book, but I really liked it.
Shelly
This is a great book. It was required reading for my mission.
David
Good, basic history of the Latter-day saint movement.
Chip
One of the major reasons I joined the church I'm in now.
Lauren
one time growing up, my family read this as scripture study
Annie
It was not as detailed as I was expecting.
Mitchem Lee
A simple and accurate history of the LDS church.
  • Gospel Principles
  • Marvelous Work and a Wonder
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Mormon Doctrine
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Our Search for Happiness
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Because He First Loved Us
President Hinckley was known, even at the age of 95, as a tireless leader who always put in a full day at the office and traveled extensively around the world to mix with Church members, now numbering nearly 13 million in 171 nations.

His quick wit and humor, combined with an eloquent style at the pulpit, made him one of the most loved of modern Church leaders. A profoundly spiritual man, he had a
More about Gordon B. Hinckley...
Standing for Something: 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes Way to Be!: 9 Rules For Living the Good Life Stand a Little Taller One Bright Shining Hope Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley