Start by marking “A Bride's Story, Vol. 02” as Want to Read:
A Bride's Story, Vol. 02

A Bride's Story, Vol. 02 (Otoyomegatari #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  1,457 ratings  ·  101 reviews
Acclaimed creator Kaoru Mori's tale of life on the nineteenth-century Silk Road continues as the young bride, Amir Halgal, struggles to remain with her new groom despite the wishes of her family, who would see her wed another. Will Amir be able to preserve the bonds she has cultivated in her new home?
Published October 25th 2011 by Yen Press (first published June 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Bride's Story, Vol. 02, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bride's Story, Vol. 02

Pandora Hearts, Vol. 07 by Jun MochizukiDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaChobits, Vol. 05 by CLAMPBlack Butler, Vol. 06 by Yana TobosoA Bride's Story, Vol. 01 by Kaoru Mori
Best Manga Covers
35th out of 416 books — 98 voters
Sket Dance, Vol. 1 by Kenta ShinoharaYu Yu Hakusho, Volume 1 by Yoshihiro TogashiA Bride's Story, Vol. 02 by Kaoru MoriLittle Busters!, Volume 1 by Hinoue ItaruThe Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 1 by Nagaru Tanigawa
Best Manga/Anime from age 12
3rd out of 5 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Estara
Oct 23, 2011 Estara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of historical Silk road slice of life
Recommended to Estara by: It's the mangaka of Emma!
Monica!
The second volume of Bride's Story deserves ten stars for gorgeous illustrations, and maybe two stars for plot, so I'm rounding to three and calling it good.

I don't know if it was because I am not particularly interested in the weaving abilities and poetry skills of clanspeople on the silk road, or because the omgwhatness of a naked 20-year-old thinking lusty thoughts about her 12-year-old husband had sort of worn off by this point, or just because the wordless fight scenes (especially when read
Sesana
Like the previous volume of A Bride's Story, this one was marked by an obviously huge amount of research and painstaking attention to detail. Oh, and incredibly beautiful art, as you can easily see from the cover. Plot? Not so much, though there does seem to be a bit more than in the previous volume. This is historical slice of life, really. If nothing else, this is well worth reading just for the beautiful art. Apparently, the next volume will slightly shift scenery and main characters, so this ...more
Erin Germain
The artwork continues to delight and amaze me. There was a chapter where the women were discussing embroidery and different patterns that were associated with their family. The detail in those panels was so wonderful.

The story does not move at the rapid-fire pace some manga does, but it does advance. Amir's relatives have not given up their attempts to bring her back to the clan so they can marry her off to someone else whom they consider to be more advantageous.

I have Volume 3 arriving soon and
Ariel
This manga is a historical romance set in a small town near the Caspian Sea in the 19th Century. Otoyogematari means "A Bride's Story" in English, so the stories revolve around courting, weddings, and married life of the people during that time period.

The illustrations are beautiful! Kaori Mori goes all out on the elaborate clothing and draperies that adorn the characters and their houses. The backgrounds are lovely and Mori certainly does not skimp on inking the endlessly long, dark hair of eve
Sakura Yue Michaelis
Amir's family want her back to marry her to another more powerful man, since she is not pregnant (and I hope she won't be for at least another 4 years!). It was sweet to see how the people in her new village fight against her family to keep her. And Karluk does not stay still; he defends his wife, making Amir look at him with different eyes. Their relationship is so sweet, theme looking at each other alone is awwww.

Amir makes a new friend, Pariya, who is a tsundere; she can't find any partner be
John Wiswell
After a thoroughly charming first book, A Bride’s Story almost lost me here.

The first book had little and very quiet plot. It was sometimes sophisticated at how it deployed that plot, particularly at juxtaposing panels to suggest what characters were thinking, but focused on simple things like family learning archery for kicks. It was pleasant to read a story with so little conflict, and Mori drew it so well that it was always a pleasure to look at it.

This volume opens with a story called “The B
Maria
Originally posted on my blog: http://fantasysink.blogspot.ca/

Plot:
Chapter 6 was about Amir going to Oven Day, a day where the women gather and bake bread in a special room. With this chapter, I felt we got a better sense of the town and another piece of the culture and lives of these people. It was a pretty short chapter, but it felt like it was longer.

