Start by marking “Bleach Volume 21: Be My Family or Not (Bleach #21)” as Want to Read:
Bleach Volume 21: Be My Family or Not (Bleach #21)

Bleach Volume 21: Be My Family or Not (Bleach #21)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  4,190 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Cleaning up the afterlife – one spirit at a time!

R to L (Japanese Style). Cleaning up the afterlife – one spirit at a time!

Ichigo Kurosaki never asked for the ability to see ghosts, he was born with the gift. When his family is attacked by a Hollow (a malevolent lost soul) Ichigo becomes a Soul Reaper, dedicating his life to protecting the innocent and
Published October 2nd 2007 by VIZ Media LLC (first published March 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bleach Volume 21, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bleach Volume 21

Kirsten
This volume wasn't so good. At first I was thinking it was because nothing really happened, but that's not true -- a LOT happened. The problem is that I really felt there needed to be more of a transition between the Soul Society storyline and the next one. I know these are serial novels and something has to HAPPEN in ever issue, but this one felt particularly like a bombardment.
Per-Nik
For past 21 books: Ichigo Kurosaki wants nothing more than to save his friend Rukia from her home: the Soul Society. She committed a crime to fulfill her job, but was sentenced to death anyway by the council of 46, the governing body of the Soul Society. Ichigo has Rukia taken away and with his irresistible urge to protect his friends, he rushes into the most secure place in the Soul Society. But getting in isn't meant to happen. Ichigo is met with hard challenges and rough opponents, so he trai ...more
M. Ashraf
For me watching the anime together with this, it took a semi-long time getting through the whole Bount thing :/ which the manga skipped entirely and thank god it did :)
I don't know if I to consider those two season as filler :) to the main story...
Anyways I'm glad it was over and to continue with the main story with Aizen and his evil plan...
I'm kinnda missing the difference between the Arrancar and Vizards :/they both got hollows without their masks but still different :/ and wasn't Kisuke resp
Sophia F
Vendea
Hihihihi, Shinji na scéně.
Lord
Nov 04, 2008 Lord rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I don't like the post-Soul Society development. I mean, Ishida's father being a quincy and Ichigo's father being a soul reaper? I'm not sure where this manga is heading but I won't probably buy next volume for a while.
Tim
Taruia
Jul 13, 2014 Taruia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bleachists!
Daniel
One of the weaker, books.
MissAnnThrope
15 November 2012

Bleach, Volume 21: Be My Family or Not shows a slightly softer side of Byakuya, who reveals a secret about Rukia's past. His tragic revelation explains the reasoning behind his actions against Rukia, and the inner turmoil he struggled with because of it. In true Byakuya fashion, his confession is a bit stoic, but I find that oddly endearing. Makes me want to hug him and melt that icy exterior heh heh heh ...

After several volumes of serious epic battles, some of the silliness we g
Megan
Sara
Georgina Howlett
This volume of Bleach was full of great moments. I loved how emotional it was and how everything was tied up about Rukia's rescue; Ichigo's understanding of her wishes and Byakuya's confessions of the truth about Hisana and Rukia was just phenomenal. I felt like tearing up!

I'm sad that Uryu has lost his powers, but I've seen some promise of them returning via his father. His father looks to be creepy, and the cost of recovering his powers seems high, but hopefully everything will be okay in the
Piyush Puri
Felt that the transition from the Soul Society to the earth world was missing. Also two fathers with super-powers in the same book felt a little forced. That too, when there hasn't been any hint of it happening in the previous volumes. All in all, a disappointment after the amazing battles in the last few books.
Harley
in a single volume you get: Urahara being honest for the very first time, the introduction of Hirako and the Vizard storyline (one of my absolute favorites), and Isshin revealing his powers and identity. Awesome.
Stephen  Alff (AlffBooks)
Bleach was definitely very interesting to read and different to what I usually read. I enjoyed the whole soul reaper concept and how we find out more and more about the main character as the story goes on.

It's a fast read and is easy to understand but gets progressively more difficult to follow parts of the story due to there being so many different characters that can be qualified as important in the progression of the story.

I would recommend it for the story line and the graphics but I do feel
Robert Beveridge
Tite Kubo, Bleach: Be My Family of Not (ViZ, 2001)

The time has come for Ichigo and friends to return to Earth. Summer vacation is over, the Soul Society's problems are fixed (well, they're out of that plane of existence, anyway), and it's not like hollows have just vanished from Earth, right? So back everyone goes. We get some revelations about previously minor characters who seem as if they're going to become major characters, and someone new is introduced as another foil for Ichigo. It did see
Holly Fetter
Tying up the Soul Society arc and setting up new storylines. Don't want to spoil anything, but...dang. Isshin. Can't wait to see what happens with Uryû and his dad either.
Kereesa
Read this while killing time in the library the other day.
Volume 21 of BLEACH is basically two things: a small conclusion to the events in the Soul Society arc and the beginning of the Arrancar arc (which at the moments isn't as good as it will be..muahahahaha).
As always the art is beautiful. I love the way Kubo draws, especially his characters, they're all so interesting. For a good majority of this volume there was a lot of comedic elements that made me laugh out loud while the rest is set-up
Annchan Maulana
Bleach
Ichigo Kurosaki has ability to see ghosts.
The story begin from the day when he meet with one of the member of Soul Society name Rukia Kuchiki. The member of that society are called shinigami.
The shinigamis are have a duty to fighting a Hollow - evil spirit from humans who display psychic energy.
And after Ichigo know the truth about the world he live with his family is one full of dangerous spirits, he learn to become Shinigami, and his job now along with Rukia is to protect the world fro
Henry
Aug 24, 2009 Henry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
This volume starts the next story arch. After returning to the real world, Ichigo and friends try to put the Soul Society saga behind them. A new semester starts at school, and they try to fall back in to the routines of their lives. But soon they find themselves fighting a new kind of hollow, and Ichigo has to deal with a new student that is more than what he seems.