Chapter 7 and 8 were two parts and dealt with the conflict of Amir's clan trying to reclaim her so they could marry her off to the Numaji tribe.
Rachel
Another well-researched and fascinating glimpse into the lives of young brides in Turkmenistan. This volume is a continuation of the story from the first volume, featuring the same bride, Amir. She meets a new friend Pariya, a younger girl whose parents are having trouble marrying her off because she is very vocal about who she is and what she wants, at the communal ovens. She can’t embroider, but makes amazingly detailed breads. Amir takes her under her wing and tries to teach her how to use th ...more
Cristian
Jocilyn
In v.2 we see the conclusion? of the clan feud that began in v.1 as well as the departure of the participant anthropologist, Mr. Smith. But really those things weren't what made the story for me...
Bride's Story really makes excellent women's lit and the stories about bread making, teaching your daughter to improve her embroidery, fertility pilgrimages, etc. give the reader a wonderful peak into the lives of women in multi-generational Central Asian clans. The chapter on embroidery is utterly be
Ashleigh
I like this series--you certainly won't get tired of looking at the characters--so beautifully drawn, but I also find myself a little frustrated. You'll see how Amira is so devoted to her husband, but you don't necessarily know why. Granted, hearing exactly what she's thinking would not necessarily make their relationship more believable, and I do enough attempting to interrupt the tortured looks between the two of them... But, I could go for some flashbacks.

Get pumped for some information on t
Mely
The detail work is as lovely as ever (there are some lovely sequences about sewing clothes and quilts, and some silent sequences about the growing closeness between Amir and Karluk that are vivid and endearing), but this volume goes further into squicky/disappointing territory for me -- the difference between 13 and 20 is so big that I just have a hard time buying Amir's attraction to Karluk, and her seeking his comfort/protection just seems wrong. He's a child! She should be protecting him! Or ...more
MissAnnThrope
20 April 2013

A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 is another breathtakingly beautiful creation by Kaoru Mori. To be honest, she could draw the characters sitting around picking their noses and I would still read anything she puts out. The time and dedication put into her intricately detailed artwork makes me feel like she's gifting me a wonderful treasure to be forever cherished. The plot is definitely secondary to the gorgeous illustrations, but I don't mind one bit.

(view spoiler)
Mike
A Bride's Story is a slice of life story and this volume stands pretty well on it's own, with the key situational elements easy to pick up on. That said it is a direct continuation from volume 1 and features the same characters, so it's best to start there.

** This review contains no spoilers either volume. **

Volume 2 continues to follow Amir as she adjusts to life in her new village with her young husband and new family. The first half picks up the pace a bit from volume 1. The spotlight is on A
Shweta
My love for this series just keeps growing and with the second volume of A Bride’s Story I have come to a realization that the art of story telling lies in the attention paid to minute details. Though a good central plot is very essential for a book, be it a comic, a graphic novel or a full fledged novel, its the surrounding atmosphere that plays a vital role in giving the story its credibility. Bride’s Story has dollops of it! The characters from Silk Route of early nineteenth come to life in a ...more
Andrea
Sep 09, 2013 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Andrea by: Rachel
Nothing quite makes you think about culture as much as marriage norms. Is it OK for a twenty-year-old and a twelve-year-old to be married, and if so, how should they act? Is their growing love creepy or sweet? I'm torn between both, which is why it's so good at getting people to notice their own cultural norms and see their value and how in other circumstances other norms would make sense.

Does having a person's worth based on how well they can embroider make any more or less sense than having it
Mark Schlatter
Of all the things I did not expect from a Mori story, this volume has a fight scene. Several fight scenes, in fact, as the family of the young bride tries to reclaim her. Mori does a good job building the tension, although I found some transitions in the action a bit muddled.

The star piece of the volume, however, is a chapter on the art of embroidery and the different fabrics created by the women of the family. Mori excels both in the artwork and the stories behind each piece of cloth.
C
This book continues the story of Amir and her young husband.

I love it when a book makes me want to learn more about something in history, and this does it. Never let it be said graphic novels are not worthwhile.

I really loved that she (Kaoru Mori) really gets into the textiles and showcases the hand embroidered clothes that were such a rich part of the culture. There is so much detail in the illustrations and a wonderful explanation about the history and lore of the embroidered patterns. I don'
Ariella
You can read more of my reviews here

More of my manga love for all you peoplez :)

Vol. 2 in this series actually wraps up the story of Amir pretty well. You'll get to see more of her in Vol. 3 but she isn't the main character anymore. In this volume, we're struggling more with Amir's tribe. They want her back to give her to another tribe. Her new family doesn't give her up easily though. The whole town fights for her.

What I like to emphasize is the beautiful drawing. Everything is so detailed :)
Mayday
Mengagetkan ketika tau bahwa seorang wanita harus dikorbankan hidupnya hanya karena keluarganya butuh tanah seperti ini, tapi begitulah kehidupan di suku-suku Asia Tengah. Beruntung sekali Amira ini, walau dia tidak tau siapa yang akan dinikahinya, tapi dia mendapat Karluk dan keluarga yang benar-benar mau melindunginya. Tidak semua wanita seberuntung Amira.

Gambaran Kaoru Mori-sensei tentang suku lain (suku terdahulu Amira), bajunya, rambutnya, keren sekali, halus dan diskripif sekali. Walau seh
Emma
I'm so glad that I continued reading this series! I love how Amir's character is adjusting to her new life and connecting with those around her. In this volume, tensions with Amir's former clan increase greatly, cultural elements and activities are highlighted, and Mr. Smith's habits gain a focus as well. And, as usual, the art continues to contain vivid detail. Even though everything is in black and white, the pictures sometimes seem to jump out of the pages.
Jessica Day
Joint Review of Vol 1 & 2
I don’t often read manga or graphic novels but the bright pink, ornamental cover of A Bride’s Story caught my eye. I ended up really enjoying it. The artwork was pleasing to the eye, the plot kept me interested and I liked the main character. Amir is a strong protagonist and she makes for a good story.
If anything, my problem with this book was the age level it was set for. While I found it in a bookshelf next to The Avengers and Twilight: A Graphic Novel, I would not
Julie
This is a really enjoyable series. The artwork is beautiful, the characters are endearing, and the setting/time period is just fascinating.

Yet again (probably because Mori does seinen manga) there is kind of random unnecessary nudity - not really sexualized... just bath scenes. *shrug*

The clothing alone is stunning and probably takes an inordinate amount of time to draw.
Kirsten
The story continues! The main source of drama here is that the girl Amira's tribe of origin sent to another rival tribe to seal an alliance has died (under suspicious circumstances, as it turns out) and her brother and uncle are sent to fetch her away from Karluk's tribe and dissolve the marriage. Fortunately for Amira, her new family are having none of that...

I know some reviewers are squicked by the age difference between Amira and Karluk, but I'm finding myself able to roll with it. I like th
Megan Sanchez
I am truly in awe of this series. A Bride's Story is a historical slice of life manga with beautiful artwork and wonderful characters. The love story between Amir and Karluk is sweet and genuine. In this volume, Amir's clan attempts to take her back to marry her off to another family. The village comes together to protect Amir and their land. We also get to meet Pariya, a young girl from the village who is having trouble finding a husband. There are also some great culture clash moments, as Mr. ...more
Keiran Thegreat
This, the second, volume of Kaoru Mori's wonderful Bride's Story series continues the high standards of artwork and narrative she set in part one. The lifestyle, costumes and history of the areas we see in this Manga provide a fabulous backdrop to the story of out newly wed heroes and their friends.
Sereneblaze
The 2nd installment in the series. This still follows Amir and Karluk.

The death of a Halgal bride to the Numaji clan leaves the Halgal clan in danger of losing a good amount of land unless they can come up with another bride to give to the Numaji. Since Amir Has been given to the Eihon not too long ago and surely has yet to bear children the Halgals seek to take her back to keep access to necessary grazing lands. Of course that does not bode well with the clan who now sees Amir as family and the
Lolkatings
I LOVED this manga. My favorite, by far. The history of it, the richness of the story and the details, are all amazing and fascinating. The main character is beautiful and strong and amazing. I can't wait to read the rest of series.
Bogi Takács
The story is going in a more slice-of-life direction rather than an overarching plot (the only plot elements seem to be a rehash of #1), but so far I'm content just looking at the art. I'll see how long my enthusiasm will last!
  • Bunny Drop 2 (Bunny Drop, #2)
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 2
  • ¡Yotsuba! Vol. 11 (Yotsuba&! #11)
  • Wandering Son: Volume Two
  • Cross Game 3 (Cross Game, #6-7)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008 (Pluto, #8)
  • Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 04 (Library Wars: Love &  War, #4)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 03
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
Kaoru Mori (森 薫) is a mangaka best known for her series "Emma". Many of her stories are set in Britain and center on characters who are maids.
More about Kaoru Mori...

Otoyomegatari (6 books)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 01
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 03
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 04
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 05
  • 乙嫁語り 6 [Otoyomegatari 6]
A Bride's Story, Vol. 01 Emma, Vol. 01 Emma, Vol. 02 A Bride's Story, Vol. 03 Emma, Vol. 03