This volume provides some curious insight in to some of the characters and has some very cool and wild plot twists towards the end
Bbabri
Miután Aizen-ék leléptek, mindenki próbálja kipihenni a sérüléseit. Rangiku, Kira és Hisagi szokás szerint isznak. :-D
Rukia végre rászánta magát, hogy bocsánatot kérjen Kuukaku-tól.
Byakuya elmondta Rukia-nak, az igazságot. És végre emberszámba veszi Rukia-t. Bár eddig is ezt tette, de most ki is nyilvánította. Rukia ott maradt Soul Society-ben, a többiek pedig visszamentem az Emberek világába.
Feltűnik Shinji is. Ő az egyik kedvenc karakterem. És végre fény derül Isshin képességeire is…
Jay
I've taken a while to come to the decision if I like this series or not. but this book's conclusion I feel made the journey worthwhile because the plot became more enjoyable as the series of books passed. The copy I read came from the 21 books box set that is available to buy.

I was also worried that I'd hate it but now I think I will revisit each volume and maybe look at getting the next set of books! :)

Definitely recommend - though be sure to start at the series beginning!
Jeffrey
After wrapping up loose ends from the Soul Society arc, Tite Kubo tries to elevate the game by introducing a new element to the struggle and revealing a couple of choice secrets. This works especially well in the case of the one related to Ichigo's background and leaves open interesting avenues for future exploration. A solid in-between book with something good to look forward to.
Susan
This is making a lot more sense than the first time I read some of these chapters when Shonen Jump started running them. I'm glad Rukia's brother had a halfway decent reason for behaving like an ass, even if it did involve playing the dead girlfriend card (seriously, Kubo-sensei, what is up with all the dead wives and girlfriends? Can't you think of anything else?).

Many interesting revelations in this one.
Soul
Jul 11, 2011 Soul rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
well once you get the idea of the whole concept i.e Soul Society, Shinagami etc...
you will finish one volume within an hour. i mean it is that addictive. talk about a page turner.
it is a great experience to read this series. the whole concept is neatly implemented.

there r lot's of twists and turns to keep you hooked to this series.

so all in all Worth 4.5 stars out of 5.
Alexis Masters

- An old enemy chases Kon
- Tell Your Children the Truth
- Arrancar
Talyn
This one was average. Great. Now I have to put up with the shitty comedy in this manga. I really, really hate this manga when it's not being excessively dark with its protagonists and antagonists. I really don't care about any of you "heroes". Seriously.

Gin... Come back to me please T__T
Jenni Noordhoek
And with that, we're free and clear of the initial Soul Society arc. I was hoping we'd get a breather, though. Honestly, I was much more pleased with the start of the series than I am now. But I'll give it four stars again in hopes that it goes back to why I liked it in the first place.
anenko
The Soul Society arc comes to a conclusion, and we finally get to see some old friends again. While I was spoiled on this front, I still loved the Isshin reveal.
Whoa! 1 10 Sep 10, 2007 05:36PM
  • Naruto, Vol. 25: Brothers (Naruto, #25)
1977
久保 帯人, also transliterated Taitou Kubo, Taito Kubo, or Jiu bao dai ren.

The son of a town council member in Fuchu, Aki District, Hiroshima. He never took drawing seriously until he was 17; after reading Dragon Ball he knew he wanted to be a manga artist. At the age of 18 he submitted his first concept for the series Zombiepowder but it got rejected. Zombiepowder was rejected multiple times until K
More about Tite Kubo...

Bleach (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Bleach, Vol. 1: Strawberry and the Soul Reapers (Bleach, #1)
  • Bleach Volume 02: Goodbye Parakeet, Good Night My Sister (Bleach, #2)
  • Bleach Volume 03: Memories in the Rain (Bleach #3)
  • Bleach Volume 04: Quincy Archer Hates You (Bleach #4)
  • Bleach Volume 05: Right Arm of the Giant (Bleach #5)
  • Bleach Volume 06: The Death Trilogy Overture (Bleach #6)
  • Bleach Volume 07: The Broken Coda (Bleach #7)
  • Bleach Volume 08: The Blade and Me (Bleach #8)
  • Bleach Volume 09: Fourteen Days for Conspiracy (Bleach #9)
  • Bleach Volume 10: Tattoo on the Sky (Bleach #10)
Bleach, Vol. 1: Strawberry and the Soul Reapers (Bleach, #1) Bleach Volume 15: Beginning of the Death of Tomorrow (Bleach #15) Bleach Volume 03: Memories in the Rain (Bleach #3) Bleach Volume 02: Goodbye Parakeet, Good Night My Sister (Bleach, #2) Bleach Volume 14: White Tower Rocks (Bleach #14)

“Every thing in this world exist to wear you down” 29 likes